E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Dealer not giving me the production number!?

04-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
Diesel123
Rep
Drives: e92 328xi

Dealer not giving me the production number!?

I ordered my car back in mid Febuary, and received a call from my dealer last week and the CA told me that my car is in on order. I then tried to call the dealership to ask for a production number because through this forum I found out we can track our cars. I called the CA a bunch of times and he always gives me something like ill get the production number to you later in the day and never does. Im starting to get a little annoyed, and I feel that I wont get my car in May as promised. Is there any way i can track my car without a production number, and if my car is still on order and hasnt started production yet, what kinda of timeframe will I expect to see my car?? If anyone has any ideas please post....thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Immediately call the sales manager of the dealership and relay your story. If you have not received a production #, you don't have a car assigned to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Agreed I smell BS. You should ask him when was the Production number assigned then ask him to transfer you to the manager and see what he says.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Call the manager, also call the BMW 800# and see if they can look you up by name. 18008311117

If they have you assigned to a car they should be able to look you up.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
psychoactive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

that asshole is lying
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

yeah he is you get a prod# in a couple days!! my CA gave me a full print out the day i ordered and the next day i think i got my prod#...whatever it was within 1 or 2 days!!! i ordered feb 2nd and i am getting my car this upcoming week by the following wednesday for sure!!!! it is getting in the port today or tomorrow!!! your CA is should be able to tell you that in under 1 min!!! if i was you i would go to the dealer and have them print me out my vehicle specs and the ETK sheet with all the ordering steps and such which will have all your data and shows the steps it takes from "On order" to "Delivery"!!! i think he might be screwing with you!!!
________
IOLITE PORTABLE VAPORIZER

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
theroyalwe
BMW CA
United_States
Rep
Drives: MINI, all BMW's

diesel,
list all the options and colors and stuff for your car and I'll do a search for 'sold' vehicles in NJ and hopefully it will come up. I can't get you the prod. number, but I can verify a car if it's there and tell you where it is in the progress.
      04-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
I would go down there in person and if he still BS's you then I would go and speak to the sales manager right there on the spot. I had to fight to get mine also since they had lied about modifying an existing order and I had to wait for them to get May production #'s just the other day.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
kostas09
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi

yeah I'm having the same exact problem as you. I ordered my car the first week of March and my salesman told me he would get me the production number asap. I called him a couple times since then and every time he told me he didn't have it yet. Yesterday I went in and talked to a different salesman. Had him check and see if he had my prod number, the guy told me that the computer says "On Order", no production number, and to expect delivery end of June. Though my salesman told me end of April.

Issue now is that I found someone to sell my ML430 to the last week of April (for $10k, which is pretty good deal).. and now I won't have a car for 2 months. I had figured i can go without a car until mid may.. but no way end of June... don't know what to do now... I want to argue and get them to give me a car for my troubles lol
      04-06-2007, 11:52 PM   #10
e92sam
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2007 e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel123 View Post
I ordered my car back in mid Febuary, and received a call from my dealer last week and the CA told me that my car is in on order. I then tried to call the dealership to ask for a production number because through this forum I found out we can track our cars. I called the CA a bunch of times and he always gives me something like ill get the production number to you later in the day and never does. Im starting to get a little annoyed, and I feel that I wont get my car in May as promised. Is there any way i can track my car without a production number, and if my car is still on order and hasnt started production yet, what kinda of timeframe will I expect to see my car?? If anyone has any ideas please post....thanks!
They are stringing you along big time. Your production slot went to someone else in March and April, or they could give you one right now. My CA did not BS, had my number within 24 hrs. Hopefully you are not leasing, those rates only lock for 60 days. Cancel your order and find another dealer. You are not being treated right. Good Luck!
      04-07-2007, 12:56 AM   #11
fragadellic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe BSM

OMG - don't walk, RUN to your dealer and get your depost back!!!

When you order a car and they don't give you the production number immediately it's because you ordered a future production allocation. If they sell more cars than they have allocations for, you have a serious problem because you are in a pool of people who are waiting for allocations.

I ordered in mid-March and took an unsold allocation for a 335i coupe tentatively scheduled for a Week 16 production. He printed my Vehicle Inquiry Report and the production number was right there on the printout.

The bottom line is that there is NO WAY that you ordered in February and don't have an allocation yet. That would mean that not only did you not get a March allocation car, but you also didn't get an April allocation car. That means the soonest you could expect a May production number is around the end of April - if they haven't sold those already too. You need to get up tomorrow morning, go down to the dealership, and demand your deposit back immediately.

You can absolutely do no worse by starting over with another dealer in NJ or NY. BTW, help everyone else out and tell us which dealer you ordered the car from!!!

According to the BMW USA website, there are 18 BMW dealers in NJ. Contact the internet sales manager of every one of them (except your current one of course!) via email and tell them to give you their bottom line out the door price on the configuration you want. Tell them you want to order a car for which they have an existing unsold allocation and can supply you with a production number when you come in with your depost.

That will weed out the asshole dealers who are just screwing with you. With 18 dealers in NJ, you have a great chance that you'll get more than a couple who are willing to work with you honestly.

