New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-07-2022, 04:05 PM   #7283
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

I've asked several cops over many years "where were you hiding", but they weren't very talkative on that subject.
      12-07-2022, 04:09 PM   #7284
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
No, a flush.
Give Kim Jong-Un a chance.....

12-07-2022, 04:14 PM   #7285
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBradley1967 View Post
I've asked several cops over many years "where were you hiding", but they weren't very talkative on that subject.
Honestly, much of the time we hide in plain sight. I've sat at intersections in plain view and people commit violations right in front of me and exclaim, "I didn't see you!"

I happily write those citations because if a person isn't paying attention even while my Shamu is parked right in front of them (…sometimes with my overhead lights flashing), then they truly deserve the penalty.
Appreciate 8
Buug95917180.00
vreihen1615143.50
M5Rick59634.50
mahalom3163.00
      12-07-2022, 04:25 PM   #7286
Dino GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post

Another great eye opener.
That was awesome, thanks for posting
That goes to show you what could happen to a police officer during a routine traffic stop.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24980.50
T0RM3NT3604.50
      12-07-2022, 04:32 PM   #7287
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino GT View Post
Quote:

Another great eye opener.
That was awesome, thanks for posting
That goes to show you what could happen to a police officer during a routine traffic stop.
Yep! We have a saying, "No traffic stop is ever routine"……and it's true. I treat every stop with the same care and/or caution because it can go sideways at any moment.
Appreciate 4
Dino GT35131.50
T0RM3NT3604.50
mahalom3163.00
      12-07-2022, 04:49 PM   #7288
Dino GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yep! We have a saying, "No traffic stop is ever routine"……and it's true. I treat every stop with the same care and/or caution because it can go sideways at any moment.
A lot of people don't realize that a police officer puts his life in danger every single day just doing his job. We just go about our daily lives in our own ways and then get pissed off when we get a ticket I haven't gotten a ticket in years (knock on wood )

I'm sure that after a few minutes of you talking to a person you can tell if that person is up to something or if you are not in danger?
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24980.50
      12-07-2022, 05:03 PM   #7289
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
...people commit violations right in front of me and exclaim, "I didn't see you!"
Like committing the violation in front of you was the issue, not the violation itself!
Appreciate 1
Esteban43369.00
      12-07-2022, 05:22 PM   #7290
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Like committing the violation in front of you was the issue, not the violation itself!
It didn't happen if no one saw it.
      12-07-2022, 06:04 PM   #7291
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
A lot of people don't realize that a police officer puts his life in danger every single day just doing his job. We just go about our daily lives in our own ways and then get pissed off when we get a ticket I haven't gotten a ticket in years (knock on wood )

I'm sure that after a few minutes of you talking to a person you can tell if that person is up to something or if you are not in danger?
For the most part, but people will surprise you. In general, however, someone who has something to hide will act suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
...people commit violations right in front of me and exclaim, "I didn't see you!"
It demonstrates to me how little concern the person has.
Appreciate 2
Dino GT35131.50
mahalom3163.00
      12-07-2022, 06:22 PM   #7292
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

My comment above was in regard to I'm sure how some of these people think if they're not seen. Like hiding in plain sight. Unbelievable what they think they can get away with.

Last edited by Esteban; 12-07-2022 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 11:07 PM   #7293
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: M4 Comp

Anyone see the news out of phoenix of the dude shooting at cops and the cops beat the crap out of him inside the QT?

They’re being hit with felonies lol. Why would anyone want to be a cop this is such a joke
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24980.50
Todd0131379.50
      12-07-2022, 11:21 PM   #7294
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: M4 Comp

Here's the video. Shoot at cops (or anyone) and you deserve to get your ass kicked. Our society is a joke

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 07:40 AM   #7295
Dino GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Anyone see the news out of phoenix of the dude shooting at cops and the cops beat the crap out of him inside the QT?

They’re being hit with felonies lol. Why would anyone want to be a cop this is such a joke
With all the people with cell phones recording everything that goes on in the world today, you can`t do that. The police officers should know better. But it`s easier said than done. They probably lost it and didn`t think what could happen to them later.

You take him in and then he falls down the stairs is the appropriate way to handle things today
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24980.50
      12-08-2022, 10:45 AM   #7296
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post

Quote:
With all the people with cell phones recording everything that goes on in the world today, you can`t do that. The police officers should know better. But it`s easier said than done. They probably lost it and didn`t think what could happen to them later.

You take him in and then he falls down the stairs is the appropriate way to handle things today

Restraint is a volatile animal. After such an ordeal I can understand how/why they showed the suspect some love, but yes, we have to turn down the knob and bring the boil to a simmer or else we easily find ourselves being the target of the District Attorney’s proverbial bullets. This is a clown world now. All of those in my profession have to…..need to……constantly remind themselves of this new reality. Park under a tree, answer calls for service, and set your proactive tendencies to the side. It’s just not worth it anymore if you want any chance of making it to the end with your freedom, your faculties and your pension intact.
Appreciate 5
Dino GT35131.50
vreihen1615143.50
Buug95917180.00
      12-08-2022, 11:51 AM   #7297
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
or else we easily find ourselves being the target of the District Attorney’s proverbial bullets.
Wait, I thought Gascon survived the recall
      12-08-2022, 09:26 PM   #7298
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Wait, I thought Gascon survived the recall
He did!

…and we lost our Sheriff……the people’s Sheriff. What we have now remains to be seen.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      12-09-2022, 12:40 AM   #7299
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: G20

Brother Sedan, I have been following this thread for many years. Honestly, I think your commander/deputy should be aware of your contributions. Have you ever thought about it that way?

