Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-21-2020, 08:04 PM   #1
tayone415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 228i

Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) experiences?

I found a ding on my roof the other day that appeared sometime between 6 PM and 10 AM. Not sure if it was caused by an animal or a person living in my house as my car was parked in the driveway. I've got several estimates, by pictures through texts only, ranging from $150-300, with some businesses matching or lowering their prices. I've only had PDR done once and at the cost of the dealership, and the work was probably only about 80% removed according to the guy who did the work. I'm currently shopping not just for the best price, but looking at online reviews and before and after pictures.

Anyone have experiences with PDR?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 08:30 PM   #2
Burrcold
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

It 100% depends on how they have to remove it, location of the dent, any creases, etc. Nobody here is going to be able to say if it's a good price or not. If you are particular about the outcome, ask to see some of their work (often they will have before and after pics etc). I've had some pretty gnarly dents on previous cars and the most I've ever paid was $150...smaller dents were usually $80. My guy can get almost any dent repaired to 99%
2018 Audi S5 Coupe - Sold
2018 Lexus IS350 F Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
tayone415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
It 100% depends on how they have to remove it, location of the dent, any creases, etc. Nobody here is going to be able to say if it's a good price or not. If you are particular about the outcome, ask to see some of their work (often they will have before and after pics etc). I've had some pretty gnarly dents on previous cars and the most I've ever paid was $150...smaller dents were usually $80. My guy can get almost any dent repaired to 99%

I believe I mentioned it was on the roof, but there's no creases and no scratches or chips. It's about a dime size?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #4
PYE46M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

that looks like something that can be glue pulled from the outside. there is no way to get in from the inside without taking the headliner off which is probably why it costs more.

I think $75 is the normal price if they're able to glue pull it. I wouldnt pay $150-$300. that is a RIP OFF
      05-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #5
tayone415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
that looks like something that can be glue pulled from the outside. there is no way to get in from the inside without taking the headliner off which is probably why it costs more.

I think $75 is the normal price if they're able to glue pull it. I wouldnt pay $150-$300. that is a RIP OFF
Quotes:

1st $150 estimate
2nd $200 said he would match $150 after I mentioned their listed discount online
3rd $200 no match
4th $225-250 said he was happy being at that price above most
5th $250if he could get it out and asked what other quotes I got, said maybe he could do $150
6th My Body Shop asked their PDR guy $300, told me try to look elsewhere
7th $225 than offered $185 after telling them I'm waiting on other quotes said the work would be under 1.5 hrs

I'm not sure how all of them were planning to get to the dent? One guy wanted me to take a picture with the sunroof open and opening of the sunroof to see if he could get in that way the one that quoted me $225-250.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:37 PM   #6
Burrcold
Major
Canada
Rep

That looks easy. Glue pull...tap down...paint correction if you want to smooth out the tap marks. I would not pay more than $100 for that but your quotes seem pretty consistent.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:43 PM   #7
PYE46M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayone415 View Post
Quotes:

1st $150 estimate
2nd $200 said he would match $150 after I mentioned their listed discount online
3rd $200 no match
4th $225-250 said he was happy being at that price above most
5th $250if he could get it out and asked what other quotes I got, said maybe he could do $150
6th My Body Shop asked their PDR guy $300, told me try to look elsewhere
7th $225 than offered $185 after telling them I'm waiting on other quotes said the work would be under 1.5 hrs

I'm not sure how all of them were planning to get to the dent? One guy wanted me to take a picture with the sunroof open and opening of the sunroof to see if he could get in that way the one that quoted me $225-250.
To sum it up. California. greedy ass bastards who rather charge insane prices than do any work.

