New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-01-2024, 02:28 AM   #1
mockngbrd
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 1974 BMW 2002 / Toyota Mark II

Driving the new J01 Mini Cooper SE in Sitges, Spain.

A couple of weeks ago, I was very very fortunate to have been invited to the beautiful locale of Sitges Spain to drive the new J01 Mini as part of an international media drive event. As a hobbyist writer, these trips are truly a blessing.

So I hope it's ok for me to share my driving experience here as well. It's a bit long.

A Soulful Spark: Driving The J01 Mini Cooper SE

Nestled along the stunning Mediterranean coastline, just 35 kilometres southwest of Barcelona and featuring 17 sandy beaches where the clear waters of the Mediterranean meet golden sand, is the picturesque town of Sitges. As I gazed out at the shimmering sea and listened to the soothing sounds of the coastal morning, I found a perfect moment for introspective reflection. In this serene setting, I began to ponder the essence of authenticity and the preservation of character and soul in a rapidly changing automotive world.

In the grand tapestry of life, the soul is often seen as the essence that breathes life into being, the intangible core that defines identity and purpose. It is a profound and multifaceted topic that has been explored across various cultures, religions, and philosophical traditions. Across cultures and throughout history, the soul is often viewed as the immortal core of our being, the seat of consciousness, emotion, and identity. Representing our deepest selves, the soul is believed to be the true essence that yearns for authenticity and fulfilment—challenging us to confront the realities of freedom, choice, and the inherent search for meaning, marked by moments of ethical deliberation and the pursuit of passions that resonate with our inner truth.

Typically associated with living beings, this concept also surprisingly resonates well within the realm of the automotive industry. While machines lack inherent spirituality, we often imbue a select few with meaning and emotion, elevating them beyond mere objects and transforming these amalgamations of metal, glass, plastic, fabric, and carbon into something more profound—becoming extensions of ourselves, reflections of our aspirations, values, and experiences.

These thoughts were sharply brought into focus during a presentation of the latest J01 Mini Cooper. Witnessing the emphasis on preserving the "Spirit" of Mini amidst its electrified evolution, I couldn't help but wonder: can this new electric Mini truly uphold the cherished qualities that define its legacy, and will it possess the soul that enthusiasts desire?

This is going to be a tough one.

Weaving the concept of the soul into the context of a car can create a rich emotional tapestry that highlights the deep connections humans often form with their vehicles, involving both tangible qualities and intangible aspects that make a vehicle feel alive, uniquely characterful and emotionally evocative.

The Visual Appeal
Our emotions are often provoked through our senses, varying based on individual experiences and contexts. Certain senses, however, are typically more immediate or impactful in triggering emotional responses. In a new environment, sight is typically the first sense to evoke emotions as we visually assess our surroundings. With the new Mini, things are off to a great start as its design language immediately sets it apart from its predecessors.

Simply referred to as Charismatic Simplicity, this purer, more minimalistic approach to the exterior boldly eliminates several familiar design elements in favour of a fresh new aesthetic. While retaining MINI's hallmark proportions, it also, more than ever, references the original Morris Mini's pared-back design.

Key design elements, such as the black plastic wheel arch cladding, the vent-like flourish behind the front wheels, the chrome brightwork, and the Cooper S's hood scoop, have been stripped away. In their absence, clean contoured surfaces play with light and shadow, infusing the design with depth and sophistication that in our car's Sunny Side Yellow hue, truly shines in the metal.

The fresh take on the Mini aesthetic is evident as we look at the rear end of the Cooper, where a new tail-light design provides three customisable graphical options. As an option, the daytime running light elements at the front can also be customised to create three adjustable light signatures as well.

Four distinct trims will also be available for added distinction, each highlighting unique aspects of the Mini's new design. "Essential" focuses on simplicity, with a minimalist appearance and functional accents like the logo in Vibrant Silver, complemented by modern paint finishes such as Sunny Side Yellow. While "Classic" enhances interior details, "Favoured" brings with it more expressive exterior features, including an optional Spray-Tech design for the Multitone Roof and a front grille in Vibrant Silver. For those seeking a sportier look, there is a John Cooper Works Trim with a distinctive front and rear design, high-gloss black accents, a contrasting Chili Red roof, and JCW-specific bonnet stripes in red or black.

