New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Aston Martin teams up with an icon to build its first-ever motorcycle

Absolutely stunning bike. This is something you could put in your living room.

Aston Martin teams up with an icon to build its first-ever motorcycle
The carmaker turned to none other than Brough Superior when it wanted to make the move to two wheels — and it couldn't have picked a better partner
by DAVID BOOTH | 3 HOURS AGO

https://driving.ca/aston-martin/auto...ver-motorcycle

The Aston Martin and Brough Superior AMB 001Aston Martin

When Aston Martin recently announced it was building a motorcycle in conjunction with Brough Superior, most car enthusiasts were probably wondering why the storied automaker was stooping to build a motorcycle.

In fact, if anyone is slumming in this new relationship, it is Brough, once the pinnacle of two-wheeled exclusivity and favourite of the most famous motorcyclist of all time.

Brough Superior was the brainchild of George Brough, who between 1919 and 1940 crafted some 3,000 some of the most exquisite and exclusive motorcycles the world had ever seen. Most were custom-built, and though the engines were outsourced – usually from J.A. Prestwich but later also Matchless – almost everything else was hand-hewn in house.

Indeed, legend has it that, after H. D. Teague of The Motor Cycle labelled Brough the “Rolls-Royce of motorcycles,” the famed automaker sent over a representative to tell George to cease and desist advertising as such.

Luckily, Brough and his crew were in the process of final assembly for an impending motor show and the Rolls representative was so impressed – the techs were supposedly wearing white gloves whilst assembling bikes – that he reported back that Brough’s motorcycles really did deserve the appellation.

What has made the Brough name an enduring legend, however, is the devotion of its most famous client, T.E. Lawrence. You know him better as “Lawrence of Arabia,” and his love of motorcycles – “A skittish motor-bike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth” – and Broughs in general – he owned eight, and gave them all names – knew no bounds.

He famously died on an SS100 – he was trying to avoid two young boys who had wandered into the road – and his passing so traumatized his attending physician, Hugh Cairns, that he went on to create the research that paved the way for mandatory helmet use.

More recently, Brough was resurrected by long-timer enthusiast Mark Upham in conjunction with Thierry Henriette of Boxer Design, who craft the double-overhead-cam 990-cc 88-degree V-twin on which the AMB 001 is based.

In Aston Martin guise, said big-twin is turbocharged for an output of 180 horsepower – stock modern Broughs are good for about 120 hp – and is mated to a chassis constructed of aluminum, titanium and carbon fibre.

According to Aston Martin’s chief creative officer, Marek Reichman, “in addition to applying the skills we have developed for cars such as the groundbreaking Aston Martin Valkyrie, we have also been able to bring our special expertise in the traditional craft techniques to this project.”

The result is a motorcycle with a double-wishbone front suspension – still something of a rarity in the biking world – and a completely carbon-fibre body which helps keep the AMB 001’s overall weight down to 180 kilograms.

Only 100 examples of the 001 will be made available to the public, at a price of 108,000 Euros – about $157,200 Canadian – and delivery will begin at the end of 2020.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Pretty bike. But absolutely unride-able.
Appreciate 2
Viffermike1753.00
QM287.00
      11-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

looks neat.. one of these concept bikes will make me start riding soon..
      11-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Pretty bike. But absolutely unride-able.
Maybe, but I'd like to think that both partners are actually about motor sports and performance so you would think that it's looks might be deceiving.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Maybe, but I'd like to think that both partners are actually about motor sports and performance so you would think that it's looks might be deceiving.
I'm looking at the tank shape. I find it hard to picture how anyone can get proper body position while keeping their knees properly placed on the tank.

My Ducati 848 is also a victim of the form not necessarily following function. The shape of the tank makes it very difficult for me to keep a good lock on the tank. The tank is just too narrow where my knees touch it.

With this motorcycle, the area where your knee should go is too small and low. Maybe it's just an optical illusion. But I would be interested in seeing an average sized rider sitting on this bike to get a gauge on the ergonomics.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 01:27 PM   #6
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Drives: F80

Looks good, but start adding street legal equipment and the look goes quickly.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh16941.50
Viffermike1753.00
      11-10-2019, 05:44 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I find any of the old Buells more interesting.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #8
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep

Drives: E92M

Quite possibly the worst (functional) design possible. What is with the fin on top of the tank. Aside from obscuring the display, are you expected to rest your chin on the fin while tucking behind the nonexistent wind screen? And with the seat nearly as high as the clip-ons, I cant imagine your expected to ride this bike in a upright position. This bike will only serve to prove that some people have more money than brains. I can only think of three people who would reasonably consider purchasing this bike for their collection... Jay Leno, Tom Cruise, and Brad Pitt. For this kind of coin, I’d take a low mileage Desmosedici RR or two, but then again I’m old school.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 05:18 AM   #9
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Quite possibly the worst (functional) design possible. What is with the fin on top of the tank. Aside from obscuring the display, are you expected to rest your chin on the fin while tucking behind the nonexistent wind screen? And with the seat nearly as high as the clip-ons, I cant imagine your expected to ride this bike in a upright position. This bike will only serve to prove that some people have more money than brains. I can only think of three people who would reasonably consider purchasing this bike for their collection... Jay Leno, Tom Cruise, and Brad Pitt. For this kind of coin, I’d take a low mileage Desmosedici RR or two, but then again I’m old school.
You’re opening sentences is silly. Look at the segment of naked bikes and tell me how any of them, when compared to this Aston isn’t functional. I agree, however, that only the elite will have access to this very expensive very limited model.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      11-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #10
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

I stopped reading when I saw that the engine is turbocharged. No motorcycle benefits from a turbo. Not a single one. Plenty have tried. None have succeeded. (and that's beside the fact that bike motors have absolutely zero need for a turbo's advantages.)

I saw the turbo thang right after I read that it has a double-wishbone front suspension. WTF, on a bike?

:: SMH ::
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #11
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

I'd like to see one in person. It might not be the most practical bike but then that's somewhat subjective really.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #12
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
doesn't look very rideable...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #13
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

I'll wait for the 007 edition equipped with rockets, flamethrower, and oil-slick deployment.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #14
xander_g
Major
Rep

Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
maybe it's the photo but the proportions seem off somehow
Appreciate 0