Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13897
Rep
7,030
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
The Illusory Truth Effect and the Mainstream Media

It's been mentioned many times on these fora as well as in other places the fact that the leading media outlets, save Fox, often repeat the same talking points...not just the subject of the points but using identical language. This is a deliberate action which makes the target of the information more accepting of it because it's repeated many times.

This is called the Illusory Truth Effect. The actual definition is as follows:

Illusory truth effect
The illusory truth effect is the tendency to believe information to be correct after repeated exposure. This phenomenon was first identified in a 1977 study at Villanova University and Temple University. When truth is assessed, people rely on whether the information is in line with their understanding or if it feels familiar.

Could this be the reason that people reject, outright, objective realities with respect to Mr. Trump, Justice Kavanaugh, and the entire Mueller Hoax?

I'd love to have a robust, yet respectful, conversation about this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 8
      09-14-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
4899
Rep
5,465
Posts

 
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (17)

No doubt about it. What's worse is that these networks, especially CNN, have seemingly daily "bombshell" lies about Trump which are meekly (if at all) walked back later on. The damage is already done, as the lie is continued to be believed by their faithful watchers who believe anything they and the rest of the MSM tell them without question. I've never seen a more irresponsible press than I've seen the past few years, they've absolutely put to rest any sort of notion that they're fair and impartial.

The Trump/Russian collusion was such obvious phony BS from the get go, yet many unfortunate souls still believe in it because they've heard all the "bombshell" BS above and either haven't heard they were all lies, or still choose to believe in them anyway because of their insane hatred for DJT.
Appreciate 5
MKSixer13897.00
SakhirM49298.50
Germanauto3239.00
arkie6300.50

      09-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
SoCalS2k
Captain
SoCalS2k's Avatar
275
Rep
740
Posts

 
Drives: S2K!
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
Are you kidding. This is what the republicans been doing since Iraq war. Shady behind the scenes Fox News ppl decide on some "talking point" then everyone goes out the next day and keeps repeating the same thing over and over. How many times I gotta hear about yellow cake or whatever republicans make up each day and just repeat over and over. This thread is a joke you trying to make it into a MSM thing. They are also evil but this trick is 100% a shady republican trick

I'll predict already all the insane republicans here will agree with you and that's about it. Because they are all suckers and follow exactly the method of repeating BS
Appreciate 1
cjb762534.50

      09-14-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
gjm120
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
980
Rep
1,742
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 128i
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: East Texas

iTrader: (0)

I watched CSPAN today showing the House comm (or was it Subcomm) hearings on impeachment. This was from Thu. Any objective person would have got out of what bit I watched that the pro-impeach side is simply trying to keep the dialogue going. And that feeds CNN etal. There were mostly points of procedure discussed by Repubs making comparisons to prior impeachment processes (Nixon & Clinton). I think Collins from GA basically said shit or get off the pot on impeachment. Others put forth arguments along the same lines of why is there an investigation of whether to investigate to impeach?

Have to admit I probably got a lot of this wrong as Looney Tunes was on at the same time and I couldn't decide what show was funnier. Hard to compete with Foghorn Leghorn.
__________________
E82 / Ver Red / Blk Boston L / BMWP Springs w/ Koni Yellows / M front control arms / M rear guide rods / AT / Sport seats & steering wheel + paddles
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille2710.50

      09-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13897
Rep
7,030
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
Are you kidding. This is what the republicans been doing since Iraq war. Shady behind the scenes Fox News ppl decide on some "talking point" then everyone goes out the next day and keeps repeating the same thing over and over. How many times I gotta hear about yellow cake or whatever republicans make up each day and just repeat over and over. This thread is a joke you trying to make it into a MSM thing. They are also evil but this trick is 100% a shady republican trick

I'll predict already all the insane republicans here will agree with you and that's about it. Because they are all suckers and follow exactly the method of repeating BS
No. I'm not. Here is one example. Dozens of mentions. Multiple networks. Multiple shows.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 1
SakhirM49298.50

      09-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #6
2000cs
Lieutenant
900
Rep
571
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

It is a real phenomenon made worse by the lack of original sourcing and objective analysis on most if not all “news” tv. It starts with talking points issued by the parties (companies write their own news stories, too, in the form of press releases which are almost always reported verbatim or slightly edited for length only). Fox News doesn’t fit the TV model because they really have no other station to echo their points or to pick up from, but they do it across programs and of course radio (Rush nationally, others locally) often run the same points.

It is a real problem for recipients of this because the echo, as the OP points out, legitimizes the reporting and it isn’t challenged unless someone does their own sourcing and deeper thinking. I think this is why so many are willing to accept and advocate for the “good” of socialism without any consideration of the considerable “evil” it has wrought/enabled around the globe. And that’s just one example.