Had my entire car PDR’d for a flat fee of $200. Had about 5-6. 3 of which were just like yours and glue pulled from the outside, one in particular above the rear passenger glass Checkout my thread about my E92.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:49 PM   #8
tayone415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That looks easy. Glue pull...tap down...paint correction if you want to smooth out the tap marks. I would not pay more than $100 for that but your quotes seem pretty consistent.
I thought about buying a PDR kit a month or two ago, but read multiple reviews of people pulling their paint off, and with my luck that'd be me too. Lot's of things I try either goes wrong or doesn't work. I recently did some paint correction, because I had two bird droppings on my car that didn't look at all like one and ignored it for a day, and it etched in. So I wet sanded it and polished and waxed it and it went ok, it wasn't 100% gone, but that built too much confidence I ruined my trunk, car is now at the shop. After buying supplies and wasting time. Just like when I replaced my iDrive head unit, I said $200-250, but I left some scratches in my program numbers and cracked a tab of one of the harnesses.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #9
tayone415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To sum it up. California. greedy ass bastards who rather charge insane prices than do any work.

Had my entire car PDR’d for a flat fee of $200. Had about 5-6. 3 of which were just like yours and glue pulled from the outside, one in particular above the rear passenger glass Checkout my thread about my E92.
Some asked what's the year, make and model, usually their quotes were higher obviously right. Funny thing is some of these business advertised lower rates because of COVID-19.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 09:33 AM   #10
GenXer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
I've had excellent experiences with PDR from minor ding to major dent. As long as there's no crease in the metal, they can do wonders.
Appreciate 2
heavyD^21163.00

05-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
BrettKA7
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
I found a ding on my roof the other day that appeared sometime between 6 PM and 10 AM. Not sure if it was caused by an animal or a person living in my house as my car was parked in the driveway. I've got several estimates, by pictures through texts only, ranging from $150-300, with some businesses matching or lowering their prices. I've only had PDR done once and at the cost of the dealership, and the work was probably only about 80% removed according to the guy who did the work. I'm currently shopping not just for the best price, but looking at online reviews and before and after pictures.

Anyone have experiences with PDR?
Where are you in CA?

I have a guy in Orange County who is not the cheapest, but it quite simply the best. His business is called Level Paintless Dent Removal.

Wish I still had the full res photos but just pulled these off Yelp. This was my 2007 Acura TL-S when a bicyclist fell on top of my street parked car.
Attached Images

05-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #12
tayone415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
Where are you in CA?

I have a guy in Orange County who is not the cheapest, but it quite simply the best. His business is called Level Paintless Dent Removal.

Wish I still had the full res photos but just pulled these off Yelp. This was my 2007 Acura TL-S when a bicyclist fell on top of my street parked car.
I'm in the SF Bay Area and in the part where parts and prices are more expensive to make things worse.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #13
rlmesq
Major
Rep

Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

My PDR guy in Chico is an artist.

PDR done badly is worse than nothing. If they don't do it right, it can leave the "repaired" area cobbled with lots of little bumps. Last time I was there, he had a Subaru WRX that another shop had done. Because the first guy did it badly, it was more expensive to get it done right.

https://bodylinespdr.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #14
Burrcold
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post

PDR done badly is worse than nothing. If they don't do it right, it can leave the "repaired" area cobbled with lots of little bumps. Last time I was there, he had a Subaru WRX that another shop had done. Because the first guy did it badly, it was more expensive to get it done right.

You definitely need to find "a guy". Once you establish a relationship with a "PDR artist" they will be your best friend. My guy is able to advise me on so many different body work issues even if he doesn't handle it. He works with so many of the reputable shops around so has given me awesome insight into who actually does good work and who doesn't. And then just the nature of PDR you really have to know how panels align, what's behind each section, what are they made out of. I've honesty spent hours chatting with my dude about this stuff that it's given me a great insight into how it works.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:12 PM   #15
tayone415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post

That's what I'm worried about. I know a cheaper price in the end could cost more in the long run and I don't know why they're cheaper? Maybe less experience or quality isn't as high for some companies or just not as greedy as others? I know that being the most expensive doesn't make something better either
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:21 PM   #16
tayone415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You definitely need to find "a guy". Once you establish a relationship with a "PDR artist" they will be your best friend. My guy is able to advise me on so many different body work issues even if he doesn't handle it. He works with so many of the reputable shops around so has given me awesome insight into who actually does good work and who doesn't. And then just the nature of PDR you really have to know how panels align, what's behind each section, what are they made out of. I've honesty spent hours chatting with my dude about this stuff that it's given me a great insight into how it works.
I narrowed it down to two business so far. One is the initial responder who offered me the lowest price of $150, because his yelp reviews were all positive, even the not recommended ones and they have a website and a shop a few cities overs for non mobile jobs. At least one or two reviews said the guy was a perfectionist about his work.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/citydent-pa...oval-san-mateo