Mini-malist Inside Out
While design preferences may vary, this fresh new visual approach makes the J01 appear even more modern than its petrol-powered sibling, the F66. Inside, the original Morris Mini's design inspirations continue to shine, with a stunning new central OLED display taking centre stage. Circular in form and beautifully vibrant in function, this new display is the result of a groundbreaking collaboration between Samsung and Mini. Marking the automotive industry’s first implementation of a large round OLED display. To further accentuate the interior atmosphere, optional projectors behind this gorgeous screen illuminate the curved uncluttered textile dashboard with matching colour schemes and patterns.

Navigating this new circular display requires some basic familiarisation, but the ground-up redesign of MINI Operating System 9 works in Mini's favour, providing a layout that looks as fresh as the car itself. While there are still some control functions and flows that could be further streamlined—such as allowing for a swipe on the temperature control without needing to tap in—the overall experience is positively pleasant. And when Spike enthusiastically pops out, it's even joyful! Why Mini didn't name him Cooper remains a mystery to us.

While the display has been moved closer to the driver on our left-hand-drive test car, it remains to be seen if they will do the same for right-hand drive markets.

Key controls have been repositioned under the display, featuring actual buttons and toggle switches for power, drive selection, parking brake, experience modes, volume control, and other essential functions. This design approach that retains physical tactility is highly commendable, especially considering other manufacturers' push towards removing switches and buttons in favour of on-screen toggles. Taking care of the most important readouts for driving is also an optional head-up display that ensures all relevant content appears in the driver’s field of vision.

Sound of Big Love
Beyond sight, sound is a powerful trigger for emotions, an aspect often missing in many modern EVs. Music, voices, and environmental noises can swiftly shape our mood and provide a channel of communication between driver and machine, offering immediate feedback to each input and evoking feelings from happiness to melancholy, excitement to relaxation, and even moments of joy, anticipation, and satisfaction.

Mini's sound engineers understand this well. From the joyful jingles when toggling through driving modes to the intense synthesised engine notes with each deep stab of the throttle and the delightful Jetsons-like burbles on the overrun, Mini has crafted unique soundscapes for each experience mode. These sounds elevate every drive, adding depth, youthfulness, and engagement to surprise, delight, and utterly excite. Unlike my driving buddy who preferred to go au natural with everything turned off. I loved the sounds.

The Go-Kart Revisited
Speaking of driving modes, the new Mini, much like the latest BMWs, offers several options: Core, Green, Vivid, Timeless, Balance, Personal, Trail, and of course, Go-kart! Each mode has its unique lighting, soundscape, and atmospheric visuals.

For those keen to explore the dynamic capabilities of the new electric Cooper, Go-kart mode is a clear choice (Woo-hoo!). However, one of the most intriguing modes for me is Timeless. This mode brings back classic analogue dials and features a soundscape cheekily inspired by and built upon samples from the original Morris Mini itself.

Ahead of us stretched a diverse array of Spanish tarmac, inviting us to explore everything from long, wide highway stretches to narrow, winding forest roads and stunning mountain passes. Each route promised a unique adventure for our charged-up Mini, so it was time to hit the road.

Initial impressions of the new Mini are generally positive, showcasing a much-improved ride over previous generations. While still retaining a sporty setup, the new model now handles minor bumps significantly better and features dampers that effectively absorb road imperfections. This eliminates what many feel was an overly harsh ride on its predecessors, resulting in a more comfortable and enjoyable driving experience, undoubtedly aided by its longer wheelbase that also enhances rear seat practicality for everyday use even with my almost 1.8-metre frame.

However, with the rear seats positioned almost directly above the rear axles, the ride can be slightly bumpier for passengers in the back, though not to a dizzying extent.

With its neutral poise and sharp, direct steering, our Cooper SE handled the first day's sketchy, narrow roads effortlessly, managing its 1605 kilos (165kg more than the F56) with ease. However, it does lose a hint of its agility in exchange for improved stability and road manners due to the increased wheelbase. By all measurable accounts, the new Mini drives and performs as a Mini should: quick to manoeuvre, sharp to steer, and cheekily responsive to inputs. Yet, even after a day of driving, I felt conflicted. I love how this new Mini looks, how it sounds, and the marque's storied legacy. But at the end of the day, I couldn't quite connect with it. I needed to dig deeper.

And deeper I dug, because on our second day into beautiful mountain passes, the J01 came alive with a flick of a toggle into Go-Kart mode. Suddenly, everything clicked (toggled?) into place. With each turn of the wheel, the car seemingly starts to shrink between my hands, confidently encouraging me to explore even further.

