New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-23-2022, 02:38 AM   #45
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
I had to look twice as it looked like they were splitting lanes on the most inner lanes, but this is indeed a RHD situation so these guys are splitting lanes between the two most outer lanes, and that is the ideal spot for it (where I live, that's the only spot where it is allowed)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 02:58 AM   #46
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Some of the reasons why I never did it.
As long as the dashcams are ok...man
I would just say to them "I hope it hurts appropriately", what a hord of dumba§§es.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
GuidoK10473.00
      09-23-2022, 10:29 AM   #47
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
You seem too angry to be on the road with others.
Engaging contribution to the discussion
      09-23-2022, 10:30 PM   #48
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep

Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
On my business and personal trips to CA I see 99% of motorcyclists following that law.

As far as filtering, I don't feel "slighted" when someone gets ahead of me. Driving isn't a real estate contest.

I don't don't do either here in Texas because it is not legal.
I rarely ever saw anyone following that speed law. Most of em were flyin through close to cars, hitting people's mirrors with their fists...just being straight up dicks.

I'm with you though, who really gives a fcuk if they are ahead of me? I'm still gonna get to where I want & need to be! Makes me no nevermind
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 03:26 AM   #49
540iSUP
Captain
Rep

Drives: G30, E36

Living in California for most of my life I have grown accustom to this and feel no ill will towards it. I actually actively look for bikers and move to the side a bit to let the Rider know I see them and they are welcome to pass me if they need to. I never try to squeeze them out at a light because I was told that most bikes don't have fans behind the radiator and need to be moving to get fresh air. Either way, we don't own the road and it's up to all of us to be vigilant.

Question to Bike riders: If I'm in the left, fast lane, would it be better if I hug the Left or the Right side of the lane to let you pass?
Appreciate 3
      09-24-2022, 05:10 AM   #50
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post
Living in California for most of my life I have grown accustom to this and feel no ill will towards it. I actually actively look for bikers and move to the side a bit to let the Rider know I see them and they are welcome to pass me if they need to. I never try to squeeze them out at a light because I was told that most bikes don't have fans behind the radiator and need to be moving to get fresh air. Either way, we don't own the road and it's up to all of us to be vigilant.

Question to Bike riders: If I'm in the left, fast lane, would it be better if I hug the Left or the Right side of the lane to let you pass?
Exactly what I do and get appreciative waves and thumbs up sometimes from them for giving them space, after all they are the far more vulnerable road users.
Appreciate 2
      09-24-2022, 06:19 AM   #51
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Exactly what I do and get appreciative waves and thumbs up sometimes from them for giving them space, after all they are the far more vulnerable road users.
I always make sure to acknowledge and show appreciation to those drivers who created the extra few inches of space when I'm filtering in slow, heavy traffic conditions.
Thanks to all of you that do this!
If I'm in my car, I extend the same courtesy to fellow riders.
If a rider doesn't acknowledge your considerate gesture, it's most likely they just didn't recognize your deliberate action to give them more space.
We must always remember that we share the roads with countless variation in levels of experience in all vehicle operators. Some might not have developed the same level of awareness when compared to those of us with thousands of miles under our belts, different types of vehicles, formal commercial training, track time... I can go on...
Be safe out there, all
cmyx6go15564.50
540iSUP703.00
      09-24-2022, 06:24 AM   #52
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post

Thank you for creating the space for filtering riders. It's appreciated more that you can know.
To answer your question, if you're driving in the far left/fast lane, it's preferred you make the space on the inside of the lane, so the bike can pass between you and the lane on your right.
This avoids the biker passing on your left, possible drifting into the shoulder, kicking up road debris or losing traction.
As you drift slightly to the left in the far left lane, you're creating plenty of space for the bike to fit between you and the car on your right, and if done well, your left side tires will never pass into the shoulder, avoiding road debris, as well.
      09-24-2022, 12:53 PM   #53
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep

Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
To answer your question, if you're driving in the far left/fast lane, it's preferred you make the space on the inside of the lane, so the bike can pass between you and the lane on your right.
This avoids the biker passing on your left, possible drifting into the shoulder, kicking up road debris or losing traction.
As you drift slightly to the left in the far left lane, you're creating plenty of space for the bike to fit between you and the car on your right, and if done well, your left side tires will never pass into the shoulder, avoiding road debris, as well.
This.

