New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

11-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Whistler Blackcomb Suggestions

So my annual west coast snowboarding trip this year will be at whistler. Flight and house all booked (staying 6 days)but I'm deciding how many days will be sufficient enough to cover both mountains. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also I would like to take a day off in-between to go around town and do some stuff. What's there to do? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
So my annual west coast snowboarding trip this year will be at whistler. Flight and house all booked (staying 6 days)but I'm deciding how many days will be sufficient enough to cover both mountains. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also I would like to take a day off in-between to go around town and do some stuff. What's there to do? Thanks
I've been up there a few times but only once in the winter and didn't do any skiing. I can tell you some of what you should see though:

1) Peak 2 Peak Gondala - not only does it make getting between both mountains easy, but it's just an engineering marvel with spectacular views. Don't miss it. Nearby there is a fabulous lodge which is pretty large. They sell some amazing poutine and have panoramic views of the mountains. Be sure to get a photo with the famous Ilanaaq outside.
2) Whistler Village is well...a village. It is a very charming and nice to be in. No cars are allowed. It has a very festive atmosphere. Place is kind of small but still cool. There are some nice little restaurants and bars around. I can name a few of my favorites if you'd like. A lot of little boutique stores as well along with some more mainstream ones like Lululemon.
3) The ice rink is pretty small but is worth checking out once.

I'm sure there's snowmobiling and a bunch of other stuff, but I've never participated in winter sports so I can't speak to that.

Personally I prefer going there in the summer. The weather is just outstanding (only time of the year when PNW weather is good), there are miles and miles of hiking trails to explore, nearby lakes to see, lots of mountain biking, sun stays out all day, and you don't freeze your balls off.

And let's not forget...driving from Vancouver to Whistler alone Sea 2 Sky highway's winding roads in a BMW is a memorable and joyous occasion. Can't do that in the winter months.

Last edited by Germanauto; 12-01-2016 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      12-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Btw have you ever been to downtown Vancouver? Sounds like you won't have time this trip, but be sure to come back during the summer months. One of the most spectacular cities in the world.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

With respect to the first question, it depends on how good a skiier/boarder you are. If you're into challenging yourself with double black diamonds and the like, you need probably a good five days on mountain. It's a huge amount of terrain. On Whistler, you'll definitely want to the Bowls (Sun, Flute, Whistler, West, and Bagel). You'll want to end your day on a massive ski out starting at the Peak coming down through Franz to either Creekside or the Village. On Blackcomb, Seventh Heaven (including the Blackcomb Glacier) and all the stuff off the Crystal Chair are awesome. You'll probably want to spend slightly more time on Whistler than Blackcomb.

OTOH, if you are more of a single black diamond or blue boarder, flip that around and spend a little more time on Blackcomb.

One thing I would suggest is a down day and go do some showshoeing. Whistler has some great snowshoe trails and it's a nice break from lifts and skis/boards.
Appreciate 1
dsad11210.50
      12-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I've been up there a few times but only once in the winter and didn't do any skiing. I can tell you some of what you should see though:

1) Peak 2 Peak Gondala - not only does it make getting between both mountains easy, but it's just an engineering marvel with spectacular views. Don't miss it. Nearby there is a fabulous lodge which is pretty large. They sell some amazing poutine and have panoramic views of the mountains. Be sure to get a photo with the famous Ilanaaq outside.
2) Whistler Village is well...a village. It is a very charming and nice to be in. No cars are allowed. It has a very festive atmosphere. Place is kind of small but still cool. There are some nice little restaurants and bars around. I can name a few of my favorites if you'd like. A lot of little boutique stores as well along with some more mainstream ones like Lululemon.
3) The ice rink is pretty small but is worth checking out once.

I'm sure there's snowmobiling and a bunch of other stuff, but I've never participated in winter sports so I can't speak to that.

Personally I prefer going there in the summer. The weather is just outstanding (only time of the year when PNW weather is good), there are miles and miles of hiking trails to explore, nearby lakes to see, lots of mountain biking, sun stays out all day, and you don't freeze your balls off.