With 218 horsepower and 330Nm of torque, acceleration is swift (6.7 seconds), though not blistering. Opting for more horsepower, like many other EVs, would have significantly affected both weight and balance. While 218 horsepower might not sound like much, it does offer a wider range of throttle play and modulation over a longer period, resulting in a more enjoyable and engaging drive with more depth than merely repeating traffic light sprints.

As I navigated the beautiful winding switchbacks of Sitges with Taylor Swift's Suburban Legends playing in the background, the little Mini seemed to cheekily whisper, "Just a little bit more, a little bit faster," tempting me to test both its limits and my own as my right foot pressed further into the throttle. Even as the front wheels chirped, the Mini cheerfully buzzed like a spirited electric yellow bee, holding its own, quickly regaining composure with a slight lift, and rotating on command ready to take on the next corner.

As we parked up to admire a castle, it gave me time to unwind and reflect on my drive. The Mini wasn't without areas that could be improved upon of course. While the steering was direct and sharp, it lacked the communicative feel I craved when loading into corners. And though engaging the drivetrain into B-mode heightened regenerative braking, I couldn't help but yearn for a left paddle behind the steering wheel to activate this feature, similar to dropping a cog (or two) for engine braking.

Lounging in the passenger seat for the return leg of our mini escapade (pun intended), after swapping drivers, I couldn't shake off a twinge of envy and betrayal each time we dived into a corner. As my friend took the wheel, I noticed the same spirited handling and responsive performance, but it felt different being a mere spectator. The Mini, which had been my lively partner through those exhilarating switchbacks, now seemed to be enjoying its dance with someone else. She's a playful one this Mini, so magnetic it was almost obnoxious.

A Soulful Spark
Reflecting on my initial scepticism, I realised that my doubts mirrored my initial question: does this new electric Mini possess the qualities that define a car with "soul"? Amidst the shimmering sea, golden sands and beautiful afternoon sun of Sitges, I found the perfect backdrop for my conclusion.

Initially, I struggled to connect with the car, fearing that its electric evolution might strip away the cherished qualities that define its legacy. But as I delved deeper into the driving experience, the new Mini gradually revealed its character. The tangible qualities—the design, the sounds, the driving modes—all began to resonate with the intangible aspects of the driving experience. Each turn, each acceleration, and each joyful jingle from the sound system brought the car to life in a way that was sometimes both unexpected and deeply satisfying.

As my journey with the new Mini drew to a close, I realized that both the moments of disappointment and the bursts of joy during the discovery phase added depth to the experience, much like the parallels of discovering our own souls. The initial disconnect I felt with the car mirrored the uncertainties we often face in our own self-discovery. However, as I delved deeper into its character, I found a growing appreciation for its unique qualities. This journey, with its highs and lows, ultimately enriched my connection with the Mini, revealing that the soul of a car, like our own, is uncovered through exploration, patience, and an openness to both its imperfections and its brilliance.

This new Mini? I think it's a soulful spark.
Appreciate 3
      06-01-2024, 08:42 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

What range does it get?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2024, 12:01 PM   #3
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

As someone who previously had a JCW Mini, I can’t emphasize enough how much I hate the cartoonish design and interior of this.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2024, 04:34 PM   #4
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
What range does it get?
I'm wondering the same. Hopefully worthwhile since it is pretty pokey.

Not my cup of tea, though, and my old R56 MCS, wherever it may be, probably cringes. Nice write-up and I appreciate OP taking the time to put it together and share.
      06-02-2024, 08:59 PM   #5
mockngbrd
Private First Class
Rep

WLTP range for the Cooper S is 400 kilometres (248 miles). But during our test days with A/C turned on and quite a bit of hooning about, prob closer to 360-370 kilometres. (220-230 miles?)
Appreciate 2
bosstones1226.00
      06-02-2024, 09:17 PM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
As someone who previously had a JCW Mini, I can’t emphasize enough how much I hate the cartoonish design and interior of this.
x100
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2024, 04:33 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockngbrd View Post
WLTP range for the Cooper S is 400 kilometres (248 miles). But during our test days with A/C turned on and quite a bit of hooning about, prob closer to 360-370 kilometers. (220-230 miles?)
I think if you are trying to help sell the electric Mini you should provide more technical specs than just motor horsepower and weight. To achieve 248 miles, the battery must be 70 kWh or more, which must be interesting packaging considering the constraints of the Mini Cooper body. The electric weighs 680 pounds more than a petrol-fired Cooper Works. It must be a bit less of a go-cart than any of the Coopers I've driven.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-03-2024 at 06:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2024, 05:51 AM   #8
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

