New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Classic BMW (Pre-2005 Models)

12-28-2023, 04:32 PM   #507
M-technik-3
Major
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
@ 19:00 how much lead on that wheel???
None, wheel weights are no longer made of lead for environmental reasons.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 05:44 PM   #508
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E91 330d

Touché
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 02:49 PM   #509
Sreten
Rep

Drives: E92 M3, E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by S85 builder View Post
]
Becareful with simply doing something that Sreten did on his YT channel. It's fine to like the guy, but he's does a lot of dirty hacks and frequently doesn't use the correct tools, despite having the means to buy the tool. Having just watched more if his videos, there are actually several things that I notices that are big NO NOs, but he does it anyway probably because he doesn't know any better.

oh boy, here are just a few from recent few I watched: He drives the main seals with a hammer, there is no way to keep it square like that, that is why they make a specific tool for that. I think he only has 1 or two of the actual service tools, all his hand tools are free from Hazet anyways. Same thing for the front seal but that was an ok improvise.

He has the engine completely torn down, but doesn't measure the mains and rod journals. Doesn't check for taper, flatness, and concentricity. No measurement of thrust clearance, no weighing and balancing. Didn't even pressurized the oil system before start up to get oil to the upper part of the engine. He didn't show the head rebuild up. I'm not surprised about that since there's quite a bit of intricate work and getting the keepers seated correctly isn't easy. He may have had someone else do that. There's a TON of measurement work that needs to be done there. Double sealing the orings with his paste causes issues when you have to replace those orings again.

I'm not here to bag on the guy or anyone, but your top engine builders would actually do things differently. I scratch my head since he spent more time and effort to layout all the parts for a nice picture than spending time to do the real work and measure, measure, measure. He talks about how he loves all this tedious work, but the tedious work in precision engine building is the measurement and making sure things are in tolerance. It's more than just plastigage. The fact that S65s have such a critical issue with main bearings, I REALLY can't understand not manually measuring the main bearing clearances and concentricity then fitting the bearings appropriately. He just reused a different crank, so it's not like this crank was polished and prepped by a machine shop. The assembly work is the easy part, most of the instructions are in the BMW TIS manual. That doesn't mean his engine won't run, but a proper rebuild from would involve ALOT more.

I didn't watch his whole Alpina rebuilt and how that first one failed, but I'm not surprised either. I realize he's probably doing this to get maximum YouTube views and engagement, but reading the comments is pretty sad since like 99.9% of the comments are people expressing amazement. Just weird. Like I can't fine one critical comment, which is almost impossible. Any one of Steve Papadakis' videos (renouned top race engine builder) has critique and comments.

I'm also aware that dealerships who do engine component work will do very little measurement also, I know that the book rate doesn't pay for precision measurement stuff, and that would be one of the reasons, some of the measurement specs and procedures aren't in TIS. Heck, BMW doesn't recommend or allow for decking the head or block, I understand why, but I found it a real PITA that they won't even give many of the common specs that you'd in service manuals for GM or Ford engines by way of example.
Thanks for the feedback! I didn't want to spam the other thread which is where you wrote this stuff, but if I may add a couple of things.

I've installed a ton of front & rear main seals with such method and similar. I've never had one leak after. I actually use a caliper and measure the depth all around to make sure it's evenly tapped in.
I'm sure you, like most of us, used this method at some point as well when in need.

Is it better and more precise with a proper tool? Absolutely, but those tools are everything but affordable and specific to one engine, and since I'm not an active shop, it'd probably be a one-time use which makes it not worth it. However, I do buy such tools when they are not grossly overpriced and I know I'll use them, like the rear main seal tool for the M54.

Regarding the measurements, you have to remember that I took apart a good working engine that didn't need to be rebuilt in the first place. I didn't mix the crank or the bedplate or the block. I didn't reuse a different crank like you said.
I did make all the necessary measurements to make sure it was good to be put back together.

I measured the crankshaft, all perfect and within spec. I purposely didn't want to have it polished as it was in perfect condition and I don't trust machine shops which, given my track record with them, you can probably understand.

For the mains, I ordered one upper and lower new G bearing (stamped on the block and the crank) from the dealer and measured and compared with King Race main bearings, and they were within tolerance. King Race bearings come in one size, so this plus plastigauge is more than sufficient to know you are safe to use them.
If I were mixing and matching a different crank/bedplate/block, then for sure, proper measurements with tools are highly recommendable, but this wasn't my case.

With the rod bearings and BE bearings, there's really no point in doing anything if the rod journals measure within given spec which they did.

I measured the block myself and so did the machine shop after honing.

Weigh and balance for what reason? I reused all good parts from the same engine that was assembled by the factory. The only new component was the Mahle MS pistons which I did weigh, and they are the same weight or within 1 gram compared to the stock pistons. Nothing to be unbalanced.

How did I not pressurize the oil system? I cranked the engine without fuel or ignition for a lot longer than what I showed on the video, to the point that the battery actually got weak.

