New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
ibarry92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi

Following Your Dreams or Your Career?

I am 21 years old and an electrical engineering student. I have changed my major twice. I went from architecture to construction management to electrical engineering. I am also enrolled in electrical tradesman classes for my journeyman’s license. Initially, I picked these 3 majors because they fall in line with my family’s construction/electrical company. I have always thought that following my parent’s guidance was the best choice for my career path. I have been blessed with wonderful parents and an amazing opportunity they are providing me, and I very much appreciate it. Studying electrical engineering in undergraduate and then going to a graduate business school only to come out and work for my family’s company and one day hopefully lead it is obviously the ideal decision to make. I have been working for them as an electrician during my breaks off from school for the last 3 years. Honestly, I despise the job. The work we do is so repetitive and demanding. I feel like I am working in a death camp. I am just there for the money to help pay for school. I go to work early and do the job to the best of my ability, to the extent that most of the supervisors and superintendents request me at their job-sites.

Before college, construction never really interested me, I was indifferent towards it. I didn’t care if I had to follow this life path. Lately, I have been having second thoughts about going down this career path. I am starting to hate it; it’s absolutely boring. I don’t know if its because of my work experience as an electrician or some other factor. I understand that after completing my bachelors and masters degree, I will not have to work in the field again. In a few weeks I am going to shadow and intern for an electrical engineering company that deals with construction. This way, I will actually have some hands-on experience and a better idea as to what the career entails.

My dream job was to always become an actor. Not the kind of actor that just moves to LA or NY and hopes for magic to happen. I actually wanted to go to school for it. I was looking at Julliard, NYU Tisch, Yale, and Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London. I wanted to be trained for the acting industry. I don’t care for the fame and fortune. I like the art of acting for what it is. Embodying a character that is completely opposite to your persona, making a story come to life, the psychological and emotional challenge, extensive character analysis, impacting people’s lives, changing their heart and life perspective, working with like minded individuals on one common task interests me. I loved working on my unique craft and perfecting it for plays, monologues and auditions. I even took 4 theatre classes at my school. Sadly, there is no money in this field to even pay back my loans and put food on the table. Albeit, the majority of trained actors have no problems finding good paying jobs. Many of them get involved in well known film and television productions. I am even skeptical about “following my dreams” because my co-worker’s son played baseball in college and studied sports management and did not achieve the goals he had envisioned. After a few years of graduating and working and scouting for jobs, he gave up and came into the construction/electrical company. I am all for following you dreams, but to what extent? What are you following? Is it reasonable? Do you have a chance?

Being in my third year of school as an engineering student, I know what hard work is and I do not mind working hard to achieve a personal goal. I love the academic challenge. There are many things I would love to become such as a film maker, software programer or engineer for apple, orthopedic doctor, actor, or an engineering for BMW or Audi. I recently picked up photography as a hobby. I am editing on photography programs, reading blogs, watching videos, teaching and training myself. I am also finding it hard to distinguish my hobbies from possible life careers. I guess I am just lost in a world of unknown because I truly do not know what I want to become. I want to wake up every morning knowing that I love my job, and I do not mind doing it. Obviously it is hard knowing that you will make good money if you went down a certain path that already has a firm foundation (my family’s business) or field with high financial income as opposed to stemming off on your own. Perhaps I am afraid of losing the money. I admire Youtubers like FreddieW and WongFu Productions for reminding me that it is possible to achieve any goal if you keep your heart at it. But the reality is that they are a few from many. I feel like going into this business, I will be grounded in one place and not have many options. My parents have overabundantly blessed us with numerous opportunities of international travels/vacations al throughout the world. I love to travel and observe various cultures through a psychological and sociological perspective (I find the social sciences very intriguing). I want to have a job in more than one demographic region. I don’t want to stay stagnated in one area. My parents have always stayed in the same area throughout their business careers. Obviously it could be because they had children and didn’t want to be nomads. Moreover, I am very fortunate to have parents who have raised me to become the person I am today and I cannot thank them enough. Whenever I think about venturing off a different pathway, I feel guilty because I will let them down. They have always told me that I could be whatever I wanted, but I really want to make them proud because I love them.

Maybe I just need that slap in the face for a reality check because I acting spoiled or ungrateful and chasing pipe dreams. I mean it’s OK to dream, it keeps us sane. Afterall, where would we be if we didn’t dream.

