New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-25-2020, 11:53 PM   #67
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Shift Happens!
Appreciate 2
wdb4673.00
Efthreeoh16943.00
      09-26-2020, 05:21 AM   #68
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
While I like manual transmissions and own a car with one, can you explain to the average car buyer that is only looking to get point to point (by far the majority) why he should get a manual? The "sales pitch" is that it is fun and more difficult but it's only fun if you enjoy doing it? Without "fun" the pitch is that it is more difficult and therefor you should buy it?

Every function of society continues to get more efficient and simpler, call it lazy if you want but the same "sales pitch" could also be used to try to convince someone not to use a navigation system and instead get out the paper maps and figure it out. Some enjoy paper maps and figuring it out but like the automatic transmission, most are just trying to get from point to point and the paper map is nothing more that an inefficient irritation.
My theory...

If more people drove manuals, there would be less traffic jams and fewer accidents. This means greater efficiency.

One man's opinion.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-26-2020 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      09-26-2020, 07:39 AM   #69
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

6 speed manual all day so long as the clutch is light press for traffic.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Moflow2484.50
      09-26-2020, 08:24 AM   #70
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Manual transmission in new cars in North America and parts of Europe will be relegated to a few cars that inspire the audience for it. Already mentioned on this forum. If/when people stop buying those cars with the option or don't fight back if taken away it will be finished. One by one they will fall; maybe the entire car model itself will just fade (does anyone REALLY want to drive an automatic Miata??).

VW Golf/Jetta/GTI
BMW M2/3/4
Porsche 718 series
Porsche 911 Carrera/GT3/R
Honda Civic SiR
Subaru WRX STI
Mazda Miata
Lotus ??
Aston Martins (thank goodness)
Alfa Romeo Guilia (Europe only)

All driver focused cars. Will be completely dead in the commuter car market. I know in Brazil they were driving a high take rate of manuals and have some unique commuter cars as a result but curious if that has changed in the past 9 year since I've been.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      09-26-2020, 08:34 AM   #71
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Manual transmission in new cars in North America and parts of Europe will be relegated to a few cars that inspire the audience for it. Already mentioned on this forum. If/when people stop buying those cars with the option or don't fight back if taken away it will be finished. One by one they will fall; maybe the entire car model itself will just fade (does anyone REALLY want to drive an automatic Miata??).

VW Golf/Jetta/GTI
BMW M2/3/4 - Sad, very sad...
Porsche 718 series
Porsche 911 Carrera/GT3/R
Honda Civic SiR
Subaru WRX STI
Mazda Miata
Lotus ??
Aston Martins (thank goodness)
Alfa Romeo Guilia (Europe only)

All driver focused cars. Will be completely dead in the commuter car market. I know in Brazil they were driving a high take rate of manuals and have some unique commuter cars as a result but curious if that has changed in the past 9 year since I've been.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 09:42 AM   #72
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
My theory...

If more people drove manuals, there would be less traffic jams and fewer accidents. This means greater efficiency.

One man's opinion.
............and less stolen cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #73
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
............and less stolen cars.
Well, no. Manuals keep cars from being stolen NOW. If more criminals knew how to drive a manual, more would get stolen.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      09-27-2020, 02:39 AM   #74
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep

Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post

I've read on car forums that real enthusiasts will choose a manual transmission over an automatic.
It's true. When everything is electric why would someone want an ICE automatic antique vehicle ? Automation was the downfall of ICE.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Efthreeoh16943.00
      09-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #75
Jbravo33
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2018 GT3

Whether I'm going 5, 50 or 150mph I'm engaged and connected at all times with the manual. No time for texting or talking, just driving. 0-60 aren't important to me on the street. For a track car sure dct, PdK all the way. Until I have track car money I will focus on my street car enjoyment.

If it is a dying bread then get your hands on one now because they will only be going up in value. I'd like to keep this one and give it to my 4yr old one day. I believe it will be a classic.
Attached Images

Lucky1639.50
3798j11167.00
Germanauto9665.50
Moflow2484.50
      09-27-2020, 01:58 PM   #76
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbravo33 View Post
Whether I'm going 5, 50 or 150mph I'm engaged and connected at all times with the manual. No time for texting or talking, just driving. 0-60 aren't important to me on the street. For a track car sure dct, PdK all the way. Until I have track car money I will focus on my street car enjoyment.

If it is a dying bread then get your hands on one now because they will only be going up in value. I'd like to keep this one and give it to my 4yr old one day. I believe it will be a classic.
The funny thing is I just go to the track for the enjoyment. I never time myself. I'm aware I'm getting better but heel toe on a long straight into the twisties is more fun for me than any PDK or DCT could offer. So MT on the track for me. Could care less about the seconds it loses me there either.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      09-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #77
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Drives: Pinto

Quote:
The funny thing is I just go to the track for the enjoyment. I never time myself. I'm aware I'm getting better but heel toe on a long straight into the twisties is more fun for me than any PDK or DCT could offer. So MT on the track for me. Could care less about the seconds it loses me there either.
I bought MT JUST for the track, same thing. .03 slower, who cares I just slammed 3rd and came out sideways. There is always a faster car, even DCT. Its the act, not the result.