In my view it is neither a R or D thing; rather it is a tactic both sides in all debates use to further their agenda.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer13897.00

      09-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13897
Rep
7,030
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
One more example:

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 1
Run Silent10990.50

      09-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #8
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13897
Rep
7,030
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
It is a real phenomenon made worse by the lack of original sourcing and objective analysis on most if not all “news” tv. It starts with talking points issued by the parties (companies write their own news stories, too, in the form of press releases which are almost always reported verbatim or slightly edited for length only). Fox News doesn’t fit the TV model because they really have no other station to echo their points or to pick up from, but they do it across programs and of course radio (Rush nationally, others locally) often run the same points.

It is a real problem for recipients of this because the echo, as the OP points out, legitimizes the reporting and it isn’t challenged unless someone does their own sourcing and deeper thinking. I think this is why so many are willing to accept and advocate for the “good” of socialism without any consideration of the considerable “evil” it has wrought/enabled around the globe. And that’s just one example.

In my view it is neither a R or D thing; rather it is a tactic both sides in all debates use to further their agenda.
I agree with everything you've written here but for one fact: As over 90% of media workers identify as progressive or liberal and most of what is know as the mainstream media is identified as liberal the technique is more often used by weight of media volume.

Great post.
Cheers-mk
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
7273
Rep
9,052
Posts

 
Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Meh.
Many on here confuse news reporting with opinion. If there's a piece of news, it's reported on by the news outlets.

As an example, someone here pointed out that the BBC is very pro Jeremy Corbyn. As an example they posted 5 or 6 articles. Alas, none were pro Corbyn articles. They were articles reporting on what Corbyn said. It's like a US news source reporting on what Nancy Pelosi said, or Mitch McConnell. Neither pro nor con, simply news.
__________________
I need some warm warming up stuff -LUPS
Appreciate 1
MKSixer13897.00

      09-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #10
Shredicus
Major
Shredicus's Avatar
United_States
426
Rep
1,063
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Spokane, WA

iTrader: (12)

At this point you've either drank the kool-aid and believe the media's every word, or become so jaded and cynical by the bullshit that you believe none of it. An unfortunate polarization.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer13897.00
Now_Rudi5656.50

      09-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #11
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13897
Rep
7,030
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Meh.
Many on here confuse news reporting with opinion. If there's a piece of news, it's reported on by the news outlets.

As an example, someone here pointed out that the BBC is very pro Jeremy Corbyn. As an example they posted 5 or 6 articles. Alas, none were pro Corbyn articles. They were articles reporting on what Corbyn said. It's like a US news source reporting on what Nancy Pelosi said, or Mitch McConnell. Neither pro nor con, simply news.
I disagree with much of what you wrote because of the language used in said reporting. And when you say neither pro or con you are omitting Mr. Trump on whom over 90%+ of the reporting is negative with a similar number of reporters claiming to be liberal or progressive.

https://www.npr.org/2017/10/02/55509...her-presidents
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 3
SakhirM49298.50
Poiseuille2710.50
Run Silent10990.50

      09-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #12
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
7273
Rep
9,052
Posts

 
Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Meh.
Many on here confuse news reporting with opinion. If there's a piece of news, it's reported on by the news outlets.

As an example, someone here pointed out that the BBC is very pro Jeremy Corbyn. As an example they posted 5 or 6 articles. Alas, none were pro Corbyn articles. They were articles reporting on what Corbyn said. It's like a US news source reporting on what Nancy Pelosi said, or Mitch McConnell. Neither pro nor con, simply news.
I disagree with much of what you wrote because of the language used in said reporting. And when you say neither pro or con you are omitting Mr. Trump on whom over 90%+ of the reporting is negative with a similar number of reporters claiming to be liberal or progressive.

https://www.npr.org/2017/10/02/55509...her-presidents
Mr. trumps comments are portrayed as negative because........ they are. He cannot cogently speak about issues.
__________________
I need some warm warming up stuff -LUPS
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #13
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13897
Rep
7,030
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Mr. trumps comments are portrayed as negative because........ they are. He cannot cogently speak about issues.
I said nothing about his comments. I said the reporting on him which is far more than simply about his comments.

Sources?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 3
SakhirM49298.50
lakefront173.00
Run Silent10990.50

      09-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
2000cs
Lieutenant
900
Rep
571
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

The OP is not about Trump’s comments nor the reporting on them being negative. It is about the Illusory Truth Effect, exemplified by the echo of nearly identical comments across multiple outlets - as if they were all prompted by the same core source. There are so many videos of this echoing - Collusion, Beginning of the End, Impeachment, for example. Also anything that can be tagged Climate Crisis or Climate Disaster gets this treatment as well.

