New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-23-2023, 05:40 PM   #23
ksa
Major
ksa's Avatar
Canada
753
Rep
1,235
Posts

 
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Alberta/Canada

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Very wishful thinking. There’s only so much you can do with the current regulations and cost cap - you almost have to get it right at the start or you’re almost always playing catch up.

This is going to be the same when the new engine regulations kick in. One manufacturer is going to nail the engine while the rest will be playing catch up.
Absolutely. But as I said, one can hope. Would suck to be stuck in the era of RBR domination but I guess that's how RBR (and other teams) fans felt during Merc era. It always rotates and all I really care for is one more title for LH but it may be increasingly difficult.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 06:11 PM   #24
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
TheBingoBalls's Avatar
Canada
3647
Rep
4,613
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Absolutely. But as I said, one can hope. Would suck to be stuck in the era of RBR domination but I guess that's how RBR (and other teams) fans felt during Merc era. It always rotates and all I really care for is one more title for LH but it may be increasingly difficult.
Itís very likely Red Bull will be winning championships until the new engine regulations kicks in and then everything gets ďresetĒ again. Same thing after that until 2030 when F1 should be carbon free.

This is what all these regulations and cost cap is supposed to do, donít allow one team to completely dominate for long periods of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 06:49 PM   #25
Autobacs
Captain
Autobacs's Avatar
United_States
1118
Rep
659
Posts

 
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: WA state

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
One day only, so many and much more still to be seen but I have never seen ALO up in second in any testing for the last 8 years. Is this real or is this a mirage? We shall find out!
__________________
2019 BMW X6M
2013 Lexus RX450H
2010 Nissan GTR AMS Omega 14
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 03:04 AM   #26
MontyB1
Major
1152
Rep
1,402
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X3
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

SO so hard to judge where they all are, it will get a little bit clear on fastest sector times when they look at things at the end.

Nobody is looking terrible to me, some seem very stiff like the Alfa and AT. I wonder if anyone will add anything funky on the last day. Doesn't seem to be any bouncing but the circuit is quite bumpy in places.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 07:31 AM   #27
HeelToeShift
Captain
1523
Rep
807
Posts

 
Drives: Mine
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Itís very likely Red Bull will be winning championships until the new engine regulations kicks in and then everything gets ďresetĒ again. Same thing after that until 2030 when F1 should be carbon free.

This is what all these regulations and cost cap is supposed to do, donít allow one team to completely dominate for long periods of time.
I think it's going to be tough to touch RB. They really didnt put much effort into dev the 2nd half of last year and were so far ahead it's a large gap to cover for just about everyone. I also don't think anyone on the grid is close to Max in capability or skill either...LeC is the closest but I dont think he has the team or confidence Max has. Plus Sai will be vying for that #1 driver spot too since there is clearly no favorite there.
I also think RB will have a jump on the 2026 engine/regs the way they are structuring things (new engine manuf. which should get them more dev time).
Appreciate 3
NYG10512.00
M5Rick51622.50
      02-24-2023, 08:27 AM   #28
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
TheBingoBalls's Avatar
Canada
3647
Rep
4,613
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
I think it's going to be tough to touch RB. They really didnt put much effort into dev the 2nd half of last year and were so far ahead it's a large gap to cover for just about everyone. I also don't think anyone on the grid is close to Max in capability or skill either...LeC is the closest but I dont think he has the team or confidence Max has. Plus Sai will be vying for that #1 driver spot too since there is clearly no favorite there.
I also think RB will have a jump on the 2026 engine/regs the way they are structuring things (new engine manuf. which should get them more dev time).
I agree. Regardless of all the noise in this thread, Red Bull developed the perfect car for this set of regulations. Period. From chassis to engine. And to get it right from the start is a tremendous advantage leading up to 2026.
Appreciate 4
3798j9665.50
NYG10512.00
M5Rick51622.50
      02-24-2023, 09:02 AM   #29
HeelToeShift
Captain
1523
Rep
807
Posts

 
Drives: Mine
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I agree. Regardless of all the noise in this thread, Red Bull developed the perfect car for this set of regulations. Period. From chassis to engine. And to get it right from the start is a tremendous advantage leading up to 2026.
I think you said it perfectly initially - the one who lands a proverbial knock-out first, especially if that punch lands like 2022 did, and, assuming the resources (which RB clearly has), it puts them almost in a sprint while others are still trying to jog briskly.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick51622.50
      02-24-2023, 10:20 AM   #30
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
3798j's Avatar
9666
Rep
1,611
Posts

 
Drives: E86 3.0si
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Susquehanna Valley

