New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3

BMW and Jaguar Land Rover Join Forces to Develop Next Gen Electric Drive Technology

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW and Jaguar Land Rover Join Forces to Develop Next Gen Electric Drive Technology
COMMENTS

June 5, 2019

Munich.
As it develops its plans for the mobility of the future, the BMW Group is increasingly focusing on co-operations to help make next-level electrification technology more widely available to customers by the start of the coming decade.

Cooperation between car manufacturers to share know-how and resources is important as the automotive industry tackles the significant technological challenges of autonomous driving, connectivity, electrification and services (ACES).

After three years of Strategy NUMBER ONE > NEXT, the BMW Group remains firmly on track, having established a strong position as one of the world's top providers of e-mobility. The BMW Group is leading the global premium market with the largest portfolio of electrified vehicles and the biggest market share among traditional luxury rivals.

Highly-integrated electric drive train

The BMW Group and Jaguar Land Rover today confirmed they are joining forces to develop next generation electric drive units in a move that supports the advancement of electrification technologies necessary to transition to an ACES future.

The BMW Group and Jaguar Land Rover share the same strategic vision of environmentally-friendly and future-oriented electric drive technologies. The BMW Group brings long experience of developing and producing several generations of electric drive units in-house since it launched the pioneering BMW i3 in 2013. Jaguar Land Rover has demonstrated its capability with this technology through the launch of the Jaguar I-Pace and its plug-in hybrid models.

The BMW Group’s most sophisticated electrified technology to date features an electric motor, transmission and power electronics in one housing. This electric motor does not require rare earths, enabling the BMW Group to reduce its dependence on their availability as it continues to systematically broaden its range of electrified models.

Starting next year, the BMW Group will introduce this electric drive unit, the fifth generation (“Gen 5”) of its eDrive technology, with the BMW iX3 Sports Activity Vehicle. The Gen 5 electric drive unit will be the propulsion system upon which subsequent evolutions launched together with Jaguar Land Rover will be based.

“The automotive industry is undergoing a steep transformation. We see collaboration as a key for success, also in the field of electrification. With Jaguar Land Rover, we found a partner whose requirements for the future generation of electric drive units significantly match ours. Together, we have the opportunity to cater more effectively for customer needs by shortening development time and bringing vehicles and state-of-the-art technologies more rapidly to market,” said Klaus Fröhlich, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Development.

The cooperation allows the BMW Group and Jaguar Land Rover to take advantage of cost efficiencies arising from shared development of future evolutions and production planning costs as well as economies of scale from joint purchasing.

A joint team of BMW Group and Jaguar Land Rover experts located in Munich will be tasked with further developing the Gen 5 power units with production of the electric drivetrains to be undertaken by each partner in their own manufacturing facilities. Both companies will seek to adhere to their own brand-specific propositions in any project.

Technology openness

The development of multiple new technologies is required for the company to meet customer and regulatory requirements around the world, which often vary by market. This means that the BMW Group will continue to improve its combustion engines, while also pushing forward the e-mobility strategy with both battery-electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids and investing in new technologies such as fuel–cell powertrains.

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
jphcbpa
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2022 M550i & 2023 X7 40i

Excellent news. Hopefully they will produce the size, range and luxury in an EV in a price range for the masses. This is the future.
Appreciate 2
      06-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Range is EVERYTHING!

Time for BMW to step up and join the growing crowd! (200+ miles)
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13117.00
The_Werm212.00
      06-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
///M TOWN
Rep

Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Range is EVERYTHING!

Absolutely spot on ❗️
      06-06-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Range is EVERYTHING!

The iNext and i4 are both supposed to be over 600 km. So it is already coming.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Quote:
Range is EVERYTHING!

The iNext and i4 are both supposed to be over 600 km. So it is already coming.
Not soon enough.

The entire world will have reinvented itself by the time they actually come to market.
      06-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #7
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Nobody can still figure out ( or don't want to ) what Nikola Tesla said: You can send wirelessly power to charge while in motion!!!
K-M390.50
      06-06-2019, 12:59 PM   #8
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Not soon enough.

The entire world will have reinvented itself by the time they actually come to market.
Nothing is being reinvented until solid state battery technology is ready to go. It will render all current cars and their battery packs ancient tech.
Appreciate 2
      06-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #9
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Nobody can still figure out ( or don't want to ) what Nikola Tesla said: You can send wirelessly power to charge while in motion!!!
That will come when everyone is onboard with EV's as a major part of their portfolio/product line.

The infrastructure will need to seriously be built out in various ways.
      06-06-2019, 01:05 PM   #10
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Quote:
Not soon enough.

Nothing is being reinvented until solid state battery technology is ready to go. It will render all current cars and their battery packs ancient tech.
SS is coming soon enough.

Battery tech is no excuse to wait or BMW can seriously kiss many of their customers goodbye.
      06-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #11
Ras550
Private
Rep

Drives: Now:3P, Then:335xi,330ZHP,540i

Quote:
Not soon enough.

Exactly. If it was already coming, there would be no need for the Jaguar partnership.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      06-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #12
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep

Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Wow, a less likely partner than jaguar... i'm suprised, why not extend the work with MB?!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:47 PM   #13
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep

Drives: X5 35d

What now they are working on "next generation" electric tech. So what does the i4 have in it?? Last generation tech. How about they put out something THIS generation !! BMW is so far behind the curve on this one. They have waited way to long to throw their their hat in the ring I. A serious manner. The i3 is the joke of the electric car world. Focused to much on style and not enough on substance. Feels like their commercials these days. Cars are being marketed to supermodels and shallow people who care more about appearances than performance. Too bad because I really have enjoyed my time as a BMW owner but they are just falling behind.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #14
MasterP
Colonel
Rep

Drives: All the M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
Wow, a less likely partner than jaguar... i'm suprised, why not extend the work with MB?!
So JLR already has a PEV (I-Pace), the next gen XJ will be a PEV as well. So they're further ahead on the PEV than MB is since their EQ PEV is still in concept/pre-production stage. I'm also thinking the Magna Steyr in Austria connection between JLR and BMW makes more sense than MB since the I-Pace is already being assembled there.

Lastly, the I-Pace is easily the most interesting EV to drive so as far as dynamics that partnership for BMW is likely a better option.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #15
cwulffy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30

Jaguar = shit
Appreciate 3
MmmmmM22578.00
KRS_SN13104.50
M2taz81.50