Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-06-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
JP10
Lieutenant
JP10's Avatar
345
Rep
446
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

How Much Are You Stepping!?

Just wanted to start up a thread regarding step count to see if anyone else looks at this shit as much as I do. I'm constantly wearing my garmin which monitors all sorts of shit, but I mostly just try to hit my step goal. Each day if you meet or miss your goal it alters it either increasing if you hit it or decreasing if you miss it. With that said I try to hit it every day and it has gotten a little out of control. My goals recently have been up around 17,000 steps/day!!?

I've been using garmin products for about a year now so I figure I'll share my stats this year.

Total Steps: 4,088,566
Total Distance: 2,176.21 miles
Daily Avg: 13,275 steps
Most steps in 1 day: 24,688
Most steps in a week: 120,452
Most steps in a month: 482,365

I'm fairly active in general, but the step goals each day are fun for me in a way. Drives me to be a little more active each day. Lets hear some stats, see if anyone can top me!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:02 PM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
2790
Rep
6,668
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Since I started riding I've been less concerned with step counts. Riding burns ~900 cal/hr, so there's no need to hit 10k steps in a day. I still average around 7k steps/day.

A colleague of mine has gone whole hog into walking. I mean, All-In insanity level. A lot of his job is done over the phone, so he walks and talks and never gets far enough away from his office that he can't be back there in a few minutes. But he walks 5k-7k steps per hour during the day. He's dropped 70lbs since he started in July. His weekly high, which he hit last month, was 86 miles in one week. Like I said, insanity. I don't know how he doesn't have major foot issues by now.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
Now_Rudi6134.00
JP10345.00

      11-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #3
JP10
Lieutenant
JP10's Avatar
345
Rep
446
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Since I started riding I've been less concerned with step counts. Riding burns ~900 cal/hr, so there's no need to hit 10k steps in a day. I still average around 7k steps/day.

A colleague of mine has gone whole hog into walking. I mean, All-In insanity level. A lot of his job is done over the phone, so he walks and talks and never gets far enough away from his office that he can't be back there in a few minutes. But he walks 5k-7k steps per hour during the day. He's dropped 70lbs since he started in July. His weekly high, which he hit last month, was 86 miles in one week. Like I said, insanity. I don't know how he doesn't have major foot issues by now.
Riding is definitely a great form of exercise, I hit the stationary bike every now and again when I want to clobber my legs after a tough workout. I don't think steps should be something you should be considered about, not like I shoot for a set amount, I just like yelling "In your face!!!" to my watch each night hahaha. If anything, as long as I get some sort of exercise I feel good for that day.

Good for him dropped that weight, but that is an absurd amount of stepping lol. I'm probably right around 50miles/week, but depends if I'm running much that week. 86 miles in a week is wild, he was probably over 20k steps each day. I'm sure getting that extra weight off has help his joints/feet more then the extra steps have hurt them!

Some of the records people have on Garmin make me look like a lazy ass though, it's insane. People averaging my personal best day each day for 100 days straight... Like what the hell lol, damn marathon runners.
Appreciate 1
Now_Rudi6134.00

      11-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
7905
Rep
7,437
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

10K (fitbit) was too easy. I hit 12.5k about 75% of weekdays, crush it to around 22K on weekends putzing around the yard.

If I run, or on soccer Fridays, I'm genreally in that 20K range.

I'll have to look and see if I can find a yearly total on Fitbit.


One thing that busts me up if I ride my motorcycle to work: by the time I get here I have usually walked 3K
Appreciate 1
JP10345.00

      11-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
Ickdeep's Avatar
United_States
3388
Rep
3,276
Posts

 
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
2015 BMW X5  [5.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [5.00]
I average about 7.5k steps on weekdays and 10k on the weekends (via apple watch). Reason why its lower on the weekday is because I work at an office desk; not really much movement. I used to kind of set goals for myself like 10k steps but already got so much to do so kind of stop caring.
Appreciate 1
JP10345.00

      11-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
JP10
Lieutenant
JP10's Avatar
345
Rep
446
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
10K (fitbit) was too easy. I hit 12.5k about 75% of weekdays, crush it to around 22K on weekends putzing around the yard.

If I run, or on soccer Fridays, I'm genreally in that 20K range.

I'll have to look and see if I can find a yearly total on Fitbit.


