New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #45
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Corvette Z06's are bought for one of 2 purposes. Tracking, or mid-life crisis. Yes the latter is a stereotype. And yes, its true.
Let's use the fanboy formula and spin it around a bit shall we?

BMWs are bought for one of 2 purposes. Trying to prove you've accomplished something in life by buying an over priced car, or desperately trying to get a woman because natural charm failed. Yes the latter is a stereotype. And yes, its true.

Point being, stereotypes are dumb.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #46
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
Let's use the fanboy formula and spin it around a bit shall we?

BMWs are bought for one of 2 purposes. Trying to prove you've accomplished something in life by buying an over priced car, or desperately trying to get a woman because natural charm failed. Yes the latter is a stereotype. And yes, its true.

Point being, stereotypes are dumb.
Can you think of any other reason to buy a Z06? Because I can think of many others for buying a BMW.

I'm glad to see that we are still talking about BMW as an entire brand vs. a single car. And how, in your minds, a Z06 whoops up on the BMW model-line's collective ass. The difference between a stereotype and a generalization is only what it is aimed at.
      11-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #47
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
If you could spell "chiropractor", we might take you seriously. Otherwise your post reeks of fanboy.

"We pay more $$$ for better service, and luxury."
First off, I am a fanboy. What tipped you off first? My forum name perhaps?

And your attempting to discredit my posts and my perspective in general because I typed a single wrong vowel? OH NOES! If this thread is to the point of nit-picking and grammar/spelling police. Then its time for it to die.

Yes, we do pay for service and luxury, thank you for reiterating my point.
Quote:
The point many of you seem to be missing in this whole BMW as a brand vs. Corvette arguement is that Corvettes are not luxurious. In a BMW you are paying for more than just the speed. You pay for the creature comforts, because they are daily driver cars. You pay for the brand, because BMW has great customer service and one of the best warranties anywhere. And yes, you also pay for the performance as well. Its the whole package. Drive it from work to the track and back.

Last edited by UltimateBMW; 11-11-2008 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #48
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
The point many of you seem to be missing in this whole BMW as a brand vs. Corvette arguement is that Corvettes are not luxurious. In a BMW you are paying for more than just the speed. You pay for the creature comforts, because they are daily driver cars.
What creature comforts does a $50k BMW (335i) offer that aren't available on a Corvette?

I really can't think of any. And if you complain about ride comfort, you've obviously never driven one.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #49
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
What creature comforts does a $50k BMW (335i) offer that aren't available on a Corvette?

I really can't think of any. And if you complain about ride comfort, you've obviously never driven one.
Truth. A C6 with 18's and good tires has a ride just about as tough as a Bimmer with 18's and RFT (in fact the Bimmer feels a LOT more rough over bumps than the Vette with RFT).

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #50
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Truth. A C6 with 18's and good tires has a ride just about as tough as a Bimmer with 18's and RFT (in fact the Bimmer feels a LOT more rough over bumps than the Vette with RFT).
Which BMW are we talking about? Not all BMWs are performance oriented and I doubt the above case holds true for say, a 7series.

But in the interest of fairness, assuming both cars had 18s and the same tires with the same wear on them. Which would you consider to have the better ride?
      11-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #51
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Smile

Quote:

But in the interest of fairness, assuming both cars
Which two cars?

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #52
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
First off, I am a fanboy. What tipped you off first? My forum name perhaps?

And your attempting to discredit my posts and my perspective in general because I typed a single wrong vowel? OH NOES! If this thread is to the point of nit-picking and grammar/spelling police. Then its time for it to die.

Yes, we do pay for service and luxury, thank you for reiterating my point.
Service? No. I had to call my CA multiple times to get info on ordering the car, when he said he would call me on any updates.

Another story. It took my dealer 2 months to get me a stupid little chrome trim piece that the seat belt guide sits on when extended. I asked them to mail it to me because my car was delivered without one (this shouldn't have even happened), and they agreed so - just give them the mileage of my car at the time.

Then for two months i keep asking and they keep telling me all this BS... like saying they couldn't ship it for insurance reasons; they thought it was a CHROME WHEEL for crying out loud; I didn't pay for it (although we agreed I shouldn't pay for it), among other sh*t. Finally, they said you need to come in to pick it up so that BMW can do a service write-up on it.

So after two months, I drive to the dealership (20 miles from work), I wait for an hour to finally speak to somebody holding hte part, and in the end it took me 2 seconds to pop it in. The kicked? They didn't have to write a service report at all. Talk about a waste of fucking time.

Luxuries? The leather in this car is horrible. It's a nicer car than my old Z in general but that's about it.

Finally, being a fanboy is just stupid. Luckily this forum caters to people like you. Not even the moderators or more knowledgeable members share that kind of "enthusiasm" you have.
      11-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #53
ruxp
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Corvette Z06's are bought for one of 2 purposes. Tracking, or mid-life crisis. Yes the latter is a stereotype. And yes, its true. A Z06 is horrible on the road. Anyone over the age of 30 would probably develope severe physical problems using a Z06 as a daily driver. If you bought one to track, kudos. You bought a great track car.
Would you say the same about a Ferrari, or a Porsche 911 GT3? What's the purpose of buying those cars?

