New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-19-2022, 07:42 PM   #5127
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Couldn't get past 2 episodes.
I am a huge LOTR fan and I have to say, this show is the moistest thing I have ever watched and I've watched some moist things in my life!

The dialogue is pure dribble and it has just gone on and on with nothing much happening.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2022, 09:14 PM   #5128
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
I am a huge LOTR fan and I have to say, this show is the moistest thing I have ever watched and I've watched some moist things in my life!

The dialogue is pure dribble and it has just gone on and on with nothing much happening.
Oh crap, that doesn't bode well, and I was saving that for after I finish HOTD. Darn.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 04:59 AM   #5129
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:

My wife is a big fan, I really never was but she gave up on it before me.
Appreciate 1
HFW0035696.50
      10-20-2022, 06:30 AM   #5130
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Quote:

The visual end of things are really well done but the dialog is just absurdly bad and mostly useless filler. I feel the story itself had potential but the writing just sunk it.
Appreciate 2
HFW0035696.50
      10-20-2022, 08:22 AM   #5131
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 G05

I'm looking forward to season 5 of Fargo. I think Jon Hamm is in it. Exciting.
Appreciate 1
happyjack1657.00
      10-20-2022, 10:13 AM   #5132
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

Quote:
Couldn't get past 2 episodes.
It got significantly better episodes 5 and on.

If you're a fan of the franchise, you can't miss these.

I am a ginormous fan of FANTASY! Netflix has this genre on lock down with:
The Witcher
Sandman
Fate Winx Saga
Warrior Nun
and more.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2022, 10:23 AM   #5133
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

No one's watching Andor? Last week's ep was soooo good.
      10-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #5134
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
we finished 'bad sisters' and really enjoyed it. great departure from all the serial dramas that we tend to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneS54 View Post
havent started yet, but it's on my list! reviews seem to indicate it's been generally getting better with each episode!

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 10:44 AM   #5135
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneS54 View Post
I generally don't rely on reviews, however, many fans are saying that it is very "dialog heavy and boring".
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 11:56 AM   #5136
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Oh crap, that doesn't bode well, and I was saving that for after I finish HOTD. Darn.
Ok, I'm 2 episodes in, it seems good to me; the dialogue at least during these episodes were crucial to the story. I guess maybe ppl are too used to Marvel Universe movies these days w explosions or something happening required every 5 seconds.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 01:52 PM   #5137
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003

Quote:
My wife is a big fan, I really never was but she gave up on it before me.
I couldn't disagree more.

It takes some time to develop for sure but the last two episodes were very good. It seems like people set expectations very high, read a bad first review and stopped watching after a couple of episodes.... The show is also setting up a complicated series of events. The background of the rings isn't so simple as the hobbit which was more of a children's book. This series goes deeper than the simple black/white themes of the previous movies.

The series makes you think more about the nuance of bad, good, mistakes that are made even by the best of us. Leaders push too hard and lose support of their teams. People want to believe things that are not true and allow themselves to think that they are, etc (avoiding spoilers as much as possible here).

As a hint without a spoiler: Much of the dialogue actually makes more sense after the last episode and you have to think back about what was actually said rather than what characters heard...

LOTR isn't just a senseless quick action movie with no real substance where the same characters are repeated at nauseum just so fans can see some slight variation of the same story again or a character can do a cameo from another similar movie for no reason to excite everyone. That is for Marvel comic movies.... If that is what people are looking for then I agree it isn't the right show.

There is a major plot line in the choices we make to be good or evil even when they might not be the most beneficial to us as individuals. The plot line of needing to do bold things because they are right. That is the bigger picture of the story IMO. I find that if I don't have to think back about what happened in a show after it is over then it really wasn't good... For that to be possible the audience has to miss things just like the characters did. That makes dialogue complicated with some hidden messages, etc.

Of course there is a backdrop of all that we know already an expect to happen. That is the classic prequel issue. This existed in Obi-Wan and other prequels where certain events are set and there is no changing them.

My opinion is that the house of the dragon is the one that is crap. All characters are unlikeable. It is just a thirst for power at all costs the antithesis of LOTR. Oh yea and the RR Martin seems to have some thirst for incest that just won't stop.

Shows have changed a lot over the past 20-30 years to be very fast paced. LOTR has always been slow. The last half hour of the original series to wrap it up was very slow and boring. The first hobbit movie had the whole party with singing and dancing segment at Bag End which was painful to watch and could have been skipped IMO.

I wonder if we watched many movies that we love for the first time today looking for instant gratification what we would think about them??

-Rich

Last edited by rbryantaz; 10-20-2022 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 2
TTM0TION425.00
      10-20-2022, 03:33 PM   #5138
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryantaz View Post
I couldn't disagree more.

It takes some time to develop for sure but the last two episodes were very good. It seems like people set expectations very high, read a bad first review and stopped watching after a couple of episodes.... The show is also setting up a complicated series of events. The background of the rings isn't so simple as the hobbit which was more of a children's book. This series goes deeper than the simple black/white themes of the previous movies.

The series makes you think more about the nuance of bad, good, mistakes that are made even by the best of us. Leaders push too hard and lose support of their teams. People want to believe things that are not true and allow themselves to think that they are, etc (avoiding spoilers as much as possible here).

