New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #1
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW 228i xdrive Coupe

Upgrade Electric In Home

Having a home generator installed and in the midst of installation (which has taken forever) the contractor is telling me my house is at 120 amps I should have a mininium of 150 probably 200 on a house this size. Of course telling me that my current electric panel won't pass the code and this work needs to be done. So between over 10k for the generator, 3k for the gas company now I'm looking at God knows how much for new electric panel in my house.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Can't imagine it being too much compared to the other costs you're facing. Just so long you're not dealing with aluminum wire or knob and tube. Now that would get crazy fast.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY10 View Post
Having a home generator installed and in the midst of installation (which has taken forever) the contractor is telling me my house is at 120 amps I should have a mininium of 150 probably 200 on a house this size. Of course telling me that my current electric panel won't pass the code and this work needs to be done. So between over 10k for the generator, 3k for the gas company now I'm looking at God knows how much for new electric panel in my house.
Did this with my rental in CT it cost me $1500 cash to get this done. Electric company will come add additional service once the new box has been built by your electrician and passes inspection.

That's not all. You will have to pull a permit which will most likely cause your taxes to go up. Mine went up by like 200 bucks a year..... permit was 120 dollars and varies by city, town and state.
      12-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #4
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

oh and don't bother shopping around every place I called it was within dollars of the other guys. Its like an electrician's mafia or something. They all say the same price and wont budge.
      12-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
contractor see $$ when owner is upgrading or doing some kind of renovation. I would get second opinion. I believe you would have to submit electric load calc, and explanation for more power before you can get approval for electrical upgrade. New electric feed must be fed into your house, its my understanding from meeting I attend. I work for MEP firm but I do the plumbing design.

verify with your electric company before doing anything
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This house is old 60+ years. Not to mention that work was being done 30 years ago it was done very half ass.

I am set with a 150 amp right now but the wavutal amp is 100 that runs from the street to the house. I also know that when several ACs are on or too many lights a fuse blows.

Of course I know contractors see $$$ and I was already told that being the outsides wires aren't enclosed I wouldn't pass inspection.

I have a permit already for the generator and being the contractor doing generator is the one who is getting electrican I don't know if I'll need another permit.

He was also talking about switching out my breaker and bla bla bla.

I want everything to pass inspection but I just feel like one simple thing being done is now turning into a major pain in the ass for me. If it's a matter of $1500 to $2000 I won't mind all the work but looking online I've seen things going from $4000-$9000 which is just not worth it to me at all.

Not to mention I still need gas meter installed and everything running and hooked up.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 06:43 AM   #7
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Everything has to be done by NY or NYC code to pass inspection. Just have contractor do the work and make some kind of deal to do rest of the work.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 06:58 AM   #8
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This house is old 60+ years. Not to mention that work was being done 30 years ago it was done very half ass.

I am set with a 150 amp right now but the wavutal amp is 100 that runs from the street to the house. I also know that when several ACs are on or too many lights a fuse blows.

Of course I know contractors see $$$ and I was already told that being the outsides wires aren't enclosed I wouldn't pass inspection.

I have a permit already for the generator and being the contractor doing generator is the one who is getting electrican I don't know if I'll need another permit.

He was also talking about switching out my breaker and bla bla bla.

I want everything to pass inspection but I just feel like one simple thing being done is now turning into a major pain in the ass for me. If it's a matter of $1500 to $2000 I won't mind all the work but looking online I've seen things going from $4000-$9000 which is just not worth it to me at all.

Not to mention I still need gas meter installed and everything running and hooked up.
again this was north west CT so price may be cheaper there. But 9k to build out a new breaker box is fucking crazy..... unless ny has lost its fucking mind, which it has long ago!

Each breaker is about 50 -70 bucks. The box itself is 400 max. Talk to them with relevant pricing know what they are tyring to sell you. It will make it harder for them to justify the price they are pushing on you.
      12-17-2015, 07:25 AM   #9
Ryguy29
TrizzlemyniZzzlE3
Rep

Drives: Sparkling graphite m3 coupe

Im a union electrican if you need a hand swapping out that panel i can help one day after work or maybe a saturday at a fraction of the cost a contactor is gona charge you . Let me know Ryan 516-642-2866

Last edited by Ryguy29; 12-17-2015 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Contractor doing it now. Moving meter, moving wires, increasing amps. $2600 which from what I've seen online is a little below average.

The work needed to get done cause the set up wasn't even up to code and no way it would have passed inspection when they come to check work.

All this headache for a backup generator, would have been much simpler and faster if we already had a gas line.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #11
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

OP, he might be right or wrong. You didn't give is enough info to decide or help you. What is your question anyways. You just stated your situation.

Phage in mind that electric codes have changed in the past years. The older the home, the weaker the codes were. Now a days you need 12ga wire for the kitchen, bathroom, laundry and a lot of dedicated outlets. Your hose is wired and most probably you are using one circuit for lights and outlets on a bathroom. That for exams,e won't pass code right now. There are several of this codes that are new to your house. Bear in mind that all electric appliances and lights use less power but you are plugging more things. It's impossible to give you an answer at his input since we do not have an electric schedule and electric plan to study.
Is there an specific reason why he wants to upgrade the electric panel. Now a days a 2,000 sq ft can use a 200 amp panel. A 100 amp panel might be good for townhouses.
Good luck

Last edited by M3Bimmer77; 12-17-2015 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #12
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
I can't comment on what your requirements are in the jurisdiction in which you live regarding the necessity to use a licensed electrician to install panels. If you have a main shutoff / disconnect, that would be a good idea. With a main shutoff you should be able to compete the work yourself (you could do it without, just not adviseable)

The generators I am familiar with (Genrac) use a sub panel that have a switch that is triggered when a power interruption is detected. From my understanding the power protected circuits are terminated to the sub panel. This is usually a 60 amp panel that is attached to a 60 amp breaker in your main panel.

Panels and breakers are not super expensive, comparative to the labor. In my experience, unless you have a clean panel with breakers which is a current brand, like Siemens, Square D or Eaton, etc, it is best to add a new panel. If I were in your position, I would update the main panel at the same time as you install the sub panel required for the generator. I would also upgrade to at least 2 phase 200 amp power, or greater. You want to be able to charge your i8!

B.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #13
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77 View Post
OP, he might be right or wrong. You didn't give is enough info to decide or help you. What is your question anyways. You just stated your situation.

Phage in mind that electric codes have changed in the past years. The older the home, the weaker the codes were. Now a days you need 12ga wire for the kitchen, bathroom, laundry and a lot of dedicated outlets. Your hose is wired and most probably you are using one circuit for lights and outlets on a bathroom. That for exams,e won't pass code right now. There are several of this codes that are new to your house. Bear in mind that all electric appliances and lights use less power but you are plugging more things. It's impossible to give you an answer at his input since we do not have an electric schedule and electric plan to study.
Is there an specific reason why he wants to upgrade the electric panel. Now a days a 2,000 sq ft can use a 200 amp panel. A 100 amp panel might be good for townhouses.
Good luck
Yea i didn't need to move anything just get a new meter (digital) and a larger box for more breakers. Power company pulled another feed from the street for free. So i guess i got away cheap.
      12-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #14
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
I can't comment on what your requirements are in the jurisdiction in which you live regarding the necessity to use a licensed electrician to install panels. If you have a main shutoff / disconnect, that would be a good idea. With a main shutoff you should be able to compete the work yourself (you could do it without, just not adviseable)

The generators I am familiar with (Genrac) use a sub panel that have a switch that is triggered when a power interruption is detected. From my understanding the power protected circuits are terminated to the sub panel. This is usually a 60 amp panel that is attached to a 60 amp breaker in your main panel.

Panels and breakers are not super expensive, comparative to the labor. In my experience, unless you have a clean panel with breakers which is a current brand, like Siemens, Square D or Eaton, etc, it is best to add a new panel. If I were in your position, I would update the main panel at the same time as you install the sub panel required for the generator. I would also upgrade to at least 2 phase 200 amp power, or greater. You want to be able to charge your i8!

B.
You're crazy this is ny. You can take a piss by yourself in this state. The permit will never close if a licensed electrician does not sign of on the work. And if you do it without a permit you will have issues when you try to sell your house and think you are about to go to closing and this shit come up.
      12-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #15
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
You're crazy this is ny. You can take a piss by yourself in this state. The permit will never close if a licensed electrician does not sign of on the work. And if you do it without a permit you will have issues when you try to sell your house and think you are about to go to closing and this shit come up.
exactly!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #16
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agree.

I had my contractor do everything. Where I live on LI in a village it is a nightmare. Anytime anything gets done I need a permit, I have heard of people having issues where they bought a house, had work done that they had a permit for, when inspectors came they saw a deck and fined the person over $400 cause they didn't have the deck in their paper work even though the person said he bought the house with the deck.

All electric is in, gas line is run, generator (generac) is in my backyard. Of course it's not hooked up and done yet because like stated above, the town needs to come in and check every piece of dirt on my property before the gas company can turn on the gas meter.

I'm waiting for them to reject everything because the sidewalk is dug up and I can't fix it until all work is finished and dirt is put back.

At least the electric is out of the way and done legally and right. That's a huge load off my mind.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #17
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Btw, there is no such thing as a 120A service. My guess is that you were a 100A service coming in and you upgradeed to a 200A. 2/0 Copper wire for the service entry is expensive, and eats most of your cost.

If you had a panel where circuits were doubled up, they'll be separated. Othersie, if you were not popping breakers, or of there was no shoddy work done, there might not have been a need to do a service change.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #18
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
If its not broken, dont fix it
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #19
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
Quote:
That sucks!

Here in Canada, I call the ESA (Electrical Safety Authority) order a permit over the phone. Call them when I am ready for rough in inspection, then a final when everything is done and they close the permit and give me a certificate. No electrician required.

Hope you get it sorted out...

B.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 05:21 AM   #20
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

B.
That subpanel you're referring to isn't really a subpanel. It's a transfer switch. Because I opted to backup the entire house and not a portion of the electrical, I don't have a breaker tied into the main panel. The only breaker for an electrical tie in I have is a 100 Amp breaker for my 100 Amp subpanel in my basement.

And others have already commented about the permit requirements.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #21
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Btw, there is no such thing as a 120A service. My guess is that you were a 100A service coming in and you upgradeed to a 200A. 2/0 Copper wire for the service entry is expensive, and eats most of your cost.

If you had a panel where circuits were doubled up, they'll be separated. Othersie, if you were not popping breakers, or of there was no shoddy work done, there might not have been a need to do a service change.
My bad. I had 100 amp. My breaker was set to 150 but they only had 100 going to my house now I have 200 and a new wire set up. The old one was connected to my house which it can't be hanging over any of the properity so they moved everything over.

New circuit box is bigger so if need be I can add more. Generator is connected and I'm just waiting now for final inspection and gas company to install meter to turn on my gas and wait for the next storm.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #22
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Fuses? Really? If so, heck yes get a new panel.

Quote:
Based on my own experience, this is good advice.
Appreciate 0