New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

09-23-2022, 12:03 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3

BMW M Hybrid V8 unveiled in race livery and gets IMSA drivers lineup

BIMMERPOST NEWS
World Premiere in Los Angeles: BMW M Motorsport unveils the BMW M Hybrid V8 in its race livery and announces 2023 IMSA Season drivers.
COMMENTS
Name:  Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 10.04.14 PM.jpg
Views: 3808
Size:  491.4 KB

• BMW M Motorsport reveals its LMDh contender with a World Premiere event at the Petersen Museum in Los Angeles.
• BMW M Hybrid V8 receives a futuristic design in BMW M colors for IMSA GTP.
•Connor De Phillippi, Philipp Eng, Augusto Farfus and Nick Yelloly are core drivers, Colton Herta joins for Daytona.

Los Angeles CA - September 22, 2022… The BMW M Hybrid V8 has arrived in North America and was presented to the public in its racing colors for the first time at a launch event at the Petersen Museum in Los Angeles (USA). The first prototype developed by BMW M Motorsport in 25 years, will sport an avant-garde livery which leverages the iconic BMW M colors when it competes in the GTP class of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship in 2023. The four core drivers who will take their place at the wheel of the two BMW M Team RLL cars were also announced at the Petersen Museum. They are BMW M works drivers Connor De Phillippi (USA), Philipp Eng (AUT), Augusto Farfus (BRA) and Nick Yelloly (GBR). When the car makes its race debut at the 61st running of the Rolex 24 At Daytona (USA) on January 28-29, they will receive big-name support from the IndyCar series driver Colton Herta (USA).

Guests at the event in Los Angeles included BMW M CEO Franciscus van Meel, Head of BMW M Motorsport Andreas Roos, IMSA President John Doonan, and the owners of BMW M Team RLL, Bobby Rahal, David Letterman and Patrick Lanigan.

Franciscus van Meel said: “We are proud that, parallel to the 50th birthday of BMW M, we are returning to the big motorsport stage with the BMW M Hybrid V8. We are delighted that this adventure begins in North America, the most important international market for BMW M GmbH. After all, the BMW M Hybrid V8 is more than just a race car, it is paving the way for an electric future for BMW M, by emphatically demonstrating how dynamic and emotional electrified M Power can be.”

Andreas Roos: “Being back in the top class of motorsport and battling for overall victories at such legendary races as Daytona, Sebring and Road Atlanta in 2023 is both a major challenge and huge motivation for everyone at BMW M Motorsport. We have worked very hard in recent months to get the BMW M Hybrid V8 ready for racing in a short time. Thank you to all our partners at Dallara, BMW M Team RLL, our development team RMG, and BMW Group Designworks for the fantastic support with assembling, developing and testing the car. The BMW M Hybrid V8 is a beautiful race car. It is now our job to make it fast. We are working towards achieving this goal day by day and are confident that we will be ready in January when we really get down to business for the first time at Daytona.”

BMW M Team RLL Principal Bobby Rahal said: “There is no doubt that we understand and appreciate the level of commitment and dedication it will take on the part of RLL to be successful in this new venture. BMW M Motorsport is providing us with a great car, great engine and great driver lineup, of which we are very pleased. We understand the scope of the challenge in front of us and look forward to meeting it head on. As has been the case before, the level of cooperation and teamwork has been tremendous. Being in on the ground floor certainly gives our personnel good insight into the car from the beginning. I’ve learned long ago that you temper your expectations. Yes, you have hopes and you know you will be ultimately successful, but, as with any new car program, there are unforeseen circumstances that can work in your favor or work against you. For RLL, it’s a matter of being prepared for either.”

The BMW M Hybrid V8 has begun its extensive testing schedule in the U.S.A. earlier this week with a test at Sebring International Raceway. The test car will also be on public display at the upcoming Petit Le Mans IMSA season finale.

Two topics were in the spotlight at the Petersen Museum reveal: The world premiere of the design and racing livery of the BMW M Hybrid V8 and the presentation of the four core drivers and one of the additional drivers for the endurance races.

