New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-16-2021, 08:30 PM   #23
Josh-PA
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 991.2, n55 e88, B58 G05

I get all my coffee online from counter culture
https://counterculturecoffee.com/

For espresso I like big trouble the best. For drip, I enjoy a lot of their single origin sources.
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12792.50
      10-16-2021, 10:22 PM   #24
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
I had a cup of Maxwell House the other day
BAN!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 10:38 PM   #25
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I don’t mean to sound rude, generally speaking and from my experience over there, you guys wouldn’t know a decent coffee if it but you on arse.

Coffee in the States is shocking.

Much the same with what you guys call Beer!
Appreciate 1
bobowar1353479.00
      10-16-2021, 10:46 PM   #26
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3CX

Canned coffee in auto- Chock full o nuts

Thru a drive thru- Dutch Bros.

In the espresso form- Farmer Bros Dark Roast

But I really don't drink a lot of coffee...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 09:57 AM   #27
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
I don’t mean to sound rude, generally speaking and from my experience over there, you guys wouldn’t know a decent coffee if it but you on arse.

Sounds like you are on your arse. Rude, too.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
bobowar1353479.00
      10-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #28
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I can't do weak coffee, just can't. A lot of mainstream drip coffee is like water man.

I use a Breville Espresso machine to make my own, it does a good job for a $700 machine. I use dark Kicking Horse beans and make a flat white.

I see flat white starting to get a foot hold in north america, it's all aussies drink as we find latte's too weak.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4475.50
      10-17-2021, 10:29 AM   #29
Dino GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW

Tim Hortons if I`m on the go, expresso if I`m at the restaurant/bar and whatever instant coffee is in the cabinet when I`m home.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 11:06 AM   #30
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Hint for those who “know coffee” the darker the roast, the less caffeine content thus less strong, aside from flavor.

I loathe starsux fivebux with my entire soul. I’ve a moratorium on giving them one of my earned dollars.

We use a keurig at home for quick hits and I have been ordering this. It’s quite nice as I drink my coffee straight black.

https://store.kauaicoffee.com/kauai-...24-oz-p19.aspx
Appreciate 3
TiMSport12792.50
hubbahubba8773.00
      10-17-2021, 11:25 AM   #31
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Hint for those who “know coffee” the darker the roast, the less caffeine content thus less strong, aside from flavor.

I loathe starsux fivebux with my entire soul. I’ve a moratorium on giving them one of my earned dollars.

We use a keurig at home for quick hits and I have been ordering this. It’s quite nice as I drink my coffee straight black.

This! I learned this when I visited a couple of coffee plantations on the Big Island in Hawaii (which I know you're intimately familiar with). I have a feeling most people don't have any idea about this but yeah, lighter roast coffees contain more caffeine than the darker roasts. What may taste stronger is in fact weaker, ironically.

Now having said that I personally don't like the sweetly flavored coffees like you referenced here, haha. Those 10% blends don't cut it for me either, although I do fully understand 100% Hawaiian beans are hard to come by and if you do get some, it's $$.

My personal fave from Hawaii is the Ka'u variety. As you know, these beans are from the Ka'u region which is the slopes of Mauna Loa.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2021, 11:27 AM   #32
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:

Sorry but this is a stereotype. Believe me, there are plenty of good coffee roasters here in the US. Same can be said about beer. No one has more craft breweries than the US. I think it depends on where you visited but this label is flat out incorrect.
Appreciate 2
3.0L8923.00
hubbahubba8773.00
      10-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #33
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Quote:

This! I learned this when I visited a couple of coffee plantations on the Big Island in Hawaii (which I know you're intimately familiar with). I have a feeling most people don't have any idea about this but yeah, lighter roast coffees contain more caffeine than the darker roasts. What may taste stronger is in fact weaker, ironically.

Now having said that I personally don't like the sweetly flavored coffees like you referenced here, haha. Those 10% blends don't cut it for me either, although I do fully understand 100% Hawaiian beans are hard to come by and if you do get some, it's $$.

My personal fave from Hawaii is the Ka'u variety. As you know, these beans are from the Ka'u region which is the slopes of Mauna Loa.
100% man! Hawaii coffee is unreal and yeah, 10% just happens to be how it comes, wish it were higher.

Have you tried this specific blend? I don't find it sweet at all, it's very much just a hint. They have a few "flavors" and this may have the most flavor of all. I alternate between this and a standard medium roast but thought I'd introduce one of my staples.

Also love green mountain and find it underrated.
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12792.50
      10-17-2021, 12:01 PM   #34
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
100% man! Hawaii coffee is unreal and yeah, 10% just happens to be how it comes, wish it were higher.

Have you tried this specific blend? I don't find it sweet at all, it's very much just a hint. They have a few "flavors" and this may have the most flavor of all. I alternate between this and a standard medium roast but thought I'd introduce one of my staples.

