New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #23
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
What exactly is "dumb american" about buying a four passenger car that gets 45MPG day in and day out? The mindless hate for the Prius from some people is absurd.

I would say it is in general the kind of people that would even consider driving one of those Ugly pieces of shit. Yes I am profiling a group of people based on buying habits; All sales divisions of companies do it because it finds the customer base. When is the last time you saw a Prius ad targeting sports car drivers? They market the car to the Greenfreak D-bags that are on the noble quest to save planet earth from a process that's been happening naturally since the ice age.

Quote:
I don't understand why it would piss you off. A Prius doing 90MPH is still getting better mileage than a 135i at any speed. :iono:
Thats an incredibly hebetudinous thing to say. A Prius maxes out at 101mph full throttle. I get 25-30 mpg at a hundred miles an hour in my 135; your saying at full throttle a Prius still gets 35 MPG? That is incredibly naive on your part to say.what about a 150mph? I guess the Prius would get better gas mileage because the only way to get that piece of shit to do that kind of speed is to throw it off a cliff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1er junkie View Post
NOT true. Unfortunately. DIDNT YOU SEE THE YOUTUBE VIDEO OF THE M3 GETTING BETTER MPG than a prius? lol.
It was a top gear episode where the Prius had to go as fast as it could while the m3 had to go just as fast as the Prius could go around the track. Just proves you have to drive like a D-bag in order to get good gas mileage in the ugly piece of shit.

If Toyota wanted to help america, they would shoot everybody that went to the dealership wanting to buy a Prius. Maybe a little bit extreme but there would be less people that get offended by everything turning the country into a pansy fest where everybody has their feelings hurt over nothing.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #24
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives:

Well, I wasnt being that harsh lol. Just trying to stir up some controversy
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #25
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1er junkie View Post
Both are ridiculous. Get the 120d. lol. Give me the damn diesel you bastards!
I'm all for the BMW diesel as well. I just wish they would bring a relatively affordable one. I would buy a MINI diesel in a heartbeat.

My only gripe is the diesel burning car will still cost a lot more to fill than the hybrid making the same mpg's on plain ol regular fuel. The diesel bmw/mini would suure be a hoot to drive though. :biggrin:
      08-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #26
aarong_m3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2006 BMW M5 / 1974 BMW 2002

Sorry to jump in this conversation.

I have a 2008 Civic Hybrid(traded the 2002 BMW 325i) and i got it for commuting to work(100 miles day) and for our 4 mo old son. I also get between 42-43.7mpg. I try to keep my heavy foot off the gas on this car. But sometimes i do try to speed in it. The fastest i have gone in it @ 110mph...took forever.

Then we also got the 135i for our Friday-Sunday car. And that we get 20-22mpg. Both my wife and i love speed and i also miss my 2002 BMW M3 too.

I got both of best worlds. A Green car for practical use and a 135i for pleasure use.

2006 BMW M5 7spd SMG/SIlverstone : 2008 BMW 135i SGM/JB2/BMS(SOLD 1/2010) : 1974 BMW 2oo2(5spd w/ 3.91LSD) : 2002 BMW M3(AW/6spd) Sold 8/07 : 2002 BMW 325i(SGM) Sold 12/07 : 1993 BMW 325i Sold 8/04
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #27
jrc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives:

Wasn't aware there was so much hatred for the Prius in Texas and California. Haven't noticed any here in Florida. Seems to be a fine little car to me -- does what it was designed to do quite well--i.e. carry up to 4 adults fairly comfortably fairly economically.

To each his own -- just sayin.
      08-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #28
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post

I would say it is in general the kind of people that would even consider driving one of those Ugly pieces of shit. Yes I am profiling a group of people based on buying habits; All sales divisions of companies do it because it finds the customer base. When is the last time you saw a Prius ad targeting sports car drivers? They market the car to the Greenfreak D-bags that are on the noble quest to save planet earth from a process that's been happening naturally since the ice age.
You have pretty much proven you're not worth even responding to with that statement, but I will anyway. I've got a Prius and a 135i in my household. I guess you just don't grasp the concept of different cars being designed for different purposes.

Quote:
Thats an incredibly hebetudinous thing to say. A Prius maxes out at 101mph full throttle. I get 25-30 mpg at a hundred miles an hour in my 135; your saying at full throttle a Prius still gets 35 MPG? That is incredibly naive on your part to say.what about a 150mph? I guess the Prius would get better gas mileage because the only way to get that piece of shit to do that kind of speed is to throw it off a cliff.

I guess you can't read either. I said at 90MPH, not at WOT, and you're full of shit if you think you're getting anywhere CLOSE to 30MPG at 100MPH. It's more like 18MPG. Just FYI, a Prius running at a constant 90MPH on flat ground with the A/C on gets over 36MPG.

Quote:
It was a top gear episode where the Prius had to go as fast as it could while the m3 had to go just as fast as the Prius could go around the track. Just proves you have to drive like a D-bag in order to get good gas mileage in the ugly piece of shit.

