New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-19-2023, 07:14 AM   #7723
cmyx6go
Colonel
cmyx6go's Avatar
15234
Rep
2,024
Posts

 
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
If the white car makes a left in front of the brown car and as a result of that collision only the brown car hits my parked truck with just over 2000 miles and only two payments made, do I go after white or brown insurance?

White car doesnít seem to be a listed driver on insurance. Brown car is unlicensed

Yeah, thatís why I have uninsured coverage
That sucks.
__________________
I thought I was a good person but the way I react when people drive slowly in the left lane would suggest otherwise
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17386.50
      05-19-2023, 10:50 AM   #7724
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
vreihen16's Avatar
Ukraine
13565
Rep
914
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Were any tickets issued? Who did the police report say was at fault, if anybody?

If the damage is under $10K, I vote that you take it to "Judy Justice." I believe that the show still pays all judgements, and a lot of her cases are about uninsured motorists or unlicensed drivers. Funny to watch her yell at defendants because "their insurance just lapsed the day of the accident" or they deny giving an unauthorized driver permission to drive their car.

My best suggestion to everyone is to max out your uninsured motorist coverage, since it pays YOU for damages caused by these negligent vehicle owners.....
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 28K miles
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 11:08 AM   #7725
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
24007
Rep
22,017
Posts

 
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ..in your rearview!!!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
If the white car makes a left in front of the brown car and as a result of that collision only the brown car hits my parked truck with just over 2000 miles and only two payments made, do I go after white or brown insurance?

White car doesn’t seem to be a listed driver on insurance. Brown car is unlicensed

Yeah, that’s why I have uninsured coverage
You would go after the insurance coverage of the brown car. While the actions of the operator of the white car predicated the collision between the brown car and your parked/unoccupied vehicle, the operator of the brown car collided into your truck. The driver/operator of the white car was just an associated factor in the crash. Being unlicensed won’t affect your insurance company’s ability to ascertain coverage (…assuming the driver/operator of the brown car had full coverage).
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 06:59 PM   #7726
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
957
Rep
130
Posts

 
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Riding the high seas of your emotions

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
If the white car makes a left in front of the brown car and as a result of that collision only the brown car hits my parked truck with just over 2000 miles and only two payments made, do I go after white or brown insurance?

White car doesnít seem to be a listed driver on insurance. Brown car is unlicensed

Yeah, thatís why I have uninsured coverage
Sorry, just back it up a second so I understand.

You got hit by a driver who is unlicensed - does that mean uninsured? And the other driver isn't on the insurance, so presumably you can't go after him.

And there are no consequences? Nobody goes to jail? The other parties just look at you and say "Well...that's too bad, guess you are SOL"? No consequences at all?

So you have to pay extra for insurance to cover the actions of other people who then don't reap any repurcussions for their actions?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 07:52 PM   #7727
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
24007
Rep
22,017
Posts

 
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ..in your rearview!!!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Sorry, just back it up a second so I understand.

You got hit by a driver who is unlicensed - does that mean uninsured? And the other driver isn't on the insurance, so presumably you can't go after him.

And there are no consequences? Nobody goes to jail? The other parties just look at you and say "Well...that's too bad, guess you are SOL"? No consequences at all?

So you have to pay extra for insurance to cover the actions of other people who then don't reap any repurcussions for their actions?
Unlicensed and uninsured are two different things. Just because a driver isnít on the insurance doesnít mean you canít go after the policy.

As for the consequences, California reduced driving unlicensed to simply an infraction rather than a misdemeanor as of January 1st, 2023. Even before that it wouldnít have resulted in jail time. You see a reduction in consequences everywhere, not just California. Blue cities/states are considering making current crimes such as car jacking no longer a crime. We live in a clown world.
Appreciate 6
      05-19-2023, 08:28 PM   #7728
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
vreihen16's Avatar
Ukraine
13565
Rep
914
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Welcome to 2023, where most accidents are written as no-fault (max out your no-fault and PIP coverage as well!), people are not held accountable for their negligent actions, and insurance companies refuse to pay out if their insured's vehicle was being driven by an unlicensed or suspended driver.....
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 28K miles
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24006.50
      05-19-2023, 09:47 PM   #7729
dradernh
Brigadier General
dradernh's Avatar
3937
Rep
3,431
Posts

 
Drives: 2017 M240i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Just because a driver isnít on the insurance doesnít mean you canít go after the policy.
^ This.

