New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #111
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I was thinking more of the spend $4000 in 3 months to get the bonus. On an international trip, you can hit that. I don't normally spend that much on credit cards in 3 months.
The quickest and surest way of reaching your spend limit in time is to PREPAY for your monthly bills. Often you're allowed to carry a credit balance on your cable, some utility and cell phone bills. Literally just log on, and charge like $1000 onto your bill pay with that credit card, and it counts for the purposes of "spending" on the credit card.

Also, pay your car/house insurance on your credit card too, it's like $500+ a pop. In a pinch, buy gift cards that you will use over time, namely gas station, restaurants, grocery stores.

You basically prepay for all the stuff you were going to buy sooner or later. That's the game
      08-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #112
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I applied online for the card yesterday and was approved in about 5 seconds. The weird part is that two of my coworkers are Chase Private Client customers and they are still waiting for approval. How weird is that!? It's been a couple of days already.

I promptly canceled my Amex Platinum just before I was to be hit with another $450 annual. I still plan to use my Amex Everyday Preferred card as my main card due to the 50% points multiplier on all categories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
they should call the Chase reconsideration line, they usually can expedite the process. Usually, they're backed up on fraud verification part of the approval process.

Last week, I applied for the Chase Hyatt card. Applied at 11pm. Next day, called the reconsideration line, asked about it, they said I was approved, but needed to check in whether it was a fraudulent application and that "they were going to call me".
For this card especially, Chase is upholding their 5/24 rule regularly. More often than not (confirmed on flyertalk), those exceeding 5/24 were given a waiting period or denials over those under the 5/24.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #113
Z K
Major General
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
The quickest and surest way of reaching your spend limit in time is to PREPAY for your monthly bills. Often you're allowed to carry a credit balance on your cable, some utility and cell phone bills. Literally just log on, and charge like $1000 onto your bill pay with that credit card, and it counts for the purposes of "spending" on the credit card.

Also, pay your car/house insurance on your credit card too, it's like $500+ a pop. In a pinch, buy gift cards that you will use over time, namely gas station, restaurants, grocery stores.

You basically prepay for all the stuff you were going to buy sooner or later. That's the game
I never thought about "prepaying" my utility and cell phone bills...

Also car/house payments generally don't take credit cards. At least the ones I have. I just googled it and it looks like you can work around that by buying money orders or using some services to do that. Seems a lot of hassle.
      08-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #114
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra2k6 View Post
define big trips? my airfair is usually $500 $900 once a year would it still be worth it? I wanted to replace my Chase sapphire preferred with this i got instant approval so card should be on the way.
Big trips is relative I guess. Since the annual fee is 450, and you receive 300 back in statement credit when you spend on travel categories, it works out to 150. For 3X on travel and dining purchases, I think the extra 55 (up from chase sapphire preferred) is well worth the additional bonus.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #115
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Also car/house payments generally don't take credit cards. At least the ones I have. I just googled it and it looks like you can work around that by buying money orders or using some services to do that. Seems a lot of hassle.
All the other stuff with money orders or cash cards are too complicated and costs money.

Just do cell phone and Comcast bills. I have like a $1200 credit on my cell phone bill and a $300 credit on my Comcast bill. If you had set up online bill pay on those accounts, you literally just hit the pay button again and type in your $ you want to prepay. Don't get lazy though, generally these companies have a cap on how much credit you can keep at one time. So don't put all $4000 at Comcast... Also, if you cancel service, it's all your money anyways, so they'll just cut you a check.

Sadly, $1200 is like 11 months of cell phone bill payments for my household, and $300 is like 3 months of Comcast.

Also, don't forget about insurance bills. They accept credit as well. And whatever is left over for spending, go to Safeway and buy a $200 Safeway/Amazon card or go to Chevron and buy a $200 Chevron gift card to prepay for all your spending at those locations.

I'm sitting on like $500 of Chevron cards and some various Target, Trader Joes, Safeway and Amazon cards at home.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 08-24-2016 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2016, 04:02 PM   #116
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking more of the spend $4000 in 3 months to get the bonus. On an international trip, you can hit that. I don't normally spend that much on credit cards in 3 months.
Really? $4000/3 months = $1333.33

Not judging your spend or anything, considering everybody is in a different situation. I tend to use my cc for almost everything, I only use cash when places don't accept cc and for tips, only that. I always carry cash for an emergency, but always pay with cc for points and convenience.

After gas, groceries, cable, internet, occasional dinners/lunches, I'm almost halfway there! All that's before even buying a plane ticket. You'd be surprised, it all adds up very quickly.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2016, 04:03 PM   #117
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All the other stuff with money orders or cash cards are too complicated and costs money.

Just do cell phone and Comcast bills. I have like a $1200 credit on my cell phone bill and a $300 credit on my Comcast bill.

Sadly, $1200 is like 11 months of cell phone bill payments for my household, and $300 is like 3 months of Comcast.

Also, don't forget about insurance bills. They accept credit as well. And whatever is left over for spending, go to Safeway and buy a $200 Safeway/Amazon card or go to Chevron and buy a $200 Chevron gift card to prepay for all your spending at those locations.

I'm sitting on like $500 of Chevron cards and some various Trader Joes, Safeway and Amazon cards at home.
This. You're going to buy gas anyways, just prepay your gas!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 04:04 PM   #118
Z K
Major General
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:

Just do cell phone and Comcast bills. I have like a $1200 credit on my cell phone bill and a $300 credit on my Comcast bill.

I'm sitting on like $500 of Chevron cards and some various Trader Joes, Safeway and Amazon cards at home.
Good tips on ways to spend a lot quickly!

Very interesting ways to accumulate bonuses quickly.
      08-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #119
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRookie View Post
Really? $4000/3 months = $1333.33

Not judging your spend or anything, considering everybody is in a different situation. I tend to use my cc for almost everything, I only use cash when places don't accept cc and for tips, only that. I always carry cash for an emergency, but always pay with cc for points and convenience.

After gas, groceries, cable, internet, occasional dinners/lunches, I'm almost halfway there! All that's before even buying a plane ticket. You'd be surprised, it all adds up very quickly.

+1 I keep a couple bucks in my car, bike, backpack (I generally wear on the bike), etc but I never spend cash and carry as little as needed. Just an excuse to lose it. Used to walk around with a wad of cash. Esp with rewards and cash back cards. Pay a couple days after you use it, or wait a couple weeks if you really want to play the "grace period" game. I am obsessive about finances though.

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #120
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Good tips on ways to spend a lot quickly!

Very interesting ways to accumulate bonuses quickly.
yep. Looks like you're new to the credit card churn game.

basic rules:

1. Don't horde. Apply to cards when you have a plan to use the bonus points, perhaps a honeymoon, one-month trip to Asia, Euro Deliver etc. You can get screwed on planned points devaluations over time or pay fees annually to retain points after you cancel your initial credit card

- AMEX has lifetime rules now. You can only qualify for bonuses once your whole life. So if you apply for the Plat card 10 years later, you'll get the card and benefits, you just won't get the bonus points

2. Always have liquid cash on hand to pay off the huge spending thresholds. When you do the prepay concept that I wrote, you literally need that much in your bank account within the first month to pay it all off so you don't carry a balance and incur financing charges

3. research, research research! Research program rules. Use forums like flyertalk to get the basics and details of each benefit.
      08-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #121
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
This. You're going to buy gas anyways, just prepay your gas!
I'm also sitting on like 3 years worth of M3 oil change parts. They're like $100 a pop with air filter and all.
      08-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #122
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I've been researching this card since it was first announced and I think it is a worthy upgrade to my Sapphire Preferred. Assuming I get approved, I will have to look into changing the Preferred card over to one of the Freedom cards.
      08-24-2016, 04:24 PM   #123
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
For this card especially, Chase is upholding their 5/24 rule regularly. More often than not (confirmed on flyertalk), those exceeding 5/24 were given a waiting period or denials over those under the 5/24.
Did I reach my 5 /24? I need to cancel a Chase card before I can do the next Sapphire deal, I believe.

