New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-10-2023, 05:36 AM   #111
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
Climbing into an oversized vehicle isn't any more pleasant though!
Assuming a full size pick up fits the definiteion of an oversized vehicle, you literally step up into it. Mine has a side step you use which are available on pretty much every truck.

When my wife was pregnant and about to pop about 6 months ago, the truck was all she would drive because it was much easier for her to step up into the truck and back down vs having to lower herself down a bit into her Tesla.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2023, 06:31 AM   #112
M4ord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Garage List
I got a 30 year old truck for stuff you need a truck for. I have to admit, I feel kind of lucky to have a truck that is 30 years old and still strong. Obviously a lot of work in 30 years, but you need a truck in life right?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 07:05 AM   #113
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 M340i

My truck is 47 years old (1975 GMC K25), so I don’t have to worry about it blending into the other cars in the parking lot. It has low ratio gears and no overdrive, so it gets a little busy if you go more than about 65 mph, but works fine for any tasks I have. Just don’t expect it to get good gas mileage.

The most common question I get is whether it’s hard to get parts, but that has not been an issue. GM made squarebody trucks for 14+ years, and the engine and transmission (350/TH350) is the same as nearly every other GM vehicle of that vintage. Mine also happens to be in an emissions “sweet spot” for HD trucks where it never had catalytic converters, smog pump, etc. The engine compartment is so big that I can crawl up there and sit on the fender to work on the engine.
Appreciate 2
      01-10-2023, 08:19 AM   #114
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
The annoying thing is that we're now in a height arms race on the road. It was fine when most people drove sedans and wagons instead of SUVs and 99% empty pickups. Ask any non-car-person why they must have a CUV or SUV it's because they want to be high up to see.
100% correct. Many women have told me that is why they want it. My lady wants to replace her sedan with an SUV...because high up. It's ridiculous. How about learn to drive & pay attention instead?
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      01-10-2023, 08:29 AM   #115
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
Personally not buying safety and lux arguments. Comfort is also questionable unless you are using it only in small town and local roads. I lived in Buffalo for several years and drove Nissan Sentra at the time without issues during winter. Never got stuck or had vehicle damaged even on country roads. Most cars rolled over in a ditch were trucks and suvs.

Luxury is also not associated with high CG, excessive roll, sloppy handling, harder to maneuver vehicles. Think RR cars and S class.
If you havent been in newer trucks, you really cant talk to the luxury of them.

my f150 lariat is every bit as "luxurious" as a 3 series or a lower end 5 series. Getting in to a platinum or king ranch would rival higher end 5 series. Has the same or better tech as them as well.

the top end 1/2 tons (think denali/high country/limited) are basically luxury SUVs with a bed.

sure they arent as nimble as a sedan, but most bigger SUVs arent either.

as for safety, youre going to be much safe in a truck that is bigger than most vehicles on the road, weighs more than most vehicles on the road, and is higher up than most vehicles on the road. If you had to choose between being in a sedan or a truck in a collision, most people would choose the truck.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
dscabra4960.00
      01-10-2023, 08:54 AM   #116
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
I never knew so many people in this world were constantly hauling things lol.

I'll rent a truck or borrow the other half's dad's F-150 if we need a truck.

I am a car person and want fun to drive. Not a giant truck that can't turn or move. Just not a fan of how giant trucks are these days.

Give me a 2nd gen Lightning. Sadly, they are overpriced now too.
Help me understand how trucks are completely unnecessary (unless you need one and can just borrow it from someone), but a 700hp street car is somehow justified.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 09:22 AM   #117
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
Help me understand how trucks are completely unnecessary (unless you need one and can just borrow it from someone), but a 700hp street car is somehow justified.
On that same sentiment, why can't you have both? Use the correct tool for the job. I'm not taking my truck for spirited backroad drives much like I'm not using my vice grips to remove 10mm bolts. Could it be done? Sure but why would you do that if you have a M3 and a 10mm socket + ratchet?
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      01-10-2023, 09:33 AM   #118
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagob5 View Post
On that same sentiment, why can't you have both? Use the correct tool for the job. I'm not taking my truck for spirited backroad drives much like I'm not using my vice grips to remove 10mm bolts. Could it be done? Sure but why would you do that if you have a M3 and a 10mm socket + ratchet?
I never said you couldn't. I had both myself. This thread was started based on a trend that shows people moving to trucks from other types of cars. If you want both, great. I think it's interesting that trucks are starting to pull from different market segments than they have previously. Ford has stopped production of nearly all cars (except for Mustang) and gone to SUV and trucks for the US because that's what was selling. Buy what works for you and your needs.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 09:50 AM   #119
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F80

if i were to get a truck

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 09:56 AM   #120
KJ10
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2023 M240i

Garage List
Previous vehicle was a gen 2 raptor and it was one of if not the most comfortable vehicle I've ever been in. Just a little boring when it comes to speed and handling. Not to mention the fact that is was 75k Ford and started to show around 35k miles. As a daily though it was very comfortable and useful.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 10:18 AM   #121
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I have two 4x4 trucks. Mid-sized, a Hummer H3T on 33's and a Bronco on 32's. Do either feel as good at speed as any of my BMWs? No, but the H3T and the Bronco can be hustled about pretty damned well on the back roads where I live. In an emergency situation, I'll take a BMW any day over the trucks because BMWs just stop better than any other car I've driven. But the Hummer and Bronco can take most turns at or nearly at the same elevated road speeds as any of my Bimmers.

If BMW really wants to sell a shitload of vehicles in the US, it needs pickups based off the X3 and X7.
Here you go...

https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/12/05/t...-pickup-truck/

Last edited by dscabra; 01-10-2023 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 12:08 PM   #122
chris719
Major General
Rep

Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
100% correct. Many women have told me that is why they want it. My lady wants to replace her sedan with an SUV...because high up. It's ridiculous. How about learn to drive & pay attention instead?
I sympathize with her though, you can adjust your behavior better if you have vision of more than just one car in front of you when highways get packed. I drove my friend's F150 last year and I was like, ah, feels like 1999 again.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 04:56 PM   #123
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
How does one function without a truck?
Pretty easily. I don't have a camper or a race car, so I don't need to tow anything. Large items from Home Depot and Lowe's can be delivered, or you can rent a truck from them.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      01-10-2023, 06:39 PM   #124
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep

Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Pretty easily. I don't have a camper or a race car, so I don't need to tow anything. Large items from Home Depot and Lowe's can be delivered, or you can rent a truck from them.
So if I just want 5 bags of salt for my water softener and 5 pieces of lumber for fence repair or whatever then I should have them delivered or rent a truck, lol. Ok. Then the next day when I take 4 wheels to mount some new track tires I should rent another truck the next day or should I see if I can keep the home depot truck overnight?

I don't have a camper or dedicated race car but I have a use for a truck nearly every day. Probably just need to accept that some people get a lot of use from a truck that you just might not need and there's nothing wrong with that.

Now the people who have a dually or big diesel truck to drive to work or use for light duty stuff like I do, that's questionable. Towing and camper stuff is better suited for that kind of truck. A 1/2 ton truck is barely more size than an X5 or X7 and can handle the dirty or rougher jobs that I wouldn't want to soil a nice SUV with.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 07:45 PM   #125
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
So if I just want 5 bags of salt for my water softener and 5 pieces of lumber for fence repair or whatever then I should have them delivered or rent a truck, lol. Ok. Then the next day when I take 4 wheels to mount some new track tires I should rent another truck the next day or should I see if I can keep the home depot truck overnight?

I don't have a camper or dedicated race car but I have a use for a truck nearly every day. Probably just need to accept that some people get a lot of use from a truck that you just might not need and there's nothing wrong with that.

