New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

Closed Thread

12-27-2016, 10:42 AM   #9945
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 X1 28i

Winter Orchard by lennycarl08, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #9946
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Big buck contemplates a drink of water, before he steps into the Cherry Creek to drink:

That Looks So Good by David Stephens, on Flickr

Another high-ISO shot, at ISO 6400, with DxO PRIME noise reduction applied.
      12-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #9947
PourBoi-Jay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport

Very new to photography....but here's one of my favorites from my Christmas vacation in St. Vincent & The Grenadines...more to come

Untitled by Justin McIntosh, on Flickr

Last edited by PourBoi-Jay; 12-27-2016 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #9948
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PourBoi-Jay View Post
Very new to photography....but here's one of my favorites from my Christmas vacation in St. Vincent & The Grenadines...more to come
Well done. Nice composition Justin.

Next steps, if you're interested. Use something like Lightroom or DxO Optics Pro to take out that barrel distortion caused by that 18mm lens. I'd pull up the shadows a bit also.

The sky looks interesting, so I'd probably have shown a bit more sky and less of the brown walk down below. In other words, get closer to the "rule of thirds." That a rule made to be broken, but when the sky is interesting, you show it off, usually.

99% of the images in this thread have been "tweaked" a bit. Not so much "heavy Photoshopping", although that's welcome, but more like adjusting Shadow and Highlight levels, correcting geometric distortion, raising Contrast a bit and adding Noise Reduction, if needed.

You can process as little or as much as you like. Just letting you know what the general trend is on this Thread, in case your wondering. Everyone is welcome.
      12-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #9949
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post

Next steps, if you're interested. Use something like Lightroom or DxO Optics Pro to take out that barrel distortion caused by that 18mm lens. I'd pull up the shadows a bit also.

The sky looks interesting, so I'd probably have shown a bit more sky and less of the brown walk down below. In other words, get closer to the "rule of thirds." That a rule made to be broken, but when the sky is interesting, you show it off, usually.

99% of the images in this thread have been "tweaked" a bit. Not so much "heavy Photoshopping", although that's welcome, but more like adjusting Shadow and Highlight levels, correcting geometric distortion, raising Contrast a bit and adding Noise Reduction, if needed.

You can process as little or as much as you like. Just letting you know what the general trend is on this Thread, in case your wondering. Everyone is welcome.
What he said. Also, you'll notice your corners are dark. Especially the lower ones. That's vignetting, also from the lens. Photoshop also has the lens corrections for that. I'm not sure what the DxO app costs, but the Photoshop bundle with Lightroom is $9.95/mo and well worth it. Either way you go, correcting for the lens distortions and vignetting is an important post-processing step.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #9950
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I was going back through some RAW files from our UK trip back in Sept. There are still a few I missed processing.

Tintern Abbey

Tintern Abbey
by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #9951
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

One more. This one shows what you can do with a 16mm lens when you shoot in portrait mode and then crop to landscape. Distortion can be virtually eliminated.

Tintern Abbey

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
jpnh1423.50
      12-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #9952
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Mark, that 16-35mm is a great little lens. At 16mm, does LR get rid of the geometric distortion?

Two great shots of that abbey.
      12-27-2016, 04:11 PM   #9953
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mark, that 16-35mm is a great little lens. At 16mm, does LR get rid of the geometric distortion?

Two great shots of that abbey.
I don't use LR, but PS does a good job of lining things up straight. You lose a bit of the shot around the edges, but it's worth the trade-off to get straight lines. Keeping the camera level also helps tremendously, although by doing so you tend to get a lot of foreground, which can be a waste. That second shot had a ton of foreground grass in the original portrait mode, so I cropped landscape and still ended up with a decent shot.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 06:30 PM   #9954
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Rep

Great shots Mark.

I really would like to travel to the UK again.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #9955
PourBoi-Jay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
What he said. Also, you'll notice your corners are dark. Especially the lower ones. That's vignetting, also from the lens. Photoshop also has the lens corrections for that. I'm not sure what the DxO app costs, but the Photoshop bundle with Lightroom is $9.95/mo and well worth it. Either way you go, correcting for the lens distortions and vignetting is an important post-processing step.

Wow! Thanks so much, guys! I wasn't expecting this kind of response. I really appreciate any and all forms of feedback, so please keep it coming!

i spent about 30 minutes out in this spot that day, and took pics from several different perspectives. Hers another untouched image of a lifeguard post at the top of that hill. I captured a bit more of the sky here, and the chair was terrific in person. Hopefully this does it some justice..