I appreciate the review and what a great opportunity for you. I will reenforce an earlier comment, the interior is cartoonish. It makes me think they have designed it for the girls who dress up like Hello Kitty. Maybe that's the target market but it seems like it's designed for children who still watch cartoons not adults. I guess time will tell to see if it sells or not.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18743.50
      06-03-2024, 07:59 AM   #9
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
I had an R53 Cooper S and hate basically everything about this.

I hate that automakers keep trying to make EVs different. The handful of EV enthusiasts might want that, but the VAST majority of the car buying public doesn't. They want an EV that's a normal car.

That said, the Mini seems.like an ideal.car for an EV, just gotta keep the weight down.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 09:40 AM   #10
GOLFFRR
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

that display looks interesting. Def going for a young fun feel with this ride

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 10:24 AM   #11
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
No price makes me worried.

Performance is, let's be nice... It's not good..218hp.is oke, but but 6.7 to 60 makes this basically the slowest.modern Cooper S yet. That's (again, being kind) really really bad. Especially in a world where people are conditioned to expect electrics to be fast 0-60. Especially in a world where other Mini Coopers exist. Especially in a world where the countryman S isn't much slower. Especially in a world where THAT'S IT, no modding the electric for more power. No adding an exhaust, intake, tune, pulley, etc and making more power

I get it. The bureaucrats demand this and if you don't comply they force you out of business. But I don't like it. Most people won't like it. People probably won't buy it, and then you're gonna go out of business anyways. So it's better to tell the bureaucrats to eat a fat one, make stuff people want, and go out in a blaze of glory than die on the vine with trash product like this.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 01:51 PM   #12
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
yeah, safe to say you're no longer the target market for a new EV Mini so...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 01:55 PM   #13
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
I had an R53 Cooper S and hate basically everything about this.

I hate that automakers keep trying to make EVs different. The handful of EV enthusiasts might want that, but the VAST majority of the car buying public doesn't. They want an EV that's a normal car.

That said, the Mini seems.like an ideal.car for an EV, just gotta keep the weight down.
The premier EVs, Teslas, are different, and minimalistic, and silly (they make fart sounds and you can play games).

EVs are meant to be different, and a little fun...unless it's like a Caddy EV or something for old people.

And Minis always attracted a "different" kind of enthusiasts, and these will continue that trend.

So all those offended at this car and its new design...

I would never buy it myself either, but who cares?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 02:27 PM   #14
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Looks nice
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 04:19 PM   #15
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
The premier EVs, Teslas, are different, and minimalistic, and silly (they make fart sounds and you can play games).

EVs are meant to be different, and a little fun...unless it's like a Caddy EV or something for old people.

And Minis always attracted a "different" kind of enthusiasts, and these will continue that trend.

I think it's less that people are offended and more disappointed. Maybe people who used to own Minis aren't the target demographic for them? I dunno.

EVs don't need to be different. In fact, they should seem to NOT be different. Tesla sells in large volumes because they're cheap. They're minimalist so they can be cheap. They're silly because it is cheap to do stuff like that and generates buzz on the internet.

Other brands should not try to mimic what Tesla did with EVs. Ask Ford how that went with Mach E. They cribbed the cheap and minimalist design from Tesla and flopped harder than a fat kid diving into a pool. The best choice to sell EVs from existing brands is to make them just like their normal cars, but electric. If possible, share a platform with the regular cars to keep prices down, because price is what sells EVs.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 07:10 PM   #16
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think it's less that people are offended and more disappointed. Maybe people who used to own Minis aren't the target demographic for them? I dunno.
People outgrow specific vehicles and cars, and certainly many enthusiasts will outgrow a Mini.

Quote:
EVs don't need to be different. In fact, they should seem to NOT be different. Tesla sells in large volumes because they're cheap. They're minimalist so they can be cheap. They're silly because it is cheap to do stuff like that and generates buzz on the internet.

Yes, Tesla makes $40,000 models, but they also sell a lot of $80,000 Model X and Model S models (and that ain't cheap), with these latter models being status symbols in many affluent neighborhoods.

