New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #23
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

Powerhouse Amuse, Top Secret, Blitz, and JIC those are just come of the few that are pretty going to break the black box.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #24
DCD
Private First Class
Rep

Drives:

The people bagging the GTR need to have a read of that thread.

- The guy did 20+ launches on a pretty new car.
- You have to sign a waiver saying if you do it you void your warranty when you buy it.
- There is no mention anywhere in the manual about how to do the launch control.

4WD cars aren't anything like RWD's. All that torque has to go somewhere when the wheels won't spin up, and guess what? It's the gearbox/clutch that takes the brunt of the force.

Someone go buy a brand new Evo X and do 20+ 4 wheel burnout launches before it's broken in and see how long it lasts.
My last 2 cars were an Evo 8 and a Sti V10. In my opinion those kinds of cars are all about handling and getting the power down coming out of a corner, not straight line speed. I never did a hard launch in those cars because thats not what they were made for and I didn't want to break something.

Just because the car has the capability doesn't mean that you should/have to use it. In any manual 4WD car you can rev it to 7000rpm and side step the clutch (which is basically what this guy is doing), but if someone was complaining that he did that 20 times and his gearbox blew, you can bet that thread would be full of people telling him hes a jackass.

My old lady had a E46 M3 with SMG and she was told that if she used the launch procedure in that over a certain amount of times they wouldn't cover any warrenty claims to do with gearboxes.

The price they are trying to charge him for the replacement sounds ridiculous but I don't really have any pity for him for blowing it up in the first place.

If people were just driving them hard on mountain roads and they were blowing up then sure get fired up but it seems pretty cut and dried this guy abused his car. Give it 6 months/a year and see how the gearboxes are holding up in general before you jump on the hate bandwagon (but then again this is the internet :P)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #25
stampchez
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2013 135is

lol
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #26
jayce
Private
Rep

Drives:

what's up with this witch hunt on GTR?

guys, GTR is already proved to be a great car by numerous reviewers.

speaking of the thread, obviously this guy had it coming.

and last of all, I have no clue why this stampchez is so against Nissan and their GTR.

We have a rule saying no haters thread. think twice before you act.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 03:01 AM   #27
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampchez View Post

That's painful to look at.
Like my old man used too say......"Just rub some dirt on it and get back out there" :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 03:36 AM   #28
QJS
St8rin' Thru My Rear View
Rep

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
That's unlikely. Even if they do, it'll guarantee that you'll never get warranty coverage.

They will crack it. Just wait. And it wont void anything unless the owner is stupid and forgets to re-stock it using a device or something like Accessport from Cobb Tuning.
      10-10-2008, 07:56 AM   #29
QJS
Rep

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
Doesn't really matter, though. If you come in with your tranny looking like that, they know what it's from. They don't need your blackbox info to void your warranty. All they have to do is determine that the damage done to your vehicle was the result of neglect.
Of course if i show up with something like that it will automatically void the warranty.

But what i meant was, is when someone cracks the codes of the Black Box it will give us a feature of deleting all LC use/info which will help us owners to use LC more often atleast on the track.
      10-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #30
stampchez
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayce View Post
what's up with this witch hunt on GTR?

guys, GTR is already proved to be a great car by numerous reviewers.

speaking of the thread, obviously this guy had it coming.

and last of all, I have no clue why this stampchez is so against Nissan and their GTR.

We have a rule saying no haters thread. think twice before you act.
How am I hating?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #31
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drives: various bmw's

waivers that you'll void warranty wont hold up in the US if there really was such a thing

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but reading the black box without informing the owner is against the law in the US, privacy rights groups won one for us

I've been inside a few failed transmissions, but it was always the little gear that went, not the big gear like these, kinda strange
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #32
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
waivers that you'll void warranty wont hold up in the US if there really was such a thing
Your right on the waiver, Tort laws state that it must fit for the use intended, and this car is intended to race as shown by advertisements.

This car is really turning out to be a POS. First the tuned press cars, then the false Nuremberg track times, and that crap they call a transmission. It's no wonder why the transmission failed, The press car's transmission overheated several times on them.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 05:17 AM   #33
QJS
Rep

Drives:

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....0&#entry362727
      10-12-2008, 03:40 AM   #34
Robert
Major General
Rep

Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I wanted one of these devils but now I am not sure, presumption that I have the means for one. I don't understand why nissan would place a "void warranty" button on the steering wheel. Similar to drawing a line of coke for a drug addict and then hide the warning in a book that he would die if used. What drug addict read a book. Why allow a user to turn off vdc when it voids warranty. How do you define the misuse of vdc? ( At this point, I am not even addressing LC which is not documented and the warranty is voided because LC turned off VDC and constitutes as misuse of VDC.)

kind of a wishy washy way of adding features to the car. We added this fantastic feature on the car but btw if you use it the car is most likely to break.

Quote:
My point is that Nissan puts the LC disclaimer in their warranty to protect against people beating the hell out of their cars. If this guy had a REASONABLE number of LC launches on his blackbox I guarantee Nissan wouldn't have voided his warranty, even though they're legally entitled to by their disclaimer. The reason they did void his warranty is because he went way too far with it (20+ LC launches for a car with his mileage is completely unreasonable).
Some guy on the gtr forum owns a f430 scud and apparently he launches it all day :-P
      10-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #35
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drives: various bmw's

when I first saw that pdf with 7 blocks for different transmission serial numbers, I thought wow that's a really funny photoshop

then I looked at the address of the url, and went up and saw it's the REAL nissan website

now I'm saying WHAT THE F*CK IS NISSAN THINKING?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #36
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Wow all I can say is 20k can buy you another car.. feel for that guy..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #37
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
If you read through a lot of the recent blogs and web sites, it seems that the Nissan is starting to wear thin pretty fast. Let it be said that many of the real supercar makers have similar black box systems in their cars, but they are much more discrete about handling warranty claims that may have involved "hard use". They expect that the owners will occasionally do launches or similar maneuvers so someone really has to be extreme to void a warranty. The basic difference is the real supercars companies are trying to work with an exclusive clientelle and maintain long term relationships and reputations. Nissan is handling this the way they would a Sentra recall. So for all the engineering they managed to stuff into a GTR, they never realized that they had entered a different type of market. I wonder if they'll put up th money and try and do better or drop the car (in the US) after being hit with a pile of bad press and lawsuits.