My brother was hit and killed by a drunk driver while crossing a street in Colorado.

The driver wasn't on the vehicle's policy, and the insurance company sent a $100K check out the following week. I've assumed either Lakewood PD or the owner had notified the insurer, it reviewed the police report of the incident, and the check was cut the next day. I was grateful I didn't have to fool with that on top of everything else that had to be handled.

FWIW, the driver blew .32 five hours after being taken-in. One of my brother's friends was an ER RN, and I asked her how such a circumstance was possible. I guess ER professionals see just about everything, as she replied with something along the lines of: "We regularly see people who are beyond blind drunk, yet they're still capable of navigating the world Ė up until the point where they're not."
__________________
2017 M240i: 22.2K, MT, Sunroof Delete, 3,432#, EB, Leather, Driving Assistance Package, Heated Front Seats | Sold: E12 530i, E24 M635CSi, E39 520i, E30 325is, E36 M3 (2)
TC Kline Coilovers; H&R Front Bar; Wavetrac; Al Subframe Bushings; 18X9/9Ĺ ARC-8s; 255/35-18 PS4S (4); Dinan Elite V2 & CAI; MPerf Orange BBK; Schroth Quick Fit Pro;
GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra Ceramic; Suntek PPF
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24006.50
vreihen1613565.00
Esteban37539.50
      05-20-2023, 01:09 AM   #7730
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
24007
Rep
22,017
Posts

 
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ..in your rearview!!!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
^ This.

My brother was hit and killed by a drunk driver while crossing a street in Colorado.

The driver wasn't on the vehicle's policy, and the insurance company sent a $100K check out the following week. I've assumed either Lakewood PD or the owner had notified the insurer, it reviewed the police report of the incident, and the check was cut the next day. I was grateful I didn't have to fool with that on top of everything else that had to be handled.

FWIW, the driver blew .32 five hours after being taken-in. One of my brother's friends was an ER RN, and I asked her how such a circumstance was possible. I guess ER professionals see just about everything, as she replied with something along the lines of: "We regularly see people who are beyond blind drunk, yet they're still capable of navigating the world Ė up until the point where they're not."

Iím sorry to hear about your brother. My condolences!

I, too, have seen people with crazy high BACís and wondered how/why they werenít dead from alcohol poisoning.
Appreciate 4
dradernh3936.50
vreihen1613565.00
      05-20-2023, 03:10 AM   #7731
Esteban
Major General
Esteban's Avatar
United_States
37540
Rep
7,221
Posts

 
Drives: a slow car fast
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

I just don't understand drinking and driving. I would never get behind the wheel, even drinking just a little bit. I want 100% of my senses and abilities when I drive. Even then you never know what might happen. No reason at all to take chances with your life or someone else's.

PS - oh, and I like to drink.
__________________
Appreciate 6
Buug95915366.00
dradernh3936.50
fraschusa183.50
      05-20-2023, 01:10 PM   #7732
ezaircon4jc
Major General
ezaircon4jc's Avatar
United_States
3593
Rep
5,077
Posts

 
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I just don't understand drinking and driving. I would never get behind the wheel, even drinking just a little bit. I want 100% of my senses and abilities when I drive. Even then you never know what might happen. No reason at all to take chances with your life or someone else's.