One thing that busts me up if I ride my motorcycle to work: by the time I get here I have usually walked 3K
Lol regarding the motorcycle comment, easy way to get some steps! 22k during the weekends is damn good. I'm the opposite, around 16k-20k during the week and around 10-14k on the weekend as I tend to relax a little more. Unless I'm out golfing at which it goes way up haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
I average about 7.5k steps on weekdays and 10k on the weekends (via apple watch). Reason why its lower on the weekday is because I work at an office desk; not really much movement. I used to kind of set goals for myself like 10k steps but already got so much to do so kind of stop caring.
I hear ya, my last job I was behind a desk all the time. To get my steps up I'd usually take a 20min walk at lunch. Sitting behind the desk all day without getting out would drive me a little nuts. Hence the new job where I get a little bit of both, desk most of the time but then I can get out and walk the floor whenever need be!
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep3387.50

      11-08-2019, 06:15 AM   #7
Rmtt
Major
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
1604
Rep
1,396
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Lol regarding the motorcycle comment, easy way to get some steps! 22k during the weekends is damn good. I'm the opposite, around 16k-20k during the week and around 10-14k on the weekend as I tend to relax a little more. Unless I'm out golfing at which it goes way up haha.



I hear ya, my last job I was behind a desk all the time. To get my steps up I'd usually take a 20min walk at lunch. Sitting behind the desk all day without getting out would drive me a little nuts. Hence the new job where I get a little bit of both, desk most of the time but then I can get out and walk the floor whenever need be!

This is me right here as well.....although I don't keep track of my steps. But I can't sit still most of the time anyway!

Props to you guys doing all that mileage!
__________________
2011 128i: M-Sport Suspension, 3:73 Rear Diff, 3SI Intake, AA Headers, MILVS, MagnaFlow Catback, AFE Scoops, Turner Silicone Hose, Charcoal Delete, StageFP Tune, APEX ARC8 Wheels.

2008 Z51 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI - 461whp / 467wtq
Appreciate 1
JP10345.00

      11-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #8
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
8931
Rep
21,972
Posts

 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

I stand l day at work and walk short distance repetitively but unsure on count. I'd rather be able to sit down knees bug me, and feet and so on
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #9
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
7905
Rep
7,437
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

I was running a 1903 update on a bunch of computers this morning. I was over 5K before anyone else even arrived this morning.
Appreciate 1
JP10345.00

      11-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #10
JP10
Lieutenant
JP10's Avatar
345
Rep
446
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I was running a 1903 update on a bunch of computers this morning. I was over 5K before anyone else even arrived this morning.
I'm usually at 6k before I get to work at 6:30am (from the gym). Sitting at 15k right now (1:55pm), I'll usually hit my step goal prior to getting home from work haha. With that said my daily steps drop dramatically when I get home.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #11
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
7905
Rep
7,437
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
I'm usually at 6k before I get to work at 6:30am (from the gym). Sitting at 15k right now (1:55pm), I'll usually hit my step goal prior to getting home from work haha. With that said my daily steps drop dramatically when I get home.
I work out almost exclusively after dinner. Unlike SOME people on here who get up at 2:30 and aren't even norm.. errr, tired, since I get to work around 6, I ain't getting up any earlier to go to the gym. Mine opens at 5 anyways, so not enough time to do much and still get to work.

I can be in bed and nearly asleep within 45 minutes of returning from a workout.
Appreciate 2
JP10345.00
Rmtt1603.50

      11-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #12
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
2790
Rep
6,668
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I drag myself out of bed at 7. I am not a morning person. Last night I went to bed at 11, but I'm usually up until 11:30 or later on weeknights and midnight or later on weekends. If I go to bed at 10 or so, I can get 8 hours sleep and get up at 6, but it's still like trying to wake up from a coma. If I could sleep until I naturally wake up, it would be around 8AM every morning. I wish I could be more of a morning person so I could get a ride in before breakfast and work, especially in the summer when it's way cooler in the early morning.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:56 PM   #13
JP10
Lieutenant
JP10's Avatar
345
Rep
446
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I drag myself out of bed at 7. I am not a morning person. Last night I went to bed at 11, but I'm usually up until 11:30 or later on weeknights and midnight or later on weekends. If I go to bed at 10 or so, I can get 8 hours sleep and get up at 6, but it's still like trying to wake up from a coma. If I could sleep until I naturally wake up, it would be around 8AM every morning. I wish I could be more of a morning person so I could get a ride in before breakfast and work, especially in the summer when it's way cooler in the early morning.
Haha I hear ya. I force myself up at 4:30, definitely not rolling out of bed because I feel well rested. As long as I get 6-7hrs I can manage my day. If there were more hours in the day I'd go after work, but right now I work until 4:30-5 so hitting the gym afterwards wouldn't get me home until 7-7:30 which doesn't fly well with me. I'd much rather go in the morning and be home by 4:30-5 and enjoy the rest of my evening with the lady and dogs!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST