New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

06-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #243
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
It's like they're taking turns.. not so much 'competitive' ala Bull's era, more interactive.. like if one guy is winning, then you must be losing.. times are different
I am not one for conspiracies... but it's pretty damn shocking to see one team run another over, then reverse it the next game... the NBA is up to something...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #244
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I am not one for conspiracies... but it's pretty damn shocking to see one team run another over, then reverse it the next game... the NBA is up to something...
i was thinking the same thing, then i said to myself, must not think like those ppl on bimmerpost

i think it's just a millenial disposition to give up.. in other words, SOFT (as in, opposite of hard)

as steve kerr said, when asked whats up with curry, "i don't know"
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #245
Boxtyp3
Major
Philippines
Rep

Drives: 2015 F32 MG

Garage List
2015 F32 435  [0.00]
2002 E46 cp  [0.00]
2010 E82 135i  [0.00]
2013 E92 335i  [0.00]
I totally don't get this series. That's all I can say.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #246
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtyp3 View Post
I totally don't get this series. That's all I can say.
In other words, it's become like the stock market, up one day then down the next, with no perceptible logic to it
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #247
csu87
Banned
Rep

Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Has basketball changed in the last 10yrs, last time I watched it seriously was when Yao Ming played

It seems like the game is decided on the first several shots.. then everyone just gives up and fits into their winner/loser role
I wonder if it's a millenial thing, guys over 30 will remember a time when u didn't go down without a fight.. at least giving some effort
I don't get it
I think analytics has played a big part in this. Coaches have analysis of every aspect of the game, so when they see that a game not in their favor, they start to play conservatively and rest guys to get them ready for the next game.

Especially in a best of 7 series; all you need to do is be the 1st to win 4. Doesnt matter if you get blown out in 3, if you win 4.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #248
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
I think analytics has played a big part in this. Coaches have analysis of every aspect of the game, so when they see that a game not in their favor, they start to play conservatively and rest guys to get them ready for the next game.

Especially in a best of 7 series; all you need to do is be the 1st to win 4. Doesnt matter if you get blown out in 3, if you win 4.
yeah, or home court advantage is big of a deal, they might as well save energy for the next game
i wonder, do these teams like not eat anything outside their own chef except anomously to avoid getting food poisoned and crap, so like playing an away game is like going into a war zone
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #249
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
The Cavs shot terrifically where the Warriors shot poorly. Not much the refs or the NBA can do about that.

Shooting percentages are almost completely reversed between Games 1/2 and Game 3.

Similar to what I said in the OKC series though, GS shot way worse than normal and the Cavs shot way better. Not sure if they can sustain that through a whole series. I dont see GS continuing to shoot this poorly, while I dont think the Cavs will be able to shoot this well in 3/4 games
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #250
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
yeah, or home court advantage is big of a deal, they might as well save energy for the next game
i wonder, do these teams like not eat anything outside their own chef except anomously to avoid getting food poisoned and crap, so like playing an away game is like going into a war zone
They always say that players shoot better at home than away, but i didnt fully believe that till last night. Has to be something in the food or the hotel or that Curry misses Roni Rose
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #251
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
They always say that players shoot better at home than away, but i didnt fully believe that till last night. Has to be something in the food or the hotel or that Curry misses Roni Rose
That's why it's so unbelievable when long time ago, don't know if it still happens now, teams swap games on each other's homecourts.. like the less comfortable they were, the better they played..
ofcourse taken to the other extreme it could flip..

did u see how high lebron/brick got for that alleyoop? it's like he's holding back cuz ppl will say he's too atheletic it's unfair
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #252
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That's why it's so unbelievable when long time ago, don't know if it still happens now, teams swap games on each other's homecourts.. like the less comfortable they were, the better they played..
ofcourse taken to the other extreme it could flip..

did u see how high lebron/brick got for that alleyoop? it's like he's holding back cuz ppl will say he's too atheletic it's unfair
yeah thought he was gonna hit his head on the backboard.

The way sports have taken over everyones lives in the last couple years, I could definitely see some shady things happening out of town now vs back in the day.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 11:05 AM   #253
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
yeah thought he was gonna hit his head on the backboard.

The way sports have taken over everyones lives in the last couple years, I could definitely see some shady things happening out of town now vs back in the day.
it's the betting that goes on that could effect games.. where there's money there's incentive.. or the guy just doesn't like a team, how hard is it for a cook at a restaurant to put something dirty in their dishes, it's impossible to play if you have an upset stomach, thats a virtue guarantee to influence a game.. they could find out, but it would be too late and there's no recourse.. also there's no penalty, the risk-reward is too enticing, IMO, like just pull the fire alarm at their hotel or something.. then they're fucked.. which is why so much depends on honor.. or accepting your just going to lose on away, just hope u don't get permanently poisoned and win the home game
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #254
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
It's like they're taking turns.. not so much 'competitive' ala Bull's era, more interactive.. like if one guy is winning, then you must be losing.. times are different

Comparing eras in sports no more than a keyboard exercise. As a general statement, athletes have gotten better over time, not worse. Any sport that can be measured by time proves that. Yes, the Bull's may have been better, but who knows what would happen if today's Cavs or Warriors played them. The answer is nobody. All we have is fans and sports show talking heads guessing this and that about what might have happened. Great entertainment value but not much more.

