New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

02-10-2022, 08:16 AM   #23
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

From this year there will be no communication with the race director or anyone that is connected to him in his office from members of any F1 team should an 'emergency situation' or what is considered an emergency situation arise.
''Mikey,what was that'' ''No Mikey no, that is so not right'' ''The lap must be re-taken again''
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2022, 08:40 AM   #24
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
From this year there will be no communication with the race director or anyone that is connected to him in his office from members of any F1 team should an 'emergency situation' or what is considered an emergency situation arise.
''Mikey,what was that'' ''No Mikey no, that is so not right'' ''The lap must be re-taken again''
No doubt most will applaud the change. This is a good first step to ensure that the 2022 WDC is truly a legitimate winner...not a product of the race director.
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2022, 08:53 AM   #25
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3798j View Post
No doubt most will applaud the change. This is a good first step to ensure that the 2022 WDC is truly a legitimate winner...not a product of the race director.
The race directors decision will be final and for the good of the sport and fans, unfortunately at times whatever rules point to any situation they may have to be slightly modified to take in any agreements that have been made pre-race.
Felipe Massa director of the GPDA will foreseeing that there is consistency in this respect.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2022, 09:02 AM   #26
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
Quote:
The race directors decision will be final and for the good of the sport and fans, unfortunately at times whatever rules point to any situation they may have to be slightly modified to take in any agreements that have been made pre-race.
Felipe Massa director of the GPDA will foreseeing that there is consistency in this respect.
My fingers are crossed...and hopes run high that future WDC recipients are actually deserving. Race fans everywhere would like to see the award once again have meaning.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 09:11 AM   #27
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
My fingers are crossed...and hopes run high that future WDC recipients are actually deserving. Race fans everywhere would like to see the award once again have meaning.
You saw how happy race fans were worldwide when the race was promoted to green status for a one lap shoot out with just the championship contenders left to battle it out.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2022, 09:14 AM   #28
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
Quote:
You saw how happy race fans were worldwide when the race was promoted to green status for a one lap shoot out with just the championship contenders left to battle it out.
And I like hearing that this year Red Bull will try to win the WDC for Max without any outside help. I find that laudable...A win without a cloud hanging over it.
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2022, 11:52 AM   #29
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
I'll have to do some research but will give careful consideration.

Meanwhile
Did you finish your popcorn
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2022, 08:34 PM   #30
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Did you finish your popcorn
nope
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60013.50
      02-11-2022, 12:08 AM   #31
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

The word "fair" hasn't been synonymous with F1 for the past 3-4 decades. When Bernie ran sh1t, he did like a mob boss.

Last edited by M3WC; 02-11-2022 at 12:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2022, 12:30 AM   #32
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Think its time to move on...the season is over. New cars are already being released.

Lets not act like this is the first controversial ending to a season.

Last edited by M3WC; 02-11-2022 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2022, 07:10 AM   #33
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
The word "fair" hasn't been synonymous with F1 for the past 3-4 decades. When Bernie ran sh1t, he did like a mob boss.
If you attended and followeed F1 races in the decades before Bernie took charge, then you know the house that Bernie built is on such solid ground because of his dictator approach. He brought order and a sense of professionalism that the series lacked. From the most simple things, like every venue having the same timetable (starting at an exact time) and selling television rights to countries only if they would broadcast the event live and complete (not taped delayed and edited). He demanded host countries improve their track's facilities and safety measures. I could go on at length with the changes he dictated (yes dictated), but they were all done to improve the show...and yes with that, right or wrong, line his pockets with the wealth that the successes brought. He so fine tuned the series that countries lined up, asking and paying to host a GP.
Now for the last time I'll again point out the glaring, single most problem with Masi...allowing backmarkers between the 2nd and 3rd place cars on the restart, but clearing them between the 1st and 2nd. The fact that those first two cars were vying for the WDC (and there's some backroom agreement) has nothing to do with it. You run the show fairly across the field and if you fail in that...you must be removed. Until this terrible blemish on the sport is admitted and corrected by those in charge future outcomes will be viewed with suspect.
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2022, 07:31 AM   #34
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

You are very eager to play the seniority card.....to hide your bitterness over Lewis' lost championship....

