New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

09-25-2022, 06:33 AM   #1
Sendgridover
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW F48 X1 2.0 XDrive

Unhappy F48 IDrive randomly shuts down

Hi guys... first post. I have had my 2017 F48 for about a year now and everything is generally good, however, just recently the IDrive has started randomly shutting down. Driving along listening to the radio or on Nav and the system suddenly 'black screens' and then reboots from the BMW Connected Drive screen. Takes about a minute or so and puts you back to the function you were using but it just annoys me. Feels like perhaps a loose power lead type issue but I wouldn't know where to start with this. Thoughts please. Thanks... Ian
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 08:14 AM   #2
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep

Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I had a similar issue with my F87 (M2) whenever I would use navigation. They blamed my phone... long story short, it was the nav unit which eventually got replaced. Fortunately, under warranty.

So, I would suggest that you start by turning off bluetooth and stop using that feature since apparently it causes a lot of issues. If that doesn't fix it, then the next step is typically to reload the software. I don't know if independent shops in the UK have that capability, and you may need to take it to a BMW dealer which I'm sure will be expensive. But while you're there, have them read the diagnostic codes to see if they can pinpoint the failing unit.

If that fails, then you'll have to start replacing hardware. I don't know how popular the X1 is over there, but if there are enough, then a breaker (what we here call a salvage yard - do I have the term right?) might have a used unit or two at a huge savings. A new part from BMW will likely be hundreds...

Best of luck.

I'd also suggest posting this in the X1 forum.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0