Design and Race Livery of the BMW M Hybrid V8
Like the camouflage livery adorning the BMW M Hybrid V8 during the testing phase, the design of the livery for the 2023 racing season also comes from BMW Group Designworks under the program leadership of Michael Scully, Global Director, Automotive and Advanced Design. The works livery represents a significant departure from the heritage-based “Icons of IMSA” camouflage with a future-facing coat of arms comprised of modern, bold, fractal blocks of the iconic M colors and the M logo. “These elements have been deconstructed to form what at first might appear to be an abstract triangular pattern across the BMW M Hybrid V8, but when viewed from the side, the M logo clicks right into place. – M reconstructed, if you will.” Scully explained.

The design also features “Mbedded” references to the BMW logo, and utilizes both blue and purple elements to pronounce the natural colors of electricity. Additionally, the works livery carries BMW M Motorsport’s now-signature matte black extension ahead of the cockpit beneath the driver’s side of the windscreen; thereby extending BMW’s interior design hallmark of driver orientation to the exterior of the car for enhanced driver focus. In fact, on the race-ready cars this non-reflective matt element will be the only black foil on the car, as all other black areas shown at the launch will remain in their native carbon fiber finish. “This measure allows us to reduce weight by 25 to 30 percent compared to a conventional livery for race cars. Less is more.” said Scully.

The debut of the BMW M Hybrid V8’s works livery also gives the first chance to see the car’s surfaces in un-camouflaged guise and to identify aspects of the design, which may have been previously obscured. The layout of the laser-lit kidneys coincides with the open, flow-through architecture of a modern prototype race car, and the air which passes beneath and through them is fundamental to the aerodynamic performance of the car; both in terms of cooling, but also for efficiency of downforce. The front of the car invokes the faceted hood, nested BMW logo, and inverted ‘Y’ configuration between the kidneys of the BMW M Vision Next and is a great example of BMW’s showcars informing not only the production cars, but also the race cars. These elements, flanked by signature twin headlights on each side, make the front of the car unmistakably a BMW.

The kidneys’ lighting uses an exciting new technology: Innovative Swiss company L.E.S.S. SA has developed a new approach as an alternative to LED lighting where light is generated by a nano-active optical fiber trigged by a laser. This provides ultra-bright and ultra-uniform light within a very small form factor such that it considerably saves weight and energy when embedded onto a car. This technology was also presented as a future vision for the first time in the BMW M Vision Next in 2019.

Transitioning around the side of the car, other BMW icons become apparent; the forward-leaning shark nose, the boomerang-shaped guide vane just behind the front wheel arch that recalls the BMW M4’s air breather design, the M mirrors and a modern interpretation of the Hofmeister kink. The sidepod carries a defined diagonal feature line which punctuates the radiused surface above it and at the same time also helps define the requisite front diffuser airflow exit. “A perfect example of the interdependence between BMW design DNA and dedicated efficiency which makes racing projects like this so engaging.” said Scully.

Drivers
The four core drivers for the 2023 IMSA Season are Connor De Phillippi, Philipp Eng, Augusto Farfus and Nick Yelloly. They will drive the two BMW M Hybrid V8s, with start numbers 24 and 25, at all of the season’s races. De Phillippi and Yelloly will form one pairing, with Eng and Farfus teaming up in the other. They will receive support at the four IMSA endurance races at Daytona, Sebring, Watkins Glen and Road Atlanta (all USA). One man who will be involved in the 24 Hours of Daytona is IndyCar driver Colton Herta. He is one of the stars of the American racing scene and celebrated victory at Daytona together with BMW M Team RLL in 2019 – with the BMW M8 GTE in the GTLM class. The remaining endurance drivers will be announced at a later date.

De Phillippi: “Since the GTP project was announced, it has been a dream of mine to be part of the program. I know we are all eager to deliver championship results for BMW at the top level of IMSA competition.”