And let's not forget...driving from Vancouver to Whistler alone Sea 2 Sky highway's winding roads in a BMW is a memorable and joyous occasion. Can't do that in the winter months.
Thanks man. I'm actually driving from Seattle to whister. Flights were half than flying to Vancouver.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man. I'm actually driving from Seattle to whister. Flights were half than flying to Vancouver.
Oh nice! Do stop in Vancouver briefly if you have time. One of the routes to Sea 2 Sky is through downtown and Stanley Park.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #7
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
With respect to the first question, it depends on how good a skiier/boarder you are. If you're into challenging yourself with double black diamonds and the like, you need probably a good five days on mountain. It's a huge amount of terrain. On Whistler, you'll definitely want to the Bowls (Sun, Flute, Whistler, West, and Bagel). You'll want to end your day on a massive ski out starting at the Peak coming down through Franz to either Creekside or the Village. On Blackcomb, Seventh Heaven (including the Blackcomb Glacier) and all the stuff off the Crystal Chair are awesome. You'll probably want to spend slightly more time on Whistler than Blackcomb.

OTOH, if you are more of a single black diamond or blue boarder, flip that around and spend a little more time on Blackcomb.

One thing I would suggest is a down day and go do some showshoeing. Whistler has some great snowshoe trails and it's a nice break from lifts and skis/boards.
Let's just say I'm a expert snowboarder. Diamonds are usually not fun due to the vertical and moguls which are strictly for skiiers. I like to bomb down the mountain trying hit 60+ mph
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #8
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Let's just say I'm a expert snowboarder. Diamonds are usually not fun due to the vertical and moguls which are strictly for skiiers. I like to bomb down the mountain trying hit 60+ mph
Fair enough ... I'm a skier, not boarder and I prefer bombing down the mountain to moguls and stuff these days too (battered knees and all).

There's tons of variety at both mountains. The glaciers at Blackcomb but especially the bowls at Whistler. There's tons of great stuff.

The one run you have to try on Whistler if you like fast is the Dave Murray Downhill (named after the legendary Crazy Canuck and follows the run used for the World Cup downhill races whenever they've been run in Whistler and was also used for the 2010 Olympics downhill and Super-G races). It's at the top of a chair you won't use much called Garbanzo (just off to the right). You can also get there from top of the Village Gondola by taking Upper Whiskey Jack. If you like speed, it's an absolute must do!
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      12-01-2016, 10:32 PM   #9
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Fair enough ... I'm a skier, not boarder and I prefer bombing down the mountain to moguls and stuff these days too (battered knees and all).

There's tons of variety at both mountains. The glaciers at Blackcomb but especially the bowls at Whistler. There's tons of great stuff.

The one run you have to try on Whistler if you like fast is the Dave Murray Downhill (named after the legendary Crazy Canuck and follows the run used for the World Cup downhill races whenever they've been run in Whistler and was also used for the 2010 Olympics downhill and Super-G races). It's at the top of a chair you won't use much called Garbanzo (just off to the right). You can also get there from top of the Village Gondola by taking Upper Whiskey Jack. If you like speed, it's an absolute must do!
Thanks man. Def appreciate the insight. Will try that with the trace snow app on
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 12:41 AM   #10
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Try and buy a pass for "first tracks" which lets only a limited number of people on the hill early morning to get some fresh snow.

Here are a few recommendations on places to eat in case you decide to go out. Without question the best place is The Rim Rock. Hys makes a great steak, and Quattro is where you want to go for pasta. Take my advice and skip Araxis (no matter how tempting it looks). I go up there every month during the winter season and always hit the Rim Rock, Hys and Quattro every trip. The village is a nice walk through and there are good places to have a beer, but dont expect to do any good shopping or anything like that. Strangely for a place that attracts people with money there is nothing worth spending money on.
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      12-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #11
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Try and buy a pass for "first tracks" which lets only a limited number of people on the hill early morning to get some fresh snow.

Here are a few recommendations on places to eat in case you decide to go out. Without question the best place is The Rim Rock. Hys makes a great steak, and Quattro is where you want to go for pasta. Take my advice and skip Araxis (no matter how tempting it looks). I go up there every month during the winter season and always hit the Rim Rock, Hys and Quattro every trip. The village is a nice walk through and there are good places to have a beer, but dont expect to do any good shopping or anything like that. Strangely for a place that attracts people with money there is nothing worth spending money on.
Thanks man. Appreciate it. I'm planning on staying in Vancouver for a day as well. Anything worth doing in the day?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 11:39 PM   #12
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

^It's a bummer but the weather really blows this time of year. It'll be cold and rainy for sure. The great thing is that everything is within a 10-15 min walk of one another. Where will you be staying downtown?

You need to visit the waterfront and the Olympic cauldron. They are a must. If you are staying at a Fairmont you can rent bikes and bike the entire waterfront route all the way from the cruise ships around Stanley Park. Bikes can be rented too. I highly recommend having breakfast at De Dutch along the waterfront. Beautiful views and excellent food. Also, Bella Gelateria in the Fairmont Pacific Rim is an award-winning Gelato place that's worth checking out.

The area in and around Robson St. is the most lively during the day and evening. That's where the shopping and some restaurants are. The new Nordstrom has really helped make the area that much better. Be sure to check out Cafe Crepe (nutella + cinnamon crepe is to die for). A couple blocks away is Holt Renfrew and an underground mall with some higher end stores like Apple and the lot. If you like Indian food then there's an excellent place called Salaam Bombay just across the street from the historic Fairmont downtown hotel.

Gastown is a short walk east of downtown and it's neat as well! It's the oldest part of Vancouver and is more "hipsterish" in its vibe. There are old cobblestone roads and buildings and a bunch of boutique restaurants and bars. Definitely worth a visit.

Nightlife isn't as good as other cities, but if you're into clubs then Granville St. is pretty much where to be at. If you're past that stage in life, Gastown is better.

The only part of Vancouver I'd deem "unsafe" is E Hastings St. It just gets littered with junkies after dark. You have no reason to go there anyway so you'll be alright. Otherwise, Vancouver is probably the safest city I have ever been to. You have absolutely nothing to fret about.

Last edited by Germanauto; 12-15-2016 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      12-16-2016, 08:30 AM   #13
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
^It's a bummer but the weather really blows this time of year. It'll be cold and rainy for sure. The great thing is that everything is within a 10-15 min walk of one another. Where will you be staying downtown?

You need to visit the waterfront and the Olympic cauldron. They are a must. If you are staying at a Fairmont you can rent bikes and bike the entire waterfront route all the way from the cruise ships around Stanley Park. Bikes can be rented too. I highly recommend having breakfast at De Dutch along the waterfront. Beautiful views and excellent food. Also, Bella Gelateria in the Fairmont Pacific Rim is an award-winning Gelato place that's worth checking out.

The area in and around Robson St. is the most lively during the day and evening. That's where the shopping and some restaurants are. The new Nordstrom has really helped make the area that much better. Be sure to check out Cafe Crepe (nutella + cinnamon crepe is to die for). A couple blocks away is Holt Renfrew and an underground mall with some higher end stores like Apple and the lot. If you like Indian food then there's an excellent place called Salaam Bombay just across the street from the historic Fairmont downtown hotel.

Gastown is a short walk east of downtown and it's neat as well! It's the oldest part of Vancouver and is more "hipsterish" in its vibe. There are old cobblestone roads and buildings and a bunch of boutique restaurants and bars. Definitely worth a visit.

Nightlife isn't as good as other cities, but if you're into clubs then Granville St. is pretty much where to be at. If you're past that stage in life, Gastown is better.

The only part of Vancouver I'd deem "unsafe" is E Hastings St. It just gets littered with junkies after dark. You have no reason to go there anyway so you'll be alright. Otherwise, Vancouver is probably the safest city I have ever been to. You have absolutely nothing to fret about.
Haven't figured out a place yet. Most likely downtown.
Really just trying to relax and eat good food before we head back to the NY. I'm probably going to be exhausted from 5 days straight boarding in whistler. Mid January's weather is bad?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 10:48 AM   #14
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haven't figured out a place yet. Most likely downtown.
Really just trying to relax and eat good food before we head back to the NY. I'm probably going to be exhausted from 5 days straight boarding in whistler. Mid January's weather is bad?
Yeah it's understandable you'll be a bit tired and in the mood to relax. Well for that, I'd most recommend just taking a stroll around the waterfront area and Robson. Both areas are literally at 10 min walk from one another. And yes, in the Pacific NW we don't really see the sun at all from October - May/June. Clouds and drizzle man...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #15
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow whistler was EPIC. I was fortunate to get 3 sunny days before a storm came in. Whistler side is more enjoyable than the blackcomb side.
Peak to Peak gondola was a nice scenic ride. I love them poutines lol
sea to sky highway is such a blast to drive. Wish I had the M there.

Last edited by R3dliner; 02-01-2017 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0