New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #1
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Interested in driving track, but not for sport, just for leisure (?)

(SORRY MODS, I INDADVERTENTLY WROTE THIS ON THE WRONG CATEGORY)

Hi Guys. I just want to be enlightened by you who have the experience. If you're like me who loves cars, occasionally works on them and just love the pure driving experience and would want to take that to (somewhat) the next level and drive on a track, where should I start?

On the side, I've always been in awe watching Chris Harris tear up tracks on the other side of the pond (Anglesey and that one in Portugal I think [Portimao?]) and would want to experience that, even if it's not as good as he does in those super fancy cars he reviews. My dream is to be able to drive on those nice European roads, or even at the Nurburgring.

I feel like it would be nice to get to feel the limits of my car on a real track, those twisty, bendy tracks. I've seen some drive in Laguna Seca, and that's awesome! I've also heard of nice twisty roads such as The Tail of the Dragon, or even just driving up Rt. 1 here in the NE. The thing that would be even better is to do it with a buddy that is like-minded. If not, I don't mind doing it alone.

I hope I made sense there...

Last edited by $iriu$black; 06-05-2015 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #2
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Most probably a "stupid" post reason why nobody even bothered responding...

Mods, please delete. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 135i N55 DCT

The mods can move your thread, no need to delete and start over.

Want to drive like Chris Harris? In my opinion, the first thing you need to accept is that you may wreck your car. If you get past that idea, you'll want plenty of money to devote to the cause. Even if you're only attacking back roads you'll start to want things like better tires, brakes, more cooling because the car is overheating, better suspension, etc. Again, keep in mind you may wreck the car at any time you're driving out of your comfort zone, and this includes on a track. With all this in mind, it may seem like a good idea to get a dedicated track car unless you're ok risking the daily.

Driving simulators (Assetto Corsa) can be useful too, for a fraction of the cost and none of the risk of real driving. To get anything out of the experience that transfers into the real world you need a great imagination, high quality controls and a reasonable investment in a computer and displays. You also need experience driving hard in the real world or you won't understand what the simulator is trying to tell you.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #4
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Two options:
1.Join BMWCCA and take one of their High Performance Driver Education days at a local track.
2. Take the O'Neil rally school in New Hampshire. You can do 1,2,3,4 or the full 5 days. You would want the 2 or 3 day school.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 11:46 PM   #5
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Two suggestions:
1) See if there is BMW driver training courses offered in your area. Its may seem expensive, but at least you get to use BMW's cars instead of your own!

2) Join your local BMW car club. If its like BMW car clubs in my country, they would would cater to enthusiasts like yourself and help you get on the track with appropriate supervision. The cars and drivers are typically graded by experience and performance level, so there no need to go faster than you want to. Of course its possible you could still wreck you car, though it generally shouldn't happen if people are sensible and prepare your car adequately. You should go to attend some events first and see if you are comfortable with the risks.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 12:00 AM   #6
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

In the bay area, the BMW and Porsche driving schools are the best, bar none. Would even give the edge to BMW instructors. For hooning/drifting Chris Harris style, can get an intro to it at the 2-day M-School, BMW CCA car control clinics, or in more advanced setting joining one of drifting clubs at local tracks. Keep in mind that other than some modest power-oversteer drifting needed to get fastest around the track, the PCA and BMWCCA will not be giving you drift lessons. But, it is a good skill to learn as those who know how to do it know the limits of adhesion and car control. Personally, I'm afraid to do it too much on the M3s, despite it being a superb drift car as differential bolts have been known to snap and drifting puts a lot of strain on the suspension and mounts. Track tires designed to go fast with a lot of grip aren't great for drifting, so keep that in mind as well (PSSs should be fine, but anything grippier is putting more unneeded strain).
Appreciate 0