I could say the 1969 Celtics or the Lakers for that matter could have been Jordan's Bulls. What does it mean? Nothing.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #255
Boxtyp3
Major
Philippines
Rep

Drives: 2015 F32 MG

Garage List
2015 F32 435  [0.00]
2002 E46 cp  [0.00]
2010 E82 135i  [0.00]
2013 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
In other words, it's become like the stock market, up one day then down the next, with no perceptible logic to it
Got that one right! Atleast we all know in the stock market there's something really going on at the backstage.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 11:48 AM   #256
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Has basketball changed in the last 10yrs, last time I watched it seriously was when Yao Ming played

It seems like the game is decided on the first several shots.. then everyone just gives up and fits into their winner/loser role
I wonder if it's a millenial thing, guys over 30 will remember a time when u didn't go down without a fight.. at least giving some effort
I don't get it
nah, NBA has been this way since the 90s when I started watching it. The game is so damn long now too...so coaches plan the game out in 5-minute segments.

Basically the concept is, you need to outplay, outscore your opponents in each 5-minute segment of the game. This applies to sections of the game where 2-team and 3rd-team players are on the court too.

When you see a game last night where one team never has the lead and the margin slowly expands out to 10, then 15, then 20, etc, that's a sign that the other team is winning each 5-minute segment. The starters are beaten in their segments, then the backups themselves are further beaten by their counterparts.

I do want to add though, I have noticed teams are playing the Greg Popovich mentality, that is, win the games that can be easily won with the least amount of effort, and only use starters when the game is still competitive.

The W's certainly did not have to win last night. Why expend Curry and Klay when it's obviously not their night? W's only have to win 2 more tough games, and none has to be in Cleveland. W's MUST win game 5, so you'll see much more effort.

Shitty experience for the fans that pay big money though. This is why I love watching college football. Every game counts, every play counts, how you win and how you lose counts. THAT is real pressure and makes the fan experience at the games much more intense. Same applies to home-away soccer tournaments as well. If you take cumulative scoring into effect or even goal differential, you cannot afford to get blown out.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 06-09-2016 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #257
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Comparing eras in sports no more than a keyboard exercise. As a general statement, athletes have gotten better over time, not worse. Any sport that can be measured by time proves that. Yes, the Bull's may have been better, but who knows what would happen if today's Cavs or Warriors played them. The answer is nobody. All we have is fans and sports show talking heads guessing this and that about what might have happened. Great entertainment value but not much more.

I could say the 1969 Celtics or the Lakers for that matter could have been Jordan's Bulls. What does it mean? Nothing.
not comparing to see who'd win

but rather the qualitative differences.. ofcourse players now are much better, but psychologically this may not be the case

or put another way, an average player can beat an elite player if the the average player possesses superior psychology
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #258
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtyp3 View Post
Got that one right! Atleast we all know in the stock market there's something really going on at the backstage.
the Efficient Market Hypotheses states thats games are unpredictable
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #259
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:

you definitely will shoot better at home, when your mental state takes over. I played bball. It's just the comfort of your surroundings. I'll play in the same gym for 95% time, but then the moment you move to another court, everything feels different.
      06-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #260
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
nah, NBA has been this way since the 90s when I started watching it. The game is so damn long now too...so coaches plan the game out in 5-minute segments.

Basically the concept is, you need to outplay, outscore your opponents in each 5-minute segment of the game. This applies to sections of the game where 2-team and 3rd-team players are on the court too.

When you see a game last night where one team never has the lead and the margin slowly expands out to 10, then 15, then 20, etc, that's a sign that the other team is winning each 5-minute segment. The starters are beaten in their segments, then the backups themselves are further beaten by their counterparts.

I do want to add though, I have noticed teams are playing the Greg Popovich mentality, that is, win the games that can be easily won with the least amount of effort, and only use starters when the game is still competitive.

The W's certainly did not have to win last night. Why expend Curry and Klay when it's obviously not their night? W's only have to win 2 more tough games, and none has to be in Cleveland. W's MUST win game 5, so you'll see much more effort.

Shitty experience for the fans that pay big money though. This is why I love watching college football. Every game counts, every play counts, how you win and how you lose counts. THAT is real pressure and makes the fan experience at the games much more intense. Same applies to home-away soccer tournaments as well. If you take cumulative scoring into effect or even goal differential, you cannot afford to get blown out.
very insightful, thanks

i get that every player has an expendable 'fatigue' limit.

some of these coaches must spend insane amounts of time planning and mapping every possible scenario.. then u have player/leaders like jordan that set a 'mentality' where the focus is on maintaining a mindset or mood in the players, rather than executing like soldiers via the coach
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #261
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
you definitely will shoot better at home, when your mental state takes over. I played bball. It's just the comfort of your surroundings. I'll play in the same gym for 95% time, but then the moment you move to another court, everything feels different.
I never had issues at away gyms when I played bball, or any other sport for that matter. Could be I practiced in all kinds of environments throughout the year, that I got comfortable with not being comfortable in one spot.

I cant imagine a pro would fall victim to this if a bum player like me didnt.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #262
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
it's the betting that goes on that could effect games.. where there's money there's incentive.. or the guy just doesn't like a team, how hard is it for a cook at a restaurant to put something dirty in their dishes, it's impossible to play if you have an upset stomach, thats a virtue guarantee to influence a game.. they could find out, but it would be too late and there's no recourse.. also there's no penalty, the risk-reward is too enticing, IMO, like just pull the fire alarm at their hotel or something.. then they're fucked.. which is why so much depends on honor.. or accepting your just going to lose on away, just hope u don't get permanently poisoned and win the home game
Didn't this happen to Kobe in Sacramento years back? Hotel cheeseburger got him sick prior to game.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #263
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
Didn't this happen to Kobe in Sacramento years back? Hotel cheeseburger got him sick prior to game.
haha prob was deliberate then.. with the sheer number of ppl out there, there's gotta be someone who thinks your a rapist/asshole/dickhead and who would actually do something about it
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #264
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
haha prob was deliberate then.. with the sheer number of ppl out there, there's gotta be someone who thinks your a rapist/asshole/dickhead and who would actually do something about it
my bet is that it had to do with the game outcome and not personal. but who knows?
Appreciate 0