My Chase cards:

1. Freedom (outstanding, had this since 2007)
2. Southwest Premier (outstanding, 2 years since opening)
3. Southwest Plus (cancelled last year, 2 years since opening)
4. Marriott (outstanding, 2 years since opening)
5. Hyatt (outstanding, just got it this month)
      08-24-2016, 06:12 PM   #124
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did I reach my 5 /24? I need to cancel a Chase card before I can do the next Sapphire deal, I believe.

My Chase cards:

1. Freedom (outstanding, had this since 2007)
2. Southwest Premier (outstanding, 2 years since opening)
3. Southwest Plus (cancelled last year, 2 years since opening)
4. Marriott (outstanding, 2 years since opening)
5. Hyatt (outstanding, just got it this month)
I believe the 5/24 "rule" isn't for credit cards. IIRC, the rule applies to your person credit checks or hard pulls. I could be wrong, but if it is for credit cards, then I think you're just under at 4/24?

Then again, I don't think its a confirmed or hard rule that Chase applies, but for the most part it looks like it could be.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 06:42 AM   #125
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
Like i said this card replaces the palladium card. We no longer offer the palladium anymore.
I have a Palladium card but haven't heard anything about having to switch. Will those of us that have them keep them, if so for how long?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 06:48 AM   #126
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
I must ask: what is the use for such high CL? I can't imagine buying anything more than $10k on a card and paying it off at month end.
I usually don't spend a ton but it's nice for those times when you need it. Like this month I had my car serviced and brakes replaced, that's over $4500 on the card right off the bat. Also put Dinan tune and exhaust on my card the same month. Insurance was also up for renewal, and I took 3 trips this month. A very unusual month, but everything went on the card. Definitely comes in handy. This card also has a hidden tradeline so it doesn't report usage to the credit bureaus.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #127
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep

Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

My dealership was going to let me put my entire M2 on my Amex. LOL. I cut them a break and wrote them a check instead. My CA was like... "Yeah, we do take credit cards." The finance manager was like ... "Seriously? FML."
      08-25-2016, 08:27 AM   #128
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxgt3 View Post
I have a Palladium card but haven't heard anything about having to switch. Will those of us that have them keep them, if so for how long?
You can keep it, we just no longer offer it.
      08-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #129
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Also for those who are wandering about the credit limits, this is our newest signature card therfore minimum credit is 10k. I'm not sure if this card is metal i would imagine that is is though.
      08-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #130
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Just spoke to Chase.

-Card will be metal
-You can (and should) consolidate your Sapphire Preferred credit line and points
-Cards are shipping ASAP
-No current offers for referral bonuses

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #131
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
Also for those who are wandering about the credit limits, this is our newest signature card therfore minimum credit is 10k. I'm not sure if this card is metal i would imagine that is is though.
Do you know what the difference is between the JP Morgan Reserve and the Sapphire Reserve? Will Palladium card holders be converted to JPMR?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #132
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxgt3 View Post
I usually don't spend a ton but it's nice for those times when you need it. Like this month I had my car serviced and brakes replaced, that's over $4500 on the card right off the bat. Also put Dinan tune and exhaust on my card the same month. Insurance was also up for renewal, and I took 3 trips this month. A very unusual month, but everything went on the card. Definitely comes in handy. This card also has a hidden tradeline so it doesn't report usage to the credit bureaus.
Would have preferred that the card come out a few weeks sooner as I just paid for my insurance renewal and car registration 2 weeks ago. Waiting for it to arrive and put tires purchase on there.
Appreciate 0