Maybe a 200K supercar where you have to hang on with 2 hands
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
eluded2959.00
      09-27-2020, 03:32 PM   #78
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: rwd

Seems each year the debate rages on about the demise of the manual. Regardless of what we all think, if they're out there and it's in the right platform, they will sell. I could care less how fast or slow I go in my manual, but it is a hell of a lot more fun than clicking a paddle shifter. Both my bikes have quick shifters, up and down and it helps at certain times, but it's natural to be using both my hands also so it's less intrusive.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 07:27 PM   #79
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:

This post hit me right in the feels...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 09:39 PM   #80
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:

This post hit me right in the feels...
This is why Porsche gets my money these days. True MT enthusiast cars old and new.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 09:44 PM   #81
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is why Porsche gets my money these days. True MT enthusiast cars old and new.
Yeah even on their base models and CUVs you can tell the engineering is solid and the driver comes first. That's how BMW used to be even on the most basic car. My dad made the switch the Porsche after a lengthy love affair with BMW.

Unfortunately Porsches just keep getting pricier. Not too long ago a decently equipped Boxster S was pretty reasonably priced. Now it goes well over $80k for that 4-pot. These days it's only base Boxster/Cayman, Cayenne, or Macan S which fall in the more attainable range. The magic of BMW used to be that you used to get a driver's car with a luxurious interior for an attainable price.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      09-27-2020, 10:28 PM   #82
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Yeah even on their base models and CUVs you can tell the engineering is solid and the driver comes first. That's how BMW used to be even on the most basic car. My dad made the switch the Porsche after a lengthy love affair with BMW.

Unfortunately Porsches just keep getting pricier. Not too long ago a decently equipped Boxster S was pretty reasonably priced. Now it goes well over $80k for that 4-pot. These days it's only base Boxster/Cayman, Cayenne, or Macan S which fall in the more attainable range. The magic of BMW used to be that you used to get a driver's car with a luxurious interior for an attainable price.
Have you looked at house prices recently?

They are plenty attainable, for those that have the money.
      09-27-2020, 11:58 PM   #83
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Have you looked at house prices recently?

They are plenty attainable, for those that have the money.
Like everything, inflation outpaces salaries in all professions. Real estate, cars, student loans, dining out, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 12:14 AM   #84
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Life long manual transmission owner 1M+ driven miles, and drove professionally in city traffic. Took my driver's license test in a manual trans car.

So my opinion is MOST manumatics in the current vehicle fleet for sale are not millisecond-shifting DCT, but are computer-controlled torque converter automatics. The point of shifting yourself is, as the driver, you can see the road and traffic environment and decide when and what gear you want to use to make the driving move you want to make. In auto mode, no manumatic can emulate that level of driver control. So if you drive like I do, which is fully engaged in the driving activity and use the lack of other drivers attention to their environment to gracefully make your way through traffic, you need to keep a manumatic in manual mode. MOST manumatics still suck at shifting manually (read as SLOW and less precise), so my preference is to use a 3rd pedal and shift when and how fast I want to at ANYTIME I want.

The art of street driving is profiling the cars and drivers around you (i.e. part of the driving environment), so that you can better control the situation. As Murf said, who gives a shit about millisecond shift speeds for street driving.

One man's opinion and preference.
Basically agreed with this. My IS is my first 2-pedal car. I basically treat D mode as a warmup/cooldown mode so it can shift by 2k and I don't have to shift constantly. Otherwise I'm always shifting it manually because no trans yet can adapt to the traffic around you, downshift when you need to slow down.

I do notice that shifting can be slow in manual mode, in certain situations like shifting 2-3 mid turn (relaxed driving) it'll wait til you straighten out to actually shift, which is slightly annoying but at the same time we aren't typically shifting 3-pedal cars mid turn like that anyways.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 12:20 AM   #85
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
Basically agreed with this. My IS is my first 2-pedal car. I basically treat D mode as a warmup/cooldown mode so it can shift by 2k and I don't have to shift constantly. Otherwise I'm always shifting it manually because no trans yet can adapt to the traffic around you, downshift when you need to slow down.
Have you not heard about adaptive cruise control?
      09-28-2020, 12:22 AM   #86
Jonas4sberg
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 335i (E90 N55)

There is something to be said in here about how different cultures favor auto or manual more. The united states seems to lean heavily towards manual, where as places like Sweden or Italy seems to a lot closer to mostly manual. (Mind you im basing this off experience.)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 12:41 AM   #87
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Have you not heard about adaptive cruise control?
Of course I have but this would only apply if you drove with active cruise on at all times
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 12:42 AM   #88
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
Of course I have but this would only apply if you drove with active cruise on at all times
Well, your scenario was in traffic and adapting to the traffic around you. ACC is brilliant.
Appreciate 0