New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #45
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Drives: car

The conclusion seems like a two year old did the study.

Why would you conclude that if you drive an expensive car you are probably a jerk, instead of concluding, if you are a jerk, you probably drive an expensive car?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:44 PM   #46
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
I hear you but around my neck of the woods the most successful people I see (I'm a contractor) majority drive simple vehicles, Honda CRV, Subaru Outbacks or basic accords $25k'ish rides, modern but definitely not premium

I'm talking multi millionaires, they are flooded in the Boston burbs and in the villages all over Eastern Mass, highly educated highly motivated successful people don't-always buy the best they can afford

Notes: my most recent customer drives a Volvo blankety blank he's worth 10 mill easy, looks like a normal dude, you would want to have a beer with him (down to earth) and yes some look and act like aliens, try having lunch with a successful rich eccentric it's just weird

Yes: I would like a glass of water no ice please and a hamburger with 1 tomato ONLY, cooked middle rare 😐 I did not know if he's serious or that's the way he orders? He's paying for a $100k project so guess what I ordered the exact same lol
This exactly where I live as well. If you drive through many of the super nice neighborhoods around here, you'll just see a ton of Subaru Outbacks and Prius'.

I do think its regional though, east coast has a lot of old money that doesn't want to be confused with new money (and their garish luxury cars.) While people in the northwest are hippied out and want to appear outdoorsy and environmentally friendly.

That said, there's also a ton of non-crazy rich, but rather just 'successful' tech people around here who drive BMWs, Audis and increasingly, Teslas.
Appreciate 1
NEfan5082658.50
      02-28-2020, 05:50 PM   #47
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2C

Ok, my not so scientific survey: no matter what neighborhood, no matter class of vehicle or time of day people just suck driving.

most do not want to share the road, I have a few full size trucks and cargo vans for work, if it wasn't for some fellow contractors nobody would let me merge in or back out of narrow north end streets.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 06:28 AM   #48
TomHudson
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
The conclusion seems like a two year old did the study.

Why would you conclude that if you drive an expensive car you are probably a jerk, instead of concluding, if you are a jerk, you probably drive an expensive car?
Because, if you’re a self proclaimed “scientist” you’re a jerk, because you’re jealous and envious of others in expensive cars....
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #49
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
OK, wait. Does this mean if I get an inexpensive car I will no longer be a jerk? I'm willing to make the sacrifice if that's how it works.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:54 AM   #50
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
What constitues expensive?
There are BMW, Mercedes and Audi that are in the $40k range that's the same as mid range Honda and Chevrolet. What if the person bought it used? What if it's a low mileage lease with inexpensive monthly payment?

I just think these kinds of "research" are foolhardy. You can manipulate the results to whatever sterotypes you want.

People who are jerks will act like a jerk in anything they drive.

A better research would be to study a mild manner person who switch to their alter ego aggressive jerk when they drive.
Appreciate 0