New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

05-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #67
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I'm guessing Austin, TX was chosen because of its location is between two major populations in East and West coast. Also the state/city/local government is backing the event.

Given the status of how broke California is, I don't think anyone will have enough money. (I'm not sure how the track and event will be funded).
      05-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #68
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Strategy!

It's in Texas because of geogrphical strateeegerrry. At the center and as far away from Montreal. It will generate a larger fan base as a whole for F1. This is the fundamental reason and fortunatley Austin was the city.

Can't be in California because liberal types won't allow the extra pollution generated by the F1 cars.

Unfortunately, NY is way to close to Montreal..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #69
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
It's in Texas because of geogrphical strateeegerrry. At the center and as far away from Montreal. It will generate a larger fan base as a whole for F1. This is the fundamental reason and fortunatley Austin was the city.

Can't be in California because liberal types won't allow the extra pollution generated by the F1 cars.

The liberals will require all F1 cars run on KERS and thought they are Prius...
      05-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #70
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
That's a cop out answer as there are 8 races within about a 1,000mi radius in Europe.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #71
lib
Major
Rep

Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
3cities >22mill? The whole state has 24mill(2009).....
While I was quoting a figure I read elsewhere it's actually fairly close.

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/chs/popdat/ST2010.shtm

2010 numbers put the state population just over 25.3 million. 22.2 million of those are in various metro areas. Virtually all of those are spread between Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin and their suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
Of the top 25 metro populated areas CA alone has 5. <...>
Then consider 3 more larger cities on the west coast in addition to the 37mill in CA:

Phoenix Metro: 4,281,900(2008 Wiki)
Portland Metro: 2,159,720(2009 Wiki)
Seattle Metro : 3,407,848(2009 Wiki)
I completely agree that CA has a large population (it's a fact) but counting the area from San Diego to Seattle, San Fransisco to Phoenix in order to inflate the numbers is a bit of a stretch. People who are going to spend $500+ on a race ticket aren't going to spend 20 hours in a car - they'll fly. Once you're forced to fly it no longer matters whether you're flying 500 miles or 1500.

You also may not want to use the list of the top 25 cities by population as your measure. TX has 6, CA has 4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

In the end it really doesn't matter. There are more than enough people in all of the regions discussed here to easily support F1.

Last edited by lib; 05-27-2010 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #72
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

Drives: M6

The only places in the USA that Bernie would ever deal with for F1:

Miami (broke)
Las Vegas
NYC (which is completely out of the running, there would be riots in the streets if Bloomberg paid 100+ million in taxpayer money for an F1 race)
Indianapolis (if tony george goes away)
NorCal (Laguna Seca or Infineon)

It's just not gonna happen anywhere else.

Laguna and Infineon are pretty unlikely - Laguna would need to be significantly widened to meet F1 requirements, new facilities would be needed, etc.

Bernie only wants to deal with places where government money can freely be poured in to build tracks and pay his fees. That eliminates pretty much everywhere in the USA except Vegas, honestly.

And you're high as a kite if you think Bernie would ever set one of his snobbish, Prada-clad toes into Texas. F1 is all about snob appeal, and nothing is less appealing to snobs than Americans. Especially Texans. The Eurosnobs would say that Bernie may as well call it the Wal Mart Grand Prix.

Last edited by FStop7; 05-28-2010 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #73
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: CSL

^You're wrong
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #74
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep

Drives: Water camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post

Miami (broke)
Las Vegas
NYC (which is completely out of the running, there would be riots in the streets if Bloomberg paid 100+ million in taxpayer money for an F1 race)

Laguna and Infineon are pretty unlikely - Laguna would need to be significantly widened to meet F1 requirements, new facilities would be needed, etc.

Bernie only wants to deal with places where government money can freely be poured in to build tracks and pay his fees. That eliminates pretty much everywhere in the USA except Vegas, honestly.

And you're high as a kite if you think Bernie would ever set one of his snobbish, Prada-clad toes into Texas. F1 is all about snob appeal, and nothing is less appealing to snobs than Americans. Especially Texans. The Eurosnobs would say that Bernie may as well call it the Wal Mart Grand Prix.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #75
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Drives: M2 Comp

lol... FStop7, time for reading 101
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #76
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep

Drives: It Like He Stole It

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
That's a cop out answer as there are 8 races within about a 1,000mi radius in Europe.
Other than the Spanish races which ones don't have a lot of history behind them? The US has nothing going for it in terms of modern F1 tracks with history. Europe is also full of F1 fans. This side of the pond is not. So yes, spreading the races will in fact broaden the audience.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #77
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Miami (broke)
Las Vegas

WTF???
      05-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #78
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

Guys, the Texas thing is never gonna happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #79
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Maybe it will, maybe it won't...who knows?
Maybe 2012 end of the world comes early....
ah shit...how would i know....