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [9.00]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
Day 2...
Leaderboard
Zhou, Alfa Romeo, 1m31.610s, C5 - 133 laps
Verstappen, Red Bull, 1m31.650s, C3 - 44 laps
Alonso, Aston Martin, 1m32.205s, C3 - 130 laps
De Vries, AlphaTauri, 1m32.222s, C5 - 70 laps
Hulkenberg, Haas, 1m32.466s, C4 - 64 laps
Sainz, Ferrari, 1m32.486s, C3 - 70 laps
Sargeant, Williams, 1m32.549s, C5 - 154 laps
Leclerc, Ferrari, 1m32.725s, C3 - 64 laps
Piastri, McLaren, 1m33.175s, C3 - 70 laps
Gasly, Alpine, 1m33.463s, C3 - 55 laps
Magnussen, Haas, 1m33.442s, C3 - 67 laps
Ocon, Alpine, 1m33.490s, C3 - 49 laps
Russell, Mercedes, 1m33.654s, C3 - 26 laps
Perez, Red Bull, 1m33.751s, Proto - 76 laps
Hamilton, Mercedes, 1m33.954s, C3 - 72 laps
Norris, McLaren, 1m35.522s, C2 - 65 laps
Tsunoda, AlphaTauri, 1m35.708s, C2 - 85 laps
Appreciate 1
NYG10512.00
      02-24-2023, 10:34 AM   #31
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Killed by Death's Avatar
10920
Rep
3,166
Posts

 
Drives: '23 X3 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

MB already setting up Rus Boy to be Botta$$d

https://youtu.be/mZdHmHODI6k
Appreciate 3
NYG10512.00
M5Rick51622.50
      02-24-2023, 12:54 PM   #32
M3WC
Brigadier General
3170
Rep
3,007
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ...location...location

iTrader: (0)

That hydraulic failure for Merc has to hurt, missed a lot of run time. Toto said the team was struggling with finding a balance/setup for hot weather.

The AM and Alonso looking promising.
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2023, 01:04 PM   #33
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
TheBingoBalls's Avatar
Canada
3647
Rep
4,613
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
That hydraulic failure for Merc has to hurt, missed a lot of run time. Toto said the team was struggling with finding a balance/setup for hot weather.

The AM and Alonso looking promising.
I would be surprised if they didnít encounter any issues or obstacles having to significantly rework the car from the W13.

But on that token, itís going to be a grind and struggle for Mercedes to make up any deficit from last year and then try to catch up this year. I think if the W14 isnít more competitive this year, Mercedes should start from scratch and prepare for 2026.

Iím still under the idea that this non-side pod design has some performance benefits that requires more money than allowed in a single season which is why no team is running it (I know the design isnít the main contributing factor of shit performance) but if there are no real gains this year, itís almost useless to further develop it.
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2023, 02:31 PM   #34
///M Power-Belgium
General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
57789
Rep
23,111
Posts

 
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I would be surprised if they didnít encounter any issues or obstacles having to significantly rework the car from the W13.

But on that token, itís going to be a grind and struggle for Mercedes to make up any deficit from last year and then try to catch up this year. I think if the W14 isnít more competitive this year, Mercedes should start from scratch and prepare for 2026.

Iím still under the idea that this non-side pod design has some performance benefits that requires more money than allowed in a single season which is why no team is running it (I know the design isnít the main contributing factor of shit performance) but if there are no real gains this year, itís almost useless to further develop it.
Mercedes won't see the podium at Bahrain .
__________________
"MAX VERSTAPPEN" IS THE 2021+2022+2023 F1 WORLD CHAMPION - #UnLeashTheLion

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick51622.50
DrFerry5995.00
      02-24-2023, 05:28 PM   #35
minn19
Major General
minn19's Avatar
13720
Rep
9,986
Posts

 
Drives: 20 Taco, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

Anybody else think it is crazy that they get so little testing time, so late in the offseason with the regular season starting next week? I know they do a lot of other work during the off season, but I canít think of any other Motorsport or even regular sports where it is like that. Can you imagine football or baseball training/practice only being a week before the start of the season? Not apples to apple I know, but you get the point.
Appreciate 4
E92inNC1672.00
MontyB11151.50
NickyC16262.00
      02-24-2023, 06:08 PM   #36
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
TheBingoBalls's Avatar
Canada
3647
Rep
4,613
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Anybody else think it is crazy that they get so little testing time, so late in the offseason with the regular season starting next week? I know they do a lot of other work during the off season, but I canít think of any other Motorsport or even regular sports where it is like that. Can you imagine football or baseball training/practice only being a week before the start of the season? Not apples to apple I know, but you get the point.
I don't mind it because a large part of F1 is the development of the vehicle across the entire season when you have to swap out parts. With that, there's only so much practicing you can do without wearing out parts.
Appreciate 1
minn1913720.00
      02-25-2023, 07:27 AM   #37
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Killed by Death's Avatar
10920
Rep
3,166
Posts

 
Drives: '23 X3 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)



