New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-14-2009, 12:17 AM   #155
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan0102 View Post
MB navi is seriously lacking IMO, but so is BMW's.

Can't do it like japan I guess. But if you seriously need traffic update just get a TomTom or something...
fwiw, the 2009 E63 nav was DRAMATICALLY upgraded. I have live traffic (saved my butt many times with LA freeway driving) and VC is much improved. You can now do pretty much everything hands free with the new enhanced VC. The system is also HDD based with 4GB loadable music register (via flash media) New interface, etc.. Nav POIs also have Zagat restaurant ratings. I can use VC to find a restaurant, pull up the number and call for a reservation, and plug it into the Nav for directions and all hands-free.

Don't know why they didn't upgrade the C Class, but no doubt to keep the difference between E, S, and C Classes, etc..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #156
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
fwiw, the 2009 E63 nav was DRAMATICALLY upgraded. I have live traffic (saved my butt many times with LA freeway driving) and VC is much improved. You can now do pretty much everything hands free with the new enhanced VC. The system is also HDD based with 4GB loadable music register (via flash media) New interface, etc.. Nav POIs also have Zagat restaurant ratings. I can use VC to find a restaurant, pull up the number and call for a reservation, and plug it into the Nav for directions and all hands-free.

Don't know why they didn't upgrade the C Class, but no doubt to keep the difference between E, S, and C Classes, etc..
They DID; I have all of this (including a 6GB GraceNote Music Register HDD), except the live traffic. My MB C63's Voice Command for Navi, Telephone, Audio/Video Media, etc. is SO much better than my '07 BMW 335i's...it had me do a quick 3-minute learning session with it (with a series of words and numbers), so I could train it to my voice, and so far, it's been working 100% perfectly (been using a lot for navi, telephone, and satellite radio)! My BMW 335i voice command only understood me about 40% of the time.

The MB C63's POI lookups are also much easier and it actually finds the places I'm looking for, unlike my 335i's Navi system, which was just horrible. Plus, the MB C63's 7" screen resolution is excellent; reminds me of my older Infiniti Navi system.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |

Last edited by sflgator; 08-14-2009 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #157
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 SO M4

So live traffic overlay on navigation and keyless start are the major missing items?

What else is there that I am missing?
      08-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #158
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domobrown View Post
Well, I was originally supposed to put an order down for a new C350 this past Monday. I test drove the 350 and found myself content. For fun, my friend (and salesman) was joking around and told me to test drive the C63 they had on the lot. Bad idea, as soon as I turned on the engine, I was tickled. It was beyond my budget, but when the test drive was done, I could justify its price. No more 330ci for me, I'll post pics of this beast later. I never thought I'd be owning this car, but it made the C350 look like a punk. It seems like this is the route everybody is taking haha
From the recent article I posted a link to...

"It is as though the 63 met the innocent C-class, took it on a bender and de-flowered it. The brilliant noise provides this C-class with serious character. Previous experience in Mercedes-Benz’s products left me yearning for more as they came off as uninspired and isolated automobiles – the 63 could not be more disparate.

Comparing the AMG to the standard C-class is like comparing apples and oranges. They are not even in the same league, forget about the ballpark. There are a number of improvements on the C63 that speak to the gravity AMG brings to the table."

Congrats on your new C63 AMG...you're going to LOVE it!

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #159
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
So live traffic overlay on navigation and keyless start are the major missing items?

What else is there that I am missing?
No "Keyless Go" (keyless entry and push button start), no real-time traffic, no radar-guided cruise control (which I had on my BMW 335i..."BMW active cruise control") and no folding mirrors (which MB decided to give the C63 AMG for the rest of the world, except the U.S. ).

btw -- the MB Keyless Go will be an option for the 2010 C63 AMG as will a back-up camera I believe...go figure. And, MB of course has the radar-guided cruise control (MB "Adaptive Cruise Control"), but it's just not offered in the C63 AMG for some reason, unless they have it available for the rest of the world and/or in the 2010 MY C63????

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #160
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep

oh there is no keyless anything?