Quote:
Other brands should not try to mimic what Tesla did with EVs. Ask Ford how that went with Mach E. They cribbed the cheap and minimalist design from Tesla and flopped harder than a fat kid diving into a pool.
For many manufacturers, one of the primary obstacles is a lackluster challenging network, which presents range anxiety for longer trips. And for many EV enthusiasts, they like the minimalist design with most controls coming through a central tablet.

By the way, per Car & Driver, the Ford Mach E came in at #5 in 2023 for top-selling EVs. Yes, it was outsold by the gas-powered Mustang coupe and convertible, "but it was only a few thousand units behind, and it even managed to sell more units than the Ranger pickup."

Quote:
The best choice to sell EVs from existing brands is to make them just like their normal cars, but electric. If possible, share a platform with the regular cars to keep prices down, because price is what sells EVs.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g4...lling-ev-2023/

How many of the 15 top-selling EVs of 2023 are just like a normal car, based on a gasoline-powered model?

Many EV enthusiasts want the avant-garde EV experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 09:52 PM   #17
mockngbrd
Private First Class
Rep

Apologies for missing this bit out for those interested in specs:
The battery capacity in the MINI Cooper E is 40.7 kWh, while in the MINI Cooper SE it is 54.2 kWh.

Interesting comments and takes. Which does seem to validate Mini's approach with this new generation to take the model into two different directions and platforms, the new J01 for purely electric, and the F66 platform (derived from the previous F56 platform) for petrol-powered cars and the new JCW which they ran/tested (with a wrap) over the wkend at the 24H Nurburgring event. So for those who prefer the more current flavour of the Mini, there is still a version made for you, the F66.

Visually the F66 is quite similar to the F66 too.

Appreciate 1
bosstones1226.00
      06-03-2024, 09:57 PM   #18
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Those C&D numbers are WILDLY optimistic for the startups. I'm not gonna respond to most of your post point by point because it's full of logical fallacies. But, I'll counter your "how many of the top selling EVs are just like gas cars" with this. How many EVs on sale have met volume expectations? Excluding Tesla.

People don't want them for a variety of reasons, price and design being big ones. Hell, the main reason I don't have a Lightning right now is they made it too EV. That big center screen is garbage from a use perspective, ugly aesthetically, and is a complete deal breaker for me.

People harp on charging infrastructure as a factor. It isn't. People charge EVs at home and we all realize how garbage they are as long distance vehicles now. Frankly, I think we should stop building charging infrastructure completely. It's a waste except for the small segment of people too thick headed to use the right tool for the job. Charge your EV at home for cheap, not out and about. If you can't charge it at home, don't buy an EV. Pretty simple. Range anxiety is a made up thing, either a polite way of people saying "I need more range because my f150 does 700+ miles per tank", or it's the "we want a white kitchen" when selling a house - a completely bogus lie for why they aren't gonna buy it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 09:59 PM   #19
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mockngbrd View Post
Apologies for missing this bit out for those interested in specs:
The battery capacity in the MINI Cooper E is 40.7 kWh, while in the MINI Cooper SE it is 54.2 kWh.

Interesting comments and takes. Which does seem to validate Mini's approach with this new generation to take the model into two different directions and platforms, the new J01 for purely electric, and the F66 platform (derived from the previous F56 platform) for petrol-powered cars and the new JCW which they ran/tested (with a wrap) over the wkend at the 24H Nurburgring event. So for those who prefer the more current flavour of the Mini, there is still a version made for you, the F66.

Visually the F66 is quite similar to the F66 too.

I didn't realize that they're keeping the ICE Cooper around too. That's great news, but man, who's gonna buy the electric one if you can buy the ICE one and it's gonna be faster, lighter, better, and more Mini Cooper?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 10:04 PM   #20
mockngbrd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I didn't realize that they're keeping the ICE Cooper around too. That's great news, but man, who's gonna buy the electric one if you can buy the ICE one and it's gonna be faster, lighter, better, and more Mini Cooper?
Choice is always good. I thought it was an interesting approach for Mini as well when I first heard it. Haha. I guess the EVs are for ppl who don't go onto online car forums and just want the latest/newest car. And probably also to satisfy new regulations/laws otherwise they wont even be allowed to sell their ICE cars. The Cooper will have both pure EV and ICE, the Aceman will be only EV, the Countryman will be pure EV and ICE (both petrol and diesel) as well iirc.