If Toyota wanted to help america, they would shoot everybody that went to the dealership wanting to buy a Prius. Maybe a little bit extreme but there would be less people that get offended by everything turning the country into a pansy fest where everybody has their feelings hurt over nothing.
Further proof that you're not even smart enough to talk to.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #29
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Wasn't aware there was so much hatred for the Prius in Texas and California. .

There's really not. We just have a member who is trying very hard to perpetuate the BMW stereotype we all hear about. :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #30
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarong_m3 View Post
Sorry to jump in this conversation.

I have a 2008 Civic Hybrid(traded the 2002 BMW 325i) and i got it for commuting to work(100 miles day) and for our 4 mo old son. I also get between 42-43.7mpg. I try to keep my heavy foot off the gas on this car. But sometimes i do try to speed in it. The fastest i have gone in it @ 110mph...took forever.

Then we also got the 135i for our Friday-Sunday car. And that we get 20-22mpg. Both my wife and i love speed and i also miss my 2002 BMW M3 too.

I got both of best worlds. A Green car for practical use and a 135i for pleasure use.
Thats awesome man. I'm going the same route. I didnt purchase the 135i right away and decided to invest the cash into a small business. I'm surprisingly seeing some crazy returns. I will be in a great situation to buy an M3 if I wanted within a few months. I just feel like its overkill at this point. I'm 23 and I'd rather move up the ranks slowly. I would rather have an 18k 60mpg car and a 50k toy than just dropping 70k on one car.
      08-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #31
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 135icp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
Are you kidding me? Honda Insight anyone?? That by far is the mileage king. If I ever needed to chose between a prius or an insight it would be insight for sure. Screw the prius, I hate Toyota's our shit don't stink and were the best bullshit they feed to dumb americans.

Easy on your words son. It will not get you anywhere.
      08-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #32
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There's really not. We just have a member who is trying very hard to perpetuate the BMW stereotype we all hear about. :roundel:
Jeremy too bad I skipped the first 2 rounds. I have a toyota too. A slightly modded SE. Dont worry so much, give it time the kids will learn it the hard way.
]
Now show yourselves young punks and lets have a debate.
      08-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #33
jrc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives:

Oh good. Are we going to resurrect the oldies v. younguns slagfest again? Or is this just about calling out douchebaggery in general?
      08-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #34
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Haha...let the GAMES BEGIN!
      08-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #35
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have pretty much proven you're not worth even responding to with that statement, but I will anyway. I've got a Prius and a 135i in my household. I guess you just don't grasp the concept of different cars being designed for different purposes.
I do understand the concept of different cars for different purposes. What I don't understand is the mentality that most Prius driver have of " I'm better than everyone else because I'm driving a hybrid like Al Gore says we need to to save the world". You can have a fuel efficient car like the mini cooper, and have something that actually performs well and looks good too. It also doesn't have the image of a Prius driver. Oh, what can you do in a Prius that you can't do in a 135i? I don't think you can tow much with either or put more in a prius or do about anything in prius you couldn't do in a 135i except go to tree hugger convention.

Quote:
I guess you can't read either. I said at 90MPH, not at WOT, and you're full of shit if you think you're getting anywhere CLOSE to 30MPG at 100MPH. It's more like 18MPG. Just FYI, a Prius running at a constant 90MPH on flat ground with the A/C on gets over 36MPG.
The On board computer (which i am well aware that it is not that accurate) fluctuates between 25.7mpg and 27.x at 100mph in sixth gear with the cruise control set on my car. The Prius took around 43 seconds to max out at 101 mph so going 90+ mph in a prius would require allot of near wot.

Quote:
Further proof that you're not even smart enough to talk to.
You should watch that BBC episode, They have some very interesting info on the Prius and their drivers. Maybe you didn't catch the sarcasm in the last paragraph; Prius drivers wouldn't find it funny anyways. The episode proves that if you try to drive fast in a prius you will get horrible mpg, even worse than the V8 M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #36
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4One View Post
Jeremy too bad I skipped the first 2 rounds. I have a toyota too. A slightly modded SE. Dont worry so much, give it time the kids will learn it the hard way.
]
Now show yourselves young punks and lets have a debate.
I have no problems with camry's, corrollas, ect. In fact I've had a lexus. One of the most reliable cars I've ever seen. Normal Toyota drivers usually drive much better than prius drivers.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #37
jrc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives:

You're entitled to not like Prius's rcracer. It's the generalities such as your judgment of the "mentality of most" Prius owners and how they drive, or your subjective opinion as to the "image" of Prius owners (sorry, "Greenfreak d-bags"), that's just a wee bit off-putting. FWIW exactly none of the Prius owners I know fits your descriptions--and they all have an excellent sense of humour.

And what does a Prius do that a 135 can't do? Quite a lot actually. It has 4 doors and a hatch which makes it infinitely more practical. And in many places it's allowed to drive in the HOV lane and park in preferred parking -- so it could be argued that it has a shorter commute time than a 135 too. Did I mention that it uses a lot less gas too (inane 100mph comparisons notwithstanding).

None of this changes the fact that I'd take a 135 over a Prius anyday (and have done). In fact I wouldn't even consider a Prius. But denigrating all Prius owners or claiming that the car itself is an ugly piece of shit for political (yes, it comes through loud and clear) or other reasons, puts you in exactly the same category as the morons who revile all BMW owners and think that their opinion that the 1er is the ugliest car on the road actually matters.

Oh yea, and as much as I like TopGear, it is scripted entertainment pure and simple and has virtually nothing to do with the real world or car ownership.
      08-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #38
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do understand the concept of different cars for different purposes. What I don't understand is the mentality that most Prius driver have of " I'm better than everyone else because I'm driving a hybrid like Al Gore says we need to to save the world". You can have a fuel efficient car like the mini cooper, and have something that actually performs well and looks good too. It also doesn't have the image of a Prius driver. Oh, what can you do in a Prius that you can't do in a 135i? I don't think you can tow much with either or put more in a prius or do about anything in prius you couldn't do in a 135i except go to tree hugger convention..
BMW drivers have one of the worst stereotypes on the planet. Doesn't that make them bad cars? Hardly.

As for what you can do in a Prius that you can't do in a 135i? How about:
-Haul four full grown men comfortably on a trip
-Haul a dinning room table and two chairs
-Drive off the lot for under $23k well equipped
-Go 470 miles on 10 gallons of regular fuel

Just to name a few. Do you think my GF or mother cares if the car can't do 0-60 in seven seconds? Hell no they don't. A Mini gets a little over HALF the city mileage of a Prius, and has about half the interior space. What an idiotic comment that was.

Quote:
The On board computer (which i am well aware that it is not that accurate) fluctuates between 25.7mpg and 27.x at 100mph in sixth gear with the cruise control set on my car. The Prius took around 43 seconds to max out at 101 mph so going 90+ mph in a prius would require allot of near wot.
In case you haven 't noticed, I too own a 135i. It doesn't get anywhere close to 27mpg at 100MPH. It doesn't even get 27MPG at 80MPH. I've got a whole pile of recipts from about 8000 miles of road trips in the last 6 weeks that clearly prove it, with full GPS average speed documented on every one. Stop talking out of your ass, it makes you sound more foolish than you already do.

Quote:
You should watch that BBC episode, They have some very interesting info on the Prius and their drivers. Maybe you didn't catch the sarcasm in the last paragraph; Prius drivers wouldn't find it funny anyways. The episode proves that if you try to drive fast in a prius you will get horrible mpg, even worse than the V8 M3.

I've watched it, and in case you didn't realize...it was a joke. Of course a 400Hp coupe is going to get better mileage at part throttle than a Prius is going to get at WOT, but that's got ZERO bearing on the real world. Who the hell do you think takes a Prius to a track? Your argument is so lame it's mind boggling.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #39
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just went out on a meeting and came back finding out its been settled. Jeremy and JRC you really fit the one's described under your names!!! LOL. Senior Members!!! Ha h ha ha. Your ages show not like me. J/K.

maybe i will wait for the 8th round then.
      08-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #40
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 135i

Quote:
:bs:
Oh give it a fucking rest. That is possibly the most BS stereotype I've ever heard. One minute people are bitching about Prius drivers clogging the road trying to get good mileage, and next they're running over school kids.

Why not just admit that you have no good reason for disliking the car and leave it at that, because it's completely obvious.
its true in l.a. too though. they drive very quickly and aggressively in low speed sitations, like the 25 mile school zone or in traffic, but when its time to open her up, like when traffic loosens up or when you turn onto a faster street, they're still in front of you now blocking the road.

i saw one gunning through a canyon the other day (25mph limit). i was actually impressed though, especially on those skinny little tires.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #41
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 135i

Quote:

i work with a group of very smart very rich people who drive priuses. however, they bought them when the state was giving the carpool stickers, because that saves time, and their time is very valuable. they have multiple cars.

since the state's cutoff the carpool stickers though i don't think they're buying them anymore.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #42
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Your observations could be true, mistermojorozin, but somehow, we all have our own biases and judgement that could lead to a skewed memory. I do believe that some are also speedsters on their priuses and like anyone else, discounting what type of car they drive, the once you notice could also happen.

In connection to stereotyping who buys the prius, yes there is a group of people that could be identified but the remark of of our fellow member rcracer is fairly acceptable, it is how he delivers the message which is different. To some, it could be offensive. All the folks above are saying is that there are cars that were catered to a clique, and one of them is the prius. It could probably be true also with our 1. Now, i am not castigating anyone, let just strive to be reasonably civil with the language and if i may,(I could be guilty of stereotyping) I know that if you are young, you can be very passionate in expressing one's feelings and the foul language like "shit and stuff comes out. There was a time that I am like that during my younger years when I thought i was superman and can grab the world in my hands. Nothing serious, it will pass. They will come out alright.