New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-10-2023, 10:03 PM   #23
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Sorry, yes two kids. I am leaning resort because the kids, imho, will get bored just on a beach all week. By that I mean say we rent a villa in a small complex, I see them in Negril for example, it's just a beach, not much to do. There's decent looking bars and the like but the kids will be bored. At a resort, there's more to do but finding accommodations where we control the airflow and it is not centralised, is very difficult, as is non-buffet dining.

I realise i am being difficult but this is what I am facing and why a cottage with the cousins would work better but again, I am not winning this battle. Wife has gone through hell at work the past month so she is going to want a reward for it.
I don't get all the airflow, buffett stuff, is it a covid thing? Most all the resorts we have been to you are outside or in your room like 90% of the time. Even for shows the theater in many of them is outside.

Quote:
Oh keep in mind we have a great pool in our yard so novelty of water activity will wear off pretty fast.
Why are you even considering a beach vacation then? Why not go to the mountains or something?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 10:05 PM   #24
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I don't get all the airflow, buffett stuff, is it a covid thing? Most all the resorts we have been to you are outside or in your room like 90% of the time. Even for shows the theater in many of them is outside.

Why are you even considering a beach vacation then? Why not go to the mountains or something?
I made both these points clear in the OP.

Wife.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 10:08 PM   #25
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I made both these points clear in the OP.

Wife.
Must have missed it. Oh well, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 01:22 PM   #26
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Question, anyone have a resort in Florida South of Orlando and North of Homestead that they absolutely love?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 02:18 PM   #27
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
True, we already did Oahu in the past and wanted to try another island. But I think FL will get us some of the beach scenery without the flight hassle and added expense.

We'll definitely visit there some time, hopefully when things are a little less crazy.
I love Hawaii and being from California, it's an easy get from here. But at current prices and from where you live, I think your alternative plan is perfect.
Appreciate 1
tdott3938.00
      03-19-2023, 04:05 AM   #28
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Wife desperate to go somewhere this summer, I am 100% against the idea. Prices are insane, i'd just rent a local cottage but apparently if we don't get on a plane it is not a holiday. But whatever, I am not going to win this battle.

So our needs are weird 'cos the wife is still covid cautious (don't turn this into another covid thread, it is what it fucking is, nothing gonna change her mind).

- Ideally beachfront or close enough
- Ideally part of or next to a resort but not a deal breaker
- Accommodations for 4
- Accommodation must be stand alone, no apartments with shared aircon for example. Could feasibly do a villa that is attached but so long as we can open windows or have own air
- Must have outdoor eating options, we won't be doing large gathering buffet all inclusive breakfast for eg
- Open to a VRBO or Air B and B but has to be close enough to a safe city for outdoor restaurants
- Ideally a direct flight from Toronto
- Looking at July/August
- $10K CDN all in, tops, absolute tops, less if we can
- Did I mention this is a waste of money? FML.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Lodging availability is likely a challenge at this late stage. Hotels and shared aircon places will be easier to find accommodation compared to separate house/villa scenarios.

Does “direct flight” mean no rental car?

What are your short list places?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 04:08 AM   #29
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Any recommendations in Jamaica? Seeing some really ideal looking places in Negril but a right pain in the arse to get to, 2 hours from the dang airport.
What “places” are you considering in Jamaica? Aren’t these all-inclusive buffet style dining resorts?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 04:10 AM   #30
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh keep in mind we have a great pool in our yard so novelty of water activity will wear off pretty fast.
What is a list of things you want, activity-wise? Accommodation and dining needs are clear.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 04:16 AM   #31
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2023 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Oh I enjoy them too but we could rent a cottage for a week for about $2K if we split it with the wife's cousin. Swim, fish, fire etc, wonderful time. Or, spend 10K, hassle of flying and travelling with kids for basically the same experience as the cottage but salt water. It makes no fucking sense.

We do Maui on the way to Australia. Where do you stay in Clearwater? I keep thinking this may be an option. I just hate dealing with the US hidden fees and tipping culture, like just list the fucking ffs.

OT: That is a wonderful looking M3, jus wonderful.
If Clearwater is on your radar, look at one of the condos on Sand Key on VRBO. We’ve stayed in most of them over the years.

You’ll get a great deal, flights aren’t too expensive, and there’s plenty of dining/ entertainment options in and around Clearwater beach itself.

The good thing with SK is it’s far enough away from the noise, but a short walk or jump on the Jolly Trolley whenever you want some liveliness. Plus there are a couple of great hotels if you just want a lazy lunch/ cocktails.

The sunsets are pretty good there too.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2023, 07:26 AM   #32
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

^I have a friend who manages about 100 rentals in that area - let me know if you want the website info. Pass-a-Grille Beach is a hidden gym not to be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
Question, anyone have a resort in Florida South of Orlando and North of Homestead that they absolutely love?

The Breakers Palm Beach is always a favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 11:55 AM   #33
ToddBlack88
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2007 Z4MC 2010 F650GS

Have you thought about Turks and Caicos?