Trust me, the ppl in charge of Mini in Munich are crazy car ppl and crazier drivers. I'd say even more so than most in BMW. (except BMW M)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 11:10 PM   #21
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Those C&D numbers are WILDLY optimistic for the startups.
OK, here are some more 2023 EV sales figures. https://www.greencars.com/expert-ins...c-cars-of-2023

And hec, you can do your own research. What are you expecting to find? A bunch of EVs sold that are based on ICE platforms? For many EV enthusiasts, they want a unique EV experience, not simply an ICE vehicle transformed into an electric car. Why? Because most ICE supporters are going to remain ICE devotees until they have to switch...most are not going to choose the EV version of an ICE platform. Not at this time, with the current state of battery technology.

Quote:
I'm not gonna respond to most of your post point by point because it's full of logical fallacies.

Quote:
But, I'll counter your "how many of the top selling EVs are just like gas cars" with this. How many EVs on sale have met volume expectations? Excluding Tesla.
Not many manufacturers have met their sales goals.

But the EVs that are selling, most of them are based on specific EV platforms. There is seemingly little interest at this time for EVs based on ICE platforms. Where are the stats that show ICE-based EVs outperforming ground-up EV platforms?

Quote:
People don't want them for a variety of reasons, price and design being big ones.
Price? Earlier, you said EVs were too cheap. Now are you arguing that they're too expensive? Which is it?

As for the design being a major factor, yes, that's another reason. Many don't like the way EVs look, and I'm certainly in that bucket. But if the argument is that if the manufacturers simply based their EVs on ICE platforms, they'll sell...well, not many companies are having much success with that strategy either.

Quote:
Hell, the main reason I don't have a Lightning right now is they made it too EV. That big center screen is garbage from a use perspective, ugly aesthetically, and is a complete deal breaker for me.
Interesting. So it sounds like if Ford would have simply stayed with the traditional F150 ICE interior, you would have bought one. Only the screen was the deal breaker or you.

I'm sure that Ford has deemed you to be the anomaly, and they would be right. I can't imagine many F150 owners have your perspective...as damn near all of them wouldn't dare buy an electric work-based pickup right now for a variety of reasons, even if the range was 600 miles and it could tow 15,000 pounds (and the interior still had the traditional layout), especially when a similar-looking ICE version is available. And Ford knew that, they are simply paving the way for the future - their first attempt of a few to lure their loyal pickup owners.

Quote:
People harp on charging infrastructure as a factor. It isn't. People charge EVs at home and we all realize how garbage they are as long distance vehicles now. Frankly, I think we should stop building charging infrastructure completely. It's a waste except for the small segment of people too thick headed to use the right tool for the job. Charge your EV at home for cheap, not out and about. If you can't charge it at home, don't buy an EV. Pretty simple. Range anxiety is a made up thing, either a polite way of people saying "I need more range because my f150 does 700+ miles per tank", or it's the "we want a white kitchen" when selling a house - a completely bogus lie for why they aren't gonna buy it.
For many people who can't afford multiple vehicles to do different tasks, you will want the peace of mind to know you can take a long journey in your vehicle and not have to worry about the charging network along the way and at your reached destination. So range anxiety is indeed a real reason why a lot of people aren't going to buy an EV.

Sure, if you don't like the design of the interior or exterior, you're not buying one either.

But if an EV version of a mass-market car like a Camry or an Accord was available today and they looked the same, 99% of the market would still choose the ICE or hybrid version. So to me, that means the design is not the primary factor holding people back from an EV purchase. The same goes for most vehicles...most aren't switching to an ICE-based EV for a while.

Case in point with the Mini...having both the EV and ICE versions available is smart. Mini knows that only the rare, true EV enthusiasts are going to choose their EV version when it launches, unless the EV tax credits and other economic benefits of buying/leasing an EV Mini make sense/cents. So, why design a brand new EV Mini to look just like the ICE version inside and out? Hec, if you want the ICE version, then just buy that (or get a used version). The EV version is for people who want a taste of the future.

And ultimately, “The most environmentally friendly product is the one you didn’t buy.” — Joshua Becker
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 04:19 AM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post

Seriously the "Caddy is for old people" thing is like 25 years out of date. Cadillac has been building enthusiast, athletic, sports oriented cars since the late 1990s. Most of Cadillac's cars beat BMW at its own game, and has been doing so for the better part of 15 years.

🤣🤣🤣
Appreciate 0