It might be easier to take if one outlet reported using one set of words and another chose to use a different phrasing, but when they are nearly identical it reinforces the OP’s point and, for me, creates cynicism about the event being reported.
Appreciate 5
SakhirM49298.50
MKSixer13897.00
arkie6300.50
Now_Rudi5656.50

      09-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #15
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
7273
Rep
9,052
Posts

 
Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
The OP is not about Trump's comments nor the reporting on them being negative. It is about the Illusory Truth Effect, exemplified by the echo of nearly identical comments across multiple outlets - as if they were all prompted by the same core source. There are so many videos of this echoing - Collusion, Beginning of the End, Impeachment, for example. Also anything that can be tagged Climate Crisis or Climate Disaster gets this treatment as well.

It might be easier to take if one outlet reported using one set of words and another chose to use a different phrasing, but when they are nearly identical it reinforces the OP's point and, for me, creates cynicism about the event being reported.
As an example, there was a moon landing 1969. A lot of the same language was used by all the news outlets.

Zwang And kite surfer/liberty will tell you it's fake, I say it was news, and it was reported on. Much like the news today.
__________________
I need some warm warming up stuff -LUPS
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #16
Poiseuille
Colonel
Poiseuille's Avatar
United_States
2711
Rep
2,357
Posts

 
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Princeton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
Are you kidding. This is what the republicans been doing since Iraq war. Shady behind the scenes Fox News ppl decide on some "talking point" then everyone goes out the next day and keeps repeating the same thing over and over. How many times I gotta hear about yellow cake or whatever republicans make up each day and just repeat over and over. This thread is a joke you trying to make it into a MSM thing. They are also evil but this trick is 100% a shady republican trick

I'll predict already all the insane republicans here will agree with you and that's about it. Because they are all suckers and follow exactly the method of repeating BS
.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
MKSixer13897.00
Now_Rudi5656.50

      09-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #17
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13897
Rep
7,030
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
As an example, there was a moon landing 1969. A lot of the same language was used by all the news outlets.

Zwang And kite surfer/liberty will tell you it's fake, I say it was news, and it was reported on. Much like the news today.
Not applicable. The moon landing was a scientific event with a rather constrained vocabulary.

We are now discussing 7 outlets using IDENTICAL LANGUAGE. There are ample videos on different subjects over time with the exact same language being used. This isn't an accident. It's a deliberate and coordinated effort to influence the populace in a certain direction.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 1
2000cs900.00

      09-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #18
2000cs
Lieutenant
900
Rep
571
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
As an example, there was a moon landing 1969. A lot of the same language was used by all the news outlets.

Zwang And kite surfer/liberty will tell you it's fake, I say it was news, and it was reported on. Much like the news today.
I recall the landing but I don’t recall flipping between the three networks and PBS or even considering how it was being reported - I wasn’t a teenager yet. But it wouldn’t surprise me if your statement is correct, because there was only one source for video, audio and “news” about the landing and moon walk, and that was NASA. Which supports the OP (in this case you, I and most others accept the reporting as true).

With more “news” television and all of the entertainment-styled-as-news there is more opportunity to have the Illusory Truth Effect with erroneous, or even blatantly false information. This is particularly true with opinion masking as news on so many cable networks.

When there is a repeated error, hyperbole or falsehood, the correction, if it comes, never receives the same degree of echo, so the impression, if not the error, remains. This is obvious in any newspaper, where error corrections are printed in regular font in an inconspicuous place, once. Yet the story and attendant editorials likely were multiple.

TLDR: it isn’t a problem if the story is factual, but it is when there are errors or blatant falsehoods. The fact that it occurs suggests common sourcing for the story.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer13897.00

      Yesterday, 07:48 AM   #19
adc100
Major
827
Rep
1,024
Posts

 
Drives: 2018 Forester XT
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabethtown PA

iTrader: (0)

Arguing with a liberal is like pissing against a 120 mph wind. The results are predictable.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:13 AM   #20
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
Canada
6182
Rep
1,895
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Media keeps getting it wrong, but can't seem to help themselves

Appreciate 3
MKSixer13897.00
arkie6300.50

      Yesterday, 08:17 AM   #21
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
Canada
6182
Rep
1,895
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Katherine McKenna Canada's Environment Minister

Ms McKenna caught on video in a bar explaining how the liberals have learned that if you repeat something often enough and loud enough that people will believe it.

Appreciate 2
MKSixer13897.00
arkie6300.50

      Yesterday, 08:23 AM   #22
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
Canada
6182
Rep
1,895
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Classic example of the OP assertion

Appreciate 3
MKSixer13897.00
SakhirM49298.50
arkie6300.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST