New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #133
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Fantastic looking W203
Thanks jstein! I miss her a lot actually.

She was the perfect daily driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Your experience with your W203 is my experience with BMW despite all the fears of reliability during the 90's and early 2000's. Perhaps I got lucky but it's why I continue to drive BMW's including owning a R56 which has been pretty reliable despite others experiences.

BMW's has been and continues to be good to me, as long as they have something that I like whether it's a 2er, 3er, 5er, I will continue to drive BMW's.
You know, I discovered a lot of it is just dependant on care. A car (any car really) will reward its owner by being a reliable workhorse, so long as you put the effort into making sure that it's well-taken care of.

In the 12 years I had my Benz, I did 3000K oil changes, full synth, and only quality brands such as AMSOIL, Mobil 1, etc. kept her detailed once a week, only used OEM parts when needed, garage kept it as much as possible (or used a car cover when it wasn't).

I never allowed it to ever get to the point where it just started to "rot" and decay, by just neglecting it and just driving her into the ground.

Seemed to work pretty well, because it never gave me any problems whatsoever.

The ONLY reason I went to BMW and didn't stick with MB is because I started to really dislike their exterior/interior design. They moved away from traditional design to where they are now.
I agree with doing your own upkeep. How I maintain and treat my BMW's was how I treated the Mercedes - just so happens that the Mercedes I had were just duds.

I think I would still be driving Mercedes if it wasn't for terrible ownership experience. When you have to keep going back to Mercedes and they can't fix the problem, it's when you have to just cut ties and move on.

Obviously things are different now than back then but another reason why I'm willing to stick with BMW is because of the community and support - something Mercedes and Audi don't even come close to. It's reassuring to quickly come here and get a solution to fix an issue something you couldn't find with Mercedes and Audi where the typical response is "I don't know" or "back to the dealer it goes".
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 08:14 PM   #134
itsTwigs
Vroomthusiast
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 E92 M3/21 Toyota Tacoma OR

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2021 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
Why they lying 😂
      06-29-2020, 09:47 AM   #135
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Look at how low Mercedes is
      06-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #136
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Drives: '24 G83 M4C xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Interesting. I have a c230 beater that got 360,000 miles out of the original motor before I needed a replacement (...and I could have just replaced the bad lifters instead, but decided on a new motor). That's pretty damn reliable if you ask me.
I wonder if the powertrains in the current A-Class are built and designed with that kind of reliability in mind?

I feel the A-Class today is the closest thing to what the C230 Kompressor was back in the day.
Probably not, although the 3.0L V6 their phasing out seems pretty bulletproof, but for 4-cylinders not too sure. A lot of experimentation is happening at MB/AMG from mild-hybrids, to electric superchargers and high output 4-cylinders. While cool and very interesting likely will require high maintenance down the line, which is why I lease mine as long term reliability of the new engines is a question mark at the moment. Most cars now a day seem to be designed for the 36-month lease more than anything. As for the A-Class as a whole, the quality of the car is terrible, mainly due to the specific plant that its built at (the Compas Nissan Daimler Plant in Mexico). That car especially similar to a 2GC or 320i is built as a lease machine for new customers with cost-cutting in mind.

Only companies that really seem to really design cars in mind that can run over 200k miles seems to be Toyota, but that's more because they are also using older that has been proven rather than experimenting and spending money building, or using new technology, only recently have they started to adopt to the idea of turbo engines in their cars.
My wife has had a 2016 C450 AMG (W205) with the 3.0l V6 for 5 years and about 48k on the clock and not one issue yet (knock on metal). Great car so far.
Attached Images

Gone but not forgotten:'22 G82 M4Comp xDrive, '21 F90 M5 Comp,'19 Porsche 911 C4S, 15 Audi RS5, etc..
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      06-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #137
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Chevy and Ford should be much lower IMO

Ford is just bad, making parts for a model that should be revealed soon and they are still changing the part.

Not talking about testing it at all. Lol
Imagine thinking BMW quality in 2020 is better than Ford and Chevy.

Pretty on par.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #138
blvvet
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2019 Z4 M40i

JD power can't be trusted.
Appreciate 0