New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

06-14-2021, 10:27 AM   #1
Obather12
Registered
Rep

Drives: E39 540

2001 E39 Stereo Upgrade

I have a pretty good Dsp premium hifi system that just needed more bass. I was ill-advised by a reputable vendor that an alpine ilx650 and kicker sub would be compatible and they weren't. Does anyone know of a proven way around this? I'm trying to prevent a complete system gut.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
Tim603
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Do you have iDrive?

If not, you have the option to upgrade your head unit, however you would have to buy the following: double din dash kit, wiring harness, alpine head unit, 6 channel amp, sub amp, kicker sub, amp bypass harness. (basically you have to bypass the oem speaker amp since the MOST system uses optical)

If yes, your best bet would be to just run a high-low pass converter for a subwoofer and not try to upgrade the head unit. You would have to buy the following: High/Low Pass converter, sub amp, kicker sub (this option can also be used in lieu of the above suggestion, it is less money/complex)
      06-14-2021, 01:29 PM   #3
430Scud
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M550iX,430 Scud,E39 540Msport

Expensive, but I did the M-Audio subs like 15 years ago and never looked back. OEM fit, and wiring them up was simple. They work perfectly with the DSP system (were oem in the M5 with DSP) and are 10" dual voice coils, they pound out the bass. Maybe you can find a working set on Ebay?

Google search will give you all the relevant threads with part numbers and installation tips.

This video has the basic info. These are the early version of the subs. I have the later version that is a tiny bit shallower, and has small magnets on the bottom of the speaker that mate up with the ski pass through door, so when the door is open, it is held open by the magnets. Kinda slick.

Even if you found used M-Audio subs that are blown, with bad surrounds or damaged cones, you could have them reconed by a speaker shop for $50 each. So don't be afraid of buying damaged or worn out ones. That could end up being a huge savings

Last edited by 430Scud; 06-15-2021 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 06:45 AM   #4
E1ementary
Rep

Drives: Bmw e39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 430Scud View Post
Expensive, but I did the M-Audio subs like 15 years ago and never looked back. OEM fit, and wiring them up was simple. They work perfectly with the DSP system (were oem in the M5 with DSP) and are 10" dual voice coils, they pound out the bass. Maybe you can find a working set on Ebay?

Google search will give you all the relevant threads with part numbers and installation tips.

This video has the basic info. These are the early version of the subs. I have the later version that is a tiny bit shallower, and has small magnets on the bottom of the speaker that mate up with the ski pass through door, so when the door is open, it is held open by the magnets. Kinda slick.

Even if you found used M-Audio subs that are blown, with bad surrounds or damaged cones, you could have them reconed by a speaker shop for $50 each. So don't be afraid of buying damaged or worn out ones. That could end up being a huge savings
You have changed only subwoofers?
I mean you haven't changed amplifier?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 09:01 AM   #5
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 BMW 750xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obather12 View Post
I have a pretty good Dsp premium hifi system that just needed more bass. I was ill-advised by a reputable vendor that an alpine ilx650 and kicker sub would be compatible and they weren't. Does anyone know of a proven way around this? I'm trying to prevent a complete system gut.
I was told yesterday at a car audio shop that to replace the head unit of the e39 with DSP there is only one option if you want "professional" quality and that is full rewire. HOWEVER, there are some brands out there that I have heard are plug and play like Dynavin and folks have posted good results.

Therefore, I think you could do BavSound speakers and the Dynavin head unit and not have to rewire. If you want a fancy deck like Alpine, Sony, etc…they are not compatible the the DSP wiring and amp.

I just bought a Grom Audio trunk unit to add Bluetooth functionality. It retains stock look (I have '01 without Nav) but allows full control with built in steering and radio buttons. We will see how it turns out. Theoretically you could add that and do BavSound for DSP and have upgraded speakers with Bluetooth functionality.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 01:49 PM   #6
E1ementary
Rep

Drives: Bmw e39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggefreshvt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obather12 View Post
I was told yesterday at a car audio shop that to replace the head unit of the e39 with DSP there is only one option if you want "professional" quality and that is full rewire. HOWEVER, there are some brands out there that I have heard are plug and play like Dynavin and folks have posted good results.

Therefore, I think you could do BavSound speakers and the Dynavin head unit and not have to rewire. If you want a fancy deck like Alpine, Sony, etc…they are not compatible the the DSP wiring and amp.

I just bought a Grom Audio trunk unit to add Bluetooth functionality. It retains stock look (I have '01 without Nav) but allows full control with built in steering and radio buttons. We will see how it turns out. Theoretically you could add that and do BavSound for DSP and have upgraded speakers with Bluetooth functionality.
I added BT and usb and I can change between bt/usb with button on the board monitor.
I made it by myself)
I'm in process now, soon I'll make printed circuit board and it will be looked beautiful
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 09:09 PM   #7
430Scud
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M550iX,430 Scud,E39 540Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E1ementary View Post
You have changed only subwoofers?
I mean you haven't changed amplifier?
I did not change the amplifier, there is no need. The M-Audio subs are designed to work with the factory DSP amplifier. They play very loud and pound out the bass.
I am also using the Bavsound eight speaker upgrade kit, and the Bluebus bluetooth adapter for music streaming and phone

https://www.bluebus.dev/

https://www.bavsound.com/products/st...39-sedan-wagon

Last edited by 430Scud; 09-22-2021 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0