New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-19-2023, 10:47 AM   #1
alexxjamess
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW M140i

Apple Carplay - 50% of screen is white

Hi,

New to these forums so apologies if this is in the wrong place. Looking for some best next steps for the following issue - slightly long story, but have tried to condense as much as possible.

Key points are as follows:
  • I purchased my used 2017 BMW M140i from BMW last year. It was advertised as, and came with Apple Car Play - at the time I did not have an iPhone so was of little use, but I did test it out with a friends and all seemed to be working ok
  • Later last year I needed to take the car to a non BMW garage for a separate issue - whilst it was there the garage owner text me to say he was going to activate Apple Car Play for free - I told him not to worry as it already had Apple Car Play. Picked up the car, the original issue was resolved, and I didnt even think to look at the Apple Car Play function.
  • I have now recently bought an iPhone, and when connecting to Apple Car Play, half of the screen is just white. I have attached a screenshot.

Based on my research this looks to be a similar issue to one people experience when trying to make Apple Car Play full screen without the latest iDrive firmware (but I could be wrong). I am therefore looking for advice for the best next steps - I have considered the following but keen to understand if there are any preferable ones here, or any additional ones I have not considered.
  1. Take it to be BMW to fix - I fear they would charge me the same as if the car never came with APC to begin with
  2. Purchase Bimmercode and look to see if an attempt to make APC full screen has been made, and disable that
  3. Update my iDrive firmware (currently NBTevo_Q184911) in the hope that resolves it (and maybe it will be fullscreen). However I'm not sure how to go about doing this, or how risky this is.

I forgot to mention above, the garage I think messed this up is 400 miles away from me and it is not not practical for me to take it back there - of course that would be first choice!

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0