New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #111
Gumpert_H8R
Registered
Rep

Drives: Pinto

Huh? Whats this all aboot eh?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #112
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo Squirrel View Post

The elise has a corolla engine....the viper has a truck engine, so what
Celica engine actually if we're being technical. It was used in later Corollas but Celica first
Indestructible and light.
I can understand the Vipers reason for being. As I said earlier it's along the lines of a TVR but there are limits to how long you want to be terrified. On the TVR's side the interior look exquisite (even if they are glued together and fall apart regularly) and they cost a lot less than the Viper which has one of the worst interiors I've ever seen but that's another days discussion.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #113
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
i like TVRs, lolz.

The only thing that the vipers engine uses from the truck version...is the block....well even that is different b/c the trucks block is cast iron and the vipers is aluminum, as are the heads, which were created for use in the viper. Everything besides the mold for the block were changed for the viper. I'd one apart, i should know. And i worked at chrysler with SRT engineers.
True. It's been around so ling I guess it would have morphed into it's own entity but it did start life in a truck. Speaking of SRT who in the name of all that's holy do they have designing the add on body bits for the SRT range???? Is he blind??? Now there's a designer that needs a slap in the ear.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #114
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpert_H8R View Post

Don't listen to them Gumpert. I think you're lovely.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #115
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
Lots of people in europe like vipers. I like vipers (I prefer the GTS to the vert though and you can keep those repulsive colours ). You have to love cars that are stupid fast regardless of where they come from or what they look like. I've owned Imprezas, Evos and GT-R's though the years and they couldn't be called beautiful by any stretch (other than looking the part).

Here's a task for you so we can all be friends again. I realise you probably have other things to do so don't spend more than 5 or 6 hours on it ()

Using pure design rules and taking personal task and emotion out of it completely which model year of 911 is the "best" designed. I would suggest only base models (including spoilers if they were fitted as in 80's) unless you want to take the question on as a full time career

Which is your guess before you start to analyse? I'm thinking 964 or 997.
Porsche is tough b/c their customers would burn the place down if they ever changed the 911 enough. But, that being said the most 911 recent 911 for me is the 997. Older, i would have to say the 930. They are all pretty simple in terms of styling. Now as far as the most cohesive of all time, i would say the 997. porsche has been essentially designing the same car since 1963...they have been perfecting it ever since.
      08-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #116
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True. It's been around so ling I guess it would have morphed into it's own entity but it did start life in a truck. Speaking of SRT who in the name of all that's holy do they have designing the add on body bits for the SRT range???? Is he blind??? Now there's a designer that needs a slap in the ear.
Be specific and i can explain, lol.
      08-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #117
wiggyx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2004 Neon SRT-4

Quote:
God knows who owns who anymore but Jaguar don't put the engines from SUV's (they don't make trucks) into their cars. They put the silky engines from their cars into their high end SUV's. BIG difference.

I love the whole idea of the Viper for what it is. Something along the lines of a TVR but you have to accept the realities of it. It is a truck powered car and it has no driver aids (just like a TVR) which you can paint anyway you want by saying driving purity etc but the bottom line is the absence of driver aids is just plain dangerous for most average drivers. And no one can defend that interior in a 100k car.
Yeah, unfortunately Chrysler is known for not spending too much time on their interiors. I think it's their biggest flaw (as a brand).
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #118
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
i was never trying to make this a US car vs EU car battle thread...and all i said was that the car is ugly...Sorehead started debating. I dont like the viper just because its american....and i dont dislike the gumpert b/c its from europe. its not about that.
I should read everything before I try to calm things down.
Where the hell do you get off saying that crap???? You're making lies up about me that would suggest I'm biased one way or the other.

Q: At what point did I say I didn't like the Viper?
A: Nevee. I said the opposite. I said I liked the Viper. I don't like the tacky ACR version.

Q: At what point did I say I didn't like if because it was American?
A: Never. Not once. That's pure a fabrication and I don't appreciate it.

Q: At what point did I say I don't dislike the Gumpert because it's form
Europe?
A: Again. Never. In fact I said the FXX was ugly too. Last time I checked that was European. I said I love the Gumpert for what it can do but that it was ugly as sin.

Please try to keep comments about me to factual ones and not something you just dreamed up.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #119
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
Yeah, unfortunately Chrysler is known for not spending too much time on their interiors. I think it's their biggest flaw (as a brand).
It's a shame. The same is true for the Vette. It can't cost much to throw some decent materials in there or design it a bit better. Even if it added a couple of grand to the price it's the place you sit and should feel special when you're spending upwards of 90k (Z06/ZR1/Viper).

Every other aspect of both models is great.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #120
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Porsche is tough b/c their customers would burn the place down if they ever changed the 911 enough. But, that being said the most 911 recent 911 for me is the 997. Older, i would have to say the 930. They are all pretty simple in terms of styling. Now as far as the most cohesive of all time, i would say the 997. porsche has been essentially designing the same car since 1963...they have been perfecting it ever since.
WTF?
Where's the pretty picture with the breakdown of your analysis for each model year
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #121
wiggyx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2004 Neon SRT-4

Quote:
Celica engine actually if we're being technical. It was used in later Corollas but Celica first
Indestructible and light.
I can understand the Vipers reason for being. As I said earlier it's along the lines of a TVR but there are limits to how long you want to be terrified. On the TVR's side the interior look exquisite (even if they are glued together and fall apart regularly) and they cost a lot less than the Viper which has one of the worst interiors I've ever seen but that's another days discussion.
Actually, it was in Corollas before it was in Celicas. They started putting the 1ZZ in corollas in '98 and '00 for the Celilca.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #122
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
And no I am not a Euro snob but I do not get American love of everything having to be SUPERSIZED.
A-fricken-men brother. I gotta agree with you on that one. Pigs in pigs of cars. Just today I had some obnoxious woman shake her head (And by default her six chins) at me because I apparently impeded her progress through an extremely busy parking lot. Apparently people in giant cars have an entitlement mentality...

Sorry for the off topic rant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #123
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
God knows who owns who anymore but Jaguar don't put the engines from SUV's (they don't make trucks) into their cars. They put the silky engines from their cars into their high end SUV's. BIG difference.

I love the whole idea of the Viper for what it is. Something along the lines of a TVR but you have to accept the realities of it. It is a truck powered car and it has no driver aids (just like a TVR) which you can paint anyway you want by saying driving purity etc but the bottom line is the absence of driver aids is just plain dangerous for most average drivers. And no one can defend that interior in a 100k car.
I'm just playin And I cant defend interiors in US 30K cars... Geez

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #124
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Brilliant! You can't help it buddy, go back downstairs and have mom make you some pizza bagels...

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #125
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I should read everything before I try to calm things down.
Where the hell do you get off saying that crap???? You're making lies up about me that would suggest I'm biased one way or the other.

Q: At what point did I say I didn't like the Viper?
A: Nevee. I said the opposite. I said I liked the Viper. I don't like the tacky ACR version.

Q: At what point did I say I didn't like if because it was American?
A: Never. Not once. That's pure a fabrication and I don't appreciate it.

Q: At what point did I say I don't dislike the Gumpert because it's form
Europe?
A: Again. Never. In fact I said the FXX was ugly too. Last time I checked that was European. I said I love the Gumpert for what it can do but that it was ugly as sin.

Please try to keep comments about me to factual ones and not something you just dreamed up.
we were talking mostly to footie
      08-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #126
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
WTF?
Where's the pretty picture with the breakdown of your analysis for each model year
i didnt know u wanted that. theres not much to analyze with the 911. its pretty simple, they just freshen it up with each generation
      08-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #127
shagoki
Neon Powa
Rep

Drives: 600 horsepowa

Quote:
OMG hes coming across the lake with his canoe and musket!!

Quote:
Which SRT sir?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #128
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
we were talking mostly to footie
OK. but you said the euro vs usa stuff in the sentence where you said I had started the argument so you can see how I would mistake it for me.
All friends again.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #129
Robo Squirrel
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK. but you said the euro vs usa stuff in the sentence where you said I had started the argument so you can see how I would mistake it for me.
All friends again.
hahaha
      08-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #130
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagoki View Post

Which SRT sir?
The stupid ones like the SUV and the strange (even in non SRT form) square hatchback crossover thing? The body add-ons are some of the worst executed and looking I've ever seen. But hey. That's just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #131
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
i didnt know u wanted that. theres not much to analyze with the 911. its pretty simple, they just freshen it up with each generation
I didn't really. I just wanted to give you 5 or 6 days work
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #132
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
Actually, it was in Corollas before it was in Celicas. They started putting the 1ZZ in corollas in '98 and '00 for the Celilca.
Not in Europe.
We had the Celica with it from the start in the GT-S model as it's not the 1ZZ used by Lotus. It's the 2ZZ with the base 180bhp. They never actually used the 1ZZ in the Lotus cars.
Appreciate 0