New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

07-05-2020, 04:18 PM   #199
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
"Ferrari lost their biggest fan: "SEB" ! Listen to this my friends ...

Brilliant rendition of these two great songs and so appropriate in this case.
Appreciate 3
JN1300.50
apexit41230.50
      07-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #200
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Negative mate . I like SEB , always did . But what Ferrari did to him , I feel sorry for him .
Probably that's why I like him even more .

According SEB :
Ferrari mechanics/engineers have chosen the wrong setup for my car today .
I told them : It looked completely wrong for my feeling in the car .
Probably they put the rear wing to low , to gain some top-speed !

I could see that during the race from today . SEB was struggling the whole race to find some traction and grip , even with lack of power on softs !
Actually it looked like sliding . It's a miracle he didn't crashed seriously...
I think Ferrari screwed him once again .They make him look like "The Clown" of the F1 circus .....

If I was SEB . I would crash that prancing horse "Intentionally"
I'm thinking that too,Seb had little say in how his car is set up while Lec has it done to a tee. Seb's car was like the rear wheels were steering, what a disgrace!
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2020, 05:03 PM   #201
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I'm thinking that too,Seb had little say in how his car is set up while Lec has it done to a tee. Seb's car was like the rear wheels were steering, what a disgrace!
All that I'm hoping for is : That SEB can finish in front of Leclerc , in every single race ...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
apexit41230.50
      07-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #202
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Well ....Today we saw 2 spectators => https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/co...m_medium=web2x

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
apexit41230.50
      07-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #203
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Well ....Today we saw 2 spectators => https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/co...m_medium=web2x
So there WERE spectators present
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #204
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

wow cant believe how much blindly you re supporting Vettel guys.. you may love him and want to support him, i do respect that.. but like there is/was nothing wrong with him just victimizing him like Ferrari killed his career.. its his 6th season with Ferrari.. 6th..

it is not rational, he blew a lot of good chances.. and i want to remind you guys, his quote he loves to say.. "Im a racing driver, i always have to find some excuse.." and now blaming mechanics for setting the car wrong is in another level.. wow.. he had more than 4 hours of track time to set the car right before quali.. i highly doubt there wont be a 4 times world champion like him again in this way.. i hope on next A1 Ring race weekend he ll smash the whole grid, otherwise it ll start to get funny.. cheers..
      07-05-2020, 06:09 PM   #205
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

It got boring there after Max went out but picked right back up after the first safety car bunched them up and let the Mercs fight it out. Was expecting some mechanical or electrical issues it being the first race but didn’t expect almost half the field gone.

I thought the rules were unchanged from last year so was really surprised at Ferrari’s loss of performance. Their engine was the class of the field last year but maybe all those inquiries at the end of the season put an end to some “questionable” power advantages. Looks like another runaway season for Mercedes. At this point I’m just looking forward to the rule changes and spending caps to usher in a new era and bunch up the teams some more.

Gutted for Albon, looked for sure he would have challenged for the win with the pace after the second SC. Very happy for Norris and McLaren, a few rough years but looks like they’re finally putting it together and getting closer to the top teams.

Last edited by E92inNC; 07-05-2020 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
      07-05-2020, 06:40 PM   #206
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
wow cant believe how much blindly you re supporting Vettel guys.. you may love him and want to support him, i do respect that.. but like there is/was nothing wrong with him just victimizing him like Ferrari killed his career.. its his 6th season with Ferrari.. 6th..

it is not rational, he blew a lot of good chances.. and i want to remind you guys, his quote he loves to say.. "Im a racing driver, i always have to find some excuse.." and now blaming mechanics for setting the car wrong is in another level.. wow.. he had more than 4 hours of track time to set the car right before quali.. i highly doubt there wont be a 4 times world champion like him again in this way.. i hope on next A1 Ring race weekend he ll smash the whole grid, otherwise it ll start to get funny.. cheers..
Not to mention his teammate with an identical car finished P2...

SEB didn't have the pace in qualifying and his error making contact and spinning cost him whatever outside chance he had to move up in the field.
Appreciate 1
yco5722.50
      07-05-2020, 06:45 PM   #207
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

According the latest from Totto Wolff. Translated from German :

Today we were very lucky to finish the race .
It started with Bottas in the front . A sensor in the gearbox showed us "Gremlins"
Later in the race we saw it also in the gearbox from Lewis .
I was very worried . The gearbox sensor was failing .
I'm very happy that we could avoid an "Instant Kill"

Appreciate 3
yco5722.50
apexit41230.50
M5Rick58897.50
      07-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #208
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Wowie!