The cylinder heads were overhauled by a machine shop that I trust and specializes in this area. Besides a standard head overhaul, they ported the exhaust side and done a multi angle valve job. It's not something I can do myself. I asked if they could record the process, but given how busy they are, they couldn't and it was too far to drive there myself and film.
I later installed Schrick titanium retainers, springs and keepers. It's actually pretty easy and I've done it many times. This makes you sound like you've never done it yourself if you think that's difficult.

Double sealing the O-rings — it's not a paste. Reinzoplast is a permanently liquid sealing compound, high viscosity, for highly stressed sealing joints. Operating temp ranging from -50°C to 250°C.
It cannot cause any problems if you later need to replace the O-rings again, you simply wipe it off. It's not like standard RTV where excess silicone can end up in your oil pickup.
On Alpina, I had a brand-new oil cooler, brand-new O-rings and the connection would leak despite replacing it twice, all correctly installed without damaging the O-rings. I then used a bit of Reinzoplast and it sealed immediately.
Look it up, it is a wonderful invention and something you'll want to have in your tool chest. In my opinion, it's a brilliant idea to use it on the weak points of the ultimate oil leaking machine. We all know, despite everything being brand new, it doesn't take long for them to develop an oil leak.

I also see you are banging around about torque plate not being used when honing the block. Okay, it is a topic where opinions will be divided, but you must know that it's not necessary to use one on a street engine. H2Motors has honed hundreds of these blocks without using one and they all run without any issues. The honing guy drives his engine on the Nürburgring regularly.

You also said how H2Motors is assembling the engine properly, unlike me, which makes me question your experience and knowledge among other things you are writing, but whatever. If you actually saw their S65 assembly video, like you claim, you'd see that they do it differently and don't always follow TIS in order to save time. By your standards this should be heavily wrong as many steps are skipped, and yet you said you'd let them assemble your engine?! In reality, it's not wrong, it just a different approach where their engine builder manages to save time and still build it successfully.

If we are being realistic, you are just purposely nitpicking and there are no big NO NOs here.
By no means am I saying I'm flawless. I'm self-taught and have no professional training or experience.
I've done everything I could within my means and knowledge to build a good engine that will last. I don't cut corners and I always try to do everything as correctly as I can.

You say this wasn't a proper or correct engine rebuild. Fine, your opinion and I wholeheartedly disagree. There are far worse engine rebuilds done by professional shops, where everything is torqued with an impact and nothing is measured.

Since you didn't see the Alpina series, that was my first engine rebuild, and unlike most of us here, I've done that with the whole world watching. In short, the machine shop that sleeved the block got the wrong piston-to-wall clearance. Alpina pistons are forged alloy which expand more than standard BMW pistons. Having not known better back then, I trusted that the machine shop knew what they were doing and assembled it like that, only to watch it die after 100 km as the rear pistons #4 & #8 expanded and naturally destroyed the cylinders.

That was my first biggest learning experience that cost me dearly as I lost all that money and time putting that engine together. The machine shop never reimbursed me for the damages.
But, from mistakes we learn and I acquired invaluable knowledge from that, and the 2nd engine that I built for that car was successful, without involving machine shops. That's the experience I'll never forget and one I promised myself never to let happen again.

No, I don't do this to maximize YT views and engagement, and you shouldn't just assume something like that after briefly watching a couple of videos. I started off from literally nothing, I didn't know how to change the oil when I bought my first car. When I moved to Germany, I worked with cheap tools that were in the plastic box in the back of my M5. I worked in parking lots, driveways and even got poisoning after changing the front struts on my M5 in an underground parking lot while having "friendly" neighbors nagging all the time.
I hold a college degree in computer science and after YT thing took off out of nowhere, I managed to quit my day job and get to where I am today. I wake up smiling and make a living by doing something that I Iove. That's something we all strive for.

You see 99% positive comments because 99% of them are genuinely positive from the people who follow the channel. I don't understand how something like that can make you sad. That's a bit weird and concerning.
There's a small number of offensive and hateful comments too that only I get to see cause YT algorithm blocks them. Stuff where people swear and threaten me for no apparent reason, stuff that no one wants to see, but such is the world we live in.

I assume that people enjoy watching cause I fix things the right way (as much as I can), and restore cars back to their original condition while having fun and goofing around. They learn something and I don't try to bullshit them or sell them VPNs, hair products and other stuff that most channels have to do in order to survive.
I strictly work only with companies that relate to what I do, that help me restore cars and have products I can stand behind. With YT revenue, Patreon and selling some of the cars in the end, I'm fortunate to be able to stay true to what I believe. I can't imagine bringing myself to filming an ad spot for say a ball shaving product. But again, not everyone is able to do that.

I learned a long time ago it's impossible to please everyone, YT is simply too big and it's easy for people to hide behind the keyboard, get angry and carried away over nothing.
I hope I added some clarity for you since you made some ill assumptions.
Thanks for watching the video. Cheers!