Eng: “It is an honour for me to have been given this unique opportunity. I am really looking forward to the challenge and am grateful to BMW M Motorsport for the trust they have put in me. I will never forget my first laps in the BMW M Hybrid V8. It is a thoroughbred race car with a huge amount of performance and power. It reminds me of the Class 1 cars in the DTM. It will be great fun to drive it at the IMSA racetracks.”

Yelloly: “After my first outings at Daytona and Sebring, it is fantastic to now contest the full season in North America – and in this awesome car. For me, it is a return to my roots with high-downforce race cars. I am really looking forward to it.”

Farfus: “To represent BMW M Motorsport again at the top level, and to be involved in the start of this new era of motorsport, is a unique opportunity and a great honour for me. This exciting project is one of the highlights of my career. The opposition is very strong and we will learn a lot in our first year. However, I think we have everything in place to achieve good results from the start. We are definitely working hard to make that possible.”

BMW M Motorsport unveils BMW M Hybrid V8 in race livery

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 11
Mani5913297.00
phefner366.00
RockinPA4848.00
AlexL4.50
Dr.Deep1827.00
Alonso085249.00
fxcw8544.00
M5Rick58879.50
M3 boi3211.00
NYG10571.50
      09-23-2022, 09:11 AM   #2
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
This thing would make Batman green with envy

Symphony of BMW brilliance

Simply stunning; now show us how it'll rip asphalt off the track in its wake

RockinPA4848.00
Joachim317.50
M5Rick58879.50
      09-23-2022, 09:18 AM   #3
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
Absolutely amazing looking!! I'm going to have to go see this beauty in person.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58879.50
      09-23-2022, 09:31 AM   #4
AlexL
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 F10 550i

Hope it runs as great as it looks!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 09:35 AM   #5
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Looks absolutely badass, hope it's a winner too.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 09:40 AM   #6
_E90S65_
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2021 M340i

At the M Track Day in Sonoma back in May,
Connor De Phillippi took attendees out for hot laps in a G80 Comp.

It was awesome. The dude is surgical.
2011.5 E90 M3 Silverstone / Black (gone)
Appreciate 2
      09-23-2022, 10:48 AM   #7
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Drives: BMW M2C , DATSUN 260z, Porche

When can I get a die cast model of this car !
Appreciate 3
M3 boi3211.00
_E90S65_736.00
M5Rick58879.50
      09-23-2022, 11:20 AM   #8
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...very-revealed/
4.0-liter V-8 features a redline of 8200 rpm and delivers up to 640 horsepower. It’s mated to an IMSA-specified hybrid system, while a separator clutch between the two engines allows for electric-only driving at pit speeds.
Can I just have that hybrid V8 in the next gen M4? Thanks...

edit - imagine being able to tool around your neighborhood at 35 mph or less in electric mode so you don't piss your neighbors off...and then let 'er rip once you hit the highway. I'd even settle for just 25 mph + reverse electric only mode.

I doubt we'll see anything like it in the M4 though. M8 maybe, M5 maybe, M4 doubt.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #9
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Can I just have that hybrid V8 in the next gen M4? Thanks...

edit - imagine being able to tool around your neighborhood at 35 mph or less in electric mode so you don't piss your neighbors off...and then let 'er rip once you hit the highway. I'd even settle for just 25 mph + reverse electric only mode.

I doubt we'll see anything like it in the M4 though. M8 maybe, M5 maybe, M4 doubt.
Well the new XM will incorporate a V8 hybrid powertrain, which I'm sure will trickle down to the next M5/M8. I'm really hoping BMW finds a way to retain an inline-six hybrid (even if a smaller displacement) in the next M3/M4, with a closer eye on weight gain than Mercedes was able to do with its new AMG C63. But I fear they're going to switch to an EV-only architecture (especially given the prototype they teased not long ago).
      09-23-2022, 12:50 PM   #10
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Travelling without moving…
That's how a race car should look, next level design especially the M logo 🖤🚀
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 2
M3 boi3211.00
      09-23-2022, 01:01 PM   #11
mookie45
Major
Rep

Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

Can't wait to see it at the Rolex next year!
      09-23-2022, 02:54 PM   #12
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Well the new XM will incorporate a V8 hybrid powertrain, which I'm sure will trickle down to the next M5/M8. I'm really hoping BMW finds a way to retain an inline-six hybrid (even if a smaller displacement) in the next M3/M4, with a closer eye on weight gain than Mercedes was able to do with its new AMG C63. But I fear they're going to switch to an EV-only architecture (especially given the prototype they teased not long ago).
The battery pack size in the XM is 25kwh. That alone will be an additional 400-450lbs. Then add in the weight of electric motor between the ICE and ZF gearbox. All other additional battery cooling, cables, ecu's, etc. The next gen M5 is going to be hefty, no way around it. The XM is going to come in around 6,000lbs according to bmwblog. The new C63E drops the heavy 8cylinder for the turbo 4cylinder, only has a small 6kwh battery and a EDU...it weighs mid-4000lbs. Cars are going to get much heavier for the foreseeable future, until battery tech improves.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2022, 04:36 PM   #13
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel75 View Post
When I rent a car, I always choose a BMW. By the way, here: https://14cars.com/car-rental/usa-fo...-fll-fl-luxury you can find any cars for every taste.
Eh?
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 2
M3 boi3211.00
M5Rick58879.50
      09-23-2022, 06:33 PM   #14
E63M6_G42M240i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2024 TR G80 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
The battery pack size in the XM is 25kwh. That alone will be an additional 400-450lbs. Then add in the weight of electric motor between the ICE and ZF gearbox. All other additional battery cooling, cables, ecu's, etc. The next gen M5 is going to be hefty, no way around it. The XM is going to come in around 6,000lbs according to bmwblog. The new C63E drops the heavy 8cylinder for the turbo 4cylinder, only has a small 6kwh battery and a EDU...it weighs mid-4000lbs. Cars are going to get much heavier for the foreseeable future, until battery tech improves.
Forget about all those EXCESS batteries and use an MGU-K and MGU-H with turbochargers in a hybrid ICE EV system. Batteries are a terribly inefficient (energy per kg) way to store energy. The less needed, the better.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58879.50
      09-24-2022, 07:02 AM   #15
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

And just when you think the grille couldn't get any bigger…
Appreciate 2
10"4946.00
M5Rick58879.50
      09-24-2022, 04:29 PM   #16
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep

Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

This car was on display at 12 hours of Nürburgring race 3 weeks ago, though it might have been a 'dummy'. (As all windows were painted black).
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58879.50
      09-25-2022, 08:23 AM   #17
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drives: orange BMW 1M.

I didn't realize a giant grille could race!
      09-25-2022, 08:38 AM   #18
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Been taking a closer look at the GT racer, that M insignia on the fin has a striking impact, the cockpit looks a tight fit for the driver reduced in width to the minimum.Be interesting seing how the door opens to let the driver in.
Appreciate 2
M3 boi3211.00
      09-26-2022, 12:56 AM   #19
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
This car was on display at 12 hours of Nürburgring race 3 weeks ago, though it might have been a 'dummy'. (As all windows were painted black).
It was still there this weekend, alongside an M4 CSL, M3 Touring and new 7er something or other.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-28-2022, 03:28 AM   #20
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep

Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

^^
Don't recognise that location. It was in the main Ring*Boulevard hall when I was there.

And back then it was next to the M4 CSL and M3 Touring.

'1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung • 1 von 12 • SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL •

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 10:23 AM   #21
simontibbett
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW

Saw it at the Ring when I was there for the 12H. Then got to see it in action on Tuesday here at Road Atlanta. Absolutely gorgeous car! Definitely my favorite of the new era prototypes.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2023, 07:13 PM   #22
Racerx11
Rep

Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2016 X5  [0.00]
Bimmer in Action

Name:  ZRP_9508-2.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  694.8 KB
Appreciate 1