What you’re doing here is no doubt God’s work… answering questions, busting myths, fact checking, challenging fears, restoring faith in justice, connecting with the community… as if your service wasn’t enough your contribution continues to serve the public online. My guess is you don’t even get paid for that so you’re a giving person.

If there is anyway you’d allow me to convey my thanks to your superiors on the forums behalf please consider it. I know you’re not in it for fame and recognition from your posts.

If you want to remain anonymous then that’s cool. Or if your bosses would have concerns about you posting online etc.

Update. Grateful to Murf the Surf too and anyone else I have missed.
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
      12-09-2022, 02:04 AM   #7300
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Brother Sedan, I have been following this thread for many years. Honestly, I think your commander/deputy should be aware of your contributions. Have you ever thought about it that way?

What you're doing here is no doubt God's work… answering questions, busting myths, fact checking, challenging fears, restoring faith in justice, connecting with the community… as if your service wasn't enough your contribution continues to serve the public online. My guess is you don't even get paid for that so you're a giving person.

If there is anyway you'd allow me to convey my thanks to your superiors on the forums behalf please consider it. I know you're not in it for fame and recognition from your posts.

If you want to remain anonymous then that's cool. Or if your bosses would have concerns about you posting online etc.
That was a really meaningful, genuine and thoughtful post. Thank you for that brother! There are many of my brothers/sisters in blue - from other parts of the country/world - who regularly contribute to this thread (…or who have contributed to this thread over the years) and who help bridge the chasm between the public and law enforcement; sharing perspectives and helping provide context for the things displayed and distributed by the media absent context.

This thread wouldn't be successful without everybody's contribution(s) on both sides. Everybody who asks the questions, challenges their own beliefs, challenges my posts and the posts of other LEO's in this thread, etc. People/we have to be willing to engage in discussion in order to stimulate critical thinking and effect change (…both in law enforcement conduct and the accountability of those who commit crimes against property and person(s)).

I would rather stay relatively anonymous here, but absolutely reachable for those that truly need assistance or just want to banter over a meal. I've met a small handful of the people who have contributed to this thread and I look forward to meeting many more. I just want to remain a resource.
Appreciate 9
Soul_Glo13343.50
Dang3r12508.50
Dino GT35131.50
jamesinaz1643.50
________4158.50
mahalom3163.00
Buug95917180.00
dmatre664.50
      12-09-2022, 07:28 PM   #7301
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
OK, new questions. And I recognize traffic laws may vary by state but I think this is common stuff.

Driving along on a roadway divided by a median of curbs, landscaping, rocks etc. 50 MPH secondary roads. Ambulance or Firetruck is coming at you on the other side with lights on. Am I still supposed to pull over? It isn't as if he is going to jump the curb and use my lane.

Same situation but on a major highway separated by a ditch 30 feet wide. Again approaching from the other direction sirens and lights. Pull over?

How about the above when a school bus has it's stop sign extended?

Lastly when does playing the sovereign citizen card actually work? Asking for a friend.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 07:35 PM   #7302
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
OK, new questions. And I recognize traffic laws may vary by state but I think this is common stuff.

Driving along on a roadway divided by a median of curbs, landscaping, rocks etc. 50 MPH secondary roads. Ambulance or Firetruck is coming at you on the other side with lights on. Am I still supposed to pull over? It isn't as if he is going to jump the curb and use my lane.

Same situation but on a major highway separated by a ditch 30 feet wide. Again approaching from the other direction sirens and lights. Pull over?

How about the above when a school bus has it's stop sign extended?

Lastly when does playing the sovereign citizen card actually work? Asking for a friend.
With a raised concrete center median, it is VERY unlikely an emergency vehicle is going to drive over it and risk damaging the undercarriage. Trust me, I've done it and I have seen others do it, and it isn't fun getting stuck on the median due to clearance issues. You're good to just keep on rolling. If we needed to get onto that side of the road we would just roll safely into oncoming traffic. The same applies to the ditch scenario. We're no good to anybody if I/we disable our vehicle(s) prior to arriving on scene. You shall stop for the school bus with the "STOP" sign extended. Failing to do so is a relatively expensive ticket if observed by law enforcement.

P.S. Playing sovereign citizen is an easy way to get your windows busted out and physically pulled from the vehicle. LOL! Play at your own risk!
Appreciate 2
Buug95917180.00
jamesinaz1643.50
      12-09-2022, 07:49 PM   #7303
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
So if there is a curb/median the law doesn't mean I have to pull over? I realize it is really unlikely unless traffic is dead stopped and it's a low curb and obviously if I saw them doing it I would pull over. But if I'm just driving along and they are going the other way I'm not in violation of the law am I?

As to sovereign citizen what if I hate my window tint?

I love watching those videos. I wonder sometimes do they really think that is gonna work? Seems they do.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 07:50 PM   #7304
________
________
Rep

Drives: ________

Quote:
With a raised concrete center median, it is VERY unlikely an emergency vehicle is going to drive over it and risk damaging the undercarriage. Trust me, I've done it and I have seen others do it, and it isn't fun getting stuck on the median due to clearance issues. You're good to just keep on rolling. If we needed to get onto that side of the road we would just roll safely into oncoming traffic. The same applies to the ditch scenario. We're no good to anybody if I/we disable our vehicle(s) prior to arriving on scene. You shall stop for the school bus with the "STOP" sign extended. Failing to do so is a relatively expensive ticket if observed by law enforcement.

P.S. Playing sovereign citizen is an easy way to get your windows busted out and physically pulled from the vehicle. LOL! Play at your own risk!
It’s different in Canada.
This stopping law is only for undivided highways/streets.
If there’s a divider, no stop is needed (ambulances, cops, school buses, all the same).

Are you sure it’s different there or either one of us misunderstood the question?
Appreciate 0