I have doubts about Austin TX to held F1....but now never exclude any possibilities....
even in 2010, we dun even know if we are going to have Korean GP....the track is still under construction....

and this is 2 years later....how do we know...

another example will be the British GP...Donington park or Silverstone....or Bernie did even said once there might not be a British GP...that issue wasn't being solved until late 2009.
      05-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #80
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Guys, the Texas thing is never gonna happen.
Well, it is about to happen.

Go do some reading: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...0/5/10824.html
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #81
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
Well, it is about to happen.

Go do some reading: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...0/5/10824.html
If making things real were as easy as sending out press releases then US F1 would currently be the #1 team on the grid and the British GP would be held at Donnington Park.

Last edited by FStop7; 05-28-2010 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #82
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

Miami (broke)
Las Vegas

Just because hicks do not like Formula 1, does not mean it has 'snob' appeal.

Have you ever been to a Formula 1 Grand Prix? Have you met with the local demographic at one?

My guess is "No" to both, unless you spent all of your time in the Paddock sipping Mumm and talking about your portfolio.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #83
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
Yes. There is. You have to remember that no one who lives in Austin actually grew up in TX.

Yes. I know, I know. It's Texas. I used to share your thoughts on Texas.

I grew up in NY. I've lived on both coasts. I used to swear I would never permanently move out of the North East. I was extremely skeptical about moving to Austin. In the end I learned none of what I was told about Texas actually applied to Austin. I was simply ignorant about the area and so are you.

Now, if they had chosen any other part of Texas...

Everyone agrees that NY & LA would have made sense. The problem is neither of those cities are able to do what needs to be done to get F1.

3 of the top 10 largest cities in the US and >22 million people are within 180 miles of Austin.

It's certainly no NY, but if we're honest neither is anywhere else in the world.

Interesting points, didn't know this about Austin. I guess we will have to cross our fingers and hope that the Texas demographics can keep hopes of a U.S. Grand Prix alive.

I wonder what went wrong with Monticello or Watkins Glen, perhaps they just couldn't gather up the necessary funding?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #84
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Just because hicks do not like Formula 1, does not mean it has 'snob' appeal.

Have you ever been to a Formula 1 Grand Prix? Have you met with the local demographic at one?

My guess is "No" to both, unless you spent all of your time in the Paddock sipping Mumm and talking about your portfolio.
Yep, been to a couple of USGPs at Indy where the crowds were less than huge. I'm not saying it's anybody's fault but Bernie's. He's crafted an image of elitism and snobbery around F1 in which the USA does not fit.

Look at MotoGP. When they come to Indy it sells out - something F1 never achieved. When they go to Laguna Seca it sells out. MotoGP is the F1 of motorcycle racing. What's the difference? MotoGP's image isn't crafted as some kind of ultra pretentious snob fest.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 12:50 AM   #85
gts135
German car nut
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2009 135iM - Cashmere silver

Quote:
Yep, been to a couple of USGPs at Indy where the crowds were less than huge. I'm not saying it's anybody's fault but Bernie's. He's crafted an image of elitism and snobbery around F1 in which the USA does not fit.

Look at MotoGP. When they come to Indy it sells out - something F1 never achieved. When they go to Laguna Seca it sells out. MotoGP is the F1 of motorcycle racing. What's the difference? MotoGP's image isn't crafted as some kind of ultra pretentious snob fest.
Didn't know that about MotoGP at Indy. F1 attracted crowds of 100-120,000 or so. So MotoGP filled the place? Isn't that like 250,000 (probably less because not all seats are open due to track configuration?)?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 01:29 AM   #86
revster
Private
Rep

Drives: 2008 e90 M3

Folks, save your brain cells trying to make sense of this.

If they ever pull this off, you can add Austin to the list of nonsense venues like Magny-Cours, the Istanbul circuit, and the Hungaroring.

Bernie found another sucker.
      05-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #87
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by revster View Post
Folks, save your brain cells trying to make sense of this.

If they ever pull this off, you can add Austin to the list of nonsense venues like Magny-Cours, the Istanbul circuit, and the Hungaroring.

Bernie found another sucker.
Chinese GP with empty stands?
Malaysian GP with free friday entrance?

Don't forgot there's Korean GP coming next...there's a lot of suckers out there who wants to be on the F1 calender...
      05-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #88
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Good point, but look at the direction BE is going, China, Turkey, and sand dunes. At the expense of? Europe.

Who gets dropped in 2012? Anyone? Taking bets. Or perhaps we need another Poll? I pick somewhere in Europe.

Perhaps BE likes Texas for a hot supply of Grid Girls.
Appreciate 0