New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Today, 06:32 PM   #1
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M550i 2022

Native Floridians - your take on Milton?

My son lives in a new townhome on Tampa area - built to modern codes and hurricane standards.

We decided that he should install his shutters, turn off breakers to bottom level (garage, storage and foyer), and spend a couple nights in Orlando, just to be safe and not have the car flooded or be trapped by water.

Given everything about the storm's path, how might Orlando area be impacted? Asking because his mother is cranking up the anxiety machine and has him spooked about his plan.

My guess is that worse case scenario is that his hotel loses power for a bit. At this point, it looks like the storm will travel well South of Orlando.

Last edited by DrVenture; Today at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:21 PM   #2
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Can’t speak to your Florida specific questions but your advice on shutters, electric, heading to Orlando are spot on. Having lived in New Orleans most of my life including Katrina, you don’t mess around with these storms. IMO if he could head even further north, I would do that. Keep the gas tank full, totally empty the refrigerator/get rid of any perishables, bring any important papers/photos with him. Nothing worse than coming home to a fridge ruined by spoiled food…
Appreciate 3
Buug95921844.00
RickFLM411604.50
DrVenture1103.50
      Today, 07:54 PM   #3
X3 M40i Guy
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Native here. Depending on the strength of the storm, power may be lost in Orlando. He would certainly be better off than Tampa.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM411604.50
DrVenture1103.50
      Today, 08:25 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Advice for Tampa prep and going to Orlando is good. Logically, Orlando will not have nearly the same impact as coastal areas because there is no storm surge in Orlando. Maybe power outage which can also lead to cell service being down. In general, get away from the coast when a storm is coming and Orlando is a good spot.

Also, kscarrol made some good suggestions and to those I would add have cash on hand, keep portable devices charged and have some water, food and snacks (and liquor if so inclined) on hand in Orlando. Before leaving get anything important out of storage on lower level and either bring it or move it to upper level. Tell him to make sure he calls or texts you as soon as he can once the storm passes. (Don’t panic if you can’t reach him during or right after storm.)
DrVenture1103.50
      Today, 08:32 PM   #5
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 435i

I would go north of Tampa. Generally you want the storm to move parallel and on the backside of the rotation.

So if it's moving W-E then be on the North side. If it's moving S-N then be on the West side.

Maybe head to Gainesville or Tallahassee.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line

Last edited by F32Fleet; Today at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
RickFLM411604.50
DrVenture1103.50
      Today, 08:36 PM   #6
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. Great advice. Much appreciated. Have done pretty much all of that. Except empty fridge. Will talk to him in the a.m. about that too.

Nothing of value on lower level, Just a few odds and ends on a shelving unit in storage. Nothing on floors. Our expectation is that Orlando could lose power, but should be safe. Already booked the room. Advised him to fill up as he enters Orlando area. Should only need about 2-3 gallons after traveling.

He has multiple power bricks and batteries all charged. He has cash (and full tank of gas) and will get more cash tomorrow. Shutters going up at 8:00 am - confirmed. Plans to bring water and dried snacks with him. Fortunately his electric is below ground and he is on same grid as nearby hospital. Hoping that helps.
      Today, 08:42 PM   #7
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
I would go north of Tampa. Generally you want the storm to move parallel and on the backside of the rotation.

So if it's moving W-E then be on the North side. If it's moving S-N then be on the West side.

Maybe head to Gainesville or Tallahassee.
With plans made, he is a bit locked in. Jumped on it this morning out of concern over lodging availability. But the current track shows Orlando North and "left" of the storm's projected track. And, of course, about 100 miles inland.

Thank you. Good luck to everyone. After Helene, no doubt everyone is on edge.
      Today, 08:45 PM   #8
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenture View Post
Thanks. Great advice. Much appreciated. Have done pretty much all of that. Except empty fridge. Will talk to him in the a.m. about that too.

Nothing of value on lower level, Just a few odds and ends on a shelving unit in storage. Nothing on floors. Our expectation is that Orlando could lose power, but should be safe. Already booked the room. Advised him to fill up as he enters Orlando area. Should only need about 2-3 gallons after traveling.

He has multiple power bricks and batteries all charged. He has cash (and full tank of gas) and will get more cash tomorrow. Shutters going up at 8:00 am - confirmed. Plans to bring water and dried snacks with him. Fortunately his electric is below ground and he is on same grid as nearby hospital. Hoping that helps.
Being on the same grid as the hospital is a huge help (assuming no flood).

Has he ever put shutters up before? If they are the heavy galvanized steel shutters, it is not a fun project (nor is taking them down). Presumably he’s young, which is good. If he can get some help with those or hire someone to do it, I recommend doing so, especially since he has a townhouse and presumably needs to get on a ladder to put them on a second floor. (We had them before we invested in impact resistant glass and put them up several times on a single story house.)

Also one more thing: obviously, bring anything outside (grill, furniture, etc.) into the garage.
DrVenture1103.50
      Today, 08:56 PM   #9
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Outside is clear, including screen porch. He has a guy lined up to do shutters, and the guy left his ladder in son's garage saying he'll be back first thing in morning. Also, he has a second guy who told him to call if the first guy falls through. Also, counted the shutters and located the hardware.

We spent all day planning and working out details. I even walked him through disconnecting the garage door sensors from the brackets and hanging them well above ground. Otherwise they will be under water with just a few inches of intrusion. A small detail, but nonetheless.

Thanks again. Really appreciated.
      Today, 09:00 PM   #10
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sounds like you have it all planned out better than many Floridians. Good luck to you son.
DrVenture1103.50
      Today, 10:03 PM   #11
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Drives: OG M2 • Exige

A plan is all you can have.

Luckily all the models are showing that it'll die close to the coast. I hope for everyone's sake that's true.
Appreciate 1
DrVenture1103.50
      Today, 10:04 PM   #12
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Our winter home is half an hour north of Fort Lauderdale, 12 miles inland and up against the Everglades. This will probably be a cat 4, and no guarantee which direction it goes, but seems to be headed to Sarasota at the moment. If we were there now, we would be flying out tomorrow morning. Really only willing to sit out cat 2 or less, and we have hurricane windows. If the storm is 3 or stronger, we leave. Milton is currently forecast to be a cat 1 when it reaches Jacksonville, for pete's sake, so who knows how strong it will be when it reaches Orlando. Also, there has been so much rain down there lately, this will certainly be another flood event. Glad my flood insurance is current.
Appreciate 0