New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-06-2023, 03:10 PM   #529
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I sort of feel the same. I rented a convertible once when visiting Florida - you'd think that's the ideal location to have a convertible. The sun was so blazing hot it was extremely uncomfortable driving it with the top down.

And the whole thing with wind in the hair.... I guess if I have nowhere to go that's fine - but showing up somewhere looking like you've just ran from a tornado doesn't seem appealing.

IMO the only time a convertible is acceptable is when you have an insane sounding car - and even then I'd have to have the windows rolled up to prevent too much wind.
Ya, we think similarly. I know MANY ppl are (to me) crazy since whenever there is blazing sun, they immediately have their tops down...I mean, did they miss the bulletin on skin cancer? Not really only that, it's just freaking uncomfortable, I don't get it.

To me, the ideal top-down scenario is slightly overcast so there's sun but not glaring, little to no wind (I hate getting my hair messed up too). I don't really get the 'open air'/openness feeling, I mainly do it to hear the exhaust more and that makes me more connected w the car, but that's about it. Oh, I'm a wee bit apprehensive about the added attn it brings w the top down so that's not a + for me either. Maybe some ppl are more clastraphobic than me, so having a convertible is a big draw to them, I dunno.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 03:23 PM   #530
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Here's another one:

I love pets, had a few, but I think it's unnatural, poor things are separated from their parents, to live alone w a weird species usually w/o their own kind more often than not. It's kinda a lonely existence for them in that sense...but then again, what happens to all these domesticated animals if we decide that pets aren't a good idea anymore? I guess I'm conflicted.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 03:28 PM   #531
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ya, we think similarly. I know MANY ppl are (to me) crazy since whenever there is blazing sun, they immediately have their tops down...I mean, did they miss the bulletin on skin cancer? Not really only that, it's just freaking uncomfortable, I don't get it.

To me, the ideal top-down scenario is slightly overcast so there's sun but not glaring, little to no wind (I hate getting my hair messed up too). I don't really get the 'open air'/openness feeling, I mainly do it to hear the exhaust more and that makes me more connected w the car, but that's about it. Oh, I'm a wee bit apprehensive about the added attn it brings w the top down so that's not a + for me either. Maybe some ppl are more clastraphobic than me, so having a convertible is a big draw to them, I dunno.
Yeah whenever I drove with the top down I felt exposed

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 04:00 PM   #532
shobotan
Australia
Rep

Drives: F22 M240i Coupe

The whole sorry Harry & Meghan saga is not news.

This may well be popular opinion amongst my fellow 2ers, however news editors in my neck of the woods have it as a lead story occupying considerable time in news bulletins.
At least one network thinks it has the target audience worked out running "the Interview" straight after the local soap opera.

PS This is not Prince William.
Appreciate 1
kscarrol8907.50
      01-06-2023, 04:55 PM   #533
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
I sort of feel the same. I rented a convertible once when visiting Florida - you'd think that's the ideal location to have a convertible. The sun was so blazing hot it was extremely uncomfortable driving it with the top down.

And the whole thing with wind in the hair.... I guess if I have nowhere to go that's fine - but showing up somewhere looking like you've just ran from a tornado doesn't seem appealing.

IMO the only time a convertible is acceptable is when you have an insane sounding car - and even then I'd have to have the windows rolled up to prevent too much wind.
You groan loudly every time you stand you up, don't you?

I always wore a hat, but I typically kept the top up above 90 or so. Even though the NC Miata has a brilliant vent below and to the right of the steering wheel. If you're wearing shorts, it's aimed perfectly at the boys to prevent swampiness.

But sunny, cooler weather with heated seats is the PERFECT convertible weather.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317971.00
      01-06-2023, 05:43 PM   #534
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
You groan loudly every time you stand you up, don't you?
Only on Bimmerpost

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 08:54 PM   #535
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I am a huge vert fan, it adds a lot to the experience, especially if the roads are a bit bland. It also makes you feel like you are going faster than you are.