The other was initially $220 but said he'd do it for $185 and they also have all positive yelp reviews and an onsite location and their pictures show their work on high end sports cars and high end vehicles. If I can trust pictures online.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/dent-service-experts-newark
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #17
tayone415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone for your input, I got the work done yesterday after receiving the last quote from the biggest rip off for mobile PDR, who wanted me to drive to his location about 10 miles south of me to get an estimate telling me that it's easy and faster to push the dent and would start at $85+ then glue pull after telling me it's a glue job and would be $200 minimum for glue.

I got the big ding gone and two other dings he found in another spot and another two mini dings around the larger ding that he fixed for free. It cost me $250 and maybe 30-40 minutes waiting for the repair when another business told me about 2.5 hours for the one ding.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #18
PYE46M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input, I got the work done yesterday after receiving the last quote from the biggest rip off for mobile PDR, who wanted me to drive to his location about 10 miles south of me to get an estimate telling me that it's easy and faster to push the dent and would start at $85+ then glue pull after telling me it's a glue job and would be $200 minimum for glue.

I got the big ding gone and two other dings he found in another spot and another two mini dings around the larger ding that he fixed for free. It cost me $250 and maybe 30-40 minutes waiting for the repair when another business told me about 2.5 hours for the one ding.
glad you got it fixed. As you might have seen, glue pulling aint no rocket science. these guys make it sound like its brain surgery to charge you $$$. You drive an M3 afterall. Like i said earlier, I paid $200 for an entire car, two hours of work and 5-6 dents. some were glu pulled and some were popped out with a tool. He also took out my trunk lining just to get to a tiny ding.
      Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #19
Burrcold
Major
Canada
Rep

Awesome!
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #20
tayone415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
glad you got it fixed. As you might have seen, glue pulling aint no rocket science. these guys make it sound like its brain surgery to charge you $$$. You drive an M3 afterall. Like i said earlier, I paid $200 for an entire car, two hours of work and 5-6 dents. some were glu pulled and some were popped out with a tool. He also took out my trunk lining just to get to a tiny ding.
Thanks, yeah $200 is a great deal especially you saying you have dents. Here, if they have to remove interior panels etc, they charge even more to the point where it's not worth fixing and might be better to just pay a few hundred more and get the car panel painted too at a shop.

Lately, here with the coronavirus prices are either dropping or increasing noticabley.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #21
Sy1616
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I’ve got an amazing story. I have a lift in my garage as well as custom lighting and I accidentally lifted my car too high which caused the lights to hit the roof of the M5. There was huge damage to the point that BMW themselves told me I had to have the entire roof replaced at a cost of $6500 plus rear window if it broke.. They recommended To try a Pointless dent removal guy near me who evidently won numerous awards for the practice, But he took one look at it and said ‘no way”. I then went to a local paint list dent removal shop, really a hole in the wall place but the guy is a total artist and he told me, no problem. He took two days and it cost me $2000 but the roof looks 100% like new without any paint work. The photos above are jokes compared to what I had on my car.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #22
PYE46M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy1616 View Post
I’ve got an amazing story. I have a lift in my garage as well as custom lighting and I accidentally lifted my car too high which caused the lights to hit the roof of the M5. There was huge damage to the point that BMW themselves told me I had to have the entire roof replaced at a cost of $6500 plus rear window if it broke.. They recommended To try a Pointless dent removal guy near me who evidently won numerous awards for the practice, But he took one look at it and said ‘no way”. I then went to a local paint list dent removal shop, really a hole in the wall place but the guy is a total artist and he told me, no problem. He took two days and it cost me $2000 but the roof looks 100% like new without any paint work. The photos above are jokes compared to what I had on my car.
that is awesome, any pix of before and after?

meanwhile some of these know it all PDR guys are like... "5 mm dent? impossible!", "near sunroof? cant be done"... pay me a ton of cash and ill think about it.