New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-17-2023, 06:13 PM   #1
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Mid/Southern Florida Real Estate

Looking for recommendations on areas in the middle to southern parts of Florida.

I don't need much and value safety, security, peace, and quiet more than anything else like some fancy architecture. It's just me and two cars so I don't need much space, either. A big reason for desiring these areas is because they have a fairly large population of Brazilian and other South American peoples, and I've always seen myself living by the coast towards the end of my days.

Anyone have certain areas they could recommend that would check off a few of those boxes? Probably more inland I'd imagine. I don't have to be right on the sand.

I'm also not swinging a big dick made of cash like Micvite and would like to keep it $500k and under.

Last edited by nerdogray; 05-17-2023 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 06:22 PM   #2
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3

If you are looking to reside in the areas popular with Brazilians and South Americans you are going to have to look at western Broward or Miami. And for around $500k, that is going to limit you in those areas.
nerdogray1274.00
      05-18-2023, 10:46 AM   #3
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
I don't need much and value safety, security, peace, and quiet more than anything else like some fancy architecture.
Wait... safety and peace and quiet.... why exactly are you looking at South Florida????

IMO South Florida is the complete opposite of all that. I live an hour north of Miami and I can't get any peace and quiet around here.

Anyways you didn't say what kind of home you are looking for, single family, condo, townhouse etc.

A single family for that price in Broward or Dade will be hard to find. You can find them, but they are typically tiny like 1200 sqft or less, typically need work and/or are in bad areas. If I was forced to move to Broward or Dade I might look into Homestead or maybe Hollywood. If you are looking into condos or townhouses then you may have more options, but then you have to deal with HOA fees and assessments.
Appreciate 3
      05-18-2023, 11:20 AM   #4
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Wait... safety and peace and quiet.... why exactly are you looking at South Florida????

IMO South Florida is the complete opposite of all that. I live an hour north of Miami and I can't get any peace and quiet around here.

Anyways you didn't say what kind of home you are looking for, single family, condo, townhouse etc.

A single family for that price in Broward or Dade will be hard to find. You can find them, but they are typically tiny like 1200 sqft or less, typically need work and/or are in bad areas. If I was forced to move to Broward or Dade I might look into Homestead or maybe Hollywood. If you are looking into condos or townhouses then you may have more options, but then you have to deal with HOA fees and assessments.
I can totally work with 1200 sqft or even less. Strongly prefer single-family. I guess peace and quiet is coming more from being tired of a stacked living situation with other tenants booming their stereos directly below or beside me (vibrating my floor and walls). It's relative. As long as I have my own space where that isn't happening (single-family), I'd be fine. I can drown out pretty much anything with white noise if it's irritating enough as long as I can't feel it. Been looking at listings, and $500k is definitely restrictive. Really need to open up more towards the $750k price point to get a better home. But getting there is a higher priority, and I can work with a lower quality home. I could live in a prison cell honestly. I am just not one for needing much space or stuff. The M5 is an obvious exception. I'll take a look at those areas. I had been looking up in the Broward County area but actually like the idea of being south of Miami due to some ex-girlfriends being in Broward themselves. Not likely I'd ever see them.. but... still.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 12:03 PM   #5
ErikJ1
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Sport

I live in Northern Palm County..Village of Tequesta..this is a great slice of quiet/calm and w our beach is dog friendly and always voted in the top 10 beaches in the US.Now .the village is 99% WASP af..no Brazil babes this far north. Single family homes are in the $799k to $14M range now
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1274.00
      05-18-2023, 12:18 PM   #6
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJ1 View Post
I live in Northern Palm County..Village of Tequesta..this is a great slice of quiet/calm and w our beach is dog friendly and always voted in the top 10 beaches in the US.Now .the village is 99% WASP af..no Brazil babes this far north. Single family homes are in the $799k to $14M range now
This is good info and meshes with another recommendation I had gotten elsewhere. That's two thumbs up now for Jupiter area.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 12:24 PM   #7
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Jensen Beach, Stuart, Jupiter, Delray. I hear Riviera Beach has gotten much safer but personally don't know.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1274.00
      05-18-2023, 01:59 PM   #8
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Got an agent focusing on the Jupiter area. Thanks for the assist, everyone. Really helps. I really hope I can put TN in my rearview mirror soon. After a little over 40 years here, I'm ready for something new and coastal... too many bad memories here and need a new locale to make fresh ones.

Last edited by nerdogray; 05-18-2023 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 02:25 PM   #9
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Got an agent focusing on the Jupiter area. Thanks for the assist, everyone. Really helps. I really hope I can put TN in my rearview mirror soon. After a little over 40 years here, I'm ready for something new and coastal... too many bad memories here and need a new locale to make fresh ones.
Northern Palm Beach and Southern Martin County are much more relaxed and quiet than the southern counties. Probably a better choice, but those areas are becoming crowded too as the prices are still somewhat reasonable.

Good luck.
nerdogray1274.00
      05-18-2023, 05:02 PM   #10
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is good info and meshes with another recommendation I had gotten elsewhere. That's two thumbs up now for Jupiter area.
Yeah, I thought you needed to be south for some reason.

If you don't the further north the more peace and quiet and the further your $$ will go. If you are willing to be further from the beach... and pretty much further from everything you can get a decent house with 1-2 acres out in Loxahatchee for $500-$650k. Jupiter is nice also. Wellington is also nice. With $650k you can probably find something in that area that's decent.... definitely waaaaay better than anything in Miami for that price.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1274.00
      05-18-2023, 05:07 PM   #11
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Yeah, I thought you needed to be south for some reason.

If you don't the further north the more peace and quiet and the further your $$ will go. If you are willing to be further from the beach... and pretty much further from everything you can get a decent house with 1-2 acres out in Loxahatchee for $500-$650k. Jupiter is nice also. Wellington is also nice. With $650k you can probably find something in that area that's decent.... definitely waaaaay better than anything in Miami for that price.

My requirements have kind of moved around in the past day just with new information. I had Broward County in my mind because that's just the area in which I had most direct, personal experience, but with all this new information, I'd be better served elsewhere. My agent said there's a new development called Westlake that is west of Jupiter, all new construction. But it's quite a bit inland.. like 20 miles or so I think he said. Really would prefer closer to the sea, to the point I can smell it on the air. I'm working on getting re-preapproved and will see where I'm at with financing, though. It may be that I have to go inland to follow more aggressive pricing. Every year for the past five years, I've poked my head out, started looking, got preapproved, only to get disgusted and just lease again... thinking to myself "next year should be better, this is crazy." Well each "next year" has done nothing but get worse. Rates are horrible, but rentals are over-the-top now, too.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 06:32 PM   #12
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My requirements have kind of moved around in the past day just with new information. I had Broward County in my mind because that's just the area in which I had most direct, personal experience, but with all this new information, I'd be better served elsewhere. My agent said there's a new development called Westlake that is west of Jupiter, all new construction. But it's quite a bit inland.. like 20 miles or so I think he said. Really would prefer closer to the sea, to the point I can smell it on the air. I'm working on getting re-preapproved and will see where I'm at with financing, though. It may be that I have to go inland to follow more aggressive pricing. Every year for the past five years, I've poked my head out, started looking, got preapproved, only to get disgusted and just lease again... thinking to myself "next year should be better, this is crazy." Well each "next year" has done nothing but get worse. Rates are horrible, but rentals are over-the-top now, too.
Yeah thats waaaaay out west, basically as far west as you can go right now. I think it's actually further west than Loxahatchee. Probably 35 min to the ocean or probably the same to Lake Okeechobee. Never been to that community but I have seen pics of houses there and the community it's nice. Most of the houses I've seen there are closer to high $600k to $800k but maybe the ones that haven't been built yet are cheaper. If you like that area and those mega communities look into Arden. Similar to Westlake. The upside to those places is for now less congested, typically new or almost new construction and those communities typically have a lot of amenities. Also better bang for your buck out in the middle of nowhere.

