New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-14-2022, 09:48 AM   #133
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Haha yeah, I think the market is going to blow up in a few months/years. But after this announcement, I'll never sell. The 2 sports cars I own, R8, and STI, are both discontinued after this year. Cars like these don't exist anymore, and there isn't a single car I can think of that I'd replace them with. I'd love an RS6, but only to add, not replace.

Fortunately, both of them will never be my DD, so I'll be able to keep them in good shape and enjoy them for years to come. I want my kids to experience them when they're of driving age to show them what cars used to be like, what driving used to mean and how it made you feel revving out an engine and executing the perfect shift with a smile on your face. How they used to make 'em before everything became a toaster that just takes you to work and back. The good old days.
There's actually one good thing about all this:
1) I know it's not just one brand moving in this direction, so I just never get upset anymore
2) I know that I most likely all my fun cars have already been attained unless something changes dramatically so that I can jump into a Porsche (don't have a giant urge to be honest).

While I'm still active on forums, I don't spend anywhere near as much time as I used to reading/watching car reviews, just because frankly, I don't care. Whether it's a super boring econo car or 6 figure super car that seems to come out every other month. It definitely frees up my time and makes me more grateful for what I have
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
ntg442888.50
      03-14-2022, 11:45 AM   #134
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

I was bummed to see this as an STi was going to be on my shortlist of cars to look at this fall.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 03:36 PM   #135
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I don't think your list is all that unrealistic to be honest, but it seems clear to me from that statement that this was more a matter of emissions than spending money to improve performance.

Like you, I'm bummed that they didn't even really send off the car properly. Just a letter that says, oh btw, no STI coming until next gen essentially. The STI did indeed deserve better than that, coming from someone that grew up in the Colin Mcrae era.

P.S. The STI's already hold their values well, I expect yours to maybe even appreciate already.
I disagree it’s about emissions - just an excuse like blaming everything on Covid etc.

Somehow Nissan is bringing a new Z with V6tt and Chevy making Z06 Vette but Subaru can’t up the boost on existing engine for low volume model. It makes no sense.

If they upped the HP to 325-350hp, i think that would be plenty to differentiate from base WRX.

It’s just a cop out and sounds like a decision made by bean counters.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 04:58 PM   #136
kyriian
Captain
Rep

Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
It’s just a cop out and sounds like a decision made by bean counters.
You mean the parent Toyota who as we all know are a special breed of bean counters
Appreciate 0