As a hint without a spoiler: Much of the dialogue actually makes more sense after the last episode and you have to think back about what was actually said rather than what characters heard...

LOTR isn't just a senseless quick action movie with no real substance where the same characters are repeated at nauseum just so fans can see some slight variation of the same story again or a character can do a cameo from another similar movie for no reason to excite everyone. That is for Marvel comic movies.... If that is what people are looking for then I agree it isn't the right show.

There is a major plot line in the choices we make to be good or evil even when they might not be the most beneficial to us as individuals. The plot line of needing to do bold things because they are right. That is the bigger picture of the story IMO. I find that if I don't have to think back about what happened in a show after it is over then it really wasn't good... For that to be possible the audience has to miss things just like the characters did. That makes dialogue complicated with some hidden messages, etc.

Of course there is a backdrop of all that we know already an expect to happen. That is the classic prequel issue. This existed in Obi-Wan and other prequels where certain events are set and there is no changing them.

My opinion is that the house of the dragon is the one that is crap. All characters are unlikeable. It is just a thirst for power at all costs the antithesis of LOTR. Oh yea and the RR Martin seems to have some thirst for incest that just won't stop.

Shows have changed a lot over the past 20-30 years to be very fast paced. LOTR has always been slow. The last half hour of the original series to wrap it up was very slow and boring. The first hobbit movie had the whole party with singing and dancing segment at Bag End which was painful to watch and could have been skipped IMO.

I wonder if we watched many movies that we love for the first time today looking for instant gratification what we would think about them??

-Rich
I agree w all you wrote save for saying that HOTD is crap. It's different, that's for sure and nuanced as well. I get amused reading comments that are polar opposites to mine on YT saying this and this HOTD character is horrible, so that shows there are many interpretations (even though I think that I analyze more objectively than many haha).

It's difficult for me to compare these 2 series right now since I just started this prequel but I'm liking what I'm seeing despite some -ive reviews.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 04:53 PM   #5139
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
I agree w all you wrote save for saying that HOTD is crap. It's different, that's for sure and nuanced as well. I get amused reading comments that are polar opposites to mine on YT saying this and this HOTD character is horrible, so that shows there are many interpretations (even though I think that I analyze more objectively than many haha).

It's difficult for me to compare these 2 series right now since I just started this prequel but I'm liking what I'm seeing despite some -ive reviews.
It is fair that saying it is "crap"is premature.

I think that the last two episodes of HOTD have been the worst taking it in a negative trajectory for me. We will have to wait and see if it is a darkest before dawn moment or not....
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 04:57 PM   #5140
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

It's almost like people have different tastes.

Also, I don't know why people get so hung up on worrying if other people like what they like.
Appreciate 2
HFW0035696.50
RickFLM410981.00
      10-20-2022, 05:00 PM   #5141
TTM0TION
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto ZCP

Quote:
It is fair that saying it is "crap"is premature.

I think that the last two episodes of HOTD have been the worst taking it in a negative trajectory for me. We will have to wait and see if it is a darkest before dawn moment or not....
Wow, I liked the last two so much it gave me faith in season 2 LOL.
      10-20-2022, 05:17 PM   #5142
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

HOTD is NOT as great as GOT... Period.
But... It is definitely entertaining... Period.
IMO, they are setting up Season 2 for amazing.
Remember, this is my genre! I will be completely honest.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 05:41 PM   #5143
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
HOTD is NOT as great as GOT... Period.
But... It is definitely entertaining... Period.
IMO, they are setting up Season 2 for amazing.
Remember, this is my genre! I will be completely honest.
Overall, sure, maybe, but we haven't seen all of the HOTD yet obviously so the jury's still out. Vs s8 or even the latter seasons? Definitely HOTD>>>>GOT there.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 05:43 PM   #5144
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Episodes 8 and 9? I thought that the whole season has been quite consistently good for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 07:29 PM   #5145
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Episodes 8 and 9? I thought that the whole season has been quite consistently good for me.
I agree. Except first couple were pretty dry. Rest have been wonderful.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 07:59 PM   #5146
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep

Drives: A Car

Season 2 of HOTD will be excellent in my opinion, as that's when the source material really comes alive. Season 1 is mainly setup for the Dance of the Dragons as this season's material plays a smaller part of the book, hence why they had to include many time jumps. This week's finale will kick off the dance with a bang, and season 2 will be bringing the action!

As for character complaints, George RR Martin has gone on record saying the characters of Fire And Blood are very much "gray" and they are not the most root worthy. I do wish to see more of the Green's though in the series, specifically Aegon II and his dragon Sunfyre which plays a large part in the books, and is supposed to be one of the most beautiful dragons in all of Westeros. They showed a small glimpse of Sunfyre in episode 7, but was originally also part of Aegon II's coronation in the books, which was obviously changed for Rhaeny's scene.
      10-20-2022, 08:03 PM   #5147
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Watching THIS tonight right after Thursday Night Football, both on Amazon Prime!
Love me some Chloe...

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 06:33 AM   #5148
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

I watched the first episode of Succession some time ago and wasn't really getting into it. So last night we were looking for something else to start, we were going through options and my wife liked the description so we gave it a shot. Watched 3 episodes and my wife only nodded off for about 10 minutes. In my world that's 2 thumbs up.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410981.00