I was looking over the manual for the 2009 C-class and they mentioned keyless entry...
      08-14-2009, 08:16 AM   #161
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
oh there is no keyless anything?

I was looking over the manual for the 2009 C-class and they mentioned keyless entry...
They are referring to the 3-button keyfob; yeah, I know...you'll just have to get used to taking out your keyfob again, sticking it in the dash, and cranking it. But, at least when that's done and she starts up, you hear that monsterous AMG exhaust rumble, and you quickly forget what your car is missing!

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #162
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
They are referring to the 3-button keyfob; yeah, I know...you'll just have to get used to taking out your keyfob again, sticking it in the dash, and cranking it. But, at least when that's done and she starts up, you hear that monsterous AMG exhaust rumble, and you quickly forget what your car is missing!

Damn, I hate waiting for shit... LOL
      08-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #163
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
They are referring to the 3-button keyfob; yeah, I know...you'll just have to get used to taking out your keyfob again, sticking it in the dash, and cranking it.
Life is hard
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #164
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Life is hard
When you are a lazy guy like me, then yes, pressing buttons and stuff is difficult.
      08-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #165
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Guys, I cannot believe that this thread (which I started just 2 weeks ago) has had > 6,100 views. I never imagined that this thread would blow up like this in such a short time on the BMW E90Post Forum; I probably won't even visit here too often after this thread has dissipated. I guess since I've been such an active member on E90Post since 10/06 (and one of Shiv's original beta piggyback testers in 12/06), that I felt compelled to share my recent transaction and switch from my BMW 335i (which I really did love btw) to an MB C63 AMG. Anyway, thanks again guys for making this so much fun!

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #166
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Guys, I cannot believe that this thread (which I started just 2 weeks ago) has had > 6,100 views. I never imagined that this thread would blow up like this in such a short time on the BMW E90Post Forum; I probably won't even visit here too often after this thread has dissipated. I guess since I've been such an active member on E90Post since 10/06 (and one of Shiv's original beta piggyback testers in 12/06), that I felt compelled to share my recent transaction and switch from my BMW 335i (which I really did love btw) to an MB C63 AMG. Anyway, thanks again guys for making this so much fun!
The ego is strong with this one.

I am certain that the interest in this thread has more to do with the C63, and less to do with you personally, and nothing to do with you being a tester for Shiv
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #167
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
They DID; I have all of this (including a 6GB GraceNote Music Register HDD), except the live traffic. My MB C63's Voice Command for Navi, Telephone, Audio/Video Media, etc. is SO much better than my '07 BMW 335i's...it had me do a quick 3-minute learning session with it (with a series of words and numbers), so I could train it to my voice, and so far, it's been working 100% perfectly (been using a lot for navi, telephone, and satellite radio)! My BMW 335i voice command only understood me about 40% of the time.

The MB C63's POI lookups are also much easier and it actually finds the places I'm looking for, unlike my 335i's Navi system, which was just horrible. Plus, the MB C63's 7" screen resolution is excellent; reminds me of my older Infiniti Navi system.
Okay, that makes sense. I was replying to Bryan0102's post about MB nav as "seriously lacking." And since he was talking to you, I just assumed the C was also lacking the major upgrade.

Have you called Sirius/XM for live traffic add-on service? It's thru them and it appears on the nav screen as car icons (density) and then when you select 'traffic' under nav, it spells out all the freeways, highways, and what's going on traffic-wise, etc.. I kind of doubt it's just an E Class option(?)

Too bad about no Keyless Go. That's odd they left it out. I can't live without it. I used to have an older S-Class that had a Keyless card system. It was the size of a credit card and you just kept it in your wallet. Wish they still had that. Isn't the the 2010 C63 going to have the Keyless Go option?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #168
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Too bad about no Keyless Go. That's odd they left it out. I can't live without it. I used to have an older S-Class that had a Keyless card system. It was the size of a credit card and you just kept it in your wallet. Wish they still had that. Isn't the the 2010 C63 going to have the Keyless Go option?
Yes the 2010 model will have this option.
      08-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #169
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:

I am certain that the interest in this thread has more to do with the C63, and less to do with you personally, and nothing to do with you being a tester for Shiv
How do you read that in what he said

He simply stated his excitement about a new purchase (to be expected; read all the 'my new car' posts that are posted daily here) and said he felt "compelled" to share his lateral move from BMW to MB since he's been involved with the board, Shiv, and BMWs for the past 3 years. And that he "loved" his Bimmer.