Also, you apparently drive a 2001 330. What are you being a snob about?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #54
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Which two cars?
You tell me, since your the one that is saying they are comparable.
      11-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #55
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
Service? No. I had to call my CA multiple times to get info on ordering the car, when he said he would call me on any updates.

Another story. It took my dealer 2 months to get me a stupid little chrome trim piece that the seat belt guide sits on when extended. I asked them to mail it to me because my car was delivered without one (this shouldn't have even happened), and they agreed so - just give them the mileage of my car at the time.

Then for two months i keep asking and they keep telling me all this BS... like saying they couldn't ship it for insurance reasons; they thought it was a CHROME WHEEL for crying out loud; I didn't pay for it (although we agreed I shouldn't pay for it), among other sh*t. Finally, they said you need to come in to pick it up so that BMW can do a service write-up on it.

So after two months, I drive to the dealership (20 miles from work), I wait for an hour to finally speak to somebody holding hte part, and in the end it took me 2 seconds to pop it in. The kicked? They didn't have to write a service report at all. Talk about a waste of fucking time.

Luxuries? The leather in this car is horrible. It's a nicer car than my old Z in general but that's about it.

Finally, being a fanboy is just stupid. Luckily this forum caters to people like you. Not even the moderators or more knowledgeable members share that kind of "enthusiasm" you have.
And after all that, you still frequent the BMW forums and still own the car. So I guess we both just can't be helped.

I will say though that your experience with BMW service is the exception to the rule. My experience with their service has been great.
      11-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #56
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
You tell me, since your the one that is saying they are comparable.
Ah I see, you're just trolling. Carry on then.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #57
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxp View Post
Would you say the same about a Ferrari, or a Porsche 911 GT3? What's the purpose of buying those cars?

Also, you apparently drive a 2001 330. What are you being a snob about?
Both of the cars you have mentioned cost much more money than any car in the current discussion. As a function of the cost, the buyers may have priorities or preferences that lie outside the realm of reasonable. Or, another way to say it is that they have enough money to throw on a $300k supercar without a real need or reason. More just because they want it, but this could also be classified as mid-life crisis some (not all) of the time. (This statement is of course excluding the primary purpose of those cars, which is to be tracked. As outlined by the original posts that sparked the discussion.)

As for my 330ci, I like my car. It's been a fantastic car, and I've had no real issue with it at all (knocks on wood). I also don't consider myself to be a snob, in that I am providing reasoning to back up my position in this discussion. Snobbery would be saying this is how it is, simply because.

This is a discussion by the way. I say something, then you say something that may or may not alter my opinion or make me come to another further conclusion which then advances the discussion in a repetitious manner.
      11-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #58
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Snobbery would be saying this is how it is, simply because.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW
Corvette Z06's are bought for one of 2 purposes. Tracking, or mid-life crisis. Yes the latter is a stereotype. And yes, its true.

Such juicy irony.

Okay seriously, whose gimmick account is this??? Job well done.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #59
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ah I see, you're just trolling. Carry on then.
lol

I'm not actually. You proposed the situation. So, you must of have some specific model of BMW in your head when you typed it out. I appologise but I am not a mind reader. It's not my responsibility to make your comparison make sense.

I respect your attempt at switching that on me though.
      11-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #60
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
wow this thread has gone to hell. Another one e90post thread bites the dust :rolleyes

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #61
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Such juicy irony.

Okay seriously, whose gimmick account is this??? Job well done.
From Merriam-Webster:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/snob
Quote:
Main Entry: snob
Pronunciation: \ˈsnäb\
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1781
1British : cobbler
2: one who blatantly imitates, fawningly admires, or vulgarly seeks association with those regarded as social superiors
3 a: one who tends to rebuff, avoid, or ignore those regarded as inferior b: one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste
I don't see stereotyping listed there. I know its easy to resort to personal insults and bashing of the like (especially on the internetz), but can we get off the subject of me, and back to the original topic?

As a consolation, I believe I've gone this entire discussion with a personal quip towards anyone, while I have received quite a few though some were indirect.

The stereotype of the mid-life crisis is debatable, and purely coincidental if it applies to anyone in this current conversation.
      11-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #62
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy85 View Post
wow this thread has gone to hell. Another one e90post thread bites the dust :rolleyes
agreed.
      11-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #63
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy85 View Post
Yeah, dictionary boy trolled the thread into the ground. Another BMW fanboy gets his wish, he kicked enough sand around to make his point.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #64
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, dictionary boy trolled the thread into the ground. Another BMW fanboy gets his wish, he kicked enough sand around to make his point.
Yeah, smartz are bad. Who uses a dictionary?

If you want to flame me, feel free to do so via private message. Stop being a drama queen.
      11-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #65
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep

Drives: Z4M

damn this thread got crazy since i got back from class lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #66
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Yeah, smartz are bad.
Yeah, smart people would be able to spell chiropractor.

Now stop following me.

Appreciate 0