KBD is taking the wife to our first ever fķtbol match tonight

Charlotte FC vs. New England
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 5
M5Rick51622.50
minn1913720.00
HBC123.50
Autobacs1118.00
      02-25-2023, 08:10 AM   #38
M5Rick
Lieutenant General
M5Rick's Avatar
51623
Rep
16,940
Posts

 
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post


KBD is taking the wife to our first ever fķtbol match tonight

Charlotte FC vs. New England
I have cousins in New England KbD so gotta go with them
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2023, 08:10 AM   #39
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
3798j's Avatar
9666
Rep
1,611
Posts

 
Drives: E86 3.0si
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Susquehanna Valley

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [9.00]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
DAY THREE MORNING TEST TIMES
1. Leclerc (Ferrari) 1m31.024s, C4, 67 laps
2. Russell (Mercedes) 1m31.442s, C5, 83 laps
3. Drugovich (Aston Martin) 1m32.075s, C5, 77 laps
4. Perez (Red Bull) 1m32.459s, C3, 69 laps
5. Gasly (Alpine) 1m32.762s, C3, 56 laps
6. Albon (Williams) 1m32.793s, C4, 53 laps
7. Hulkenberg (Haas) 1m33.329s, C3, 77 laps
8. Piastri (McLaren) 1m33.655s, C3, 44 laps
9. Bottas (Alfa Romeo) 1m36.854s, C3, 72 laps
10. De Vries (AlphaTauri) 1m38.244s, C3, 87 laps

https://the-race.com/formula-1/lecle...of-f1-testing/
Appreciate 2
MontyB11151.50
      02-25-2023, 09:45 AM   #40
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
3798j's Avatar
9666
Rep
1,611
Posts

 
Drives: E86 3.0si
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Susquehanna Valley

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [9.00]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
Last year's pole was a 1m 30.558s, Perez just did a 1m 30.305s.
The commentary after that lap:
"Given what Verstappen was producing yesterday with the RB19 and what Perez is doing today, this display from the Red Bull team sends out an ominous warning to the rest."

Last edited by 3798j; 02-25-2023 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 10:32 AM   #41
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
3798j's Avatar
9666
Rep
1,611
Posts

 
Drives: E86 3.0si
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Susquehanna Valley

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [9.00]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
Day 3
Leaderboard
Perez, Red Bull, 1m30.305s, C4 - 130 laps
Hamilton, Mercedes, 1m30.664s, C5 - 62 laps
Bottas, Alfa Romeo, 1m30.827s, C5 - 128 laps
Leclerc, Ferrari, 1m31.024s, C4 - 67 laps
Sainz, Ferrari, 1m31.036s, C4 - 76 laps
Tsunoda, AlphaTauri, 1m31.261s, C4 - 76 laps
Magnussen, Haas, 1m31.381s, C4 - 95 laps
Russell, Mercedes, 1m31.442s, C5 - 83 laps
Alonso, Aston Martin, 1m31.450s, C4 - 77 laps
Drugovich, Aston Martin, 1m32.075s, C5 - 77 laps
Norris, McLaren, 1m32.160s, C3 - 34 laps
Gasly, Alpine, 1m32.762s, C3 - 56 laps
Albon, Williams, 1m32.793s, C5 - 136 laps
Ocon, Alpine, 1m33.257s, C3 - 73 laps
Hulkenberg, Haas, 1m33.329s, C3 - 77 laps
Piastri, McLaren, 1m33.655s, C3 - 44 laps
De Vries, AlphaTauri, 1m38.244s, C3 - 87 laps
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2023, 10:33 AM   #42
HeelToeShift
Captain
1523
Rep
807
Posts

 
Drives: Mine
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3798j View Post
Last year's pole was a 1m 30.558s, Perez just did a 1m 30.305s.
The commentary after that lap:
"Given what Verstappen was producing yesterday with the RB19 and what Perez is doing today, this display from the Red Bull team sends out an ominous warning to the rest."
Agreed. And Rus was on a softer tire yet Per time more impressive in that regard but I think all signs are pointing to some very quick RBs
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 10:34 AM   #43
MontyB1
Major
1152
Rep
1,402
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X3
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Red Bull on top again at the begging of the season.
Ferrari right up there but a little behind.
Merc and Aston look pretty good, expect Merc to out develop Aston but could see the Aston concept doing better earlier potential at some circuits.
Alpine next with a pretty solid performance.
Alfa and Alpha T will be close.
A shock McLaren looks a bit behind and struggling more than they hope, seems to be a drag issue at might be good at some circuits.
Williams likely to still be at the back with Haas a little in front of them.

Only a week to wait and it’s Quali, regardless of who you follow that has to be a good thing if you’re an F1 fan. Lights out soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 11:54 AM   #44
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Killed by Death's Avatar
10920
Rep
3,166
Posts

 
Drives: '23 X3 M40i
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
I have cousins in New England KbD so gotta go with them
Damn Yankees
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST