New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-08-2023, 05:31 PM   #7503
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Murf the Surf

Have a Canadian question - those yellow speed limit signs on onramps and offramps that are marked say 40km/h or 60km/h....someone once told me that the yellow means they aren't enforceable like the white background speed limit signs on roadways / highways.

I'm a little suspect of that explanation, but admittedly, the suggested speed limits are ridiculously low so maybe there is some truth to it?
The yellow signs on ramps etc are recommended speeds not enforced.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2023, 07:00 PM   #7504
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
I do wonder if the signs around here that say "Police take notice" have a similar law enforcement effect.
I lived in Amherst, NH in the late-90s and found enforcement was what some might call strict. When I wanted to engage in winter car control exercises outside of organized events, I chose back roads rather than the Walmart parking lot on 101A.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 11:01 PM   #7505
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Sedan, you safe tonight?
Heard 3 got shot in LA somewhere
      03-09-2023, 03:27 AM   #7506
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Sedan, you safe tonight?
Heard 3 got shot in LA somewhere
Thankfully yes! It was LAPD that was dealt the blow tonight. The three officers are stable.
Appreciate 2
GERMAN M34181.00
      03-09-2023, 03:44 AM   #7507
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Just out of curiosity - how do you classify this kind of young person? Someone who has grown up in the system and belongs there? Or someone who needs adult intervention and therapy/rehab/anger management?

I classify him as someone whose mouth is bigger than their capabilities (…the typical street hoodlum tactic; talk big because it scares off the average person). He’s no more or less angry than the common street thugs we deal with daily.

The tactics depicted in that video make me cringe. At 2:57-ish, the officer simply walks away from a volatile person who hasn’t been searched, giving up tactical ground and potentially allowing the driver/suspect to more easily arm himself. At 4:58-ish the officer has ZERO control of that suspect. I can’t believe modern officers still conduct pat downs without any physical control. Interestingly, at 6:32 the suspect says, “When I get out of these cuffs, what’chu gonna do?!?,” but the entire time he wasn’t cuffed and he wasn’t physically controlled by officers he didn’t do a thing. At 8:37 it was more of the same; empty threats. I see that behavior all of the time as well. Intervention will not help him. He’s a spawn of the streets.
Appreciate 3
      03-09-2023, 05:35 AM   #7508
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Man I love this thread - very interesting insight Sedan - thank you, fascinating breakdown.

I'm sure you noticed the tesla squad car, thought that was interesting - symbolic maybe that it's an affluent area I reckon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      03-09-2023, 06:44 AM   #7509
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I classify him as someone whose mouth is bigger than their capabilities (…the typical street hoodlum tactic; talk big because it scares off the average person). He’s no more or less angry than the common street thugs we deal with daily.

The tactics depicted in that video make me cringe. At 2:57-ish, the officer simply walks away from a volatile person who hasn’t been searched, giving up tactical ground and potentially allowing the driver/suspect to more easily arm himself. At 4:58-ish the officer has ZERO control of that suspect. I can’t believe modern officers still conduct pat downs without any physical control. Interestingly, at 6:32 the suspect says, “When I get out of these cuffs, what’chu gonna do?!?,” but the entire time he wasn’t cuffed and he wasn’t physically controlled by officers he didn’t do a thing. At 8:37 it was more of the same; empty threats. I see that behavior all of the time as well. Intervention will not help him. He’s a spawn of the streets.
There's a saying for those types over here, all mouth and no trousers
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24973.00
Buug95917177.00
      03-09-2023, 11:32 AM   #7510
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Man I love this thread - very interesting insight Sedan - thank you, fascinating breakdown.

I'm sure you noticed the tesla squad car, thought that was interesting - symbolic maybe that it's an affluent area I reckon?
Any time!

Another thing……as it pertains to physical control, suspects can feel weakness; we all can. When we place our hands on someone with purpose, it is felt and it sends a clear message to the person we’re detaining. When you don’t send that message, suspects view that as an opportunity to engage and get the upper hand. That is a bad place to be in if you’re the officer; the suspect knows what he/she will do long before we do. As law enforcement, we are always on the back foot; completely reactionary. The best thing we can do is control certain aspects of the environment as best we can.

Yes, I noticed the TESLA squad car (…we have a few demo cars like that on my department, too), but I reckon the Sergeant on scene was the individual driving that vehicle. The Sergeant isn’t on the line and was called out because of the uncooperative suspect. EV’s will not survive as patrol vehicles. There’s just no feasible way to do it. They lack the capability to be driven almost non-stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
There's a saying for those types over here, all mouth and no trousers

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-09-2023 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2023, 12:00 PM   #7511
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Local BMW dealer gave our department an X3 poser. I offered to race the chief (in controlled surroundings, of course) when wife had her X3. He couldn't put up the pink, since it was some sort of loan program I further offered to just drive it around the block once in a while, free up the brake rotors. I don't think it has ever left the parking lot. Maybe a senior citizen B-day parade, ONCE.
      03-09-2023, 01:01 PM   #7512
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

I have a shady neighbor. He gets cars, puts out of date plates on them, has them a while, and then they disappear.

He seems to be keeping one of them and has the plates from one of his registered cars on this other car (a fairly new Carrera S Cabriolet). So, to be clear, he has a valid plate that he is running on two different cars for some reason. The valid plate goes to a Jeep and not the Porsche.

Neighbors are getting worked up about it and I'm not sure what to tell them. So I ask here: Is this something that the local police should be made aware of? I'm guessing he's avoiding property tax; neighbors worried that the vehicle is stolen.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 01:55 PM   #7513
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
I have a shady neighbor. He gets cars, puts out of date plates on them, has them a while, and then they disappear.

He seems to be keeping one of them and has the plates from one of his registered cars on this other car (a fairly new Carrera S Cabriolet). So, to be clear, he has a valid plate that he is running on two different cars for some reason. The valid plate goes to a Jeep and not the Porsche.

Neighbors are getting worked up about it and I'm not sure what to tell them. So I ask here: Is this something that the local police should be made aware of? I'm guessing he's avoiding property tax; neighbors worried that the vehicle is stolen.
Sounds like he's avoiding registration/licensing fees and maybe insurance. Cars could be stolen, or plates. Not sure why you think property tax issue maybe things are different in the US regarding that.

It wasn't uncommon to see people screwing around with licence plates that were either stolen or the car was.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      03-09-2023, 02:15 PM   #7514
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Sounds like he's avoiding registration/licensing fees and maybe insurance. Cars could be stolen, or plates. Not sure why you think property tax issue maybe things are different in the US regarding that.

It wasn't uncommon to see people screwing around with licence plates that were either stolen or the car was.
It’s exactly this! People will do weird crap to avoid paying license/registration fees here in the states. What he’s doing is a felony in California. I have seen people manufacturer the new California paper plates to avoid detection (…see attached; it is completely fraudulent, but looks legitimate…..but notice the VIN font isn’t right).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-09-2023, 03:50 PM   #7515
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It’s exactly this! People will do weird crap to avoid paying license/registration fees here in the states. What he’s doing is a felony in California. I have seen people manufacturer the new California paper plates to avoid detection (…see attached; it is completely fraudulent, but looks legitimate…..but notice the VIN font isn’t right).
I used to love pulling the plates and towing cars out of peoples driveways. When we got the MDT's it made searching plates so much easier. The owner usually was a suspended driver to boot.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 03:52 PM   #7516
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Property taxes are paid each year for registered vehicles. So I thought maybe it was unregistered.

He had a Bentley that had out of state plates and an inspection sticker 6 years expired.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 04:08 PM   #7517
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

If police won't respond, try the code enforcement of the city/county. Illegal storage/repair of vehicles.
      03-09-2023, 04:21 PM   #7518
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
Property taxes are paid each year for registered vehicles. So I thought maybe it was unregistered.

He had a Bentley that had out of state plates and an inspection sticker 6 years expired.
That's very different from the system we have in Canada to pay property taxes.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 04:22 PM   #7519
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You also have much better cheese. Albeit, not in an aerosol can.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2023, 05:01 PM   #7520
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I used to love pulling the plates and towing cars out of peoples driveways. When we got the MDT's it made searching plates so much easier. The owner usually was a suspended driver to boot.
Here in California, as long as it's not parked on public roads, we can't really do anything about it (..and Code Enforcement will not do anything unless your front yard looks like an auto shop; a disabled/inoperable vehicle isn't enough to warrant any action from Code Enforcement, especially if the yard is tidy and the car is well kept or covered). As soon as it leaves private property it's ours.

Quote:
This must vary from state to state. I do not believe that is the case here in California.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 05:03 PM   #7521
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here in California, as long as it's not parked on public roads, we can't really do anything about it (..and Code Enforcement will not do anything unless your front yard looks like an auto shop; a disabled/inoperable vehicle isn't enough to warrant any action from Code Enforcement, especially if the yard is tidy and the car is well kept or covered). As soon as it leaves private property it's ours.

This must vary from state to state. I do not believe that is the case here in California.
The Highway Terrific Act let us pull plates and tow cars anywhere we found them with the wrong plates. I always loved the weird statutes that seemed wrong but so right.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      03-09-2023, 06:05 PM   #7522
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Oh joy! Typical So.Cal. This guy has articulated he wants to commit suicide-by-cop. It’s going to be one of those days.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 06:32 PM   #7523
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
The method of assessing annual taxes on motor vehicles here in the States can vary quite a bit. In some states it will cost a fair amount each year to renew a vehicle's registration. In other states it will cost only a modest amount.

One fairly recent California governor got just a bit rambunctious in his assessment of what the state's citizens would tolerate and had a very promising political career ended prematurely. That governor went from "Hello, White House!" to looking for a job.

His mistake? Tripling already-high annual auto registration fees. That earned the governor the distinction of being the first in California history to have a recall attempt qualify for the ballot. He then went on to be recalled. Hello, Arnie!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 06:37 PM   #7524
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
The method of assessing annual taxes on motor vehicles here in the States can vary quite a bit. In some states it will cost a fair amount each year to renew a vehicle's registration. In other states it will cost only a modest amount.

One fairly recent California governor got just a bit rambunctious in his assessment of what the state's citizens would tolerate and had a very promising political career ended prematurely. That governor went from "Hello, White House!" to looking for a job.

His mistake? Tripling already-high annual auto registration fees. That earned the governor the distinction of being the first in California history to have a recall attempt qualify for the ballot. He then went on to be recalled. Hello, Arnie!
Yep! Arnold lowered that auto registration fee significantly. The M3 I owned at the time went from having at $1000+ renewal rate to around $500. Sweet!

Speaking of renewals, I have owned the 992 about a year now and my renewal is $1200. Face palm!
Appreciate 0