Quote:
According the latest from Totto Wolff. Translated from German :

Today we were very lucky to finish the race .
It started with Bottas in the front . A sensor in the gearbox showed us "Gremlins"
Later in the race we saw it also in the gearbox from Lewis .
I was very worried . The gearbox sensor was failing .
I'm very happy that we could avoid an "Instant Kill"
Wowie!
My MBelgium friend -
So it wasn't a failing gearbox but a failing sensor??
      07-05-2020, 07:01 PM   #209
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Wowie!
My MBelgium friend -
So it wasn't a failing gearbox but a failing sensor??
Yes my friend . It was a sensor from the Mercs gearbox

Appreciate 2
apexit41230.50
M5Rick58897.50
      07-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #210
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep

Drives: E39, E91, E91

It was lost amongst all the other retirements but it was nice to see George making some progress up the field. I’ve never been a Williams fan, even in their glory days, but it’s nice to see them mixing things up with the midfield. It would be a shame if we ultimately lose another team to performance and or financial issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 07:31 PM   #211
msk340i
Major
Rep

Drives: 340i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
He faught pretty good in those passes he made towards the end imo.
It was good racing on his part and he was in the right place to take advantage.
Oh no it was good driving but nothing compared to last year's battle with VER
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2020, 07:37 PM   #212
msk340i
Major
Rep

Drives: 340i M sport

Quote:

We differ s lot but I like reading your comments and it shows that you're intelligent and you know what you're talking about. Read the rest of this and watch the video.
Have you ever seen a driver fighting turn-in oversteer and exit oversteer this much on a single lap? Yes I'm a fan and yes he makes mistakes but I don't support him because he wins only. I support him for many reasons. I actually started supporting him in 2014/2015. When he wasn't winning.

https://streamable.com/769gbq

Please watch this and tell me if that's an acceptable car setup. Watch Peter Windsor talk about Leclerc's driving style. He uses the car's tendency to oversteer on entry to rotate the car and the SF1000 is tailored to his taste. Seb likes a pointy car like the RB's he drove and like the SF70 and SF71. The SF1000 is a car that doesn't match his driving style.
He fucked up today. If he was patient he would've gotten a respectable position but that's something I like about him. He's always on the attack although it gets him in a lot of trouble like Hockenheimring 2018.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2020, 07:53 PM   #213
iamwingman
Major
Rep

Drives: 21 Carrera S, 23 Tesla Model S

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91WAG3N View Post
It was lost amongst all the other retirements but it was nice to see George making some progress up the field. I’ve never been a Williams fan, even in their glory days, but it’s nice to see them mixing things up with the midfield. It would be a shame if we ultimately lose another team to performance and or financial issues.
I wouldn’t call it mixing it up with midfield. But I get your point. I think they have progressed in so far as maybe they aren’t dead last. Looks like there will be a battle of the worst. Between Williams, Alpha Romeo, and Haas. But that should be sort of interesting to follow. They still suck, but maybe not as much- and some other teams now suck almost as much. I will say Latifi ain’t going to make it to week three if he doesn’t do better. But maybe he’s a pay driver, not sure, I don’t know much about him. But he looks god awful.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2020, 08:24 PM   #214
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
I wouldn’t call it mixing it up with midfield. But I get your point. I think they have progressed in so far as maybe they aren’t dead last. Looks like there will be a battle of the worst. Between Williams, Alpha Romeo, and Haas. But that should be sort of interesting to follow. They still suck, but maybe not as much- and some other teams now suck almost as much. I will say Latifi ain’t going to make it to week three if he doesn’t do better. But maybe he’s a pay driver, not sure, I don’t know much about him. But he looks god awful.
Agreed. At least Williams wasn’t dead last. Hard to say how much of that was improvement on their side vs. Haas and Alfa not doing as well. Same observations on Latifi as well, he looked rough throughout the weekend. I don’t think he’s on the Stroll program though since he’s 25 and spent several years in F2. So glad to have F1 back again!!
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2020, 10:48 PM   #215
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
He's pretty much a pay driver. Both seats at Williams have been open to the highest bidder for a while now. Latifi's father is actually even richer than the Stroll family and, interestingly, invested £200 million in McLaren back in 2018. So he got the seat because he offered the most cash for it.