PS - oh, and I like to drink.
A friend explained to me the progression of drunkenness. He told me there is a point where one goes from "I shouldn't/can't drive" to "I'm invincible!" I've not been in that position, but he has in a past life. The way he explained it to me was something I couldn't really understand.
Appreciate 2
      05-20-2023, 03:24 PM   #7733
Esteban
Major General
Esteban's Avatar
United_States
37540
Rep
7,221
Posts

 
Drives: a slow car fast
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

I meant to saydradernh, sorry about your brother.
__________________
Appreciate 1
dradernh3936.50
      05-20-2023, 04:41 PM   #7734
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
vreihen16's Avatar
Ukraine
13565
Rep
914
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I, too, have seen people with crazy high BACís and wondered how/why they werenít dead from alcohol poisoning.
My theory is that they have become gradually acclimated to the higher BAC levels over the years.....
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 28K miles
Appreciate 3
      05-20-2023, 09:46 PM   #7735
ezaircon4jc
Major General
ezaircon4jc's Avatar
United_States
3593
Rep
5,077
Posts

 
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
My theory is that they have become gradually acclimated to the higher BAC levels over the years.....
The term "functioning alcoholic" comes to mind...
Appreciate 3
      05-20-2023, 10:06 PM   #7736
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
vreihen16's Avatar
Ukraine
13565
Rep
914
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
The term "functioning alcoholic" comes to mind...
Is that the rum talking?!?!?
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 28K miles
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2023, 11:25 PM   #7737
ezaircon4jc
Major General
ezaircon4jc's Avatar
United_States
3593
Rep
5,077
Posts

 
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Is that the rum talking?!?!?
Naw, the only "drinking" I do is a glass of red at dinner for my heart. Seems to be working as the Dr who did my double CABG said my heart was just fine. I did enjoy rum, but my type 2 makes those days over.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 11:00 AM   #7738
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
vreihen16's Avatar
Ukraine
13565
Rep
914
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I don't drink at all, and the toast at our wedding was sparkling apple juice.....
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 28K miles
Appreciate 2
M5Rick54663.50
      05-22-2023, 10:49 PM   #7739
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
24007
Rep
22,017
Posts

 
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ..in your rearview!!!

iTrader: (26)

Well damn!

Appreciate 2
vreihen1613565.00
      05-22-2023, 11:43 PM   #7740
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
17387
Rep
9,350
Posts

 
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Karma is a 3-yo bitch!!!
__________________
I have romped on her and I giggled like a drunk infant the entire time. - Sedan_Clan
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24006.50
Buug95915366.00
      05-31-2023, 09:42 PM   #7741
floridaorange
Colonel
floridaorange's Avatar
United_States
9054
Rep
2,625
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: orlando, fl

iTrader: (1)

Ever see this happen before?

__________________
Stage 2 BM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 08:19 AM   #7742
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Murf the Surf's Avatar
16559
Rep
475
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Dog Lake, South Frontenac, Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Ever see this happen before?

This video is making the rounds. Pretty wild. I have to wonder if the driver was rubber necking at the accident on the opposite side of the highway or maybe had their face in their phone. It's not uncommon to see people run into vehicles that are involved in an accident or the vehicles stopped because of the accident, police cars, ambulances and firetrucks get hit quite often. You'll often see firetrucks set up to block traffic and protect the folks working on the existing accident. That was quite a spectacular example though.
Appreciate 2
Buug95915366.00
      06-01-2023, 09:59 AM   #7743
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
2476
Rep
1,645
Posts

 
Drives: F22 B58 6MT
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

This video is popping up everywhere now. Looks like everyone involved dropped the ball.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 10:09 AM   #7744
cmyx6go
Colonel
cmyx6go's Avatar
15234
Rep
2,024
Posts

 
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
This video is making the rounds. Pretty wild. I have to wonder if the driver was rubber necking at the accident on the opposite side of the highway or maybe had their face in their phone. It's not uncommon to see people run into vehicles that are involved in an accident or the vehicles stopped because of the accident, police cars, ambulances and firetrucks get hit quite often. You'll often see firetrucks set up to block traffic and protect the folks working on the existing accident. That was quite a spectacular example though.
That's what I asked in the other thread. I can't tell if the flatbed was in the left lane or on the shoulder. Either way, the norm is for a police vehicle to be behind with lights blazing. Again, she is to blame, probably had her face in her phone.
__________________
I thought I was a good person but the way I react when people drive slowly in the left lane would suggest otherwise
Appreciate 4
vreihen1613565.00
Buug95915366.00
BMWGUYinCO3823.50
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST