New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-17-2022, 08:01 PM   #1
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Camaro ZL1 thread

America’s best muscle car.

Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      01-17-2022, 08:03 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

that is a beautiful car.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00
      01-18-2022, 09:28 AM   #3
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: ZL1, Raptor

I'll watch the video later.

It really is a good car, I had one for 3 years. I think its the best looking of the 3 pony cars (the GT 500 is pretty badass, so is the GT350). The problem with the car is that it takes a while to get used to being able to see out of it.

Much like the E60 M5 (and for different reasons), a test drive would not sell the car. It is difficult to see out of the car, and the back seat i just about 911 useless.

The ZL1 could ALWAYS put a smile on my face, no matter how sh*tty my day was.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00
      01-18-2022, 12:22 PM   #4
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
that is a beautiful car.
I wouldn't go that far. It's not nearly as graceful looking as the current Mustang and Challenger and it's reflected in sales as GM sells less than half the Camaros as Ford and Dodge sell Mustangs and Challengers. Funny thing is the last gen Camaro outsold both but people haven't gravitated to the current one. It's a shame because the Alpha platform is a champ as the Camaro blows both of those cars away in performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:29 PM   #5
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I wouldn't go that far. It's not nearly as graceful looking as the current Mustang and Challenger and it's reflected in sales as GM sells less than half the Camaros as Ford and Dodge sell Mustangs and Challengers. Funny thing is the last gen Camaro outsold both but people haven't gravitated to the current one. It's a shame because the Alpha platform is a champ as the Camaro blows both of those cars away in performance.
Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. To me, the refreshed Camaro looks way better than any Mustang. And I really dislike the Challenger.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 01:12 PM   #6
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. To me, the refreshed Camaro looks way better than any Mustang. And I really dislike the Challenger.
For sure. Just not enough like you as the end is near for the Camaro. I'm sure they will revive it in the future as an EV but it won't be the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 10:35 PM   #7
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
The Camaro has been a much higher performer on the track. It's taken ford years and years to catch up to 1LE performance and dodge was never even on the radar. The chassis is outstanding in the SS, SS 1LE, ZL1 and ZL1 1LE trims.

But, those are never the biggest movers, specially as you get higher in the spec. Those higher end models are what the enthusiasts buy and the enthusiasts are willing to make a few compromises for performance and driving enjoyment. The bread and butter is selling V6 and I-4 models, that's where the volume is and at those levels, ford and dodge have it all over the camaro, because the performance is NOT the primary thing at those levels and those buyers generally won't take any compromises for ergonomics, or at the least they will not go out of their way to get something that requires a compromise.

I like the visibility. I personally don't want every jane and joe looking into my car while I drive by...but it's still a compromise and while I love the SS 1LE, I would never consider a V6 or I-4 one, there are better cars for the money at those pricepoints for sure. Not so much at the SS 1LE/ZL1 1LE levels.
      01-18-2022, 10:51 PM   #8
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I owned a 2016 Camaro SS which I bought right around when they came out. I now own a 2019 Mustang GT. IMO the Camaro is technically a better car. I think it performs better, handles better and if I was going to the track it would be my choice. However for my use of just having some fun out on the street I prefer the Mustang. I also had a C7 and I would pick that one for the track over the other 2.

I think looks wise it's kind of 50/50 for me. I love the front and 3/4 look of the Camaro, but I hate the rear end and I think the Mustang looks good all over except I'm not a fan of the updated nose (which mine has). I think interior the Mustang wins. The Mustang is also more slender looking where the Camaro has that beefy look. You can go for the GT350 or such but still not as beefy as the higher trim Camaros.

I had never owned an American car until my Camaro. Mainly because the interiors were just sooooo bad. I think that 2016 Camaro was the first time the interior was acceptable to me, same with the C7. I was hooked on American muscle since then. I think my gf had an F30 335 for a short while but other than that I don't think I owned any German cars since that Camaro until now.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00