New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #23
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

I had similar. A coupling on the main line into the house was faulty and filled my crawl space soon after moving in. Our water company was who noticed the extra use and contacted us. Out water bill was a bit high
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #24
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Surprisingly our water bill was only $20 more than normal, but water is dirt cheap here anyway. Our normal bill is around $35/mo.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #25
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Got the repair bill from the plumber. Only $139. I'll gladly pay that to have avoided crawling into that nasty crawlspace.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #26
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Got the repair bill from the plumber. Only $139. I'll gladly pay that to have avoided crawling into that nasty crawlspace.
Nice! better than some ridiculous $500+!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 03:04 PM   #27
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

currently just finished mowing and overseeding the lawn and adding fertilizer as well as adding new black mulch which was on sale at Home Depot for the EarthGro for $2 a bag. seems like from what the neighbors tell me the previous owners never took care of their lawn. they were estatic to see us actually out putting mulch and fertilizing the yard!

who else has house projects going on? i'm just now sealing up all my crown moulding and painting them Satin White. i'll post some pictures later
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 2
M_Six16536.50
      04-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #28
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I had a bunch of dying hedges removed and some underground drainage piping installed to move the downspout output further away from the house. I also had a bunch of trees removed. Some were dying and in danger of falling, and some were just too close to the house. The landscaper is going to bring in several truckloads of new soil and some new hedges and shrubs, plus he's going to fill a few areas with river stones and put in some sett stones. But we haven't had a decent stretch with no rain and it got even worse this weekend, so he won't be able to get in here with all that stuff for another week at least *if* it dries out some. The yard is a quagmire now.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2017, 10:02 PM   #29
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Braided washing machine line FTMFW!!!

The original bath/washer room had a small leak for years apparently. The tub cast in 1949 must have weighed 350lbs. The floor rotted and the tub slowly fell into subfloor. Now we have new joists/tile and no more mold

I did all but the joists on my own
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #30
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

So it will fail in 3...2...1...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #31
jaco
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 SSII

Rotten 2nd floor wood trim around the roof is our next project. This is the same trim that was 'fixed' when we bought the house three years ago.

2015 Chevy SS In
2011 E90 M3 DCT SSII Out
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #32
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Owning a house into Germany, especially into Bavaria a non-reachable goal, if you hadnt heritaged a suitable ground for building one. Prices are exploding around all bigger areas and just buying a flat here into our 11000 souls nest are meanwhile out of the question.
But: A goal further away is, when im going to retire within the next 15 years, to buy a pretty house up into the north of my country, thats more countryish and much more cheaper to buy.
@isturbointeg: Thats a very nice house there, right my choice for the future

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #33
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
So it will fail in 3...2...1...
Closing in on 15 years, everything still seems to be at the same level. But, that's only because we re-used the round rocks that were the foundation for those joists. . .
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #34
Maestro
Major
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Worse leak I ever had to deal with was in the brand new house.

The house had a Jacuzzi hot tube in the master bath, we and never had one so we decide to use it before heading to bed. Next morning came down stairs to make breakfast only to find the entire kitchen floor completely wet, look up and the ceiling was sagging about a foot with water dripping. Turns out the plumber who install the tub forgot to tighten all the fitting on the tub since it was the first time he ever installed a tub like this one and the manufacturer recommends the fitting be retighten after install and testing.

We called the builder since we were only in the house two months, and he came back and saw all the damage and agreed to fix everything. Lucky for us the kitchen floors was Tile and none of the HVAC vents were on the floor otherwise the water would have poured into the furnace.

The other issue was the tub did not have an access panel to the plumbing and they were thinking they would have to tear all the tiles and everything to gains access. As it turn out the water supply and motors and such were all on the wall next to the bed room so they could gain access to what the need from there.

There was thousands of $ in damage and took the builder a week to repair dry out and repair everything. Beyond this, I had only minor faucet leaks and such. I personally hate doing plumbing repairs, I can do everything else on my house and have but when it comes to plumbing, I always end up with leaks after I am done.
Appreciate 1
AIRPOWER1682.50
      05-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #35
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Surprisingly our water bill was only $20 more than normal, but water is dirt cheap here anyway. Our normal bill is around $35/mo.
I imagine you do not have people coming to your house reading the meter anymore. Like everyone else you probably have an wireless electronic meter who phone home your usage. I wonder if there is some sort of setting on the meet that sends a message to the water company that say the water is flowing at an unusual rate. I doubt they looking at each person bill and letting them know something might be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #36
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I imagine you do not have people coming to your house reading the meter anymore. Like everyone else you probably have an wireless electronic meter who phone home your usage. I wonder if there is some sort of setting on the meet that sends a message to the water company that say the water is flowing at an unusual rate. I doubt they looking at each person bill and letting them know something might be wrong.
There are all kinds of warnings read electronically these days. Trickles (water constantly running 24x7x365) as well as the utility usually sets volume threshholds in changes. If you use x% more or less than last month, a letter is generated. If the volume is negative, it triggers a re-read. If it's still negative, usually the POPO get involved.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 06:21 PM   #37
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Worse leak I ever had to deal with was in the brand new house.

The house had a Jacuzzi hot tube in the master bath, we and never had one so we decide to use it before heading to bed. Next morning came down stairs to make breakfast only to find the entire kitchen floor completely wet, look up and the ceiling was sagging about a foot with water dripping. Turns out the plumber who install the tub forgot to tighten all the fitting on the tub since it was the first time he ever installed a tub like this one and the manufacturer recommends the fitting be retighten after install and testing.

We called the builder since we were only in the house two months, and he came back and saw all the damage and agreed to fix everything. Lucky for us the kitchen floors was Tile and none of the HVAC vents were on the floor otherwise the water would have poured into the furnace.

The other issue was the tub did not have an access panel to the plumbing and they were thinking they would have to tear all the tiles and everything to gains access. As it turn out the water supply and motors and such were all on the wall next to the bed room so they could gain access to what the need from there.

There was thousands of $ in damage and took the builder a week to repair dry out and repair everything. Beyond this, I had only minor faucet leaks and such. I personally hate doing plumbing repairs, I can do everything else on my house and have but when it comes to plumbing, I always end up with leaks after I am done.
man that sucked! good thing he said he would fix it but just dealing with it really sux!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #38
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
when we bought the house the water company came by to turn the water on and noticed that our system did not have the updated transmitters so he ended up installing them that way meters are read without having a meter guy walking around the neighborhood.

my issue now is i've been looking into our sprinkler system and according to the neighbors cost to use the sprinkler system during say the summertime when there's not much rain cost go anywhere from $600-$1000! also, i saw a receipt from the previous owners sitting on the water sprinkler control panel and i saw for Winterization $6700! now i don't know if that's just money owed throughout the year or if that's what it cost to winterize. i'm afraid to even turn the sprinklers on but i really need to know where all the sprinkler heads are so i can flag them before aerating the yard any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:05 PM   #39
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Always have a floor drain in your laundry room.
^^ This ^^ but if don't have a drain get one of those Liner/shallow tub trays from Lower/Home Depot and put a audible water sensing alarm in it.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #40
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely remotely read. When I turned the water off at the meter, I had to scrape the crud off the meter glass to see if the little wheel had stopped spinning. The plumber told us we were his second stop that day because of a phone call from the water company telling an owner about unusual usage.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 06:33 AM   #41
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 13 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
when we bought the house the water company came by to turn the water on and noticed that our system did not have the updated transmitters so he ended up installing them that way meters are read without having a meter guy walking around the neighborhood.

my issue now is i've been looking into our sprinkler system and according to the neighbors cost to use the sprinkler system during say the summertime when there's not much rain cost go anywhere from $600-$1000! also, i saw a receipt from the previous owners sitting on the water sprinkler control panel and i saw for Winterization $6700! now i don't know if that's just money owed throughout the year or if that's what it cost to winterize. i'm afraid to even turn the sprinklers on but i really need to know where all the sprinkler heads are so i can flag them before aerating the yard any ideas?
wow, my winterization costs $67, and frankly all they do is blow out the water and turn it off. I can't imagine what they could possibly do that would cost $6700, unless they remove the system entirely and then reinstall it.

As for the $600-$1000, maybe they watered every day for hours? I run mine 3 days per week for about 2 hours and that's plenty in the summer. My increase is only about $100/month.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #42
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
There are all kinds of warnings read electronically these days. Trickles (water constantly running 24x7x365) as well as the utility usually sets volume threshholds in changes. If you use x% more or less than last month, a letter is generated. If the volume is negative, it triggers a re-read. If it's still negative, usually the POPO get involved.
Never really thought about it, but with the new systems it can be easily done. I know the electric companies can do the same things and if they see peoples usage go way up they usually let the Police know since it could be a grow house. They could do the same with water since most grow house put in watering systems.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #43
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

Around us, if you are going to have a watering system, most everyone puts in a separate water meter just for the sprinkler system. Reason being it is not the water bill that kills you it is the sewage bill which goes way up since they multiply your water usage to calculate the amount of waste water, the number is more than what comes out of your house since they have to use clear water to dilute the waste water before they clean it all. I know the extra meter is $1500 to install, the meter is only a few hundred $ but the water company knows they loose out on extra sewage $ when people do this so they make it expensive to buy. They also require the second meter to be inspected from time to time to make sure people are not using it for anything buy watering their lawns.

To put in a watering system for my place it was going to cost me $10K, plus water usage. I even have a natural spring on my property and lots of water comes up from the ground and the Environmental Police in the town will not allow me to use ground water to water my lawn since it was a protect wet land. Did not know I had protect wet lands on my property. The town runs the well and water and sewage system so they have interest in letting people get off cheap.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #44
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4nut View Post
wow, my winterization costs $67, and frankly all they do is blow out the water and turn it off. I can't imagine what they could possibly do that would cost $6700, unless they remove the system entirely and then reinstall it.

As for the $600-$1000, maybe they watered every day for hours? I run mine 3 days per week for about 2 hours and that's plenty in the summer. My increase is only about $100/month.
Water where I live is expensive too. My neighbors watered daily over the summer for their newly laid sod after they moved in. One month water bill was $3,500. Apparently my suburb does not differentiate between sewage and non sewage usage like all of the other suburbs around us.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0