New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-09-2017, 01:23 AM   #1
bryanmcree
Registered
Rep

Drives: Mazda 3

Might be moving to Portland!

Hi guys.

I'm currently contemplating a job offer in Portland which will pay me between 70-75k annually.

I'm wondering how far that salary will go in Portland? Im in my Late 20s. Single. No debt. No student loans.

Also any suggestions on a nice and cheaper place to live in the area? Hopefully a modern apartment. I don't mind being 30-40 minutes away from Portland.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 01:29 AM   #2
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

You should be fine with that salary. While I'm not concrete on housing prices there, I'm affording a 5 bedroom, movie room, 3 bathroom, 3 car garage home about 30 min north of Seattle on slightly more pay and I assume Seattle area prices are higher than Portland. I've only been to Portland a few times, so I've got no advice where to look, but in short that salary should cover you pretty well there.

- Pros are that there's no tax and they pump your gas.
- Cons are 50mph highways, downtown is dirty as hell (trash everywhere, homeless tent neighborhoods, etc) and the roads sucks as in their full of potholes

Last edited by m5james; 02-09-2017 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 02:21 AM   #3
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep

Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Stay away, we have enough California transplants :P

Where in the PDX area will you be working? Downtown? North? East? West of the hills (i.e. Beaverton/Hillsboro/etc?)

Portland's housing market only just was bumped off as one of the hottest in the nation--inventory, both for purchase and rent isn't great, however there is a great variety of neighborhoods each offering their own unique feel. What I might recommend doing is making a trip up in advance to scope out the different parts of town.

Consider traffic flows too; you're open to living outside the city, fine, however note that like most cities traffic slows flowing in and out depending on the time of day (nothing unique) however the greater majority of residents are reliant upon the I-5 corridor, which is long-past capacity.

I was born in NW Portland and still haven't been able to leave, except for the obligatory time away for schooling and now much traveling to the Bay Area for work. I will end by sharing my favorite thing about PDX: a sunny day, driving south-bound on I-5 approaching the Marquam Bridge looking west toward the hill you really gain a sense for how the city was built "into" the forest, the building rising from the trees make for a stunning and entrancing view. I look forward to it every time I fly back in.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 03:28 AM   #4
bryanmcree
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
Stay away, we have enough California transplants :P

Where in the PDX area will you be working? Downtown? North? East? West of the hills (i.e. Beaverton/Hillsboro/etc?)

Portland's housing market only just was bumped off as one of the hottest in the nation--inventory, both for purchase and rent isn't great, however there is a great variety of neighborhoods each offering their own unique feel. What I might recommend doing is making a trip up in advance to scope out the different parts of town.

Consider traffic flows too; you're open to living outside the city, fine, however note that like most cities traffic slows flowing in and out depending on the time of day (nothing unique) however the greater majority of residents are reliant upon the I-5 corridor, which is long-past capacity.

I was born in NW Portland and still haven't been able to leave, except for the obligatory time away for schooling and now much traveling to the Bay Area for work. I will end by sharing my favorite thing about PDX: a sunny day, driving south-bound on I-5 approaching the Marquam Bridge looking west toward the hill you really gain a sense for how the city was built "into" the forest, the building rising from the trees make for a stunning and entrancing view. I look forward to it every time I fly back in.

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at multiple job offers at the moment. Some seem to be in Downtown area. Others are outside the city (Happy Valley, Beaverton, etc.) I also don't mind working outside the city. Any recommended smaller city/suburb near Portland? I just prefer to work near Portland because I have family who will probably visit often and I prefer to be 30 mins to an hour away from an international airport.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 03:29 AM   #5
bryanmcree
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
You should be fine with that salary. While I'm not concrete on housing prices there, I'm affording a 5 bedroom, movie room, 3 bathroom, 3 car garage home about 30 min north of Seattle on slightly more pay and I assume Seattle area prices are higher than Portland. I've only been to Portland a few times, so I've got no advice where to look, but in short that salary should cover you pretty well there.

- Pros are that there's no tax and they pump your gas.
- Cons are 50mph highways, downtown is dirty as hell (trash everywhere, homeless tent neighborhoods, etc) and the roads sucks as in their full of potholes

Yeah I've heard about that they pump the gas for you. No sales tax is a bonus
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 04:35 AM   #6
last1left
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e92 M3

Forest grove or Hillsboro would be good choices only down fall is the traffic going into Ptown.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep

Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanmcree View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at multiple job offers at the moment. Some seem to be in Downtown area. Others are outside the city (Happy Valley, Beaverton, etc.) I also don't mind working outside the city. Any recommended smaller city/suburb near Portland? I just prefer to work near Portland because I have family who will probably visit often and I prefer to be 30 mins to an hour away from an international airport.

Cheers!
Happy Valley is a nice area, north of HWY 26 and less congestion as a result.

Beaverton is a great community, good schools, good local governance--has a reputation for feeling like an off-shoot of Portland-proper rather than its own flavor however.

What I'd strong consider doing is locating close to the MAX line as to enable walking toward a station and hopping aboard for a quick and convenient trip to downtown Portland, with also the ability to ride to PDX if need be. I previously lived in Hillsboro, Orenco Station specifically--I cannot rave enough about my experience there; across the street was a New Seasons (locally run grocer with a few locations around the area, and THE go-to, fantastic pricing, great local produce selection,) a Kitchen Kaboodle (again, locally run housing goods store,) and a number of coffee places. To boot it was also within a 3-5 minute walk to the MAX station which enabled a 35-minute ride into down-town.

Another area to look, south, is Lake Oswego--this is more an old feeling community, lots of housing options and a bit known as being the hub for executives and "was the" types In Lake Oswego is also one of the best race shops in the area, AR Auto.

Quote:
Yeah I've heard about that they pump the gas for you. No sales tax is a bonus
No sales tax, yes--however our income tax and property taxes (depending on county, likely Multnomah/Washington) can be rather, impressive.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I lived in the Seattle area up until recently and have been to Portland a few times. There is some decent nightlife in one of the outskirts of downtown and a lot of new development going on downtown.

Take a stroll toward Alberta st. if you wanna see a raw hipster neighborhood. I now understand why they say to "keep Portland weird." But please, OP, don't become another annoying hipster
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 12:20 AM   #9
NW 335i
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 335i 6MT

Hope you like a shit load of rain, going for weeks without seeing the sun, and traffic. Everyone is coming to Portland. The city/infrastructure can't handle any more people. Our fucking freeways are jammed packed these days w out of state license plates.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 04:23 AM   #10
bryanmcree
Registered
Rep

This will potentially be my 1st time living in a location that snows! what are your experiences with BMW RWD or AWD on snow? Do AWD BMWs need snow tires?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 06:17 AM   #11
last1left
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This will potentially be my 1st time living in a location that snows! what are your experiences with BMW RWD or AWD on snow? Do AWD BMWs need snow tires?
It doesn't snow that much more rain than snow, snow tires aren't required in my opinion, spring and summer are great... if you like four seasons this is the place for you. There are lots of beautiful places to go on spirited drives
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 06:34 AM   #12
saleen556
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by last1left View Post
Forest grove or Hillsboro would be good choices only down fall is the traffic going into Ptown.
I'm in FG born and raised. It's nice out here as well as housing is a bit cheaper. There is new home building going on as well. I work in Portland and traffic isn't really bad unless you work 9-5.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #13
saleen556
Captain
Rep

Quote:
We picked up an X5 for the wife this last year. It's been great in the snow with the stock tires. We don't get snow often enough here to really worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #14
last1left
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
I'm in FG born and raised. It's nice out here as well as housing is a bit cheaper. There is new home building going on as well. I work in Portland and traffic isn't really bad unless you work 9-5.
I was born and raised in Oakland but live in Lake Oswego and drive to Hillsboro I work for Intel.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 08:43 AM   #15
saleen556
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I was born and raised in Oakland but live in Lake Oswego and drive to Hillsboro I work for Intel.
Intel is great. My brother inlaw has been there for almost 20 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #16
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Minus View Post
Hope you like a shit load of rain, going for weeks without seeing the sun, and traffic. Everyone is coming to Portland. The city/infrastructure can't handle any more people. Our fucking freeways are jammed packed these days w out of state license plates.
Rain and hipsters are the only things I don't miss about the NW.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #17
bryanmcree
Registered
Rep

Quote:
We picked up an X5 for the wife this last year. It's been great in the snow with the stock tires. We don't get snow often enough here to really worry about it.
So can I get a RWD BMW then? No problems in the winter?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #18
bryanmcree
Registered
Rep

Quote:

How is Lake Oswego? Nice?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #19
last1left
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Intel is great. My brother inlaw has been there for almost 20 years.
Yes a great company I use to work for IBM down town PO
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #20
vividracing
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

I moved from California to Portland and i HATED IT! I lasted exactly 364 days before i had enough and moved away. Rain sucks, traffic REALLY sucks, people are weird (no offense), and I just wasnt happy. Most of the nicer places are on the west side, but everyone knows that, so they all live over there which makes the traffic a nightmare.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      02-10-2017, 01:46 PM   #21
last1left
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How is Lake Oswego? Nice?
A very nice town I suggested the other two towns because of less congestion, but the people are great around here I love it Portland a cool town too the diversity awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #22
saleen556
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So can I get a RWD BMW then? No problems in the winter?

Cheers!
Yes I survived for years with rear wheel drive. Both mustangs and camaros. Snow storms are rare. We normally don't see more than a day or two of snow a year. This has been a rare year of multiple snow storms though.
Appreciate 0