Also love green mountain and find it underrated.
Admittedly I have not tried that blend. Maybe I'll give it a try.

As for Green Mountain, they're a roaster, right? I think they roast a lot of the Keurig K-cup coffees sort of like an OEM but different brands put their name on it. I have seen the Green Mountain blends however but don't remember if I've actually tried them. I think my Audi dealer has them in the waiting area.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 12:13 PM   #35
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Admittedly I have not tried that blend. Maybe I'll give it a try.

As for Green Mountain, they're a roaster, right? I think they roast a lot of the Keurig K-cup coffees sort of like an OEM but different brands put their name on it. I have seen the Green Mountain blends however but don't remember if I've actually tried them. I think my Audi dealer has them in the waiting area.
Maybe you won’t like it, guess time will tell! That’s why I appreciate it, inexpensive and readily available so even if you don’t like it you’re only out $6-10..

As for green mountain, I just look at it as the best (to me) of the everyday type coffees. Nothing you brag about. Folgers, maxwell house, Safeway blend etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 12:42 PM   #36
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you won’t like it, guess time will tell! That’s why I appreciate it, inexpensive and readily available so even if you don’t like it you’re only out $6-10..

As for green mountain, I just look at it as the best (to me) of the everyday type coffees. Nothing you brag about. Folgers, maxwell house, Safeway blend etc.
I hear ya. I like Lavazza branded coffees. They're not the cheapest but I can find them on a BOGO deal sometimes at the local supermarket (Publix). I'll load up on it then. That ends up being only around $6 a bag.
Appreciate 3
Tommy-G4475.50
King Rudi13154.00
      10-17-2021, 08:00 PM   #37
barryc365
Major
Rep

Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
I don't mean to sound rude, generally speaking and from my experience over there, you guys wouldn't know a decent coffee if it but you on arse.

It sounds like you haven't been to the states in 20 years. There is 3rd wave coffee shops in pretty much every town and craft breweries and brew pubs everywhere. I'm not American but have lived here 8 years and lived in Europe all my life before that and the standard of coffee here is now better than most of Europe in my view if you know where to look

I get mine from Moustache Coffee co. Always interesting blends and single origins being roasted each week
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
hubbahubba8773.00
TiMSport12792.50
Mein11422.00
      10-17-2021, 08:04 PM   #38
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah the US is getting better than it was before starbucks arrived. I think the shock for aussies was the proliferation of piss weak drip coffee whereas as we basically drink european style pressed. Our coffee of choice is also a flat white, a quite strong style, double shot.

Things are better her now, cafe down the street from me does a flat white for example whereas when i got here 15 years ago i literally had to walk them through how to make one.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 08:18 PM   #39
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

If you don't drink coffee made from Indonesian civet shit then GTFO…

Just kidding, blue bottle is pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:30 AM   #40
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I can't do weak coffee, just can't. A lot of mainstream drip coffee is like water man.

I use a Breville Espresso machine to make my own, it does a good job for a $700 machine. I use dark Kicking Horse beans and make a flat white.

I see flat white starting to get a foot hold in north america, it's all aussies drink as we find latte's too weak.
Weak coffee is worse than no coffee.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 10:21 AM   #41
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Yeah the US is getting better than it was before starbucks arrived. I think the shock for aussies was the proliferation of piss weak drip coffee whereas as we basically drink european style pressed. Our coffee of choice is also a flat white, a quite strong style, double shot.

Things are better her now, cafe down the street from me does a flat white for example whereas when i got here 15 years ago i literally had to walk them through how to make one.
We go for quantity here over quality. If you cant get a 24oz cup then it wont fly.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 11:02 AM   #42
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

The Breville is a decent machine, not bullet proof, both the pump and grinder could be a lot better but the next step up is about $3K vs $700. If you get it right, it makes a very decent shot.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 11:13 AM   #43
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Actual brand of coffee is of no importance. I make it strong enough to where I second guess my second cup as I'm usually vibrating uncontrollably before I finish the first. What's important to me is what I mi with it. These days, I mix my protein with my coffee. Salted Caramel GNC Wheybolic is amazing in black coffee. No creamer, no sugar, two scoops of whey, mixed with a little water, then add black coffee; perfection! 48g of protein and caffeine.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #44
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Actual brand of coffee is of no importance. I make it strong enough to where I second guess my second cup as I'm usually vibrating uncontrollably before I finish the first. What's important to me is what I mi with it. These days, I mix my protein with my coffee. Salted Caramel GNC Wheybolic is amazing in black coffee. No creamer, no sugar, two scoops of whey, mixed with a little water, then add black coffee; perfection! 48g of protein and caffeine.
BANNED. Jesus H.
Appreciate 2