That being said, he did finish runner up in F2 last year so he does have some skill. And he did start his racing career much later than some of the other guys in F1. But his list of junior formula career achievements isn't as good as Russel's or LeClerc's and he isn't backed by any of the manufacturers in F1 like Russel or Ocon. Here's good short video on Latifi if you want to get an idea who the guy is:

Appreciate 5
fanatic11018.50
yco5722.50
M5Rick58897.50
iamwingman1203.50
      07-05-2020, 10:51 PM   #216
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
That's actually a clip from free practice. There was a much larger group at that spot for today's race
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
      07-05-2020, 11:03 PM   #217
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, I think I agree with this statement to an extent. He's just made too many mistakes over the last three or so years. I think most people would agree that had he not made so many mistakes, Ferrari would most likely have kept him on the team.

Also, anyone who suggests that Ferrari is sabotaging his career/car setup/race strategy/etc for whatever reason is delusional. Established and successful teams are in it for the results, both driver and team. What do they gain by doing so? Literally nothing. Ferrari may not be getting much right these days, but even they aren't that stupid. Vettel may not have liked the setup he was give for the race, but I'd wager to say that was a risk they were willing to take considering how slow they have been.
Appreciate 3
yco5722.50
M5Rick58897.50
      07-05-2020, 11:12 PM   #218
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
He's pretty much a pay driver. Both seats at Williams have been open to the highest bidder for a while now. Latifi's father is actually even richer than the Stroll family and, interestingly, invested £200 million in McLaren back in 2018. So he got the seat because he offered the most cash for it.

That being said, he did finish runner up in F2 last year so he does have some skill. And he did start his racing career much later than some of the other guys in F1. But his list of junior formula career achievements isn't as good as Russel's or LeClerc's and he isn't backed by any of the manufacturers in F1 like Russel or Ocon. Here's good short video on Latifi if you want to get an idea who the guy is:

Interesting, thanks for sharing the link. Nothing wrong with a gentleman driver, even if it’s daddy’s money paving the way. Motorsport will always need them.
Appreciate 3
apexit41230.50
M5Rick58897.50
      07-06-2020, 02:10 AM   #219
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk340i View Post
We differ s lot but I like reading your comments and it shows that you're intelligent and you know what you're talking about. Read the rest of this and watch the video.
Have you ever seen a driver fighting turn-in oversteer and exit oversteer this much on a single lap? Yes I'm a fan and yes he makes mistakes but I don't support him because he wins only. I support him for many reasons. I actually started supporting him in 2014/2015. When he wasn't winning.

https://streamable.com/769gbq

Please watch this and tell me if that's an acceptable car setup. Watch Peter Windsor talk about Leclerc's driving style. He uses the car's tendency to oversteer on entry to rotate the car and the SF1000 is tailored to his taste. Seb likes a pointy car like the RB's he drove and like the SF70 and SF71. The SF1000 is a car that doesn't match his driving style.
He fucked up today. If he was patient he would've gotten a respectable position but that's something I like about him. He's always on the attack although it gets him in a lot of trouble like Hockenheimring 2018.
thank you for your kind words..
yes i ve watched it.. and it actually leads to reason why im not supporting Vettel.. i ll tell what after telling its reasons..

as in the video shows, in 4 corners there are 3 different problems.. even if the Ferrari package is performing the best with such a character like this, first corner exit, that oversteer comes with throttle control.. it can be soften without even changing the setup in the pits without losing time on track to compensate the time loss.. that exit is not that much an aero needy fast corner.. can be done by an earlier but longer throttle trail, opening the on throttle diff to let inside real wheel spin more free, or having a line that exit part is more straight.. and but more importantly did you realize he was touching the inside curb? faster drivers on quali didint even touch that curb.. cause it upsets the balance, and you re missing the oval part of the corner on apex and avoids carrying more speed into corner..

locking up the inside wheel.. if he didnt brake over physical limit that the car needs to stop, straighter braking line, more rear brake bias or closing the diff-coast diff setting.. i dont know if you ve seen Kimi in free practices, in the beginning he was locking both front wheels on braking points.. then he found the sweet spot and didnt do that again.. he adapted according to the given track conditions to minimize such problems.. more importantly.. did you realize Vettel was flicking the car with some steering wheel to the right before braking finishes and afterwards, front inside wheel locks up? it was maybe 2m early to start to corner.. i dont know.. but telemetry data between Leclerc and his knows..

