New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #67
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Once again this months sales are showing a significant but concerning trend for all manufacturers. We are seeing sales driven by SUVs again.
And projections show this will still continue into the next decade especially if fuel prices stay low and sustainable drivetrain SUVs continue to rise.

Of course many are new and some are nearer the end of the lifecycle.
BMWs SUV revolution is about to begin in 2017 with the all new BMW X3 and the first BMW X2. In 2018 we will see the Second Generation of BMW X4 and an all new BMW X5 followed in 2019 by the next BMW X6 and the first luxury challenger SAV from BMW the X7.

Of course this August we get the all new MINI Countryman.
And later we will see the first Luxury Plus SUV from Rolls-Royce.
      06-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #68
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Once again this months sales are showing a significant but concerning trend for all manufacturers. We are seeing sales driven by SUVs again.
And projections show this will still continue into the next decade especially if fuel prices stay low and sustainable drivetrain SUVs continue to rise.

Of course many are new and some are nearer the end of the lifecycle.
BMWs SUV revolution is about to begin in 2017 with the all new BMW X3 and the first BMW X2. In 2018 we will see the Second Generation of BMW X4 and an all new BMW X5 followed in 2019 by the next BMW X6 and the first luxury challenger SAV from BMW the X7.

Of course this August we get the all new MINI Countryman.
And later we will see the first Luxury Plus SUV from Rolls-Royce.
We're just following the BMW product cycle they have mapped out but will this get BMW's sales back up? The X3 and X5 are the volume sellers so I'd expect their sales will remain consistent to what we've seen in the past. SUV's like the X2 and X4 are more niche, it may give BMW a very minor bump but I don't see it as curing BMW's sales slump. As for Rolls Royce first SUV, that's just more of a textbook exercise and a product for the rich, it won't affect the consumer market.

Don't get me wrong, all refreshed and new models are needed but I guess what we're all thinking which model is going to get BMW that extra jolt? The CLA and A3 is that jolt for Mercedes and Audi where they're maintaining their volume sellers but adding to it. BMW just seems lost in that segment because it's either 3er/4er or bust and based on sales, right now they're in a bust trend.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #69
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

I think BMW is shortsighted with the I brand, sounds like things are on hold, again about EPS. Barrel hit above $50 and eventually you need to be a player in this place. At $2.25 a gallon, it's easy to drive a V8 like you stole it. This will come to hurt them and the CEO is shortsighted. Per today's trend, they have the highest margins, they are challenged by a potent competitors and they need to step up, many 'simple' luxury gripes with my wife's 2016 f30. And a few (but less) with my 2016 f15.

Last edited by bjcarls; 06-02-2016 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #70
tonyzale
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2016' M3, S1000R, R nineT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law
Wow BMW [cars] hasn't had a single good month in the US this year.

MAY: BMW brand sales decrease 6.4 percent
APR: BMW brand sales decrease 7.4 percent
MAR: BMW brand sales decrease 12.5 percent
FEB: BMW brand sales decrease 10.7 percent
JAN: BMW brand sales decrease 4.7 percent

YTD: -8.7%
If you only knew that actual number. Sales figures are doctored with cars being punched that are still in inventory or going in loaner service.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #71
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Wow BMW [cars] hasn't had a single good month in the US this year.

MAY: BMW brand sales decrease 6.4 percent
APR: BMW brand sales decrease 7.4 percent
MAR: BMW brand sales decrease 12.5 percent
FEB: BMW brand sales decrease 10.7 percent
JAN: BMW brand sales decrease 4.7 percent

YTD: -8.7%
It's what happens when your bread and butter car - the 3 series - is completely indistinguishable from its competition, and doesn't have the handling & feel USP of the previous generations. Go ahead and make more boring cars BMW, see where it goes next.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #72
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
Once the new G20 is out we'll see a bump. Interestingly the X3 continues to sell well despite its replacement coming out later this year
The X3 sells well because it still looks good after all these years, it's sized right and because the electronics and dash architecture are on the modern side of things. Interior looks good too, with good quality materials, and it's probably what impresses the soccer mom crowd.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #73
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
The CLA and A3 is that jolt for Mercedes and Audi where they're maintaining their volume sellers but adding to it. BMW just seems lost in that segment because it's either 3er/4er or bust and based on sales, right now they're in a bust trend.
Source: made up

https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/new...ecord-in-april

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300261882.html

A3 and CLA are down YTD 5% and 17% respectively. Like every other major car company in the US, the only things driving growth are SUV sales.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #74
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Source: made up

https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/new...ecord-in-april

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300261882.html

A3 and CLA are down YTD 5% and 17% respectively. Like every other major car company in the US, the only things driving growth are SUV sales.
The CLA and A3 may be down YTD but it doesn't ignore the fact that BMW has nothing in the segment to compete with both those cars, which is essentially sales BMW is not potentially making (combined, the A3 and CLA have sold 24,728 units). Take the CLA away from Mercedes lineup and it's highly likely Mercedes sales lead over BMW is a lot less and we're not all here talking about how Mercedes is running away with the premium/luxury market.