Now the people who have a dually or big diesel truck to drive to work or use for light duty stuff like I do, that's questionable. Towing and camper stuff is better suited for that kind of truck. A 1/2 ton truck is barely more size than an X5 or X7 and can handle the dirty or rougher jobs that I wouldn't want to soil a nice SUV with.
Do you have 50" mud tires or something? I have always fit all 4 current wheels & tires + the new tires in my sedans to take to get M&B...my entire life. Hell, I have even done that in a Miata with a couple strapped to the roll bar LOL

To rent a HD truck is $20. Buying a truck I don't need or want? More than $20.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 07:46 PM   #126
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
I sympathize with her though, you can adjust your behavior better if you have vision of more than just one car in front of you when highways get packed. I drove my friend's F150 last year and I was like, ah, feels like 1999 again.
Learn to drive better. You don't need an SUV to see more than 1 car. I have owned 5 Miatas and am still alive. Never had them get run over by a truck or SUV either.

I keep trying to get her dad to sell me his F-150 because I want a beater vehicle lol
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      01-10-2023, 08:00 PM   #127
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
Quote:
Do you have 50" mud tires or something? I have always fit all 4 current wheels & tires + the new tires in my sedans to take to get M&B...my entire life. Hell, I have even done that in a Miata with a couple strapped to the roll bar LOL

To rent a HD truck is $20. Buying a truck I don't need or want? More than $20.
It's more about the inconvenience. Truck in the garage, I just get in it whenever I want. I use it pretty much every day. Especially useful when taking the kids or picking them up AND having stuff in the back as well. When I was 22 living in an apartment I didn't need a truck.

I'm pretty OCD about my cars so there's no wheels and tires getting thrown into back seats.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      01-10-2023, 08:01 PM   #128
chris719
Major General
Rep

Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Learn to drive better. You don't need an SUV to see more than 1 car. I have owned 5 Miatas and am still alive. Never had them get run over by a truck or SUV either.

I keep trying to get her dad to sell me his F-150 because I want a beater vehicle lol
I have an M2C and used to have a Z4M, so you don't need to tell me. The largest car I have ever owned was a G35 coupe.

The fact remains that if you can see past / through the car in front of you, you can do things like understand why they might be braking or better predict the actions of a group of bunched cars in traffic. Yes, you could leave 30 feet but that's not how it works in New Jersey. Sometimes you just find yourself glued to the bumper of a truck.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 08:10 PM   #129
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Quote:

Where did I say I don't accept that some people get a lot of use from a truck? He asked "How does one function without a truck?" And I answered for ME.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      01-10-2023, 08:12 PM   #130
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Where did I say I don't accept that some people get a lot of use from a truck? He asked "How does one function without a truck?" And I answered for ME.
You're right, your post inspired me to reply to the thread, not just to you, but I did sort of direct the post to you. I'm ok if you're ok.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 10:46 AM   #131
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
I have an M2C and used to have a Z4M, so you don't need to tell me. The largest car I have ever owned was a G35 coupe.

The fact remains that if you can see past / through the car in front of you, you can do things like understand why they might be braking or better predict the actions of a group of bunched cars in traffic. Yes, you could leave 30 feet but that's not how it works in New Jersey. Sometimes you just find yourself glued to the bumper of a truck.
I am from NJ, sadly. You don't need to tell me.

Also, if you are glued to the person in front of you, you are too close & it's your own fault
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 10:47 AM   #132
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
It's more about the inconvenience. Truck in the garage, I just get in it whenever I want. I use it pretty much every day. Especially useful when taking the kids or picking them up AND having stuff in the back as well. When I was 22 living in an apartment I didn't need a truck.

I'm pretty OCD about my cars so there's no wheels and tires getting thrown into back seats.
Ever hear of putting a towel or sheet down to protect seats? My whole life, never ruined a seat because I put wheels/tires on it.

Good day!
Appreciate 0