Fairly simple flight there, and lots of resort places and great beaches.
      03-19-2023, 08:29 PM   #34
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
We were going to do Maui, but prices are insane, nothing under $600/night and the fees are insane for airbnb, vrbo, vacation rentals etc.

Instead we are breaking it up into 3 trips and will still spend less than Maui.
5 Days in Clearwater, FL nice hotel on the beach. Under $300/night
3 Days in Key Largo, FL at a nice resort. Under $300/night
5 Days in Vegas. haven't decided where yet, there are lots of inexpensive options but we will probably stay at somewhere nice this time.
Will be mostly Hilton properties, we get a F&F discount.

We enjoy vacays and don't think it is a waste unless we feel like we are over paying and not getting any value.
You are in Florida so it's easy to get to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Have you ever been on a cruise? It's not for everybody, that's for sure. But, it can be a great travel bargain if you book it right.
Appreciate 1
tdott3938.00
      03-20-2023, 03:27 PM   #35
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
You are in Florida so it's easy to get to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Have you ever been on a cruise? It's not for everybody, that's for sure. But, it can be a great travel bargain if you book it right.
Yup definitely need to start cruising soon. Was staying away for a little while.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 07:24 AM   #36
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Lodging availability is likely a challenge at this late stage. Hotels and shared aircon places will be easier to find accommodation compared to separate house/villa scenarios.

Does “direct flight” mean no rental car?

What are your short list places?
Yep I understand that re. lodging, wife is incredibly indecisive and procrastinates to the last second without fail.

Open to a rental car, direct flight means no flight connection ideally.

Short list would be anywhere south as that is the easiest but ideally keep it under $10K CDN for the week. Even then i think it's stupid money.

Quote:
What “places” are you considering in Jamaica? Aren’t these all-inclusive buffet style dining resorts?
I found a place in Negril, split system aircon, attached villa type place. Eating areas are outdoors with a roof. Here's the issue though, to me these places make no sense because kids will get bored imho as it was not a resort. Then there's the night time, what do you do there? I ain't wandering around Negril in the fucking dark with a wife and two kids. This is why we end up in europe TBH.

Quote:
What is a list of things you want, activity-wise? Accommodation and dining needs are clear.
Just anything to keep kids occupied a few hours a day, tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF90M5C View Post
If Clearwater is on your radar, look at one of the condos on Sand Key on VRBO. We’ve stayed in most of them over the years.

You’ll get a great deal, flights aren’t too expensive, and there’s plenty of dining/ entertainment options in and around Clearwater beach itself.
I shall investigate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddBlack88 View Post
Have you thought about Turks and Caicos?

Fairly simple flight there, and lots of resort places and great beaches.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 06:38 AM   #37
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Come back to the home county you fucker.

We don’t have Covid here, weather is just starting to cool a bit which is nice.

AFL season has just started.

Reacquaint yourself with the spiders and shit that will all kill you.

Doesn’t that sound great!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 07:11 AM   #38
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

LOL you've got as much Covid as anybody!

But yeah, I gotta get home, this has been my longest stretch. Will be there over xmas for 3 to 4 weeks. Wife is half talking of moving there.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 11:11 AM   #39
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

San Diego is what I would recommend. Not crowded and plenty to do. Perfect weather most of the time and beautiful, La Jolla would meet most of your requirements.

Most of the restaurants are either fully outside or have garage type doors open to it. Balboa Park alone is worth the trip. Prices are extremely reasonable compared to the rest of Cali and even better than quite a few places in the US.

If you rent a car it actually is a pretty chill area to drive in.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 01:11 PM   #40
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
San Diego is what I would recommend. Not crowded and plenty to do. Perfect weather most of the time and beautiful, La Jolla would meet most of your requirements.

Most of the restaurants are either fully outside or have garage type doors open to it. Balboa Park alone is worth the trip. Prices are extremely reasonable compared to the rest of Cali and even better than quite a few places in the US.

If you rent a car it actually is a pretty chill area to drive in.
It's probably the only place in CA we enjoyed. I loved Balboa park and spent many days there and going to all the museums. The Coronado Hotel is beautiful (probably $$$ though) and has an amazing beach. However I'm not sure how the beach water is there, but in our experience through WA, OR and CA that shit is freezing year round. Dunno if OP needs to just be near the water or if he actually needs to get IN the water, but that may break one of his many rules.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 03:16 PM   #41
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Interesting, looking at photos it is the most similar place to back home i have ever seen.

We are used to the pacific, though to be fair further south. Water back home is pretty cold, i mean it's open fucking ocean right.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 03:52 PM   #42
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Here's a suggestion way different, go to Iceland. Never heard anyone say they had a bad trip there, they have beaches but not warm tropical, direct flights from Toronto.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 10:26 AM   #43
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
^I have a friend who manages about 100 rentals in that area - let me know if you want the website info. Pass-a-Grille Beach is a hidden gym not to be missed.

The Breakers Palm Beach is always a favorite.
Pass-a-grille is EXCELLENT, I thoroughly enjoy spending the day in Gulfport also.

I would do the Breakers but I fear I'll have a nose bleed after a few hours there from all the hoidey toideys.
We did drinks there when we went to West Palm and it is gorgeous
Attached Images

Appreciate 1