EDIT:

I think my wording may have confused you and why you might have misinterpreted what I said. I didn't mean the CLA and A3 bucking the trend of what's pushing the market (SUVs), what I meant was that it was something new/fresh outside of Mercedes and Audi's traditional lineup that is more affordable and reaches a broader consumer base, something BMW doesn't have (2-Series not included because of coupe body).

Last edited by TheBingoBalls; 06-03-2016 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #75
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

As these are year over year sales, couldn't this just point to a great 2015 rather than a bad 2016?

I mean they are still selling 7,000+ 3 series a month. That's as many as Subaru sells Legacys or VW sells Passats.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #76
bmwmnation
Private
Rep

Drives: e60 530i and r32 skyline gtr

Lets make a fuck ton of models, no supercar, screw our customers with a shitty new warranty plan, and hope for the best.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #77
geddylee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 X7, 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
As these are year over year sales, couldn't this just point to a great 2015 rather than a bad 2016?

I mean they are still selling 7,000+ 3 series a month. That's as many as Subaru sells Legacys or VW sells Passats.

Not when you are losing Market share to the competition every single month. That signals a much bigger problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #78
xichrisixBMW
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 BMW M328I & 2013 BMW 328i

Garage List
2016 328xi M  [0.00]
Bmw Bashers

Wow a lot of hate posted for the F30 328i.... I have one and yes it's nowhere as quick as my e90 335i but I just got back from a Boston to Harrisburg PA run and doing 80-85MPH no prob and I still got 33 MPG and still had fun the whole way
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #79
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
The X3 sells well because it still looks good after all these years, it's sized right and because the electronics and dash architecture are on the modern side of things. Interior looks good too, with good quality materials, and it's probably what impresses the soccer mom crowd.
The clue is in the name. In which you get the same philosophy and luxuries in a similar vehicle that has more status and popularity.
Its no wonder its called the X3 and GLC etc because they are extensions of the 3er and C-Klasse and as the trend implies in North America why get the sedan when I can get the SUV?
      06-06-2016, 08:05 PM   #80
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geddylee
Quote:

Not when you are losing Market share to the competition every single month. That signals a much bigger problem.
You can't win. If BMW builds Hondas to be the sales champs then people say they've lose their way and are run by accountants. If their sales go down, then they suck because they are losing market share.

Maybe building sportier riding cars compared to Mercedes is hurting them.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 07:19 AM   #81
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
You can't win. If BMW builds Hondas to be the sales champs then people say they've lose their way and are run by accountants. If their sales go down, then they suck because they are losing market share.

Maybe building sportier riding cars compared to Mercedes is hurting them.
Somewhat agree. Biggest issue I have with these threads is they seem to be coming from the side of BMW the car company which probably has far different goals than I do. Then volume is just one metric of the puzzle (GM was selling massive volume when they went bankrupt).

If they build the car I want and make reasonable profit (them "winning the profit award" really doesn't interest me either), I really don't care who wins the "volume award" for the year. Reality is if they really want to increase volume they should go down market where the volume is (7 series, supercars, i cars, all of them together can't match what a FWD 2 series sedan could sell), current market is CUV's, reality is few of these people really care about performance, steering feel, road feel or handling so they don't need to put much effort or money into them but not seeing how the overall numbers going up matter much to me as I don't get any part of the increased profits.
      06-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #82
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The clue is in the name. In which you get the same philosophy and luxuries in a similar vehicle that has more status and popularity.
Its no wonder its called the X3 and GLC etc because they are extensions of the 3er and C-Klasse and as the trend implies in North America why get the sedan when I can get the SUV?
Well at least the X3 drives well, better than the Q5 or equivalent Benz. And it's as good inside as the other two.

That is not the case with the 3 series any longer. It drives like th rest of the crowd, and the handling USP is completely gone. There is no differentiation any longer.

And Scott26, you are telling me that the brand reputation is the differentiator - but what was that reputation built on? And how much longer will it survive with so many other competitors not merely nibbling at the heels, but taking chunks out as they pass us along?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #83
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
Quote:
Well at least the X3 drives well, better than the Q5 or equivalent Benz. And it's as good inside as the other two.

That is not the case with the 3 series any longer. It drives like th rest of the crowd, and the handling USP is completely gone. There is no differentiation any longer.

And Scott26, you are telling me that the brand reputation is the differentiator - but what was that reputation built on? And how much longer will it survive with so many other competitors not merely nibbling at the heels, but taking chunks out as they pass us along?
I'll disagree. Before getting my M3, I had a nicely equipped F30 335 6MT and it drove better than its competitors in my opinion, regardless of what the magazines say. It was good looking on the inside and outside and handled very well for a sporty sedan. Quiet when it needed to be and a smooth, torquey six when you punched it. And remained solid during my ownership.

I think where BMW gets hurt is that they make super low end models with tiny wheels and plastic steering wheels and it sets a bad tone. I'd rather see them reduce the number of levels within a line and bring the standard of those cars up a notch. They are trying to be something to everyone and it's hard to build one chassis to be so many things. Compromise is a result. But quantity is what everyone wants so they have to do what they do.
Appreciate 0