I believe there are very intelligent individuals on this forum, and many of you guys may not like the content I am posting, but I desperate for help. Maybe some of you guys are in the same boat.

Spark Notes: What to do when your thinking about switching majors in college? Follow your dreams?

I am open to any type of advice - My question to you guys is:

-What should I do at this point because I completely feel lost and hopeless.
-If you were in my position what should I do?
-How many of you guys have followed your dreams? If so to what extent? (was it reasonable)? What advice can you give to others?
-Any electrical engineers can chime in? How much of the knowledge from school do you actually use at work?
-If I study the construction side of electrical engineering, can I still get into the technology side of the field? Like projects in electronics with companies such as google, apple or samsung?
-Would double majoring with another personal major of interest be a possibility?

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by ibarry92; 01-03-2014 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
Malibu1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Charger HC, Backdraft Cobra

Being enrolled in electrical tradesman classes for your journeyman’s license does not sound like being an Electrical Engineer. That sounds like you want to be an electrician or electrical tech which is almost a 180 from being a EE for Apple or Google.
      01-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
ibarry92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu1
Being enrolled in electrical tradesman classes for your journeyman’s license does not sound like being an Electrical Engineer. That sounds like you want to be an electrician or electrical tech which is almost a 180 from being a EE for Apple or Google.
I'm in the electrical tradesman classes because I'm heading towards the domain of electrical engineering that deals with electrical construction. Such as power generation and distribution. Basically an engineering and construction degree program. Those tradesman classes are teaching me the fundamentals of electrical wiring. Our COO and CTO are bother master electricians. Before you get electricians to wire a circuit...it first needs to be created and configured by an engineer. Besides being in the classes qualifies me to be paid a scale pay.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:05 AM   #4
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Need some sparknotes up in hurrr
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 02:16 AM   #5
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep

Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Following dreams is fine but it's much better to have your plan B. If you finish school and work in the field, nothing will stop you from doing more school for theater or whatever to become an actor.

Every job is repetitive and boring to some extent.

Think computer programming or being an engineer for Google or Apple is all fun and excitement?

Position yourself to make as much money as possible. Then follow your dreams while you're making a comfortable living instead of being the cliche of a starving artist.

I am in software. Don't tell anyone though, as my cover on here is that I sell oranges.

Anyway, I like it... I don't loooove it ... But hey I get to drive an X6M, have travelled extensively on my own dime, am a certified scuba diver, licensed skydiver and aspiring BASE jumper, was a licensed motorcycle racer for a while, still ride, also do photography, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night ... But let's face it, none of those things would have been a good career choice

I hate to say it but sometimes you have to sell out a little bit in order to put yourself in the necessary financial position a bit further down the line to go off and do what you really want.

You'll figure it out.

One thing that's important is being able to finish something. You can keep changing majors and picking up extra classes, but you may end up in school for many years and come out with a BS degree that's essentially worhless.

Pick something and keep your side goals and dreams in mind, never forget them, but don't sell yourself short by screwing up a good thing in order to irrationally pursue a dream even you yourself, with your long post, could not eloquently state what exactly it is.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Drives: I Can not say

Stick with your major and join a drama club or improv group.

Here comes the wisdom. Assuming to acting thing doesn't take off immediately, after you graduate and get a job DO NOT ACCUMULATE DEBT! Don't go out and buy the car you have wanted! Once you become a slave to your debt or lifestyle you are in a cycle that is very hard to break
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Just take a trip to LA and see how many people are chasing their acting dream to a career as a valet or waiter. It's a career path in which maybe 100 people make a stable living.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Drives: Something Italian

I used to dream of doing something related to cars for a living. Maybe a speed shop, import export, small dealer, etc… The one that would have awesome was to build a race track in FL that would accommodate an FIA event. Of course this requires millions upon millions of dollars. The dream was to start with a design and just build the straight away and use it as a drag strip. Then add on to it as funds or loans became available. A bit of a GRAND scale, but it would have been great to see that come to fruition.

But instead, i chose a path that would allow me to have a good work / life balance while making enough money to drive a nice car and do the things I like to do. Travel, track days, mods, guns, etc…. No real regrets so far.

I didn't read the OP cause it's too damn long, but good luck and remember; happiness is a state of mind, not a destination.
      01-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2014 435xi M Sport

I briefly read the block of text. So here's my opinion:

I would finish the engineering degree seeing as you have already completed 75% of it.
Then, you can try and pursue your other dreams. Your engineering degree can be a back up in the future if everything else fails.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: E46M

Damn OP.. First, good writing. Second, you're on the right track. Being able to think like you do is already half the battle, and doing so at such a young age, you're ahead of a lot of people. I changed my career field after I graduated, and I'm now thinking about making another big career change again.

Ah.. "follow your dreams..." what a bitch of statement that crucifies the inception of any realistic success in most who dream. I could enjoy writing about this for the next hour, but I'll spare the bore.

This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but in order for one to succeed in a glamorous field as acting, one has to have exceptional amounts of talent, some money to invest/live off of while pursuing the dream, the right connections, the right timing, and some luck on top. I guess most of these are pretty black-and-white, but I don't know how one can objectively verify one's own talent. Maybe people around you can give you some unbiased feedback on your skills.

No offense (and I may very well be wrong this time), but the chances are that you should probably pursue success in a more realistic and practical career - namely taking over your family's business.

That said, since your family's business is in the construction/engineering field, I think you should take it to the next level by getting some high-level education in that field. I'm a MechE working in const/engr and 90% of the things I do are EE, which is why I feel I lag behind the people who studied in EE power distribution and control systems. As such, I think you should:
- Continue with the EE;
- Maybe minor in comp sci/programming (C++ knowledge will get you far in any field);
- Take the FE exam while you're in school! Get the EIT certificate while it's easy! (then 3-4 years later, take PE exam and get your license!)
- Take AutoCAD, SolidWorks, MatLab, and again C++ classes;
- And finally, you may want to look into getting an MBA either immediately after undergrad or after a few years - up to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep

Drives: C7 Stringray

If you follow your dream, no matter what it is, if you put in effort you can make money.

It's important to differentiate between dream and hobby. I love video games, but soon learned after making my own games that I would much rather play then to spend my life creating them.

If you want to be a maid, I'm sure you could be a rich maid by working for some celebrity and make 50k a year :P
      01-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #12
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
If you follow your dream, no matter what it is, if you put in effort you can make money.
A more in depth explanation…..

Here's the key to success. It's so simple too. Some think there must be more to it, but there isn't. Now some knowledge, experience, funding, etc.. may be necessary for success, but the simplicity of the key to that success is under valued by nearly everyone.

That key is, no matter what you do, make your goal to be the best at whatever it is you are doing.

I know, sounds so cliche, silly even. But that's the key. No matter what you do, if you're goal is to be the very best there is, success will follow.

Most people's goals are to have XX size company, employe XX people, sell XX of units, write XX of policies, make XX money, etc… If you just concentrate on being the best at what you're doing, everything else will fall into place and likely exceed your expectations.
      01-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #13
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Drives: a 9incher

Good write up ibarry92.

My advice is to stay with your Electrical engineering degree. Art related careers are sometimes a joke.

I was in the same boat as you during the final years of my High school. I wanted to become an artist (Draw, paint, sketch). I went to NYIT college in New York as an animator and artist. I got out of there after my first semester.

I later, attended Central Connecticut University where i studied Software Engineering. I love art to death but that doesnt put food on the table for me.

You need to be more aggressive and very realistic with your decisions in life. Forget about all those " i wanna follow my dream" career stuff. It really doesnt get you much.

Become an EE but do your acting stuff on the side.

I currently work as a Software engineer for a medical company during my free time, i draw my ass out, pretty soon i'll be making a little $ on my artwork (Best of Both worlds).

You're heading towards the right path in life. You sound incredibly intelligent, you have parents with some $$ so you're lucky. I didn't have any parents. I lost my dad at age 10, my Mom raised 5 kids all on her own. We moved to the U.S. when i was 13yrs. She didn't depend on the Government, We were very poor. So i had to make very wise and realistic decisions growing up.

I wish you all the best.
      01-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #14
ibarry92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinelam View Post
I briefly read the block of text. So here's my opinion:

I would finish the engineering degree seeing as you have already completed 75% of it.
Then, you can try and pursue your other dreams. Your engineering degree can be a back up in the future if everything else fails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
Good write up ibarry92.

My advice is to stay with your Electrical engineering degree. Art related careers are sometimes a joke.

I was in the same boat as you during the final years of my High school. I wanted to become an artist (Draw, paint, sketch). I went to NYIT college in New York as an animator and artist. I got out of there after my first semester.

I later, attended Central Connecticut University where i studied Software Engineering. I love art to death but that doesnt put food on the table for me.