3rd corner problem.. its obvious that car needs a wider line, maybe too much rear brake bias for the corner or needs more an open coast-diff there.. and 4th corner as well.. or just telling mechanics to changing the rear wing angle higher.. its not complicated and can be done under a minute.. sorry but its not excuse for a 4 time WDC.. maybe for a rookie driver needed assistance heavily..

so Vettel doesnt know these? he does.. he knows much more than these that i wrote in few minutes.. he knows how to setup a car, thats what is been talking in paddock over the years.. but the problem he is having after Red Bull days is, lacking the "adaptation" to the needs on track.. thats why we see such problems like when he is side to side with some other car, and he spins.. when the car is over the limit to overtake another car changing the line that it used to need, braking points, less grip on dirty side of the track many things.. thats why going off the track when it started to rain or going slower than others because of this.. adaptation involves a lot different things that varies on the situation.. top-notch drivers adapt to those moments "before" it happens and make it look like its simple..

i told this before but in Red Bull days, blown diffuser was requiring a technique that was artificial to nature of racing.. when you need more aero grip on the rear, you simply give some throttle.. on the limits normally you dont do that.. thats why its unnatural actually.. he adapted it cause, it was highly rewarding.. and he was the only guy going to the tire factory to collaborate with them closer before regs changed.. you dont see anything like this from the day 1 in Ferrari.. its like he left out of cards to put into play..

in my opinion.. top-notch drivers see what is needed before it even happen and adapt the car by its line, speed, braking power, throttle graph, gear, wind, steering wheel input, different grip levels on different parts of the track and million more things by instinct in very short time.. with a simple example.. you cant brake at the same point when you re side to side with someone when you re off the racing line.. cause there is less grip, tighter angle to the corner, maybe different surface angles and many more but top-notch drivers judge all of these in a flash and execute..

please next time watch Hamiltons onboard footage closer.. how he changes the brake bias like for in each corner for example.. take a look if Bottas was doing like that at the beginning of Merc' days or not.. Bottas learnt a lot from Hamilton only by judging braking performance.. remember how Schumi was adjusting the car many times during a lap.. i never been Schumi fan but he was top-notch driver and he was doing those things without compromising his concentration.. im supporting Hamilton not because he just winning.. he is winning because he works really hard on the car and details, on people he works with, he is very good on side by side action, he s not a rich dude as a character, he knows how to squeeze more from his car all the time, knows how to carry more speed into corners etc.. he adapts to the situations and circumstances in a flash.. remember the moments first time he wanted to taken out the rear tire blankets earlier than fronts? people were like wtf.. thats willing to go to unknown and finding solution to the car needs.. how simple its sounds right? or how he saves tires when its needed, or how fast he can go in the rain.. they re all adaptation.. and thats why he is winning..

anyway i guess it was a bit long write sorry but the thing i really dont like about Vettel and causing not to believe in him is the lack of adaptation in recent years.. Senna, Schumi, Hamilton and probably and showing all the signals Leclerc, Max, Norris, Albon are top-notch drivers.. they re driving with their head and heart combined in a flash.. not because they can counter steer fast they know it ll happen before it happens.. its a way different thing and it differentiates top-notch from a fast driver.. wish we could talk about the technical sides of F1 more here, comparing onboards more.. thats the whole hidden part and i love it.. but i have to fight for basic things sometimes here and its not that fun.. anything includes racing, im in.. cheers..

Last edited by yco; 07-06-2020 at 02:46 AM..
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
fanatic11018.50
      07-06-2020, 03:09 AM   #220
M5Rick
General
Rep

We all have our favourites but it needs just one bad unsportsmanlike action from a driver to sink the race to zero.Hamiltons egregious hit on Albon has further lowered my opinion of him and I now consider him a stain on the sport that I love. He has one of the best cars on the scene yet from all his making he turned it all into a drama onto himself when a faster car wanted to get past.
Appreciate 1