I don't know if I've ever seen a motorcycle pass on the left side of a fast lane. The same goes for the right side of the slow lane.
Appreciate 2
      09-24-2022, 12:59 PM   #54
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Thank you for creating the space for filtering riders. It's appreciated more that you can know.
Isn't lane-splitting confined to between the "inside" lanes? Passing outside of the outer lanes would be the same as driving on the shoulder.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 03:00 PM   #55
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
I would never risk riding on the shoulder to make space for a motorcycle. That’s ridiculous. They can wait behind me like normal cars.

I created this post because Arizona is literally turning into California and that is a bad thing
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 06:52 PM   #56
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
I always make sure to acknowledge and show appreciation to those drivers who created the extra few inches of space when I'm filtering in slow, heavy traffic conditions.
Thanks to all of you that do this!
If I'm in my car, I extend the same courtes
Same, always give a wave if possible whenever a car defers in any way.
Appreciate 2
      09-24-2022, 07:32 PM   #57
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
I would never risk riding on the shoulder to make space for a motorcycle. That’s ridiculous. They can wait behind me like normal cars.

I created this post because Arizona is literally turning into California and that is a bad thing
No motorcyclist is expecting any car drivers to hit the shoulder for them to pass. We only ask that car drivers don't intentionally block or obstruct a motorcyclist as they filter.
Like any vehicle... It can be operated by courteous or selfish people.
Always remember, if you wish for the roads to shared with you, then share the roads with others.
cmyx6go15564.50
M5Rick58881.00
540iSUP703.00
      09-24-2022, 07:59 PM   #58
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No motorcyclist is expecting any car drivers to hit the shoulder for them to pass. We only ask that car drivers don't intentionally block or obstruct a motorcyclist as they filter.
Always remember, if you wish for the roads to shared with you, then share the roads with others.
I guess my point is I'm focused on too many things while driving; safety being the #1 priority. I don't have time to make sure I'm giving motorcycles enough room.

That's why I believe it shouldn't be allowed.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 08:46 PM   #59
rwheels
Major
Rep

Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
I guess my point is I'm focused on too many things while driving; safety being the #1 priority. I don't have time to make sure I'm giving motorcycles enough room.

Usually it’s done during high traffic conditions, when it is moving fairly slow. My opinion is that anyone doing so during normal flow is a fool, or they have a death wish.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 07:15 AM   #60
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Engaging contribution to the discussion
If you can't see that is....I stand by my statement.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 04:07 PM   #61
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

You don't have enough time?

If you are sitting stopped in traffic and are reasonably spaced in your lane they can fit through without you having to move at all. I guess unless you are driving a lifted dually truck or something with the tow mirrors sticking out 6 feet from the door.

Like anything else I don't have an issue with it when people are respectful, but there are idiots on both sides, those who try to block them (is it really worth potentially killing someone?) and those who zoom through cars at 50mph.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 05:22 PM   #62
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
You don't have enough time?

If you are sitting stopped in traffic and are reasonably spaced in your lane they can fit through without you having to move at all. I guess unless you are driving a lifted dually truck or something with the tow mirrors sticking out 6 feet from the door.

Like anything else I don't have an issue with it when people are respectful, but there are idiots on both sides, those who try to block them (is it really worth potentially killing someone?) and those who zoom through cars at 50mph.
When I'm driving my eyes are focused on the road ahead and I'm always looking at drivers around me. I don't have time to worry about leaving enough room so impatient motorcycles can lane split. I'm sorry but it's the truth.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 04:48 AM   #63
540iSUP
Captain
Rep

Drives: G30, E36

Quote:
When I'm driving my eyes are focused on the road ahead and I'm always looking at drivers around me. I don't have time to worry about leaving enough room so impatient motorcycles can lane split. I'm sorry but it's the truth.
I understand where you're coming from, but I have to point out that "looking at drivers around me" should entail motorcycles as well. I am focused on the road ahead and I keep an eye on who is behind me. If a car comes up fast behind me, I move over or speed up. If a motorcycle comes up behind me, I move slightly over to let them know I see them. Most of the time they don't pass unless it's safe, but I do see your concern if a rider blasts between you and another vehicle. Fortunately some highways in California have a space between the carpool and fast lane that riders can utilize.
Appreciate 0