What's it got to do with his ego?

(OT: Real enthusiasts are never real fanboys. We tend to talk a lot about the car(s) we currently own, and are proud/happy to have them, but also understand the pros and cons of all cars, and respect other makes. Because we've owned all the other makes at one time or another. And we will own other makes in the future.)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #170
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I am certain that the interest in this thread has more to do with the C63, and less to do with you personally, and nothing to do with you being a tester for Shiv:thumbsup:
That's what I was referring to, genius. And, no, my ego is not large by any means, although I do have plenty of self-confidence.

It's just that I've kind of been through it all here (in terms of the new N54 F/I tt engine in the 335i)...been involved in many good discussions about N54 tuning , had some interesting, heated discussions with Terry, watched even more heated discussions between Shiv and Terry unfold , saw Terry banned and allowed back and banned again , I was a beta tester for Shiv's original XEDE piggyback before he dumped it for his own PROcede, etc.

My tuned my 335i went something like this...XEDE -> PROcede V1 -> PROcede V2 -> PROcede V3, then added a controversial aFe DCI and SwoopScoops, then went back to the oem stock intake, etc. No big ego...just a lot of tinkering and having fun (on the road and on E90Post) with my '07 335i for the past 3 years.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #171
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
How do you read that in what he said

He simply stated his excitement about a new purchase (to be expected; read all the 'my new car' posts that are posted daily here) and said he felt "compelled" to share his lateral move from BMW to MB since he's been involved with the board, Shiv, and BMWs for the past 3 years. And that he "loved" his Bimmer.

What's it got to do with his ego?

(OT: Real enthusiasts are never real fanboys. We tend to talk a lot about the car(s) we currently own, and are proud/happy to have them, but also understand the pros and cons of all cars, and respect other makes. Because we've owned all the other makes at one time or another. And we will own other makes in the future.)
+1. Exactly...well said. Thank you.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #172
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
No "Keyless Go" (keyless entry and push button start), no real-time traffic, no radar-guided cruise control (which I had on my BMW 335i..."BMW active cruise control") and no folding mirrors (which MB decided to give the C63 AMG for the rest of the world, except the U.S. ).

btw -- the MB Keyless Go will be an option for the 2010 C63 AMG as will a back-up camera I believe...go figure. And, MB of course has the radar-guided cruise control (MB "Adaptive Cruise Control"), but it's just not offered in the C63 AMG for some reason, unless they have it available for the rest of the world and/or in the 2010 MY C63????
Weird. Our C63 has folding mirrors.

I kinda like the twist key fob. For one, the fob itself feels twice as solid. And two, twisting that thing to life is so...eventful. It just feels right.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #173
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Weird. Our C63 has folding mirrors.

I kinda like the twist key fob. For one, the fob itself feels twice as solid. And two, twisting that thing to life is so...eventful. It just feels right.
I take it you have an '08 MB C63 AMG, right? MB "bastards" removed the folding mirrors for MY '09 for some unknown reason!!!! Watch, they'll probably bring the folding mirrors back to the C-class for MY '10.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #174
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
I take it you have an '08 MB C63 AMG, right? MB "bastards" removed the folding mirrors for MY '09 for some unknown reason!!!! Watch, they'll probably bring the folding mirrors back to the C-class for MY '10.
wtf that's so random. lol yeah ours is an '08.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #175
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
wtf that's so random. lol yeah ours is an '08.
Eh, BMW does the same thing...they tossed the Sparkling Graphite (which was a very popular color) as a color choice for the 3-series, and they'll probably bring it back soon. It's all very annoying, imho.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #176
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: A Widebody 92

My friend is in the process of selling his C class and picking up a C63 and going the evosport route.. Congrats!
Appreciate 0