Good luck!!!
      04-07-2007, 05:05 AM   #12
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Tell him if he won't give you the production number then and there you're gonna give him all 1's., and then only because you can't give zeros.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 06:43 AM   #13
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
I would go down there in person and if he still BS's you then I would go and speak to the sales manager right there on the spot. I had to fight to get mine also since they had lied about modifying an existing order and I had to wait for them to get May production #'s just the other day.
Unfortunately, this appears to be SOP when demand is higher than supply. Your best defense is to gain as much knowledge about the ordering process from this forum as you can, so you are prepared to deal with all the pitfalls.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 08:56 AM   #14
Diesel123
Rep

Thanks for all the responses I greatly appreciate it. I definetely will go to the dealer now after hearing what everyone just posted. I am not desperate for a car because I have one that I still can drive around but I do not like being stringed along or being lied to. I definetely will ask for my deposit back if they didnt assign me a production number. theRoyalwe...I ordered a black 328xi auto with coral red interior and grey poplar trim.

Option: Nav, bmw assist, logic 7, sirius, sport package, cold weather, premium

If you can let me know if a car was ordered with those specs...that would be great!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 09:59 AM   #15
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

Some dealers demand a deposit for an allocation. Did you give them any money or get anything in writing? If not, you are probably screwed.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #16
rsj
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Garage List
I had exactly the same problem when I ordered from my dealer in S. Fl. back in February. However, after placing the order I immediately started pressuring the CA for a production number. In 2 weeks it became apparent that he didn't have one, and I gave them an ultimatum.... either give me the number or cancel the order and give my deposit back. At that point he admitted they didn't have any allocations available, and that he wasn't sure they'd even have any available in March. Why they have to lie is beyond me!

I called around until I found a dealer that did have a vehicle already ordered for stock that was close to production that could be changed and placed an order with him. I had the production number and printout on the car before I left the dealership. Car finished production about a week ago and is already scheduled for a Performance Center Delivery.

Bottom line.... if they can't give you a production number they haven't ordered it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 10:23 AM   #17
Radioactive Man
Up and atom!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Montego E92 328i

Diesel, I'm in a similar situation, except I only ordered my car about a week and a half ago. I've been back and forth with the dealer on the phone and he has been unable to provide me with a production #. After reading this thread, I'm starting to get a little worried. He did forward me a Vehicle Inquiry Report, but there's no Production # listed on it.
      04-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #18
theroyalwe
BMW CA
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel123 View Post
Thanks for all the responses I greatly appreciate it. I definetely will go to the dealer now after hearing what everyone just posted. I am not desperate for a car because I have one that I still can drive around but I do not like being stringed along or being lied to. I definetely will ask for my deposit back if they didnt assign me a production number. theRoyalwe...I ordered a black 328xi auto with coral red interior and grey poplar trim.

Option: Nav, bmw assist, logic 7, sirius, sport package, cold weather, premium

If you can let me know if a car was ordered with those specs...that would be great!
Diesel;

your car is in 150 status, meaning it is actually IN PRODUCTION right now. all your options are there and the car seems to be fine. there is certainly a prod# assigned as there is already a VIN for the car. if you want the last 7 of your vin just send me a PM.

BTW, your prod was week 15.

rest easy... they may not be getting you the info quickly, but at least the car is moving forward.
      04-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #19
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalwe View Post
diesel,
list all the options and colors and stuff for your car and I'll do a search for 'sold' vehicles in NJ and hopefully it will come up. I can't get you the prod. number, but I can verify a car if it's there and tell you where it is in the progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalwe View Post
Diesel;

your car is in 150 status, meaning it is actually IN PRODUCTION right now. all your options are there and the car seems to be fine. there is certainly a prod# assigned as there is already a VIN for the car. if you want the last 7 of your vin just send me a PM.

BTW, your prod was week 15.

rest easy... they may not be getting you the info quickly, but at least the car is moving forward.
The question of the day is.....Why didn't the CA that took the order, go the extra mile for his customer? I would definitely have a conversation with either the SM or the GM of your dealership.

theroyalwe....you are
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #20
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

shit even i want to thank the royalwe and he did nothing for me!!!
________
Weed Vaporizer

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #21
theroyalwe
BMW CA
United_States
Rep

it's no problem.. I'd hate to be in his shoes. long before I became a CA I went through the whole ordering process and spent days online tracking the boat and everything... hopefully he'll be able to get the info from his CA about that stuff, because I think it really adds to the buying experience. unfortunately some CA's are more 'salesmen' than 'advisors'. smack me if I ever get like that!
      04-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #22
Diesel123
Rep

Thanks for the info Theroyalwe....I called up the sales manager today and they finally gave me the production #. I was soo relieved at that point..I dont understand why the salesperson could not just give it to me, and I had to go through the general manager to receive the production #. But in the end all that matters is that my car is production . For everyone else who is still waiting for their production #..it definetely sucks....but sooner or later ull get urs..and it will well worth it. Thanks everyone for all ur responses and help on this issue.
Appreciate 0