I didn't hear you complain when Masi urged RB/Ver to give back the lead to HAM in the Saudi arabia GP during the red flag (lap17) instead of letting the stewards to solve the issue....

And regarding leaving the backmarkers between VER and SAI..... I think that is for SAI/Ferrari to complain about? And afaik he didn't... he has enough common sense.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 02-11-2022 at 07:38 AM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60013.50
      02-11-2022, 07:49 AM   #35
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Think its time to move on...the season is over. New cars are already being released.

Lets not act like this is the first controversial ending to a season.
Exactly, adults should know life isn't fair. Sometimes it can be down right cruel! Also, no one ever mentions HAM wasn't guaranteed victory. If not for yellow other things still could have gone wrong like engine failure, tyre puncture or even another crash.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
M5Rick60013.50
      02-11-2022, 08:27 AM   #36
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
You are very eager to play the seniority card.....to hide your bitterness over Lewis' lost championship....

I didn't hear you complain when Masi urged RB/Ver to give back the lead to HAM in the Saudi arabia GP during the red flag (lap17) instead of letting the stewards to solve the issue....

And regarding leaving the backmarkers between VER and SAI..... I think that is for SAI/Ferrari to complain about? And afaik he didn't... he has enough common sense.
I'm not a Hamilton fan but I do believe he and Verstappen are the two fastest drivers today. I don't like either of their racing styles. I do feel sorry for Verstappen having a WDC awarded under a cloud. I will admit I have very poor opinions of both these guys but for very different reasons. Would I want to have a beer with either one? Absolutely not.
As for the seniority card...I merely wanted to point out how F1 went from a nearly broke and disjointed series with seemingly no guidance to the jewel it has become...and my disappointment over questionable Masi (and stewards) decisions. Nothing about how the 2021 season was handled is admirable.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2022, 11:22 AM   #37
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:

As for the seniority card...I merely wanted to point out how F1 went from a nearly broke and disjointed series with seemingly no guidance to the jewel it has become...and my disappointment over questionable Masi (and stewards) decisions. Nothing about how the 2021 season was handled is admirable.
But if you're talking about the period before ecclestone, you're talking about the 60's and 50's. 6 or 7 decades ago was a different time in itself.
Ecclestone himself is also from time to time a questionable man.
And I don't think F1 is now more of a 'jewel' than say in the 80's and 90's
It's now a sport where there's too little competition between constructors, and then I mean engine constructors where teams try to influence other teams in their political stands.
This is something which is far more present now than say 2 or 3 decades ago, when it was normal that 5-10 engine manufacturers were present.

Also Masi expressed his desire that races should be more decided on the track than as a result of strickt regulations.
He said that in the saudi GP when he offered VER to give up his 1st place to Ham (well...OCO) prior for when the Stewards would step in.
And in that light the decision of Masi to not have the 2021 championship decided under safety car was perfectly predictable.
MERC should have pushed BOT to drive faster so that VER would not have been able to have a pitstop (twice!) without losing position. But BOT failed miserably.
Everyone knows that safety cars and virtual safety cars are very much in favour of the car trailing behind, so MERC should have anticipated on that more by having BOT put more pressure on VER.
Ver making the aggressive move to box directly (I think it was even a virtual safetycar) and go to reds....that is a strategy I'd like to see rewarded.
RB maximized their strategy by having PER hold up HAM.

Having the championship decided under safetycar ....meh, that would have been a very dull decision.

Whether or not Masi should stay?
I don't know. We all look back at Whiting and how good he was and that that sets the bar.
But first of all, isn't that bar a little high? and 2nd I think Whiting was pretty much a director that solved things behind closed curtains, whereas I think that Masi does things more in the open. At least that's my general feeling about it; of course I wasn't there at all the meetings and decision making; none of us were.
I guess for both strategies is something to say.
Personally I like the closed curtains, because F1 is such a complicated sport behind the scenes with all sorts of grudges and bonds to cash in. I don't think bringing in someone outside from F1 is good in that regard.
I think Scott Elkins would be a better choice than Freitas, but he has just a new position in DTM.
Elkins worked under Whiting just as Masi did.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 02-11-2022 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60013.50
      02-11-2022, 12:26 PM   #38
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
Everyone has their own reasons for liking/following Formula 1. Mine is more about the cars, followed by the teams and finally the drivers. I'm satisfied if for whatever reason a race ends under caution, but it's not something to wish for. For one person taking it upon themselves to make things more exciting, my feeling is they don't have the right to mess with it. To me, I think Masi learned very little from Charlie. Charlie's name rarely came up during a race...that's a complement to the job he did. As for heights of bars or where they are, I'd be upset with any referee, umpire, or race director who continually made incorrect calls.
As for eras, there's a thread of sameness through all of them except for greater professionalism running races themselves. As for Bernie in F1, he was manager to one of my favorite World Champions, principal to one of my favorite teams, and when he managed F1 he took it to be the incredible product it is today.
If you have 6 minutes, watch this video. Nick Mason does the intro, the Brabham "Fan Car" is the focus, Gordon Murray's comments are the reason I'd like you to watch. It begins with winning and ends with why it's important to win correctly (Murray says he's still upset).

Don't think that I'm against winning, I'm just for winning right. When fans have to defend a WDC by quoting number of polls, number of laps led, and number of wins...rather than number of points scored (the actual metric the award gets won), it points to Masi and his actions.
I want a new race director and I just can't see why someone would want Masi to stay.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2022, 01:03 PM   #39
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
If you attended and followeed F1 races in the decades before Bernie took charge, then you know the house that Bernie built is on such solid ground because of his dictator approach. He brought order and a sense of professionalism that the series lacked. From the most simple things, like every venue having the same timetable (starting at an exact time) and selling television rights to countries only if they would broadcast the event live and complete (not taped delayed and edited). He demanded host countries improve their track's facilities and safety measures. I could go on at length with the changes he dictated (yes dictated), but they were all done to improve the show...and yes with that, right or wrong, line his pockets with the wealth that the successes brought. He so fine tuned the series that countries lined up, asking and paying to host a GP.
Now for the last time I'll again point out the glaring, single most problem with Masi...allowing backmarkers between the 2nd and 3rd place cars on the restart, but clearing them between the 1st and 2nd. The fact that those first two cars were vying for the WDC (and there's some backroom agreement) has nothing to do with it. You run the show fairly across the field and if you fail in that...you must be removed. Until this terrible blemish on the sport is admitted and corrected by those in charge future outcomes will be viewed with suspect.
Two of the most controversial endings to a season happened under Bernie. 1989 Senna/Prost went off track in Suzuka, Prost car was retired. Senna got out of gravel trap with help from marshels and went on to win the race. Race control took the victory away because when Senna re-entered the track he missed the chicane. Missing the chicane had absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the race, but race control decided to exclude Senna from the race. Ending the championship and awarded it to Prost post race. Lewis missed a chicane in Abu Dhabi. In 1990 Senna took out Prost in last race. In an interview admitted it was premeditated. F1 decided not to make a ruling, the controversial no-call gave the championship to Senna. Imagine if Max took out Lewis and admitted to intentionally taking out him out to win the championship. Hami fans would want Max burned at the stake and Lewis would boycott the next season for not overturning it.

Quote:
Everyone has their own reasons for liking/following Formula 1. Mine is more about the cars, followed by the teams and finally the drivers.
I am old school too. I couldn't care less about who drives what cars to be honest. I am fan of the cars(manufacturers) and the teams who build them.

Last edited by M3WC; 02-11-2022 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 01:10 PM   #40
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
...and both were decisions made by the FIA.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 01:39 PM   #41
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...and both were decisions made by the FIA.
...and Masi works for FIA.

Last edited by M3WC; 02-11-2022 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60013.50
      02-11-2022, 01:50 PM   #42
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
Quote:
...and Masi works for FIA.
Which is why I started this thread. This petition will be sent to the FIA.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 01:54 PM   #43
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Which is why I started this thread. This petition will be sent to the FIA.
So the decision was made by FIA. Just like in 89 and 90. No different.

F1 moved on and it will now. Actually think all this will grow the sport.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60013.50
      02-11-2022, 02:00 PM   #44
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
Quote:
So the decision was made by FIA. Just like in 89 and 90. No different.

F1 moved on and it will now. Actually think all this will grow the sport.
And in '64 when Bandini ran into Hill's exhaust pipes...no different...wrong is wrong...what's your point?
As for growing the sport...that's what Vince McMahon said about Professional Wrestling's future...worked too.
Appreciate 0