The downside is you're in the middle of nowhere, although I'm sure more stuff will be built out in the area with all the houses out there now. They are mega communities so you have to deal with HOAs and fees etc, which may be worth it if you use the amenities, but not if you don't. We have debated buying out there, but for me with current prices, interest rates, added taxes etc it doesn't seem worth it to move. Plus we have the house in NC to get away from all the chaos here. I think the only way I would move is either a really nice house with huge garage and acreage out in Loxahatchee or a nice beach house somewhere else in like "old" Florida.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1274.00
      05-18-2023, 09:16 PM   #13
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

33414 but you'll need to drive to find great restaurants. Safe, interesting seasonal residents (equestrians) and great town services / well run. $500K might be hard to find though.

Westlake is too far west and everything surrounding it is rural. We are far west and its a 20-30 minute ride from us. That wouldn't be my choice, although tons of people have bought there.

I doubt you will find anything anywhere near $500K in Jupiter (or even Jupiter Farms with dirt roads). Tequesta is nice, not sure if fits budget. Maybe a little further north in Stuart. Make sure the house has either impact resistant glass or at least shutters. Also, check the roof age (better be under 20 years and preferably under 10) and prepare yourself for insurance shock.
nerdogray1274.00
ASAP10057.00
      05-18-2023, 09:38 PM   #14
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
33414 but you'll need to drive to find great restaurants. Safe, interesting seasonal residents (equestrians) and great town services / well run. $500K might be hard to find though.

Westlake is too far west and everything surrounding it is rural. We are far west and its a 20-30 minute ride from us. That wouldn't be my choice, although tons of people have bought there.

I doubt you will find anything anywhere near $500K in Jupiter (or even Jupiter Farms with dirt roads). Tequesta is nice, not sure if fits budget. Maybe a little further north in Stuart. Make sure the house has either impact resistant glass or at least shutters. Also, check the roof age (better be under 20 years and preferably under 10) and prepare yourself for insurance shock.
I've already had to bump my budget up to $500k-$600k. Just not much available at all for under $500k, and what is available is wildly variable in upkeep and cleanliness. And it's hard to gauge a lot with just pics, but when you can see filth in tile grout from a low res pic, you know it's gotta be way worse in person. Thing about Westlake is new construction (who doesn't like new construction?). While I don't mind driving longer distances, I do enjoy living in city far more than rural. It's so nice to be able to step out the door and be minutes away from everything you want or need to do. Going to come down to a tough list of pros/cons that is restricted by availability. Price seems directly proportional to proximity to the beach, which I guess is why you seem to get a little more from Westlake than others. I'm sure they'll make that back in HOA, though.

Your recommendation of Wellington also falls in line with the recommendation of Arden. $500k's are doable, but far more properties are at that $600k+ mark it seems.

If I had to guess based on the plans, Westlake intends to try and become the epicenter of another fully developed town it looks like Wellington has become. Total guess, though. I'm winging all of this from a starting point of complete ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 09:54 PM   #15
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post

I forgot about insurance. Yeah I'm not sure what insurance is like in TN but if it's anything like NC get ready. My insurance is like $4k and that's after looking around forever and switching brokers a couple of times and I'm sure they will try to jack it up next year again. I think they wanted like $6k or $7k when my renewal came around.

Also taxes are significantly higher than in NC although the house in NC is in a pretty rural area. Still probably like 5x in FL compared to NC. And keep in mind most of the sites that show tax data on properties are showing what the current owners are paying which is probably based on a much lower value. I've seen a few posts on Nextdoor of people freaking out about their property tax after buying a property.
Appreciate 3
nerdogray1274.00
RickFLM410883.50
vreihen1614906.00
      05-18-2023, 10:03 PM   #16
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

