New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-16-2022, 04:01 AM   #1
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

wheel brand, no website, safe or not?

So I've come across very light wheels. How light? i weighed one - 19x8.5 at 21lb - Forum Shift
there's another wheel that looks even better - Forum Rocker, not sure how much that weights but, light!

Question - when i search Forum xxx wheels - there is no website for this thing.

How can an unnamed brand with no website make such light wheels.

Are these wheels safe?

Appreciate 1
      10-16-2022, 07:06 AM   #2
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drives: orange BMW 1M.

It's not impossible to make light wheels—-but question is how is the quality? Will they bend when they hit a pothole? Some light wheels do.

I used to have 17 lb SSR Type C wheels that bent ALL the time. Lightweight isn't always best.
      10-16-2022, 09:02 AM   #3
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

What is the point of wanting these super light wheels? Are you tracking this vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 09:29 AM   #4
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Light = less material.

Strength of the wheel relates to quantity and quality of material, and its geometry (shape or "design").

How confident are you to hand over your money for the product?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 10:34 AM   #5
Mavus
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by G99M5 View Post
So I've come across very light wheels. How light? i weighed one - 19x8.5 at 21lb - Forum Shift
there's another wheel that looks even better - Forum Rocker, not sure how much that weights but, light!

Question - when i search Forum xxx wheels - there is no website for this thing.

How can an unnamed brand with no website make such light wheels.

Are these wheels safe?

[IMG]https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoser...1257630913.jpg[/IMG]
are they tested and certified and to what std?

designed by … ?

manufactured iaw what process and where?

It is possible it's a new company but how do you know you will not have a catastrophic failure at 80mph when you hit a bump?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 12:22 PM   #6
Mingwan
Major
Rep

Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

I’d personally stay away. Plenty of other light weight wheel options from reputable brands that are affordable available in the market.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      10-16-2022, 12:58 PM   #7
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quick internet search reveals that these are relatively inexpensive flow formed wheels. I would stay away from those. If you don’t want to spend on a set of forged wheels, at least go with flow formed wheels from reputable makers like HRE and Vossen, e.g. the very popular Vossen HF-5.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 01:34 PM   #8
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep

Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quick internet search reveals that these are relatively inexpensive flow formed wheels. I would stay away from those. If you don’t want to spend on a set of forged wheels, at least go with flow formed wheels from reputable makers like HRE and Vossen, e.g. the very popular Vossen HF-5.
lol you're seriously recommending HREs to someone who appears budget constrained?

OP;

Forgestar. They make inexpensive rotary forged wheels. For the Forum xxx, they might be legit if you can find the factory who makes them. Most wheels are made in china and whitelabled here in the US.
      10-17-2022, 02:21 PM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by x622 View Post
Quote:
lol you're seriously recommending HREs to someone who appears budget constrained?

OP;

Forgestar. They make inexpensive rotary forged wheels. For the Forum xxx, they might be legit if you can find the factory who makes them. Most wheels are made in china and whitelabled here in the US.
"Rotary forged" is the same thing as flow formed. Plenty of forged and flow formed wheels from reputable manufacturers that are cheaper than Vossen or HRE though.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      10-17-2022, 02:29 PM   #10
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

OP;

I recommended flow formed wheels from HRE and Vossen. They are really not that expensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 03:46 PM   #11
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GT3 + M2c

i would steer clear from unknown wheel brands like that.

at least get a brand that has a german TUV or japanese JWL approval.

otherwise you are just getting a wheel somebody designed on a napkin and then had cut out. it might be very light. but not sure how it would hold up to hitting a pothole at 100mph repeatedly.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      10-17-2022, 04:08 PM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

OP;

I recommended flow formed wheels from HRE and Vossen. They are really not that expensive.
Yes they are. You can get numerous forged wheels for a lot less than the flow formed Vossen or HRE that are both stronger and lighter. I have forged Apex that have the same TUV and JWL certifications and all of the benefits of forged vs flow formed spoke strength.

There are plenty of nice things about Vossen and HRE wheels. They have nice resale retention, they are easily recognized, they tend to be reasonably light without being bonzer light and they tend to be reasonably strong. But they're not cheap or even really competitively priced, especially for someone shopping generics. It's like me asking what a good daily driver is and you recommending a GT3.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 05:59 PM   #13
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

thanks, very good points!

already bought a set of Enkei RPF1 ... unfortunately no spacers will fit that thing without machining the spacers (or wheels) but yeah i get the concerns.

maybe i'll ask for those certifications/testing and see what they say
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 06:29 PM   #14
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Custom wheel manufacturers are dime a dozen in China. You can get custom wheels cut from billet at a fraction of cost of branded items. Million dollar question is - what is the quality like?

There's many new so-called wheel brands who are nothing but rebranded drop ship China products. I'd avoid them.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 06:41 PM   #15
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Custom wheel manufacturers are dime a dozen in China. You can get custom wheels cut from billet at a fraction of cost of branded items. Million dollar question is - what is the quality like?

There's many new so-called wheel brands who are nothing but rebranded drop ship China products. I'd avoid them.
I know Florida has a few places that make a ton of wheels and they get rebranded. Not sure what brands
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 06:54 PM   #16
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep

Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post

I agree with this. I have bought wheels directly from china but only because I know exactly who the manufacturer is, and know that they actually have a valid TUV/JWL certificate since they're one of the largest forging blank producers.

If they're not willing to share a render with you showing CFD, avoid.
      10-17-2022, 07:41 PM   #17
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Yes they are. You can get numerous forged wheels for a lot less than the flow formed Vossen or HRE that are both stronger and lighter. I have forged Apex that have the same TUV and JWL certifications and all of the benefits of forged vs flow formed spoke strength.

There are plenty of nice things about Vossen and HRE wheels. They have nice resale retention, they are easily recognized, they tend to be reasonably light without being bonzer light and they tend to be reasonably strong. But they're not cheap or even really competitively priced, especially for someone shopping generics. It's like me asking what a good daily driver is and you recommending a GT3.
No, they are not. You can get a set of custom offset flow formed Vossen HF-5 wheels for 3k. That's perhaps not Tire Rack/Autozone-cheap but affordable for most folks wanting nicer wheels, incl. Camaro people, Civic folks, Golf GTI kids etc.

Now if you want a set of forged Vossens or HRE, prepare to pay 10-12k for a set. But if you love your car and you are serious about your build, you will go and spend this kind of money.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 07:52 PM   #18
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No, they are not. You can get a set of custom offset flow formed Vossen HF-5 wheels for 3k. That's perhaps not Tire Rack/Autozone-cheap but affordable for most folks wanting nicer wheels, incl. Camaro people, Civic folks, Golf GTI kids etc.

Now if you want a set of forged Vossens or HRE, prepare to pay 10-12k for a set. But if you love your car and you are serious about your build, you will go and spend this kind of money.
Haha, you must not hang out with the Golf crowd. No one is spending $3k on wheels.
Even my forged wheels weren't that much.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 07:54 PM   #19
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Haha, you must not hang out with the Golf crowd. No one is spending $3k on wheels.
Wait, you bought a set of forged wheels for less than 3k?? What wheels did you get?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 08:02 PM   #20
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wait, you bought a set of forged wheels for less than 3k?? What wheels did you get?
Chinese Apex VS-5RS in 17x9.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 08:07 PM   #21
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
ok.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 08:09 PM   #22
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
ok.
You do track, right? Fairly sure there's ample Apex presence at any track these days. Of course, that's not really the market for Vossen or HRE. We're probably done here, aren't we?
Appreciate 0