Ideal weather is early summer evening, say 2 hrs before sunset. Warm but not hot, top down, engine and exhaust barking when changing down etc etc.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2023, 08:56 PM   #536
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Here's another one:

I love pets, had a few, but I think it's unnatural, poor things are separated from their parents, to live alone w a weird species usually w/o their own kind more often than not. It's kinda a lonely existence for them in that sense...but then again, what happens to all these domesticated animals if we decide that pets aren't a good idea anymore? I guess I'm conflicted.
I'll add, pets belong outside, i can't stand them inside. I used to have at least two of everything so they don't get lonely but they never stepped in the house.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 09:39 PM   #537
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I'll add, pets belong outside, i can't stand them inside. I used to have at least two of everything so they don't get lonely but they never stepped in the house.
Wow, that should be an unpopular opinion, unless you are/were a farmer and treat them as livestock (or you have large pets like horses or llamas). To me, pets are family, they belong inside. I don't get why one should keep them outside, meaning less interaction w them.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 09:42 PM   #538
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I am a huge vert fan, it adds a lot to the experience, especially if the roads are a bit bland. It also makes you feel like you are going faster than you are.

Ideal weather is early summer evening, say 2 hrs before sunset. Warm but not hot, top down, engine and exhaust barking when changing down etc etc.
Ya, it definitely adds to the experience, but, to me, it's quite incremental/minimal....ok, hard to put into words, it's good, but it's not like I really crave having the top down whenever possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 09:44 PM   #539
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that should be an unpopular opinion, unless you are/were a farmer and treat them as livestock (or you have large pets like horses or llamas). To me, pets are family, they belong inside. I don't get why one should keep them outside, meaning less interaction w them.
They lick heir own arseholes, they're not family. Like you said, they need each other, not us. My three dogs still oved a wrestle and to play fetch or whatever but they had their doggie house outside and that was that. We had 5 acres so yeah, bit of space and winter never got below 5.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 09:57 PM   #540
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
They lick heir own arseholes, they're not family. Like you said, they need each other, not us. My three dogs still oved a wrestle and to play fetch or whatever but they had their doggie house outside and that was that. We had 5 acres so yeah, bit of space and winter never got below 5.
Dogs are pretty dirty but if I did have one, they would definitely be family and kept inside. Does that mean you don't love them as much since you kept them outside or is that irrelevant?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 11:04 PM   #541
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Scrabble sucks because they insist on allowing all those fake 'words', what the heck is XJ, QT, etc? Who invented all that bs?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 12:16 PM   #542
gary_william
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2013 128i

Quote:
Most humans would lick their own arseholes if they could.
Appreciate 2
Alfisti6502.50
UncleWede18019.00
      01-08-2023, 12:24 PM   #543
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_william View Post
Most humans would lick their own arseholes if they could.
Umm, I hope that is an unpopular opinion lol. Speaking of which, I don't get ppl (esp straight men) into anal...might as well play for the other team (not that there's anything wrong w that). /Seinfeld For the other team, there's no choice, and I get it, but for hetero men, what the heck are you thinking?!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 08:32 PM   #544
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Dogs are pretty dirty but if I did have one, they would definitely be family and kept inside. Does that mean you don't love them as much since you kept them outside or is that irrelevant?
Yeah probably. I am a very matter of fact man, I liked my pets but never really loved them because they're just animals. Most of their "affection" is just because they are smart enough to know where their meals come from.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2023, 09:57 PM   #545
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah probably. I am a very matter of fact man, I liked my pets but never really loved them because they're just animals. Most of their "affection" is just because they are smart enough to know where their meals come from.
Ouch haha, at least you're forthright. What melts your heart then, Alfisti? You must have some softspot or 'weakness', I gotta find it!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 09:59 PM   #546
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ouch haha, at least you're forthright. What melts your heart then, Alfisti? You must have some softspot or 'weakness', I gotta find it!

Appreciate 1
Esteban43739.00
      01-08-2023, 10:10 PM   #547
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
I'd say his kids, too. At least it sounds that way from a post of his if I remember right.
      01-08-2023, 10:24 PM   #548
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like an interesting topic for a new thread.
      01-09-2023, 12:09 AM   #549
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I'd say his kids, too. At least it sounds that way from a post of his if I remember right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Sounds like an interesting topic for a new thread.
I sure hope so, but you know kids can get pretty filthy....I wonder if he keeps them outside too

Ya, start the thread
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 12:13 AM   #550
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I sure hope so, but you know kids can get pretty filthy....I wonder if he keeps them outside too

Ya, start the thread
You said it, you start it.