That's a spicy premium. Already expecting to get ripped by an HOA, but with trying to keep track of everything else had not reached a point of thinking about insurance or tax. I looked at one property that had an HOA of $1474 or something. I assumed that was a total that included "club fees" for the golf course. I cannot imagine loving golf as much as half of an M5.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 10:15 PM   #17
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's a spicy premium. Already expecting to get ripped by an HOA, but with trying to keep track of everything else had not reached a point of thinking about insurance or tax. I looked at one property that had an HOA of $1474 or something. I assumed that was a total that included "club fees" for the golf course. I cannot imagine loving golf as much as half of an M5.
Nah that's probably just the monthly dues. Typically the fancy golf course country clubs have a mandatory buy in fee. This is also why sometimes you see houses being sold cheaper in these country clubs. You gotta pay anywhere from $40k-$100k+ initiation fee or whatever then you pay your monthly HOA dues on top of that. It's pretty crazy. Not sure your age but we also have a lot of 55+ communities so if you are not 55+ look out for that also.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410883.50
nerdogray1274.00
      05-18-2023, 10:16 PM   #18
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
I've already had to bump my budget up to $500k-$600k. Just not much available at all for under $500k, and what is available is wildly variable in upkeep and cleanliness. And it's hard to gauge a lot with just pics, but when you can see filth in tile grout from a low res pic, you know it's gotta be way worse in person. Thing about Westlake is new construction (who doesn't like new construction?). While I don't mind driving longer distances, I do enjoy living in city far more than rural. It's so nice to be able to step out the door and be minutes away from everything you want or need to do. Going to come down to a tough list of pros/cons that is restricted by availability. Price seems directly proportional to proximity to the beach, which I guess is why you seem to get a little more from Westlake than others. I'm sure they'll make that back in HOA, though.

Your recommendation of Wellington also falls in line with the recommendation of Arden. $500k's are doable, but far more properties are at that $600k+ mark it seems.

If I had to guess based on the plans, Westlake intends to try and become the epicenter of another fully developed town it looks like Wellington has become. Total guess, though. I'm winging all of this from a starting point of complete ignorance.
It’s difficult to find a home where you won’t want to do something to it, even for $600K. And even new construction (Westlake or anywhere else in FL), which will need landscaping, window treatments, and plenty of other stuff. And new construction can have issues too - my condo building in Asheville was new construction and 3 years later the COA is still dealing with the builder to fix issues. Conceptually, yes, new construction is attractive, especially with respect to having everything built to current code and getting a new roof (which should get you lower insurance) and new everything else.

And, yes, anything closer to the beach is going to cost a lot more and be more of a storm / insurance risk. We love South Florida and don’t want to live anywhere else, but a lot of people move here not fully aware of “regional challenges” like storm preparation and insurance costs. There are some offsets - winters have incredible weather and no state income tax, to name a couple. So my advice is to take a trip down and drive through all the various areas you are considering and areas you may not live but might frequent to pick an area that works best all around within your budget.
nerdogray1274.00
ASAP10057.00
      05-19-2023, 05:34 AM   #19
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I know this has been mentioned but i'll add that the FL real estate market has absolutely gone bonkers... things are +100% since 3 years ago and there is little inventory... this is not confined to any part of the state either. Also, as someone mentioned, your home insurance will be the highest in the nation... if you even find someone happy to insure you lol... honestly i don't know how normal people make it here anymore.
      05-19-2023, 08:41 AM   #20
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

I took a look at the purchase histories, and it's crazy. Properties that were going for $150k's in 2018 are now well into $400k's.. Definitely a brute force move to get into the market right now. I'm suspecting preapproval will come back with a number that isn't even possible for the market there.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10057.00
      05-19-2023, 08:54 AM   #21
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2022 M240i

We have been in south Florida for going on 5 years after being lifers in NYS. Yes RE is crazy here.. our house has doubled in value since moving here. We love everything about it except driving is the absolute worst. Its bad enough that we are daydreaming of moving a bit north out of PBC.
nerdogray1274.00
      05-19-2023, 03:02 PM   #22
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I know this has been mentioned but i'll add that the FL real estate market has absolutely gone bonkers... things are +100% since 3 years ago and there is little inventory... this is not confined to any part of the state either. Also, as someone mentioned, your home insurance will be the highest in the nation... if you even find someone happy to insure you lol... honestly i don't know how normal people make it here anymore.
Compared to where I live, Florida is still a bargain. Miami area home prices are pretty high, but you still get more for your money and that extra 10% savings in state income tax.

If I had family/friends in Miami I'd seriously consider a move.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1274.00