Last edited by Sreten; 12-30-2023 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 14
B58 parts478.50
Almuliman483.50
Mani5913493.00
celsdogg324.50
CSBM52722.50
DubaiRich123.00
KevinC3100.50
Bruuuce341.50
      12-29-2023, 02:57 PM   #510
PixelVogue
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMW

@Sreten you will get the haters and the so called mechanics everywhere who you everything and do nothing!

If I see Carvertical on your channel...keyboard warrior mode ON

Thanks for the vids, keep up the good work!
Appreciate 1
Mani5913493.00
      12-29-2023, 03:59 PM   #511
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Sreten great detailed response! 99.99% of us admire your work and your entertaining videos! Keep up the great work (and more V10 sounds like in your last video!
Appreciate 2
Mani5913493.00
Bruuuce341.50
      12-29-2023, 04:16 PM   #512
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
@ 19:00 how much lead on that wheel???
It's Zn or Fe and 5g per piece so not that much on older alloy wheel and a heavy tyre...
      12-29-2023, 05:14 PM   #513
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

@S85 builder

Why don't you share some of your work as S85 builder?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 11:27 AM   #514
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Sreten, keep doing you, alot of people enjoy what you do and bring to the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreten View Post
If we are being realistic, you are just purposely nitpicking and there are no big NO NOs here.
By no means am I saying I'm flawless. I'm self-taught and have no professional training or experience.
Ignore him, if he is who I think he is, he is hiding behind another user name, not a very good business person, he's had his issues in the past and more than a few unhappy customers if you search his real name. He has some followers hanging off his you know what also, they dont know better but they sip his coolaid.

Lets see him create a video of his claimed S85s builds from end to end so we can pick apart also, I doubt he ever will.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      12-31-2023, 02:43 PM   #515
NikMN
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: BMW F10 n63tu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
@S85 builder

Why don't you share some of your work as S85 builder?
He won't. Sreten cheers and happy new year
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 03:56 PM   #516
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by S85 Builder
I'm not here to bag on the guy or anyone
You most certainly are.
Appreciate 1
Jbrown74032643.50
      12-31-2023, 04:28 PM   #517
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
You most certainly are.

"I'm not here to bag on anyone..."
[Proceeds to bag on at least one person]
Appreciate 1
Chihuahua4076.00
      01-02-2024, 02:57 PM   #518
celsdogg
E4 Mafia
Rep

Drives: E30, E36/5, E46, F22, F30

Garage List
1990 BMW 325i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 318ti  [0.00]
2003 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreten View Post
the ultimate oil leaking machine
I can hear the inflection in your voice as I read this, haha

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 03:13 PM   #519
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F80 6MT

As I was perusing ISTA to find repair manuals for my car, I thought that it's wild how much free (but illegal) information there is for us enthusiasts from BMW AG. Sure, one can pay a lot of money to access official ETK and TIS, but my and everyone else's software is really just pirated from somewhere in Russia... as are realOEM and all the other online versions of BMW ETK which was unfortunately pulled from BMW.de in 2020.

There's not a lot of brands around with this much free knowledge. Where else would Sreten and us here find torque sequences for the valve covers?

One of the reasons BMW is an enthusiast brand. Let's hope it stays that way.
      01-07-2024, 06:46 PM   #520
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

Does anyone know what that light blue brake paste is? I have not been able to find that.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 06:52 PM   #521
PixelVogue
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 parts View Post
Does anyone know what that light blue brake paste is? I have not been able to find that.
https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/gb/bra...0411.html#3078
Appreciate 1
B58 parts478.50
      01-08-2024, 06:51 AM   #522
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

I keep seeing the B7 in videos, I thought the B7 was sold. Wondering if he decided to keep it after all.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 02:23 PM   #523
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
I keep seeing the B7 in videos, I thought the B7 was sold. Wondering if he decided to keep it after all.
I think he mentioned in one of the videos that there was a delay in the delivery of it to the new owner (customs / export paperwork delay I think).

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 04:39 PM   #524
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
I think he mentioned in one of the videos that there was a delay in the delivery of it to the new owner (customs / export paperwork delay I think).
Ah OK, makes sense then. Whoever gets that car basically has a new E65 B7, new supercharger and all ($13K new from BMW). Loved that series, I go back from time to time and watch old episodes.
Appreciate 1
Mani5913493.00
      01-08-2024, 05:42 PM   #525
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 parts View Post
Do you mean the hub paste?

https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/gb/whe...0408.html#4058
Appreciate 1
Almuliman483.50
      01-19-2024, 09:57 AM   #526
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Part 8 of Project Frankfurt (E92 M3) is now up and sounds absolutely glorious!

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 3
toxik2454.50
Jbrown74032643.50
M3_Legend352.00
      01-19-2024, 01:38 PM   #527
M-technik-3
Major
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
I enjoyed that episode, so glad the engine is at the moment seems trouble free.

Now the VIXEN unit I'd love one till I goggled the price at 20K to 30K is crazy.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 02:52 PM   #528
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Very good episode! That aqua blasting tool is damn cool!

E92 has such a great sound!

Last edited by Jbrown7403; 01-19-2024 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0