New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Automatics

Well I'm delving in to my f150 automatic transmission, this is scary new territory for me but I want to give rebuilding it a go. I have quite a few trucks that need trans fairly often due to how hard they work so this would be handy knowledge to gain. Heavy duty upgraded parts are only $400 instead of the $2500 a shop wants for a rebuild. Seems like a good gamble to me. Have it half way out already and all is going swimmingly. If this works then up next will be my old Jetta TDI. Have any of you ever given an auto rebuild a shot?
Appreciate 2
      04-01-2017, 10:02 PM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 228iX & M2C

You need a surgically clean workspace, and be very detailed about all those little bits and where they go (an instructional video would help, and take photos of everything as you disassemble). One missing 'BB' is all it takes. FWIW every person I've ever known to try this ended up paying somebody in the long run, but I have heard others talk of it being do-able - not as much reliance on machine shop, like for a motor. And what's the harm if the tranny is already broken, worst case is you are back to a shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #3
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
You need a surgically clean workspace, and be very detailed about all those little bits and where they go (an instructional video would help, and take photos of everything as you disassemble). One missing 'BB' is all it takes. FWIW every person I've ever known to try this ended up paying somebody in the long run, but I have heard others talk of it being do-able - not as much reliance on machine shop, like for a motor. And what's the harm if the tranny is already broken, worst case is you are back to a shop.
Exactly. Luckily my father is a retired precision tool and die maker who is very particular about detail and cleanliness so hopefully that will help. I'm hoping that by enlisting his help and guidance this project will go smooth. He has rebuilt many things in the past and so have I but transmissions is a new territory completely for me. Will update how it turns out for good or bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 03:06 AM   #4
DSB335d
Captain
Rep

Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

There are quite a few necessary specialty tools needed for automatic transmission disassembly/re-assembly.
I've only tore 1 down completely and that was in automotive school. Where the instructor proceeds to re-arrange your bench making a mess of shit and then you are allowed to re-assemble. Although having the repair manual to the transmission is available & necessary. I put it back together and it passed on the transmission dyno the first try.
I've changed other parts during my short career as an automotive technician i.e. valve bodies, computers, torque converters etc..

I don't recall rebuilding one to be that difficult, although time consuming and tedious yes.

Have plenty of workspace available, inspect each part as you remove it, and put them in order/set aside worn parts & replace with new as you go. It's just a messy puzzle with a few heavy pieces.

Good luck
Appreciate 1
wdb4716.50
      04-16-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

We went with a rebuild. Didn't have the time to wait. However I did take it out and put it back in, not fun. Works great now and didn't break the bank.
Appreciate 1
DSB335d1321.50