New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-15-2022, 08:25 PM   #67
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
No idea, I've heard them referred by all three of those names.
I think technically it's vibrato (that's one of the things I remember from my teach) but ya ppl use that interchangeably w tremolo and whammy.
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      09-15-2022, 08:34 PM   #68
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I think technically it's vibrato (that's one of the things I remember from my teach) but ya ppl use that interchangeably w tremolo and whammy.
I think fundamentally vibrato probably makes more sense than tremolo.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2022, 09:01 PM   #69
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Is HSH 5 way too or more? Ya, my HH is 5 way also, that's what I love about it.
Typically 5-way is the max. There are guitars these days like the Ibanez AZs that have a 5-way in one configuration and a switch that alters the 5-way to another configuration... so you could have upwards of 10 different options. It gets a little confusing but the diagram below shows what I'm talking about with a HSH configuration; the top row is normal and the bottom is the wildcard row:

Example of the split coil tone from a humbucker (pretty much 1 of my 2 main tones these days):

Last edited by RugbyBro; 09-15-2022 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 3
NYG10571.50
hubbahubba8710.00
      09-15-2022, 09:05 PM   #70
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I played in a punk/rock/reggae/ska band in the late 90's and early 00's, when punk/rock/reggae/ska was still "cool" lol. Or at least we thought we were cool. I was never really good, just decent. I sang a few times, and I was as good a singer as I am a guitarist... which is why we never really got anywhere!

All my bandmates moved away, got married, had kids and got careers! I haven't played a gig in almost 18 years, and I barely pick it up anymore.

I still have a Gibson Les Paul DC electric and Martin DCME.

I took these photos when I was thinking of selling them, but ultimately couldn't bring myself to do it.
Attached Images

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 7
RugbyBro7572.50
BMWCCA12236.00
NYG10571.50
sygazelle11091.00
hubbahubba8710.00
///MPhatic13538.50
      09-15-2022, 11:17 PM   #71
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Dude fkn love the genny RG550, bad ass and iconic. Katanas are nothing to sneeze about - In terms of a live amp, for the price, it's unmatched.

Config is known as HSH (humbucker, single, humbucker) - other configs involving humbuckers and singles (not including P90s) would be HH, SSH, or SSS.
Dude, don't remind me of my (luckily not expensive and actually slightly profitable) purchase mistake. Dunno what I was thinking/doing, totally don't like the flimsy, no-frills look of the P90s vs modern humbuckers and even single coils.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      09-17-2022, 10:49 PM   #72
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Ok, what's the hardest, freakiest chord you've encountered? I sometimes wonder if someone's trolling, who the heck invents these contorted configurations?

Here's one, D#m7. I always play another fret, this is just ridiculous.

Link to some other doozies:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...ords_ever.html
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      09-17-2022, 11:06 PM   #73
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, what's the hardest, freakiest chord you've encountered? I sometimes wonder if someone's trolling, who the heck invents these contorted configurations?

No chord in particular, but many of Periphery's songs (especially those written by Mark Holcomb) typically involve some extremely awkward chords fired off in quick succession. Example from 0:10 to 0:30 and also from 2:11 onward.

NYG10571.50
      09-17-2022, 11:44 PM   #74
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'd just bar the 1st fret on that chord (looks like the photo is making it seem more difficult than it is) but the music I listen to doesn't offer much chord playing. RugbyBro will appreciate.

Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7572.50
      09-18-2022, 12:33 AM   #75
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'd just bar the 1st fret on that chord (looks like the photo is making it seem more difficult than it is) but the music I listen to doesn't offer much chord playing. RugbyBro will appreciate.

Don't think it's probable but maybe your fingers are better/more flexible/longer/stronger than mine, don't think I can play it buzz-free.
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      09-18-2022, 09:12 AM   #76
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Freaking squeaky clean on those arpeggios - brings me back for sure. Nordic Death Metal is definitely more technical on leads than rhythm.

Quote:
Don't think it's probable but maybe your fingers are better/more flexible/longer/stronger than mine, don't think I can play it buzz-free.
When you play chords, where is your thumb? Hooked over the top or pressed against the back of the neck?
NYG10571.50
      09-18-2022, 02:52 PM   #77
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
When you play chords, where is your thumb? Hooked over the top or pressed against the back of the neck?
Depends on the chord, my hands are small anyway, but for that chord, I don't think it's possible to realistically barre it or else they would've wrote it as such. Maybe you can post a video/pic if you can do it.
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      09-18-2022, 03:13 PM   #78
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Depends on the chord, my hands are small anyway, but for that chord, I don't think it's possible to realistically barre it or else they would've wrote it as such. Maybe you can post a video/pic if you can do it.
Like this but it requires your thumb behind the neck if you are going to bar it. On two different colored fretboards:

Edit: just to clarify, the bar is on the first fret but the G, B, & E string notes are effectively wasted as there are notes in front form the other fingers.
Attached Images

Last edited by RugbyBro; 09-18-2022 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
NYG10571.50
      09-18-2022, 03:56 PM   #79
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Like this but it requires your thumb behind the neck if you are going to bar it. On two different colored fretboards:

Edit: just to clarify, the bar is on the first fret but the G, B, & E string notes are effectively wasted as there are notes in front form the other fingers.
Tx for the visual, I surprised myself and can actually do both (maybe my hands grew overnight LOL), as they intended and w the barre as you suggested. I dunno how I'd play it, which is faster to achieve if I had to stick to the 1st fret instead of another variation.

Oh ya, for sure my thumb's in the middle of the back of the neck, my hands are small/fingers short.

Btw, nice PRS, need more pix!

EDIT: no need to clarify, I wasn't gonna try to barre w my middle finger the 2 notes on the 2nd fret! My weak fingers man lmao.

Last edited by tranquility; 09-18-2022 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      09-18-2022, 06:00 PM   #80
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Tx for the visual, I surprised myself and can actually do both (maybe my hands grew overnight LOL), as they intended and w the barre as you suggested. I dunno how I'd play it, which is faster to achieve if I had to stick to the 1st fret instead of another variation.

Oh ya, for sure my thumb's in the middle of the back of the neck, my hands are small/fingers short.

Btw, nice PRS, need more pix!

EDIT: no need to clarify, I wasn't gonna try to barre w my middle finger the 2 notes on the 2nd fret! My weak fingers man lmao.
NYG and I can bar it much faster than hitting exact shape due to the type of music we play (lots of drop tuning and bar chords) but there’s no reason you can’t be as fast with the hitting the exact shape instead of barring, just takes practice. I’m a recovering thumb over the neck player I try to have my thumb behind as much as possible but my natural imposition is to hook it over top.

Here is the requested guitar PR0N:
Attached Images

NYG10571.50
///MPhatic13538.50
      09-19-2022, 09:17 AM   #81
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The good thing here is that how much pressure you have on the first fret on the G B e strings won't matter/buzz because you're attacking notes beyond it. As long as you can get correct pressure on the D string on the bar, you'll successfully play the chord and the more you do it, you'll continue building your finger strength for the G B e strings without even noticing. Also, don't be scared of barring the entire fret either as long as your right hand is working from the D string.

After enough repetition your finger flexibility and stretch will be able to satisfy the highest mileage employees at a brothel.

Guitar playing is 99% economy. All of our fingers work differently for both left and right hand. It's all about maximizing within your boundaries. Don't get locked into cold-hard method.
Appreciate 2
RugbyBro7572.50
      09-29-2022, 02:14 PM   #82
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

So I'm learning this song and just realized that in the 3rd line or so the narrator is talking about "this black-haired flamenco dancer, you know she dances while *his* father plays guitar"...and I thought, that can't be right, so I watch the video and Adam indeed sings "his", so what gives, the guitarist is Mr Jones' dad?? Anyone have insights on this...?
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      09-30-2022, 01:10 AM   #83
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Trying to keep this thread going, my topic is:
*Why did you choose your guitar?* If you have >1, pick your fave one.

For me, Nuno is my guitar hero, so I was deadset on buying his Washburn N4. When I got to the store, it felt all wrong in my hands, neck was too big for me and it just didn't feel right. Was so disappointed. Fortunately, I came across an Ibanez and I always loved their look, and this was quite a close match to the Washburn with the wood+color/HH pickup config but with a thinner neck, so I was happy it worked out in the end.
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      09-30-2022, 10:20 AM   #84
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

For me, Nuno is my guitar hero, so I was deadset on buying his Washburn N4. When I got to the store, it felt all wrong in my hands, neck was too big for me and it just didn't feel right. Was so disappointed. Fortunately, I came across an Ibanez and I always loved their look, and this was quite a close match to the Washburn with the wood+color/HH pickup config but with a thinner neck, so I was happy it worked out in the end.
In my case, I went from playing electric to acoustic guitar when I quit playing in a band way back when. I bought a Martin which I loved, but the action (like all acoustics) didn't compare to an electric. Then I played a Taylor and fell in love. I bought a Taylor 812ce back in the 90s and I love it for the sound and the playability. For me, this is it. There may be better guitars out there, but I haven't picked one up yet that can match it for my taste.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2022, 12:05 PM   #85
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I'm learning this song and just realized that in the 3rd line or so the narrator is talking about "this black-haired flamenco dancer, you know she dances while *his* father plays guitar"...and I thought, that can't be right, so I watch the video and Adam indeed sings "his", so what gives, the guitarist is Mr Jones' dad?? Anyone have insights on this...?
No idea, great tune though.
Quote:

Dave Mustaine was my original influence - so I was really into V guitars for a while.
Appreciate 3
jmack548.50
hubbahubba8710.00
      10-01-2022, 04:43 PM   #86
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3CX

To answer Tranquility's question, Reviews and reputation of manufacturers.

Today I added a 3rd guitar to go with my Taylor acoustic 6 and 12 strings. This is my first electric. My ears are bleeding…
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
Esteban42182.50
sygazelle11091.00
NYG10571.50
      10-01-2022, 05:39 PM   #87
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Started playing in 1976 and my brother and I had several bands in the 70's & 80's then did a ton of 4-track home recording thru the 90's.

Other than our first high school band everything was originals. I was always more interested in the guitar as a writing tool than trying to become proficient. I certainly got to be a pretty decent player over the years, but certainly never as good as I could have been.

Over the last 20 years my playing has been pretty limited. But I've always kept a couple of guitars handy for when I go down to the basement.

A couple of years ago I got most of our multi-track studio demos that we had recorded in the 80's converted into digital, along with transferring all of my old home recordings as well. So I've been learning a whole lot about mixing and having a lot of fun taking advantage of all the things you can do with unlimited tracks and the tricks you can do in the digital domain.

This has also let to me picking up the guitar more often as well some very basic bass & keyboard playing to be able to kind of finish off some old partial recordings.

I've picked up a couple of PRS guitars in the last year or two, but my Hohner G2 is probably the one I pick up most often (it's small and easy to grab).

This shows my collection before picking up the PRSs and then pic of those two.
Attached Images

sygazelle11091.00
NYG10571.50
      10-01-2022, 05:58 PM   #88
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
To answer Tranquility's question, Reviews and reputation of manufacturers.

Today I added a 3rd guitar to go with my Taylor acoustic 6 and 12 strings. This is my first electric. My ears are bleeding…
Your first electric is a PRS??? Man, what a rough life you live!
Appreciate 2
hubbahubba8710.00
NYG10571.50