You need to be more aggressive and very realistic with your decisions in life. Forget about all those " i wanna follow my dream" career stuff. It really doesnt get you much.

Become an EE but do your acting stuff on the side.

I currently work as a Software engineer for a medical company during my free time, i draw my ass out, pretty soon i'll be making a little $ on my artwork (Best of Both worlds).

You're heading towards the right path in life. You sound incredibly intelligent, you have parents with some $$ so you're lucky. I didn't have any parents. I lost my dad at age 10, my Mom raised 5 kids all on her own. We moved to the U.S. when i was 13yrs. She didn't depend on the Government, We were very poor. So i had to make very wise and realistic decisions growing up.

I wish you all the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I used to dream of doing something related to cars for a living. Maybe a speed shop, import export, small dealer, etc… The one that would have awesome was to build a race track in FL that would accommodate an FIA event. Of course this requires millions upon millions of dollars. The dream was to start with a design and just build the straight away and use it as a drag strip. Then add on to it as funds or loans became available. A bit of a GRAND scale, but it would have been great to see that come to fruition.

But instead, i chose a path that would allow me to have a good work / life balance while making enough money to drive a nice car and do the things I like to do. Travel, track days, mods, guns, etc…. No real regrets so far.

I didn't read the OP cause it's too damn long, but good luck and remember; happiness is a state of mind, not a destination.
With the current state of my educational career, I am definitely sticking with electrical engineering. No turning back now. (By the way, I am in my third year of college and a second year electrical engineering student. Apologies for not making it clear).

Thats awesome Whostheboss and Mr. Tonka for finding ways to live your dreams even during your careers. I definitely understand what you two are saying. Although, I am not really "following my dreams," I find ways to cope with the emptiness that I feel inside. Whether it is participating in plays, watching them, or helping out with a production I still get joy from being around. I know I'm not fulfilling my dreams but I'm essentially still happy. I totally understand what you mean by happiness being a state of mind. I'm not completely bummed out. It just that it's kind of hard for me to let go, and every now and then those dreams and thoughts come out to haunt me. I'm, by no means, dragging myself through my studies and education. I actually have fun studying engineering and finding time for my hobbies on the side. Who knows maybe on day if I have children they might, by surprise, fulfilling my incomplete aspirations.

My sister, at first, wanted to study fashion design. She spend summers at FIT in New York all through high school. My mother was not going to let that slide as a major. So she double majored in marketing and finance. She is also being trained in accounting for the company. As a hobby she likes to design and decorate her house and my mother's house. Turns out, all she wanted to do was design. She hopes to open a small interior design company on the side and maybe pursue fashion if she permits. Whenever she has time she helps her friend's with fashion shows and her fashion line which is actually established. Maybe I can find happiness like she has.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #15
ibarry92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Stick with your major and join a drama club or improv group.

Here comes the wisdom. Assuming to acting thing doesn't take off immediately, after you graduate and get a job DO NOT ACCUMULATE DEBT! Don't go out and buy the car you have wanted! Once you become a slave to your debt or lifestyle you are in a cycle that is very hard to break
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Just take a trip to LA and see how many people are chasing their acting dream to a career as a valet or waiter. It's a career path in which maybe 100 people make a stable living.
Yea, I really don't want to be drowning in debt with no way to pay it off. I feel bad for those who just go and wait for magic to happen. It's like being dropped off in an NFL game as an amateur and you have to make something happen. While there are those who are properly trained and still don't make it. My co-worker told his parents that if it weren't for them he doesn't know where they will be. He got the opportunity to venture out on his own and it didn't work out and his parents were their to support him. He finds time to play ball in leagues in such.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #16
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarry92 View Post

My sister, at first, wanted to study fashion design. She spend summers at FIT in New York all through high school. My mother was not going to let that slide as a major. So she double majored in marketing and finance. She is also being trained in accounting for the company. As a hobby she likes to design and decorate her house and my mother's house. Turns out, all she wanted to do was design. She hopes to open a small interior design company on the side and maybe pursue fashion if she permits. Whenever she has time she helps her friend's with fashion shows and her fashion line which is actually established. Maybe I can find happiness like she has.
It saddens me to hear young people say things like this. My point of happiness being a state of mind is that it's not something you find. It's something you create, accept, are content with, experience. It's not hiding around the corner waiting to be found. It's something you experience while while pursuing your life goals.

Good luck!