I'll also look in to processing my images a bit. Can you folks recommend any good literature for me to study up on? Sorry for the noob questions...

Thanks again!

Last edited by PourBoi-Jay; 12-27-2016 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 08:53 PM   #9956
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Rep

Intercepted! by lennycarl08, on Flickr
Appreciate 1
angelr187.50
      12-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #9957
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Christmas Sun-star At Sunset

Christmas Sun-star Sunset by David Stephens, on Flickr
      12-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #9958
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Ed, great shot of two juveniles rough-housing.
      12-27-2016, 09:29 PM   #9959
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Wow! Thanks so much, guys! I wasn't expecting this kind of response. I really appreciate any and all forms of feedback, so please keep it coming!

i spent about 30 minutes out in this spot that day, and took pics from several different perspectives. Hers another untouched image of a lifeguard post at the top of that hill. I captured a bit more of the sky here, and the chair was terrific in person. Hopefully this does it some justice..

I'll also look in to processing my images a bit. Can you folks recommend any good literature for me to study up on? Sorry for the noob questions...

Thanks again!
Welcome back and keep on coming.

This is a very nice shot, with pretty good composition. A classic error is that your horizon is not level. Almost all noob make this mistake, but once it's pointed out to you, you'll see it every time.

Those clouds look really interesting, so I would have emphasized them more and tried to get the tops of more clouds. I'm assuming that you're using a zoom and could have gone a little wider to catch more clouds.

There are more tutorials for Lightroom than any other software that I know of, BUT I'd recommend just diving in. It's pretty intuitive. After you've rolled around in it a bit, then take some tutorials.

Justin, I just looked over at your Flickr site and see two other, stronger versions of this scene. My favorite is this one, with a level horizon and the complete clouds:

12-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #9960
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Justin, I hope you don't mind, but I took my favorite of your shots and re-cropped it to get the horizon out of the center and remove some "blah" grass. All rules are meant to be broken, but, generally, don't put the horizon right in the center of your images. I do that when there's a reflection, but avoid it in most other situations:

JustinsShotAtShore by Justin Mcintosh, on Flickr

What do you think? If you want me to take this down, let me know.

BTW, you may want to change your Flickr settings so that just any Tom, Dick or David can steal your stuff.
      12-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #9961
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Rep

It was definitely "Eagle Day" this past Monday up at the NWR.

Bald Eagle #4 by lennycarl08, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #9962
PourBoi-Jay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Justin, I hope you don't mind, but I took my favorite of your shots and re-cropped it to get the horizon out of the center and remove some "blah" grass. All rules are meant to be broken, but, generally, don't put the horizon right in the center of your images. I do that when there's a reflection, but avoid it in most other situations:

JustinsShotAtShore by Justin Mcintosh, on Flickr

What do you think? If you want me to take this down, let me know.

BTW, you may want to change your Flickr settings so that just any Tom, Dick or David can steal your stuff.
Thanks so much for the tips! I've already been trying to implement them into all of my other shots. I don't have anything worth sharing today, but I'll be heading to an old fort tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have something noteworthy to post.

Love what you've done with that image, haha.

I only made a handful of my images public. The rest are private. I'll keep them all under lock and key from now on

Thanks again!!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #9963
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Thanks so much for the tips! I've already been trying to implement them into all of my other shots. I don't have anything worth sharing today, but I'll be heading to an old fort tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have something noteworthy to post.

Love what you've done with that image, haha.

I only made a handful of my images public. The rest are private. I'll keep them all under lock and key from now on

Thanks again!!
You're welcome.

You can make images Public in Flickr and still restrict the ability of others to right-click and download.

One last thought about the chair image. It looks slightly OOF (out of focus). Your f/11 f-stop should have provided ample DOF (depth of field), so I'm wondering if there's some camera shake. At 1/80-sec., you need to be very steady. Whenever you can get a lens with Image Stabilization or use a body that has it built in, use it. There's also a chance it's DOF. If so, move your AF point around to make sure it's on the chair. Turning on all the AF points and letting the camera make the choice is a recipe for OOF images.

Have fun,

Dave
      12-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #9964
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Squaw valley Lake Tahoe
Appreciate 2
Itsed652608.50
angelr187.50
      12-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #9965
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Lydiard House and Park in Swindon, UK. The house itself was nothing special, but the park had the most amazing looking trees.

Lydiard House and Park

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #9966
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Lydiard House and Park in Swindon, UK. The house itself was nothing special, but the park had the most amazing looking trees.
A tree-doctor did amazing things with the tree nearest the house.